January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. Citizen

Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960…."

Does she include her uncle and her cousins in this change? Talk about a political machine that has lost it's integrity. Rapists, murderers, adulterers, Nazi sympathizers, bootleggers ..... what a bunch of BS.

January 26, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  2. Diane T. Padilla

I find it extraordinary that Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Sen. Barack Obama for President. There are some similarities between him and President Kennedy, not the least of which is age. If Sen. Obama is the nominee, I hope he is able to unite the Democratic party. I also think it is the height of discourtesy for Senator Clinton to hightail it out of South Carolina, and make her concession speech in Nashville, Tennessee. Not even the courtesy of a thank you to her South Carolina supporters.

January 26, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  3. PW

For those of you who actually think Obama can "unite us as a nation" I feel sorry for you. His popularity grew when Oprah endorsed him for one reason that he's from Illinois and now people are joining that band with his campaign of solely optimism... For SC, a group of people who have said that they care strongly about healthcare, for them to vote against two people who are for universal healthcare... is just ridiculously... they voted on race... nothing more... not the politics...
    When Obama actually takes a political stand on something instead of his wishy washy, "I believe in" or "changing the planet" shtick... then come find me...
    Until then, he's just an optimist...

January 26, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  4. Zavia, FL

Read Obama's web page Ben! Since you have not heard his stand on the views. I have heard them all maybe you were to busy watching Clinton ads. He is the next JFK wrapped up in the banner of Dr. King with a Collin Powell hat. The Clinton are absoloute madness. They will cost the democrats the national election if she wins. Only Obama can get the base out in force. He can get independents and republicans. Only Obama can do this!!!!!!!!

January 26, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  5. charles ROBINSON

i am a white male living in Ohio. I wonder why people keep on refering to Obama as an african american and not as a white african american. After all, his mother is white and therefore do not see why we the all white keep on refering to him as an african american. He stood between the whites and blacks and therefore urge all whites not to brand him as blacks because we the whites also deserve good people like Obama.

Initially, i made my mind to vote for Hillary but what she and her husband are doing to Obama is pissing me and alot of whites off. That is why we are voting for him. T he earlier they stop the dirty politics and the personal attack on Obama,the better it will be for them.

January 26, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  6. TRUE_BLUE

Obama represents the future of our party, and the future of us as the American people. Obama represents the idea that all of us, no matter who we are, are a part of the same destiny. The American Destiny.

Hillary has proved that she neither understands nor respects this vision that so many Americans share.

I love all Americans of all types, and I'm not ashamed to say it. We need to focus on making The United States of America stronger. We need a leader of the Democratic party who will show not only America, but the world, that the Democratic party is the party of Unity, between all ages, races, sexes, religions, and even parties.

I welcome the idea of bringing more republicans, independents, men and women, black, white, latino, and everyone in between i into the political process.

Obama represents the bright future of American politics!

WE ARE ONE NATION UNITED!
    OBAMA 2008!

January 26, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  7. Jon

I still yearn for someone to explain to me how Hillary's 8 years serving as first lady is better experience than Obama's experience as a State Senator, Senator, Community Organizer and Civil Rights and Constitutional Lawyer. Please. Anybody? Hillary's experience and Barack's lack thereof are myths.

January 26, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  8. Bob Devlin

Thank God! I've been waiting for months for the daughter of a former president, whose personal claim to fame is being a lawyer, to make her big announcement. Yawn.

For Mrs. Obama's sake, I hope he's no John Kennedy.

Go Ron Paul. Please. As far away as possible.

January 26, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  9. Brian

YES, YES, YES

January 26, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  10. KHALID RAHIM

One young Kennedy endorses Obama should be an eye-opener for the rest of the
    clan, to stand behind Caroline and say with one voice; We need the change and
    let Obama bring that change.

January 26, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  11. buck

I havent heard one thing that Obama is going to do to "change" America. He can sit up there and give the same speech but give me something.... Not saying that the other canidates have blown me away. I think as people we should realize that all these politicians are all bs. Make the best life you can for yourself and your family because these politicians are all scum.

January 26, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  12. Terri

After all these years I'm happy that Caroline Kennedy is speaking of Barack Obama in terms of comparing him to her father. He is an inspiring speaker as was her father. Can't you feel the excitement building for a leader for our country that we can get behind and be proud of?

January 26, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  13. Annie

It is not too often that Caroline Kennedy has made a public announcement that endorses a candidate.

This a a wonderful endoresement for Obama, and there is something to be said that he has the inspiration that JFK provided to many people in this country.

Have wondered on many occasions how things might of turned out, if he had not be so tragically killed.

We need new hope, new inspirations, new something...

Just in case some of you haven't noticed this country is running out of jobs, out of money, people aren't able to get medical help, or housing.

The greatest country in the world and this is how we want to continue?

January 26, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  14. kevin

jfk touched and inspired this country in a way that no one else has done until barack obama. i voted for jfk and look forward to voting for bho

January 26, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  15. UJAMS

True endorsement from a sublime mind.

January 26, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  16. James D.

Caroline Kennedy is very wise. Hopefully Ted will follow around Feb 1. 🙂

Gee Veronica...Caroline **KENNEDY** seems to disagree with you. I think it's safe to say she's in a FAR better position to make that comparison than you.

January 26, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  17. James

Any one see the exit polls? Hillary on experience 83% Edwards 9% Barak Husein Obama 7%.

You people really want a person totally lack of experience running this country in one of it's lowest points due to Bush and company.

January 26, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  18. John ny, ny

sorry Obama is no JFK. He is impernator. Carolina is just going through menopause.

January 26, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  19. clc

Thank you Caroline. Obama and your dad were cut from the same cloth of change and we need Obama as much as we needed your dad. Hopefully your Uncle will feel the same way and . . . soon!

January 26, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  20. lee

For all you haters....Understand this....Obama transends racial predjudice, dirty politics, and party divisions that have damaged our political progress.
    Hillary can't fix this country

Obama can!!!1

Obama for President!!!!!!!

January 26, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  21. Carolyn in California

I am a white female, almost 65yrs. old, and lives in California, who will vote for Barack Obama. That goes against some things said by a woman speaker on CNN tonight before Obama's victory speech.
    When I listened to Barack's victory speech tonight, I was remembering how I felt when Bobby Kennedy gave his victory speech just before he was shot. I thought of the energy and hope he gave to us, the people of the U.S, just as I could see and hear the same reaction in the faces and cheers of the people in S.C.
    I just pray for God's protection on Barack Obama and his family, and that the rest of the people, who haven't voted yet, will catch the excitement and vision of how much we need a person like Obama in the White House to turn our government, as well as around the world.

January 26, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  22. DW

God bless you Obama,It was a pleasure having you in our state of South Carolina.I must say I never thought being a 43yo male that has always voted Republican that a day would come were I would become a true hard core Democrate voter for you,but today was that day.God bless you and your family and god bless us all as we take back our country.God bless you Caroline for your support in this amazing time ,your father was a Great man..

January 26, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  23. Vivian

YES WE CAN!!!!

January 26, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  24. Yamaka

Kennedy who? I thought Kennedy wss from the past, way past , NOT the present nor the future.

Besides, Kennedy's daughter has NO political following in MA or anywhere in the country.

Kennedy was a inspirational leader, but was gunned down in Dallas. People have admiration and sympathy for him. But for his daughter, what do people have? Am I missing anything here. Her endorsement should NOT have any impact on Obama's funny campaign.

January 26, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |