January 28th, 2008

Kennedy endorses Obama: 'I feel change in the air'

Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.
Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Edward Kennedy backed Sen. Barack Obama for president Monday, saying: "It is time again for a new generation of leadership."

"It is time now for Barack Obama," the Massachusetts senator and brother of the late President Kennedy added.

He stood with Obama, his son Rep. Patrick Kennedy and his niece, Caroline Kennedy before a screaming capacity crowd of students at American University in Washington, DC.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Ted Kennedy
  1. Mark

Forgive me, but who gives a rats behind what the washed up Kennedys think? The Kennedys should get out of politics altogether, thats the change in the air America needs. Truly, Kennedys and Kerrys endorsement of Obama, in my opinion, only hurts him.

January 28, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  2. Jay

So I guess that change in the air means getting rid of you??

January 28, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  3. michael e stanford

The wheels of change are definetly in motion !!!!! yeeehaaawww Barack in 08

January 28, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  4. YY, LA, CA

Shame on you, Kennedy.

January 28, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  5. Tony

Go Obama!!!

January 28, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  6. Alex Smith

What happens when you get a bunch of talkers in one area, you get this endoresment.ve this Speech does not move this country, action does.

January 28, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  7. Ann

I am waiting for the Hillary44er's to be unleashed

January 28, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  8. California

Oboring is on CNN, MSNBC, and Fox. Ha! Ha! Ha! I wonder who the media supports... Hmm? Let me think.....

To the poster who attributes the Clinton's with the term 'hoodwink'.....

"You've been hoodwinked. You've been had. You've been took. You've been led astray, led amok. You’ve been bamboozled." – Malcolm X

"They're trying to bamboozle you. It's the same old okie-doke. Y'all know about okie doke, right? ... They try to bamboozle you. Hoodwink ya. Try to hoodwink ya. Alright, I'm having too much fun here. ... " – Barack Obama

January 28, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  9. redwoods

Maya Angelou, the African-American poet who is one of the most influential and respected literary voices of the modern age, has written a poem praising Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign for The Observer.
    Angelou, author of an autobiographical series of books, including the international bestseller I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, was moved to send the verse after being asked by the newspaper for her reflections on Clinton.

She is supporting Clinton despite her close friendship with television personality and philanthropist Oprah Winfrey, a prominent backer of rival Democrat Barack Obama, the first black presidential hopeful with a real chance of reaching the White House.

January 28, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  10. colorblind

OK LETS SEE YOU SPIN THIS......... TED KENNEDY WELL RESPECTED AND SMARTER THEN MOST OF US WHEN IT COMES TO POLITICS.... HE PCKED OBAMA.... WHY?....... TED'S NOT BLCAK.... HE NOT POOR .... WHY WOULD HE DO THIS TO HIS OLD FRIENDS THE CLINTONS? .... BECAUSE BARACK IS BEST FOR THE JOB....... NOW IF YOU KNOW MORE ABOUT THESE THINGS THEN TEDDY..... PLEASE EXPLAIN

TO ALL MY WHITE AND BLACK BROTHERS AND SISTERS.......IT'S TIME TO UNITE.......

January 28, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  11. Joe, Florida

I support either Hillary or Barack for the presidency.

Sen. Obama can certainly talk the talk, and I hope that in the event that he is nominated, he can convince the country that he will be able to walk the walk as well.

January 28, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  12. Karen

now it will definitely be politics as usual.

January 28, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  13. Robert SS.

Welcome to Obama Country!!!!!!

I support Barack. And I'm a Republican.

January 28, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  14. JerrieT

Senator Kennedy is certainly free to endorse the candidate of his choice. But, I would like to know where he was when the men were ganging up on Senator Clinton. We either ask the candidates about their race, gender, and experience ...or we don't. We can't have one standard for the Senator Clintons and a different one for the Senator Obamas - just because he is black.

January 28, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  15. ramno

Kennedy also praised Sens. Hillary Clinton and John Edwards, and vowed, "whoever is our nominee will have my enthusiastic support."

- what's that ? hint of doubt ?

January 28, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  16. artseafartsea

Who among us believes in Ted Kennedy anymore? He is a joke. Yeah, like we are going to vote for who you believe in. Un huh.

Please Senator Kennedy, sit down and shut up!

January 28, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  17. Mati

"Like you, we want a president who appeals to the hopes of those who still believe in the American dream," he said to screaming applause.

Last time I checked the American Dream was about prosperity. People came to this continent for a better life, not for ideology. What Obama offers is pure ideology, slogans, words., feeling good.

Still, Mr. Kennedy, there are people out there for whom the basics of the American dream (a job, a home, a car, kids to school). I trust that America needs a pragmatic president now who can solve these problems. Next it will come the time for joy, inspiration, excitement. Now its time for hard work. Try to picture Obama with his fuzzy thoughts putting order in this mess. Lets get real

Hillary'08!

January 28, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  18. Karen

Obama is dishing out another serving of his Harvard bred oratory. Excuse me while I nap. Yawn.

January 28, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  19. Deborah Belasco

I can't remember when I was so excited about politics as I am this very moment! The Kennedy's endorsing Obama....listening to them speak is giving me goosebumps...Hilary has Bill...many of us wanted to see and hear him again...but to see and hear the Kennedy's again...sorry Hilary...you lose!
    Obama I now hear you!

January 28, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  20. jessica

Obama is talking about change from old washington ..well he is going the wrong way about it Teddy kennedy is not fresh or have new ideals... sounds like obama is not really for true change. Teddy and his politics are about as "old school" u get. And as a young woman living in Az i think obama will do or say anything to get an endorsment. So where is the fresh new ideals from obama...well standing up with teddy is nothing new...just same oh same oh when it comes to politics. my vote with with a woman, that is real change.. I'm voting for Hillary clinton. I'm sick of the politics of washington, men sticking together. Its time for a woman. Men have screwed up usa for the last 200 years.. now its time for a woman to fix things.

January 28, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  21. Scott, Royal Oak, MI

Beautiful. Kennedy calls the Clintons out for their cheap tricks, race-baiting, and distortions of facts and breaks his neutrality to go all out for Obama. This is huge.

January 28, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  22. Eric in LA

I think the change Sen. Kennedy feels is comprised of hot air. Wake up America! Don't let the media shove two establishment corporate Democrats down your throats. There is a third choice for president. John Edwards is the most progressive and least beholden to powerful monied interests. Talk of change is fine, but only John Edwards will get it done, period.

January 28, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  23. Mark

Whatever. I love how they endorse and fill the air with their mess yet, they throw in the disclaimer that whoever gets the nominee I will stand behind.

January 28, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  24. Ross

Good endorsement for Obama. Although I do not support Obama I think this endorsement will give his campaign even more enthusiasm. I am also glad that Senator Kennedy said he would support whoever the Democratic nominee is. As a party we must unite around one candiate whether it is Obama, Edwards, or even Clinton. I still think Edwards is our best choice in the general election, but I am only one vote.

Edwards 08!

January 28, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  25. NObama

There are more truth in store about Obama and his connection to Rezko. Rezko 'sold' Obama a very good house at a very low price, is this normal? Obama wrote letters to some agency to help Rezko get big ammount of loans, is this normal? Rezko has had 15 years special relationship with Obama but this so called "HONEST" Obama said in the SC debate that he only worked 5 days for this Rezko. Obama LIE'S AGAIN!!!! Hillary has no ties with Rezko. She never acdept any donation from Rezko. The only tie is the picture God knows who posted it online. IF you were a president or first laday, how many people do you take pictures with every year? Does this mean you know everyone who took pictures with and has has tied with them..NO!
    Obama claims that he knew nothing of Rezko's problems when he bought property from Rezko or when Rezko was named to Obama's 2004 US Senate finance committee. Did Obama not read any newspapers or watch any TV news for the last 10 years in Illinois? Rezko's investigation was very public and known by even common people not close to Rezko

January 28, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |