January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. Elaine in Kentucky

Why do I care who she is for. That doesn't effect me. My vote is worth as much as hers. Bit Deal.

January 26, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  2. BIG MIKE

I voted for Bill Clinton in the '92 election, and had always admired and respected his leadership and family. But after his tactics in support of Hillary have caused me to see them in a different light....Go Barack!!!

January 26, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  3. Janel, St. Paul, MN

Caroline,

For one who has been very private in your life as a presidential child, I am touched by your endorsement of Senator Barack Obama.

We respect you - and we hold your father in great esteem. That you. . .who certainly know your father's legacy better than anyone writing on this blog. . .support the values of Senator Obama is a tremendous endorsement.

Thank you!!

January 26, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  4. hillabeans

I liked J.F.Kennedy as a teen, but found out that he wasnt the saving Saint he was drummed up to be and I dont mean just the women in his life.I guess his kids are still in a fantasy world.He was a great motivational speaker and had the looks to get the womens vote.Running against Nixon made his win easier but it wasnt by any means a landslide.

January 26, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  5. Amy in Cincinnati

Let's just reflect on South Carolina's results for a moment....

GO OBAMA!!!

January 26, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  6. Ian

Did Hilary really just snub all her help in South Carolina? She thanked the band during her speech but didn't even thank the people of S.C.

January 26, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  7. Akpomuje

For the first time in modern history, the white man / woman -American -yes and indeed in a global context too, is faced with the question of how sincere and matured his / her commitment towards the evolution of mankind is... Casting a vote for Obama is a true test in this regard!!!

January 26, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  8. jackie

ann , you are clearly a racist. no wonder you don't want obama to win.obama speaks of a change that will (god willing) get rid of the mindset of people like you.

January 26, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  9. Beve

Thanks for your endorsement Caroline! You father was great... I still miss him, and remember his death.. when I was a fourth grader. What an impression he made on our lives back then. We do need change in our leadership. Wish JFK was still here.

January 26, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  10. Ed

It really is amazing to me the bias in the media. There really does seem to be a pro-Obama edge to msnbc and cnn. Every time Obama gets an endorsement, it's a big deal and the Obama supporters actually think that is going to sway many voters. I have been no big fan of the Clintons but as I really listen to the issues and the answers the candidates are giving, Hillary has the better plans and answers, even If I don't agree with all of them. It's just amazing to me that beautiful rhetoric and speech with no real plan of action can win folks over. Isn't that what happened eight years ago. Bush was suppose to be a uniter, not a divider. And the country bought it. I don't want another President-in-training.

January 26, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  11. Ruth Samuels, Charlottesville,VA

Shame on you Caroline Kennedy!
    Do you really believe this young Senator is going to change our country ? How naive can you be. I remember George Bush telling the country over and over agai n how he was goin g to unite the country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I just hope that the American people will elect a President that will heal our very sick country...

country.

January 26, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  12. Brian

Dems have two options vote for change = Obama or vote for the same old (they call it experience) = Clinton

January 26, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  13. Nathan

I was listening to Obama tonight and he was making me think of the compaigns of JFK and RFK. It was great to hear Caroline endorsing Obama. I am an independent and vote both parties. It will be hard to decide between McCain and Obama.
    Hillary made a remark about a politicians are ones that look toward the next race and she is the one that ran off to Tenn. to start working the next crowd.

January 26, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  14. mike

Thanks the support for Obama.

I`m Fird-up , i am Ready to go!!!!

January 26, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  15. GET REAL

To Becky:
    Being an ex-President's wife shouldn't sway you either! How did she gain Presidential experience when she was busy building up her 35 years of experience on everything else?

I see the Hillary support machine is in full force after Obama's landslide win. Don't give me it's because of the black vote either. Obama won Iowa which is predominantly white. In N.H. it was very very close, and in Nevada Obama actually received more delegates!

As far as polls go, that is a Fairy Tale. A few months back, the polls showed Hillary winning S.C.by 20 points. The polls also showed Obama winning N.H. So I think we can throw polls out the window. The votes will decide Super Tuesday, not polls!

There is only one candidate for the Democratic Party that hasn't used status quo campaign tactics, hasn't distorted truth, see MSNBC's story yesterday with Hillary and Bill posing with Rezko! I know she doesn't recall, same old status quo answer! Only one candidate who actually has the ability to cross party lines and bring America together to get back to what America should be! OBAMA!

I'm tired of all this talk about what Bill did in the 90's. How is this looking forward? How does this change what is going on in Washington today? More importantly, Bill is not the one running!

As far as how Obama plans to bring about change. He has laid out his plans. He has laid out his strategy! If you have been paying attention you would know that! Or, if you actually looked up the information yourself you would know! One clue for you should be when the candidates are comparing their plans to each other's. How could they do that if all candidates didn't have their plans available?

Bottom line, Hillary is the status quo same old same old who speaks to votes. Obama speaks to the truth, and is what this country needs to get us out of the same old story in Washington!

By the way, every Republican and Republican analysts I have heard are pulling for Hillary! Why?Because they will have the ability to target her record as being supportive of President Bush such as the Iraq War and Iran. The Republicans know they can beat Hillary hands down. What they are afraid of is a new refreshing candidate for which this country hasn't seen since JFK! OBAMA!

OBAMA 08 PERIOD!!

January 26, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  16. Just Say NO

I was not alive during JFK's presidency, but I have done lots of research including school term papers, and Obama is NOT JFK, and will NEVER be JFK. What amazes me is all of this rhetoric about "change" and "uniting" and "bringing everyone together", but no definitive answers on how he is going to do it. He certainly can't do it voting "Present", or by leaving out hundreds of thousands of people with his so called "health care reform" that does NOT cover everyone. I am fortunate enough to make a good living and be able to afford health insurance, but there are many that legitimately can't. What will he do for them? Sure his plan covers all children, but if the adults (i.e. the childrens' parents) can't stay healthy because they have no health insurance then they are not able to provide for their children because they can't work. To me Obama is like a really BAD drug...he makes a lot of people feel good, but I think after you wake up the next morning and you see what you've done by electing him you might find yourself saying "what was i thinking?"

I support HIllary. I don't agree with the mud slinging going on with BOTH campaigns, and wish she would not stoop so low, but I think she has the vision and experience to really help this country get out of the slump George W. Bush got us into.

January 26, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  17. earl illingsworth

GOD bless you Caroline, I know it takes alot of courage from you, and I myself with your endorsement, will also vote for Senator Obama. Your Father was the GREATEST!!!

January 26, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  18. Bonnie in Texas

How unbelievable. Of all the endorsements, this has to be the most shocking. I think that JFK would think that a woman as president of the United States would have been the change America needed. To think that Caroline, the LONE survivor of her family,and a WOMAN, would not have supported a former first lady, as her mother was our nation's tragic wodow. This feels like a betrayal to me, and my admiration for the Kennedy's just took a dramatic turn away from what was Camelot. This has hit me to the core. What kind of loyalty do Democrats really have? None.

January 26, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  19. M Rod

First Ophra Winfrey, now Caroline Kennedy!

American Women for Obama.

Sen Obama crush all candidates Dems and Reps in the south.

WE ARE ONE NATION UNDER GOD.....UNITED!
    OBAMA 2008!

January 26, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  20. AllegedRightWingConspiracy

Thank you Caroline...America does need change in a president. There are many...like myself an independent having voted Republican over the years that have crossed over for Obama. He does inspire America like your dad did.

America thanks you for the endorsement.

January 26, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  21. Jim

I'm proud of Caroline! I was also impressed with the Obama victory speach tonight. If you noticed it was form the heart, no script and no notes. He is a true leader. I saw Bill and Hillary later and they looked like loosers! Go Obama

January 26, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  22. eileen

All you quasi-progressives are being fooled by Obama. He is no progressive and except for not supporting Bush's war, he is further to the right on most issues than Clinton and Edwards. Read the article in the current issue of Nation to know where he really stands (or slants out of both sides of his mouth) on the issues. And his lack of support for abortion and pandering to bible babbling baboons should be viewed as a red flag for women voters. Obama may bring about change, but in which direction?

January 26, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  23. GB

Thank you Caroline! Wishing your father was still here to run our country... I do remember him... he made a great impression and was a great man! Hopeful for a great leader for our country... like your father.

January 26, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  24. eileen

January 26, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  25. Harry

I am a white male republican. And I am considering supporting Obama. The people who think that only the black's will support him and urging more white voters to vote are obviously very racist. He is indeed a candidate for change and can hopefully unite this country. Anyone that would want the Clinton's in the WhiteHouse are out of their minds. I don't know which one is worse Bill or Hillary. You cannot believe a word that comes out of their mouths. Bill came into Office when George Sr. had the country going in the right direction and he left office with it already spiraling downhill. It can't all be blamed on George W. Americans need to send both Clintons packing.
    P.S. Good Endorsement Caroline.

January 26, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |