January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. daryl v johnson

i'am a black man who was undecided who too support. but after hearing that caroline is supporting obama i have too take another look. seriously.
    for her too endorse anyone it is major.

January 26, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  2. George from Minneapolis

I pray for America's sake that American's are not as dumb as the Clinton's think they are. Thank God South Carolinans can think for themselves and saw through the Clinton's divisive message.

Contrary to what the Clinton's say, Obama is not the black candidate, he is THE BEST CANDIDATE for ALL of American's.

January 26, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  3. AL.

why is it that a lot of American people could not see through these candidates to determine who is at least close to honesty , mostly the ouside world can see clearly than we do, just like the last Election when a British newspaper asked the question" why 50 million Americans are so stupid" i.e to relecting George Bush. I hope they chose the right candidate, well the end result of that choice is that the 50 million Americans are suffering with no Health insurance, and lots more, please do not choose a candidate just because u like them, we need a change in this country and i think the right candidate is senator OBAMA" not because od his race or ethnic background

January 26, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  4. Georgia Voter

Although Obama is a very inspirational speaker, he lacks the experience that JFK possessed. JFK was elected to the House of Representatives in 1947 and then elected to the Senate in 1952. He was then re-elected to the Senate in 1958. By the time he was elected President in 1960, he had served in Congress for 13 years. The United States is involved in two wars and is likely entering a recession. I do not believe that a person who was only in their second year in the U.S. Senate when they started their Presidential run and was previously a state representative has the background to be President. In the end, it is just not the right time for Obama.

January 26, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  5. helene

What! is she kidding, Obama is nothing like JFK. Come on people lets look at the bigger picture here....Obama is only in office one term. Can he run the white house? talk is cheap so keep on talking........

January 26, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  6. Paula Higgins

Yes, I believe he could be a President "just like her father." Young, charming, engaging, and he speaks in grand soaring rhetoric that is essentially meaningless. He is also a man with no real experience of any kind to prepare himself for the Presidency. Although Kennedy had a little more experience, it wasn't much, and it showed during his years in office i.e. the Bay of Pigs fiasco. Our times are even more precarious (terrorists with a nuclear bomb for example) and I am unwilling to entrust the country to such an inexperienced individual. Caroline Kennedy should have thought this one through a little better. Sometimes saying nothing is the wiser thing to do.

January 26, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  7. Peaceful Protester

Hillary Clinton has been promising us healthcare for at least a decade now. All the while she has been accepting more money from Healthcare lobbyists than anyone else in Congress. The same time she was accepting lobbyists money, Barack Obama was studying and teaching Constitutional Law. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, George has been walking all over the Constitution and Bill of Rights; almost his entire time in office.

George, not only is torture against International law, it is against the Constitution of the United States; remember the Constitution, George. It's what allowed you to take office twice in a row, even when you didn't deserve it!

January 26, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  8. Anaheimbruin

Will all due respect, Senator Obama ... YOU ARE NO JOHN F. KENNEDY!!! He stood for what he believed in and did not simply vote, "PRESENT!"

HILLARY in '08

January 26, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  9. Pamela

Caroline you are my hero. I thank you for your endorsement for Barack. Although, you have never been in office. Your STAND is golden!

January 26, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  10. RANDY

The democratic party can be very proud that we have such good candidates. I really like both Hillary and Obama and the choice is not easy for me . But I really believe that Caroline Kennedys endorsement will make a big impact on Americans and myself. Caroline and her father are beloved here in America and thru out the world. I am a strong and proud democrat but I put my country first and look at the big picture who will bring us back together as a people. Americans are tired of the division.

January 26, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  11. simon lokicha

JFK is the best, so do Obama. Caroline your endorsement will help.

January 26, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  12. lisa

The fact the Caroline Kennedy would endorse Obama is meaningless. The Kennedy's are washed up has beens. They are of no value and will only hurt his campaign. If anything Caroline and her family should be supporting the Clinton's for all they have done for them....how quickly people forget....how quickly people jump on the band wagon. Welcome to politics!

To refer Obama to the likeness of her father is unthinkable!! He couldn't even come close to her father. Perhaps, she needs to look past whatever political gain she has in mind.

January 26, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  13. Beans

Where does Caroline live. NY, by chance?

Wonder if Hellary and Bill are together tonite. Can't be too nice of an evening if they are. Again...Bill screws it up. But then...isn't that the story of their lives?

LOL!

January 26, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  14. kathy from PA

Yolanda – go back to Mexico and take Hillary with you. and, Ellen – if you think Hillary will do anything for our country in a crisis – she will do the same thing her husband did – bomb a chicken coop while claiming he was "looking for Osama Bin Laden".

Wake up and get out from under the Clinton spell. Or do you both wish that Bill would invite you to the white house for a little......????

Use your one and only precious vote wisely. ANYBODY but Hillary.

January 26, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  15. Jake, California

re: Ellen,
    and you think Hillary will be the best person to handle such a situation eh?

Why does she go running and hiding behind Bill when Obama's coming out?

January 26, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  16. Jodie Linville

I'm in shock that Caroline Kennedy is Endorising Obama, and not because he is Black . But or country is in a mess and we need someone that can step in and get things happening fast. As far as her Uncle Ted Kennedy he needs to re-tire and go fishing or go with our vice prs . hunting. GO HILARY CLINTON

January 26, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  17. Ann

What does Caroline know about the change in leadership they had in the 1960s? Somebody should explain her the world is 50 years older and confronted with other problems.... America needs a pragmatic leader not a dreamer. Caroline has a full stomach so she can afford the talk plus she needs some excitement to avoid a boring life.

Hillary'08!

I still hope the SC was a wake up call for the white people. To be honest, I hoped for a more objective voting from the black community. I knew Obama will win SC, but the result shows that the blacks voted with the 'brother' not for the most qualified person. I accept differences, but the profile of the black vote was clearly biased.

January 26, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  18. Independant Woman

How can you tell this women that Obama is nothing like her father. If anyone would know it would be her.After all she lived with the man (JFK). Stop player hating on the man. Yes you can believe she endorsed him! Congrats OBAMA!!!!!!

January 26, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  19. Jess

I am 28 and this this the first time I have ever believed this much in what this country can be. I come from a very cynical generation but now I am seeing my peers and younger actually getting excited. I am seeing my mother getting excited as well. She said that this is something rare.
    Thank you Obama. Thank you South Carolina.
    We can create the kind of America that we grew up believing was possible.

OBAMA 08

January 26, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  20. Ottila

I used to be mesmerized by Obama's speeches, but I must admit that I'm beginning to get tired of the rhetoric, the play on people's emotions and lofty ideals. And I knew only recently about Obama's 130-some "PRESENT" votes in Illinois, which made me wonder if he really is a principled man or someone who will compromise his principles for political gain. A few "PRESENT" votes would have been okay, but 130? There's something not too good about this.

January 26, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  21. Jim Elwell-Martinez

Caroline Kennedy is just like her papa...a very wonderful person and smart.

January 26, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  22. Margaret Navarrete

So proud of Caroline Kennedy for her endorsement to Barack Obama, history was made tonight.
    Barack said so eloquently, we will work together, Latinos, Blacks, Whites and other enthic groups.

I too am so proud that I have already voted by absentee, and spreading the word of this man of Change.
    Americans across the world listen to Baracks message, it is there, then cast your vote for Barack.
    We are one people,

January 26, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  23. Anonymous

I was not alive when JFK was President, but I find myself supporting Obama more and more, and I agree with Caroline.

Rather interesting, seeing as how Bill Clinton fancied himself as another JFK, and his administration as Camelot the Second. This sounds like a repudiation of the Clintons by the last surviving member of JFK's family.

January 26, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  24. Veronica

Obama is no JFK. There was an article about this that came out today in a major newspaper on the west coast. When JFK ran, he'd held elected office in DC for 14 years. He'd been in the House for 3 terms and 2 times in the Senate. He was on the Foreign Relations Committee. He was a WW2 veteran. Obama has a similar oratory style. That's it.

January 26, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  25. ShirleyAnne, Vancouver, B.C.

How can anyone question the importance of an endorsement by the daughter of a President that gave his life up for the United States of America. A dauughter of a President that has always stayed out of the limelight until Now. I look at the last entry from Ellen – Obama is nothing like her father. Ellen – how would you know – I am sure Caroline knows everything to the last detail about her father.

I am from Canada however I greatly admire Caroline Kennedy and if she endorses Barack Obama – she is trying to put the country back on track. All you democrats out there please listen to her. The Clinton campaign with all the past sexual problems within the marriage is not right.

Now all we need is one more Kennedy to endorse Barack Obama – and his name would be Edward Kennedy.

I will be very pleased when this happens.

January 26, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |