January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. Paul

I am so pleased to see Sen. Obama back on track and stepping away from the devisiveness of the Clinton attack machine.
    Sen. Obama gave an inspiring speech tonight and that is the candidate for whom I plan on voting. I love it when he talks about change and the future where limits are only what we put on ourselves, just as we tell our children you can be what you want to be, i believe we too can be what we want to be as a nation.

January 26, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  2. kaTE

Caroline Kennedy has it exactly right. No one but Barack Obama can begin to heal the grievous wounding of this country courtesy of GWB and company. No one.

January 26, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  3. ropol, Wyo

YES...I worked for JFK's campaign when I was in the 7th grade and this is the FIRST time since that I have been inspired enough to think that this country could be great enough to ask not what it can do for us but what we can do for the USA! I don't vote in any of the upcoming SUPER Tuesday states but if you do...America needs this guy!

January 26, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  4. Christine, NJ

Caroline Kennedy recognizes that the country needs a true change in leadership that Clinton regime just can't provide. She sees a quality in Senator Obama that inspires her. I understand exactly what she is saying. I'm a forty-something, white, female, professional, former republican who lost all hope and belief due to the current administration.

January 26, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  5. Jesse, Burnsville, MN

Jason, no disrespect, but I am guessing that JFK's daughter knows a little more about whether Obama is like her father than you do.

January 26, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  6. Dee Ward Mena, AR

I am really disappointed in Carolina Kennedys endorsement of obama. The Clintons have so admired the Kennedys all their lives. JFK was Bill Clintons mentor from the time he went to Boys State when he was just a teen ager. They visited the Kennedys and admired them so much. I do think loyalty should count for something and I don't believe that obama is a JFK. I certainly hope that Edward Kennedy doesn't follow suit. I am really shocked and disappointed and wish she had not endorsed anyone.

January 26, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  7. Kevin, Illinois

How dare anyone belittle the comments of Caroline Kennedy. She is the Daughter of JFK, and has lived with his legacy unlike any of us could understand. The fact is she is right! Obama ignites people to participate in a government which has left them out for far to long.

Hillary doesnt understand unity of people and parties. Her and her husband are destroying the Democratic Party, and will rip the county apart if they get the nomination through their score-settling with the Republicans who spent 5 years destroying her Husand's 2nd term in the Presidency. IF Hillary is elected President, she will not have the influence to lead the change we need in American. And that's ashame.

OBAMA 08'

January 26, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  8. mildred Lawson

I never realized that a vote for one person gets us two. I always admired the Clintons...Bill for being so supportive of minorities and Hillary for standing by her man, thats no longer true. They deserve each other! I expected the N-– word to explode from Bills mouth on several occaisions. If Hillary gets the nomination, she will NOT get my vote!

January 26, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  9. ji_john

Hypothetical: The Clintons are back home from their stint in Viet Nam (He really did dodge, didn't he), and as the were walking down the street, an old truck backfires and the dive for cover. Their plans backfired; where do they dive for cover now? Caroline Kennedy endorses Barack Obama, who she says closely emulates her father's vison for the country. European countries are excited about the prospect of a Kennedy-like figure, who happens to be African American, and who proposes the change in world structure needed to promote peace and harmony throughout the world. Boy, did that Clonton plan backfire!

January 26, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  10. texan

wait, does that mean we can't vote for ourselves anymore? Who cares what one person thinks, there are millions of others who have an equal vote...unless you are incapable of making up your own mind. By the way, congratulations to Sen. Obama!

January 26, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  11. Cathy

Great endorsement! I look forward to reading her piece int he NY Times!

January 26, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  12. Arob

I wish that people would give Sen. Obama some credit for having the intellect to make accurate critical decisions. People just can seem to get over the fact that given what we have all seen in the just to weeks, you must admit that Obama has made amazing decisions and is quick on his feet. Like or not, Sen. Obama is a very capable decision maker and leader.....How many of us could be the president of Harvard Law Review?

January 26, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  13. Tim

"I'm a random person who knows John Kennedy was president. I don't care that he was your father Caroline, I have superior judgment on this topic, and I say 'Obama is nothing like your father.' even if you think he is." You people are ludicrous. Take a step back and listen to the facts. When someone endorses Hillary, Obama supporters don't scream, "well, they're just retarded." Caroline Kennedy knows her father better than you do, and John F. Kerry knows Obama/Hillary more than you do. You're being played. Powerful, intelligent, insightful people who actually know what's going on are trying to help enlighten you, and you're fighting back for god knows why. Would it hurt you to listen to what the informed have to say, and make a clear thoughtful choice based on that? Jesus.

January 26, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  14. Bob

I am the same age as Caroline, and think her endorsement is significant. It is testament to Obama's message that he has inspired baby boomers like Caroline and myself, who could easily have supported the "establishment" candidate. Yes, I would like to hear more specifics from Obama. But Hillary Clinton has failed miserably in elevating our hopes while Obama has succeeded. Hillary Clinton and her husband ran a lousy, divisive, disingenuous campaign in South Carolina, and Obama has gained significant momentum out of his victory tonight. How Bill and Hillary managed to screw up whatever good will came out of her victory in New Hampshire demonstrates how clueless they and their surrogates are.

January 26, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  15. Ajaa

Good comment Katy Hill! I am a Zonie female and love our Governor.

I might add that this man is the first one who has inspired me since JFK and I truly believe he is the person who will bring needed change. On his website under "Issues" he spells it out clearly.

January 26, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  16. ann

And the fairy tale goes on.

January 26, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  17. maynard

FROM WI

THANK YOU VERY MUCH CARO;LINE FOR ENDORSING BARACK OBAMA

BARACK REMINDS ME FOR JFK IN MANY WAYS.. HE HAS A WAY OF GETTING PEOPLE BACK INTO THE POLITICAL PROCESS SO THEIR VOICES CAN ONCE AGAIN BE HEARD ON CAPITAL HILL.

THANKS AGAIN

January 26, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  18. Roxanne NY

I am a Black woman in NY, a Hillary supporter. Go Figure! Like most of SC's, some women would go to the pits to see that another woman does not get to the top of the mountain.

Caroline, does not speak for me and she would not for most of us. Compared to the Clintons, what has she done for any Black lately. She's late, she's lame and she needs to get with the times. Endorsing another empty suit for the democrats as the Republicans did 7 years ago, says to me that she is jealous of Hillary!

Go Hillary! Who is the woman! Who is the woman! Who is the woman!

Hillary Rothan Clinton!

Caroline.....you're yesterday's news!

January 26, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  19. Brandon

Thank you Caroline.

Listen to the divisive, anger from the Clinton supporters. This is why she will not get the nomination. This is why she is not electable. Too much anger. Too much of a divider. No hope.

Don't be angry employees of Clinton, Inc. Obama and a better world is coming to a location near you!

GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 26, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  20. David in KY

Mrs. Kennedy-Schlosberg is more than entitled to endorse the junior Senator from the Land of Lincoln for the next leader of the free world! I would repspectfully agree to disagree with the endorsement, but she is right to contrast and compare, as have many Senator Obama to President Kennedy. President Kennedy was a very polarizing figure and a figure that brought the world together from here at home and abroad. Will see what comes of it all by way of Election Day 2008 when the "voting block of America" cometh!!!!

P.S.
    My parents were both "Kids for Kennedy", now there old gezzers!!!!

January 26, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  21. Nt

WHAT A SPEECH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW

January 26, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  22. Beans

Anonymous, are you kidding? Clinton thought he was another JFK and Hellery thought she was another Jacqueline? OMG–they ARE dreaming!

January 26, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  23. Jim in Orlando, FL

Since you asked, what change will Obama bring ? Well, my horse-blinders wearing friend .. its called HONESTY !

January 26, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  24. Jesse, Burnsville, MN

Anaheimbruin,

The fact that you obviously do not understand the use of the "present" vote in Illinois totally ruins any credibility that your comment has.

People, voting "present" in Illinois is frequently used. He only used it 129 times in over 4,000 votes (that is 3%, which is not very frequent).

Please do your research before you type.

January 26, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  25. Trytostaypostive

What does it matter who or which candidates get special/specific endorsements! What really matters and most important is America needs to wake up and start taking the time to understand that in order to have a great leader at the helm of the President of our United States, we must look beyond the persons color, creed, relgion and all that jazz and Vote For The Right Person – the one that Will Make A difference for once in this country. With the war and our men and women still fighting and being killed – ask a parent (what their thought are at the moment and what is important to them) of the many men and women who have come home not the way they left or come back home no longer with us! Ask yourself, What is important to you? So Caroline Kennedy endorsed Obama – fine, tells me she has already looked far beyond the man and his color, race (and so what to the ones who just can't believe it – really!) However does anyone's endorsment make my mind sway one way or the other – I'm afraid not. Let's not be lead by these "endorsements" but stick to the issues, at hand and how each candidate plans to approach, although there are no garantees these issues will be handled as they were promised... Has anyone every wondered what would happen if Americans before the elections finally got fed up with the potential Presidential Candidates and everyone decided not to vote because the right man was not amoung the candidates – makes me wonder – how about you? To the woman who responded "shame on You".. is just what I'm talking about – we still have problems in this country of OURS!

January 26, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |