January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. Leo

GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!! Thank you Caroline. Mr. Obama is an inspiration for our nation and he will be a great leader. Thank you!

January 26, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  2. janet

go! obama....you are what americans need same blood same people.. united we stand , divided we fall you represent everyone in america. i hope .

January 26, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  3. American Leaders

I have always admired Caroline Kennedy and her work. But I DO remember JFK, RFK and MLK. Their words were followed through with action. I have not felt the hope and belief in my country and humankind since then. Bill Clinton came close. Remember that Bill Clinton as a young teen was inspired to become President after meeting JFK.

January 26, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  4. elle2

I thought she wanted a private and apolitical life !

I am shocked by her opinion but.... even more shocked by her need to share it !

This is not about Obama for her !

January 26, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  5. Glen Livingston

I am a fifty-two year old Native American male whose last participation in Democratic presidential nomination campaigns was in 1968 with the RFK campaign. Forty long years and now the feeling has returned. The feeling of fervor for a man who brings generational change akin to those wonder years of the Kennedy years in Democratic politics. I now wholeheartedly enlist in the campaign of Sen. Obama and the fact that we can change and are going to bring much needed change to this nation in November 2008 when I, along with millions of others, shal elect Sen. Obama as the next Democratic President of the United States.

January 26, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  6. BIG MIKE

congrat. to BARACK and his Supporters for their win in S.C.; however, the Clinton's are trying to use the race card after the win in Iowa; here's how: please read...1) have Bill (Clinton) along with Bob Johnson and other people beholden to the Clinton machine verbally attack Obama instead of Hillary do it herself. *2) Obama's people were forced to defend Obama in racial terms...this played on the stereotype that white folks have of black folks always crying racism and being too sensitive. Second, this strategy re-cast Obama as the "black candidate" instead of the swell "candidate that hapened to be black" that white folks had grown to love. The Clinton's knew they'd potentially piss off black voters with this strategy, but they figured those votes lost would be more than offset with not only what they'd gain in white votes, but also with the growing Latino (Central and South American) vote in CA and NY on Super Tuesday...Latinos are the future of the Democratic party after all and in general will not support a black candidate. It was a brillant strategy. Obama's win in SC. due toall high population of black folks there will be written off as a black thing. So now the real question is: Will angry black voters NOT back Hillarry in the general election? Will they write in Obama's name, stay home, voter for some other candidate?

January 26, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  7. jesse

Whomever Obama reminds us of. it has to be something good. Obama is Obama. I think comparing can sometimes make us miss out on who that person trully is . Its like that person loses their identity. He has answer lots of question regarding issues in america. Even this week he answer with a plan about a the new stimulas plan. He said. It should be short term however lets not forget about a long term plan. There are several things to look at here. His answers shows me that he is not reactionary. He's a thinker and thats what we need as President of the United States. My Vote is with OBAMA . Experience does not mean you make better decisions. I need you to think before making decisions. and Character means more to me than saying anything to get ahead. Keep in mind the same healthcare system Hillary fought against, also paid here over $500,000 after a couple years of her fighting. Its hard for me to trust someone who gets paid from someone she supposidly is fighting . Its hard for me to listen to a former president who with Conviction said I did not have sexual relations with that woman " , and then turns around and says Yes I did. Come on this man is the same man who distort the truth with America and he also distort the truth in this campaign. Same Politics as ever. Thanks

January 26, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  8. Meredith Whaley

I am disappointed to hear this. I have admired her low profile for many years and feel this is a mistake. While Obama is great material this is not his time. We need someone who knows where the devil in the details is. Clinton has a lifetime of service behind her. Obama can be likened to Carter. Carter is a great man but he was not a great president.

January 26, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  9. BIG WIG

Is the baby crying? She lost, her loss. She is not strong enough to run this country and bill just trying to get back in the white house to he could get some more smack that on the floor until it get sore. This is not about race, the women voted for higgary when she started crying boo hoo boo hoo. Get out HIggary Get out.

January 26, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  10. Ottila

Jon - You forgot to mention that Hillary Clinton is a 2-term U.S. Senator and has successfully worked throughout most of her adult life on issues with national implications.

January 26, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  11. Carrie

Great choice Caroline!

January 26, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  12. C. Minneapolis.

HRC didnt even show her own supporters in NC the respect they deserved by atleast sticking around in their state and saying thanx...... She addressed them very breifly all the way from Tennessee. LOL I wonder how they feel after putting all those man hours in. Working day and night for her knocking on doors and making phone calls. She just went on to the next state like South Carolina never happened. She has no loyalty to anybody but HERSELF. So if your in a state that she loses in, don't expect a "Well we didn't get it done here but thank you anyway" speach. She will already be partying in the next state.

January 26, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  13. Beth

Stop Hating Clinton lovers!! You were all hoping for this endorsement....

This is a wonderful endorsement for Obama along with a wonderful article she wrote!!

Obama 08

January 26, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  14. Yamaka

As Jesse Jackson did twice (1984 and 1988) in SC any Black candidate would have won SC. This was quite expected by everyone including the Clintons.

So what is this rhetorical achievement worth? Not much.

Obamamaniacs, wait and see FL and the SuperDuper Tuesday, when Obama will be knock out by Hillary squarely.

January 26, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  15. Dan, TX

I think I'll trust Ms. Kennedy to judge this. You can disagree and say she is naive or whatever. I think she is right on and it is gratifying to have my own feelings on this validated.

A couple people mentioned the "Present" votes. Ever hear of a "Fillibuster". It is a procedural activity. The concern about present votes has been asked and answered by the press as being a non-issue dozens of times over the past several months. He has been thoroughly vetted on this issue. Clinton and Edwards either don't have enough experience to understand this issue. Obama was a Senator for 8 years, and had over 4000 votes, he knows what he's doing. Clinton and Edwards might as well call anyone who uses a Fillibuster in the Senate as being someone who doesn't want to take a stand on an issue by voting. That would be an accusation against every US Senator. Clinton and Edwards are simply trying to confuse people who are uneducated and ignorant about the bureaucratic and procedural methods of the Illinois Senate. I'm from Texas, but I'm smart enough to listen and understand, I don't know why you people aren't.

Where's the beef! He has detailed plans that explain exactly what his policies on all major issues. If you are smart enough to post here, why aren't you smart enough to go to Obama's web site and just get your questions answered? Just go to the web site and ask someone on the blog there, they'll get the information for you if you don't want to get it youself.

January 26, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  16. Kevin in Oklahoma

Barack Obama is so far away from a John F. Kennedy, it's not even funny. I can't believe that Caroline Kennedy would even compare them. She should be ashamed. Barack Obama is a joke. He's a fraud. I can't believe so many people are so blinded by him.

Barack Obama winning South Carolina is nothing. Child's play. If people are surprised by his win, then they are truly idiots. Of course the African-American community voted overwhelmingly for him. It's not a big shock.

Going forward, Hillary Clinton is going to show America that she is a true leader. Hillary Clinton not only has vision, knowledge, and experience, but, she is intelligent, she knows how to get things done, and she is right for America.

By the way, CNN. I LOVE how you decided to show only a very brief portion of Hillary Clinton's speech. Show all of Barack Obama, show all of John Edwards, and give only about 1 minute to Hillary Clinton. Quit pandering to Barack Obama, who can't answer a simple question about his policy, who only speaks in circles, and whose only ability is to talk about change. However, he hasn't even given America a clue how he intends to bring about this change.

Hillary Clinton is still going, talking about how she is actually going to bring about change, and there is CNN, not covering it.

America. Vote for Hillary Clinton. Don't be blinded by Barack Obama. He may be a charmer, but, that's all there is to him. Hillary Clinton is REAL change. Hillary Clinton, the first female President of the United States '08!

January 26, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  17. TN

No surprise. Caroline and her cousin, Maria Shriver Schwarznegger, are best buddies with Oprah.

January 26, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  18. Boomer for Obama

Ann: A person who would spew such racist, 'catty" comments can't understand Obama's message and can't get beyond your narrow view of the world

This was not just a win it was a landslide...in votes and delegates...

January 26, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  19. Amanda

I remember JFK. and Caroline, you are so very right. Thank you for not being afraid to speak out! I proudly support Barack Obama! He is what our country need!

January 26, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  20. Tracey Van Dusen

Caroline,

I have always admired you. We have children the same age, and I think you have done a wonderful job in keeping them out of the spotlight and maintaining an immense dignity and protection of your and their privacy. Like you, I have rarely been so inspired by a candidate as I have been by Barack Obama. Thank you for reaching out beyond what you might have been comfortable doing and speaking for what is right and best for our country. I am an American history and Government teacher who has been privileged to teach about what your father did for this country. Thank you for endorsing Obama. It means a tremendous amount to me and your standing for Obama now will change the course of this election. Thank you so very much.

Tracey Van Dusen

January 26, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  21. Responsiblevoter

Wake up men and women young and older Democrats and Independent ! America is faced with Economic Crisis! Hillary is the best there is among the candidates to put back America into prosperity and Bring Back America friend of the world again!!!

Long Live Hillary and be a Winner Hillary!!!!

January 26, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  22. Kyle - Spanish Fork, Utah

Why is this important? Endorsements act as symbols. They tend to be a pretty predictable samples of what the general population feelings might look like.

Caroline Kennedy represents "the next generation" as well as "Kennedy type change."

Both of these things are things that Obama's campaign is looking to represent. Her endorsement only makes his statements more real.

January 26, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  23. Patrick

Barack Obama and his family embody the restoration of Camelot in 21st century America

January 26, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  24. john

ann- "still hope the SC was a wake up call for the white people."

I almost had to vomit. I was awakened. To how repugnant the Clinton campaign was in SC.

January 26, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  25. Don Hunt

I am a Canadian who greatly admired John F. Kennedy for his inspirational leadership during a very difficult time in history. I have the same gut feeling about Barack Obama, I only hope a leader of this quality appears in Canada. Is Justin Trudeau listening?

January 26, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |