January 28th, 2008

Kennedy endorses Obama: 'I feel change in the air'

Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.
Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Edward Kennedy backed Sen. Barack Obama for president Monday, saying: "It is time again for a new generation of leadership."

"It is time now for Barack Obama," the Massachusetts senator and brother of the late President Kennedy added.

He stood with Obama, his son Rep. Patrick Kennedy and his niece, Caroline Kennedy before a screaming capacity crowd of students at American University in Washington, DC.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Ted Kennedy
  1. Pieter

Wow Ashley! You convinced 50 friends to vote Republican if Hillary wins the nomination...Maybe you should run for president! You are not a true democrat. Any DEM candidate would be better than Bush. PLEASE America unite behind the chosen DEM candidate!

January 28, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  2. Sue

Yes, Obama was inspiring when he first announced that he was running for president. His speech about hope and uniting the country was unique. But as the campaign progressed, he started to take phrases from John Edwards' speeches. Edwards' got loud applauses when he talked about taking on the lobbyist in Washington . It was apparent that either Obama or an Obama advisor have been closely listening to Edwards on the stump. This is where his uniqueness comes into question.

January 28, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  3. Sarah

I was there (just got back to my dorm room!), and Obama really is as charismatic as people say. However, that I'm still voting for Edwards. I have a lot more confidence in Senator Obama than I did before, but not enough to vote for him in the primary...

January 28, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  4. Kevin

To Fred – They did lose the general election, barley, mind you, but they did win the primary. ;)

January 28, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  5. PS, KC, MO

I find it interesting that he spoke in terms of abstract reasons for supporting Obama. I'd love to hear something a little more concrete from Kennedy. Such as, how does he line up on the issues?
    I think far too many people are voting based on race, gender or abstract qualities and far too few are taking a close look at the issues and where the candidates stand on those issues.
    I've been a Kennedy supporter since JFK. But, on Super Tuesday, I'm going with Edwards. I think he best embodies the ideals of the Democratic party. And he most closely mirrors my stand on the issues.

January 28, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  6. Robert

The liberal wing of the Democratic Party is determined to lose another Presidential election. The only Democrat elected President in the last 30 years was Clinton. Hillary Clnton is the most qualified, experienced and electable candidate out there. for the Democrats ... Don't Blow It!

January 28, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  7. DB

Change, can happen to the old guard and will need to happen to move this country forward.

Basically, it Ted can change anything can happen.

January 28, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  8. JAMES

Why do so many people fear change. A new begining, a different look at the world.

As a nation we can not follow this path of war and force on the world.

We must embrace a change in thinking, and action.

America, must reinvent, itself.

In-order to remain on top.

Learn from the Past, Stop Fearing the Future.

***GO OBAMA 08 *****-

January 28, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  9. Woody

It is an important endorsement. We also have 3 of Bobby Kennedy's children endorsing Clinton. So, how they play out, we'll see. Don't forget that John Kennedy , by the time he was elected President had served in WWII, won a Pulitzer Prize and had spent 14 years in Congress. So those who would view John Kennedy as "experienced" as Obama at this point in his career need to take another look.

January 28, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  10. Obama Supporter

ROSS - well said. Kennedy does not want to divide the party. That's why he said that he wold support whoever the Democratic nominee is.

However you feel about Kennedy, his voice carries much weight within the Democratic party. This is really unprecedented that he is endorsing a candidate during the primary stage of the campaign.

January 28, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  11. Tasha

THE CLINTONS ARE NOT THE ENEMY....

the Republicans are. I fear that the party is being torn appart. Leave it to the Democrats to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory. It appears everyone has forgotten that the Clintons WON one for us. Isn't the point of elections to WIN? While Barack is incredibly inspirational, if he can't stand up to the little bit of dirt that the Clintons are kicking, he hasn't got a prayer in the general election. With all the tousling going on in this primary there are sure to be a number of factions left broken and hurt in the party that will not show up on election day as a result. Get ready for Presidant McCain. Maybe its just time for the party to break into two separate parties the Liberals and the Moderates.

January 28, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  12. Cliff,Baltimore MD

I bet Sen. Kennedy only endorsed Obama cause he's black, right??
    Right???
    The hater posed an interesting fact....Kennedy did endorse Kerry and Gore. They won the nomination, right??
    Right???

Obama 08'

January 28, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  13. rainman

I'm not sure having the one kennedy who is almost as divisive as hillary endorsing you is a fabulous thing! Obamais inspiring but I wonder if he can deliver on all that. I still think Edwards is the way to go, but it seems we have a nation full of lovestruck teenage girls excited about the new rock star in town who promises change with poetry....

January 28, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  14. Kay

Thank you Brian for reminding us all of the scandal caused by the Clintons. How easily her supporters forget those facts.

January 28, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  15. June (California Voter)

I just want someone that could beat the republican nominee.

January 28, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  16. bill hopen

Obama 08!
    Real leadership with good judgement !

January 28, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  17. Santino, Fargo ND

Big endorsement Ted Kennedy. Obama is really inspirational leader of our time in the American history just as JFK was. He is th man of all pople and a great leader of our time.

January 28, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  18. The Observer

Who cares?

Teddy is no Bobby or Jack Kennedy.

January 28, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  19. carlo

If the Kennedy's endorsement means nothing, then why has the Clinton campaign been actively seeking his endorsement? No, it doesn't matter now because he chose to endorse someone else.

January 28, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  20. Mariam Nabizad

A Very Big Deal!
    Wow. I think the Obama endorsement from Caroline Kennedy will truly make the history books for generations to come. Yes, the Ted Kennedy nod is very important from a political standpoint. But Caroline's endorsement, in my opinion, is far more reaching, far more significant from an "American" standpoint, from a non-partisan/non-political, only inspirational and "hope-instilling" point of view. The impact of her saying, "I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them", is extremely moving and important. This not only because of the positive memories of JFK still etched in the memories of generations past, but also because it's coming from his daughter who never got involved in the politcal in-fighting in Washington or within the democratic party. The significance of endorsements is still being debated, but not this one. Caroline's speech hits home to the millions of Americans who don't pay attention to the nuances of elections and campaigns. They hear "America's daughter" say Obama reminds her of the man America loved. That is big! I'm not a forecaster, I'm not saying this will definitely make him the nominee or even catapult him to the White House. I'm only saying it is extremely significant and will be remembered and written about as an important part of U.S. history.
    I had not made my mind up about whether to support Clinton or Obama. I then found the divisiveness in the past week regarding Bill to be disappointing. But now, to hear Caroline, my position is clear. I can only imagine that many millions would be inspired the way I have been.

January 28, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  21. Rob

I have never seen anything like this in my lifle...I have never been this interested in politics cause I really do feel in my heart that we are witnessing history here....I've never seen one man be generally liked across the board...Obama is truly a movment...

January 28, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  22. Ivelisse

for someone who is in this race to CHANGE the DC ESTABLISHMENT.....actively looking for the Kennedy endorsement is a big step IN THE WRONG DIRECTION!!!!!

**and just another sign of his hipocresy and the emptyness of his rethoric.....**

GO AWAY OBAMA...

WE DON'T NEED MORE DAY-DREAMERS IN THE WHITE HOUSE... 8 YEARS HAVE BEING ENOUGH!!!!

WE NEED PEOPLE WITH BRAINS AND THE GUTS TO DO THE THINGS WE NEED TO GET DONE!!!!!!!

January 28, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  23. Patriot,NY

Robert SS – That makes you a RINO.

January 28, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  24. danielo

Ted Kennedy showed grace and good leadership in endorsing Obama without dismissing the other candidates.

Bill on the other hand has been pouring out too much vitriol. Thats not leadership.

January 28, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  25. Weez

Last summer my 20-year-old son dragged me to an Obama rally. At the time I was firmly in Edwards' camp. But as Michelle Obama gave the introduction I started thinking, "This woman would make an AMAZING First Lady!" And as Barack spoke, I literally got goosebumps, standing there in the blazing Iowa sun. Time and again throughout his speech, my mind flashed back to Jack Kennedy. Caroline's words couldn't be more true.

January 28, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |