January 28th, 2008

Kennedy endorses Obama: 'I feel change in the air'

Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.
Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Edward Kennedy backed Sen. Barack Obama for president Monday, saying: "It is time again for a new generation of leadership."

"It is time now for Barack Obama," the Massachusetts senator and brother of the late President Kennedy added.

He stood with Obama, his son Rep. Patrick Kennedy and his niece, Caroline Kennedy before a screaming capacity crowd of students at American University in Washington, DC.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Ted Kennedy
  1. Chris from Houston

Obama is the answer to all of our hopes, dreams and aspirations. Now is the time, now is the time that we...THE american people unite to solve the difficult challenges ahead. And we must be inspired by a leader that can inspire the un-inspired and bring about the fundamental change we all seek.

January 28, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  2. Tom

I found the fact that Hillary fled SC, didn't even give the customary concession speech indictive of how she is. She couldn't even thank her SC supportors in SC?!?!? This is another example of her feeling she should be crowned the Dem nominee and her entitlist attitude. I am starting to be ashamed I was a Clinton supportor.

January 28, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  3. bruce patras

wow
    great news
    60 days ago who would have thought barack would be doing so good . ??

hillary who ???

countrywide top people are supporting barack !!!

peace

January 28, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  4. Ricardo

To ALL the Clinton supporters, we can tell how disappointed you are. Now you know not only is Hill not inevitable, that Bill can deliver squat, let alone votes except through distortions and telling fibs, but that he DOES NOT OWN the Democratic Party to behave as he pleases and there is a BIGGER family than the Clintons.

You think the Kennedys are nothing? Bill Clinton has built his entire political career as a wannabe Kennedy. Now, today, he has firmly been put in his place. Now watch as many of your so called super delegates jump ship behind the real power brokers in the Democratic Party. Camelot arises to correct an injustice.

Don't insult the Kennedys, the second string support enjoyed by the Clintons is so cherished by them so be very careful!!!!

Oh! Obama is ready to lead from day one – Ted Kenned

The dream never died!
    OBAMA 08!

January 28, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  5. Ishmael

The Kennedy family isn't even united in endorsing Obama given the fact that Robert F. Kennedy's daughter,Kathleen Kennedy Townsend is endoring Hillary Clinton.

Statement from Kathleen Kennedy Townsend
    "I respect Caroline and Teddy's decision but I have made a different choice. While I admire Senator Obama greatly, I have known Hillary Clinton for over 25 years and have seen first hand how she gets results. As a woman, leader, and person of deep convictions, I believe Hillary Clinton would make the best possible choice for president. She shares so many of the concerns of my father. Hillary has spent a lifetime speaking out on behalf of the powerless and working to alleviate poverty, in our country and around the world. I have seen her work up close and know she will be a great President. At this moment when so much is at stake at home and overseas, I urge our fellow Americans to support Hillary Clinton. That is why my brother Bobby, my sister Kerry, and I are supporting Hillary Clinton."

January 28, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  6. Emilio

America can not take this chance letting Hillary Clinton cry her ways; just so they can have another chance to sleep in the white house, which is all they are fighting for nothing else. Barrack Obama can bring unity, change to this county.

Imagine, when this country had to chance to go to the Noon, if we had said that we are not ready? Where would we be?

Yes, we can. Vote Obama for 08.

January 28, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  7. Mac in Nova Scotia

Hillary should do the country a favor and drop out of the race (human race)

January 28, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  8. checkthisout

Weak and Inexperienced Brother Obama will need all the support he can get.
    Wherever they come from.
    And from whoever.

He is up against one Formidable Woman.

In the end, all the support he has will not be enough.

January 28, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  9. Lee-- Dallas, TX

To all the the unlearned out there, voting 'present' in Illinois is norm. It has nothing to so with not being able to take a stand on a certain issue. It has more to do with something not being right with the legislation is put forth. Obama's rivals, Clinton and Edwards have misguided the American people with this whole 'you voted present on 130...' blah blah blah, some people need to go back and retake gov. 101.

January 28, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  10. Lynnette

And what does an endorsement from this bloated alcoholic mean? Hello? He couldn't even win his party's nod. when he ran for President. Obama is a wonderful speaker, no doubt, but we need a proven leader and "doer", that's why me and my family will vote for Hillary Clinton. She is our only hope!!

January 28, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  11. Deb

Teddy's endorsement has added more "fat to the sizzle" but the steak is still no where to be found. Ask for more America!

January 28, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  12. Independent Voter

Of course Kennedy is supporting Obama... Hillary Clinton is not liberal enough for him!! All you Obama fanatics make me laugh. The Kennedy's are more corrupt than the Clinton's have ever thought of being. What a joke! You all compare Obama to JFK, but if you know your history... JFK was not a liberal like Obama is and certainly not like brother Ted Kennedy! Obama will not win, face it. The next president will be John McCain or Hillary Clinton.

January 28, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  13. Mati

Chris January 28, 2008 1:51 pm ET
    Billary does not inspire me; Obama does.

Can you define "inspire"? And what are you going to DO after getting inspired? Just try to follow more than one 'thought' at a time...

January 28, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  14. Perry, Los, CA

To ALL other Democrats with influence, NOW is your time to endorse Obama as well. Ted has given you political cover to do so. This should be done all at once so the Dem Primary race can be pretty much over on FEB 5th. The object was and is to get the Democrats back in the White House, NOT to get the Clintons back in the White House.

January 28, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  15. George

So much for rejecting the status quo!!! Kennedy is more history than Clinton. When it comes to winning the election, Obama can say anything and do anything.

January 28, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  16. Hoping in La

Mati misses the point..... the intangible gain we get for the country united in hope, sharing one dream and vision. Not in my lifetime have I seem a politician with the ability to reach across boundaries (political, racial, gender, socio-economic) and give us the opportunities to believe again. We have the capacity to be better to ourselves and the world. We need to believe. Obama can get us there! I believe!

January 28, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  17. colorblind

I THINK THE WORD IS DENIAL......BUT ANYWAY...... ITS OK FOR HILLARY TO MAKE UP HER OWN RULES ...... GO AHEAD WIN FLORIDA...... BUT YOU KNOW WHAT...... IT WOULD BE REALLY CRAZY IF SHE LOSES TO THE "NONE OF THE ABOVE" OPTION LIKE SHE ALMOST DID IN MICH..... LETS SEE WHAT HAPPENS .... CAN SHE LOSE IN A ONE PERSON RACE..... MAYBE! IF ANYBODY CAN DO IT SHE CAN

January 28, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  18. Chris, Jacksonville

I thought Obama wanted to win.

Odd choice of endorsement to get excited about.

January 28, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  19. Erik

Senator Kennedy supports Senator Obama becauseof his honesty and the fact that he can unite the Americans and the world.Obama cares from the heart and is not just hungrey for power.I hope the Americans are going to be Smart this time in choosing a good president.

January 28, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  20. Lily

Lying, cheating or not Bill did a great job getting the country on the right track during his presidency...i think people are just too judgemental these days. How many can really say they've never done either of these things?

I love Obama's message but then I wonder what experience does he really have in addressing the issues most important to me? For instance, foreign policy is a key issue. As a first term senator that has spent more than 1/2 his time in office campaigning for the presidency, what first hand experience does he have in this arena? Don't give me rhetoric, give me a plan. Again love the message but need a little more substance.

Hillary ... she's got more first hand experience but I'm not totally convinced either. Decisions, decisions.

January 28, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  21. RP for prez

R0n Paul > Democratic Party Nominee / any republican

January 28, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  22. Michiel

As someone living in Illinois for most of my life, including the last 15 years, I never heard of Obama until he decided to run for the US Senate. Accomplishments while in the Illinois senate, I'm sure. But cannot recall anything that actually stands out. To me, he is, to paraphrase "sound and fury, signifying nothing". Both he and Hillary Clinton are the polical establishment. Both with their Congressional supporters. Everyone knows, in Washington, you don't get something for nothing. John Edwards has the ideas and the drive to put them into action. Vote for the candidate who is beholden to no one except the American People. Vote John Edwards!

January 28, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  23. NObama

Let me get this right..He is for CHANGE? Against the "status quo" but has the backing of Kennedy and Kerry?

WAKE UP..He is pulling you guys in. I trully believe you guys are under his spell like some CULT!!

January 28, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  24. Amy in Cincy

If Ted Kennedy had endorsed Hillary Clinton, everyone on this blog complaining that endorsements mean nothing would be jumping for joy. We ALL know that is endorsement is HUGE!

January 28, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  25. Obama Supporter

Nadira - poor argument. Last time I checked, Caroline Kennedy was a woman.

Also, endorsements from governors, senators, etc., mean an awful lot on the Democratic side - they're called super delegates - and they're factored into the total delegate count.

Obama '08!