January 28th, 2008

Kennedy endorses Obama: 'I feel change in the air'

Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.
Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Edward Kennedy backed Sen. Barack Obama for president Monday, saying: "It is time again for a new generation of leadership."

"It is time now for Barack Obama," the Massachusetts senator and brother of the late President Kennedy added.

He stood with Obama, his son Rep. Patrick Kennedy and his niece, Caroline Kennedy before a screaming capacity crowd of students at American University in Washington, DC.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Ted Kennedy
  1. Rob

there are a lot of bitter comments from Hillary Clinton supporters here...perhaps you should ask why the Clintons' campaign insists on using divisive and destructive politics rather than leading on moving the United States forward from mire of the last eight years.

Hillary's message is, quite frankly, Bill Clinton and a return to the kind of politics where it's acceptable to do anything to eke out a win.

Obama's message is one that a true leader, not just a president, should and must promote to the United States and the world. Obama challenges all of us to serve and to strive for the very highest morals and ethics. behind his great policy plans and strategies exists something else that's on a whole different level than what Hillary or John or any of the Republicans can offer. we need that now, more than ever before.

January 28, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  2. Durham

Heartfelt endorsements for Barack from such a respected Congressman such as Senator Ted Kennedy enhances my already profound respect for him and his family. Congratulations Senator Obama – I am absolutely convinced you are the best person to lead America in this age of uncertainity to its true place in the sun. God bless.

January 28, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  3. grace

This was a quote Edward Kennedy gave that stuck out to me I wasn't aware of the parellel

There was another time, when another young candidate was running for President and challenging America to cross a New Frontier. He faced public criticism from the preceding Democratic President, who was widely respected in the party. Harry Truman said we needed “someone with greater experience”—and added: “May I urge you to be patient.” And John Kennedy replied: “The world is changing. The old ways will not do…It is time for a new generation of leadership.”

January 28, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  4. Francis

"Change in the air.." says Ted Kennedy!
    It must be the hot air and double talk Obama has been feeding us for the last few weeks!
    Obama is a phony, who speaks of change and a new way of doing politics, but who has been fighting really hard to get the endorsement and support of the most established old -fashioned politicians! How do you make or bring change with more of the same? That is Obama's own question!
    Despite accusing the Clintons, the Obam camp has played the race card in SC and it worked there because of its demographics, but he will lose in the general election for exactly the same reason!
    Hillary is more honnest and by far the most qualified. Go Hillary, you are the real change in this election.

January 28, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  5. Bill

I would support a woman, a african-american, a white or a latino for president based on character and vision and ability to lead. I supported Bobby Kennedy for president but was not quite old enough to vote for Jack.

I now support Obama because I feel he is the bes. My second choice would be Edwards. As for Hillary, people forget the shame brought to the white house by Bill, they forget how the Republicans swept into the majority in 94 because of Hillary's handling of the push for universal health care. I consider the Clinton's to be interested in power and revenge; not interested in the future of America. I would have a difficult time bringing myself to vote for THIS woman.

January 28, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  6. Sal in Phoenix

If the far left wing of the Democratic party is behind Obama, that tells me I should vote for Senator Clinton.

January 28, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  7. D.

Hillary is still a great American. I can certainly understand her interest in wanting to be President. My wife thinks she can do every thing that I can. But the oval office is not a set a side for the previlaged. It this was Hillary was "called" with advantages she already has, this should have been a cake walk. The country is asking for something different, the people are asking for something different. Who are they to denie the American people of the finest of our traditions.

Dear Senator Clinton,

With all do respect Senator Hillary Clinton, and President Bill Clinton. The country truely appreciates your 35 years of service, please help us turn the page and join this movement. Senator Clinton, you must believe in the American people, they want the energy of change, if your truely respect the people don't denie us this.

As much as you say that you have it [change], you just don't and please don't take it personal and start crying and as you did on Sunday, and start winning about sleep depredation. You couldn't even give your own concession speech, and now you are trying to do a G. Bush and steal the elections in Florida. Please stop ruining the Clinton Brand.

January 28, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  8. j.r.

Mr. Kennedy made his endorses to Mr.Obama because his one of those old timers who believes a women can't be a president no matter how good she is. If a change has to happen men have to eccept that a women can beome apresident. I rather experiance rather than hope.Things get done by actions not hope go Mrs.Hillary.

January 28, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  9. Patrick

CNN please stop your Pro-Obama coverage!! It is very obvious you are not fooling anyone!! If you were fair you would have a rezko gets arrested ticker right now! REzko just got arrested today! Where is the ticker? I bet if it had to do with Clinton it would be front page news for you guys!

January 28, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  10. William

I am proud to be an American. I think that Sen. Obama would make an excellent president and I am happy that Sen. Kennedy saw his "wisdom" beyond age his him.

January 28, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  11. David

This is awesome...so exciting.

January 28, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  12. Son

Hey, in order to enact change, you have to break through all barriers separating groups in America. Whether it's Republicans, Democrats, Dixiecrats, Latinos, African-Americans, Jews, Christians, Muslims, poor, rich, or the establishment within the (in this case) Democratic Party, that's what you have to do.

Barack Obama is doing that. Is Ted Kennedy part of the old order establishment? Yes. Is Ted Kennedy part of Washington poltics? Yes.
    But is it important to have Ted Kennedy endorse you, whether your Obama, Clinton, or Edwards? Yes.

January 28, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  13. James Brown ( Independent )

The Obama train is picking up speed on the road to a better tomorrow.

God Blees America

Obama 08

January 28, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  14. Gino

I cast my first vote in 1960 for John Kennedy. (That will tell you how old I am.) No candidate since has inspired me as much as Obama has. Some of these comments reflect the old politics of division and attack. Let's focus on the future, Let's mover forward together and leave the terrible Bush nightmare behind.

Gino

January 28, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  15. bond

As a disgruntled republican, I must look at the big picture: Clinton is so hated by the republicans that nothing will ever get accomplished if she is in the white house. Obama will at least make an effort to reach out across the aisle. Its as simple as that.

January 28, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  16. David

This is awesome...how exciting!

January 28, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  17. Kelly, CA

Join the O-Train, people. Feel the fierce urgency of now to change the destructive politics of yesterday.

OBAMA '08

January 28, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  18. dg

I agree with the first blogger. Who cares? That's if for Kennedy and Kerry. I'll vote independent when they're up for election. I think they're just jealous of the Clintons success. Hillary is the best, most qualified person for the job!! Obama will never get my vote.

January 28, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  19. Dutch

...and Kennedy led us into the Viet nam war.

January 28, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  20. Judith, Ridgewood, NJ

Congratulations to the Kennedy's for taking a stand FOR what's possible. Could they see a racial divide growing if things continued the way they were headed, with the Clinton's marginalizing Obama as just a Jessie Jackson black candidate? Yes! If that had happened, who wouldn't understand if African Americans "punished" the Clinton's in the general election by staying home.

Obama is bringing life and new voters to the Demoncratic Party. The Kennedy's were probably one of a very few who could put a stop to Clintonian "anything to win" gaming, and they did. In doing so, this 50 something white voter (an Obama Repulican) has one thing to say:

Applause, applause.

January 28, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  21. Scott the Keeper (Atl06)

Why do Hillary supporters get so upset if Obama gets an endorsement? As a matter of fact, during the endorsement, they said alot of admirable things about Hillary...

Man, who's whining now...

Hillary supporters, stop being so angry, upset, intrenched, devisive, stubborn, old fashioned, obstructive, manipulative, inciting, maheminish... hateristic(lol...I made a couple of those up just for you all...) If Obama wins the nomination, what exactly do you think you stand to loose in a president?

If Hillary wins, I wouldn't exactly feel like I'm in the worst situation possible. After all, she ain't exactly George Bush...

So again, Why so negative???

Barack the Vote!!! Obama08

P.S. and What a surpise that Tony Rezko gets arrested today. I guess this should cloud Obamas big endorsement news... (it probably happened at the exact same time as the endorsement...)

They must have forgot about that nice, glossy photograph of Bill and Hillary (with ear-to-ear grins) with Tony Rezko...hmmmmmmmm

January 28, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  22. Martin

I watched the historical Kennedy endorsement on television, and was really moved. I thought it was sincere, and will definitely help Obama. I also believe it will help those who are undecided to make a decision. There is "change in the air". I feel inspired, and it was quite a sight to see all those at American University excited about our future. It doesn't get any better than that.

Stand Up for Change and with Obama in '08

January 28, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  23. The Observer

Can someone explain why we were allowed to comment on the Kennedy family members who endorsed Obama – yet not on those Kennedys who endorsed Clinton?

CNN – your bias towards Obama stinks.

January 28, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  24. Sarah

A few Obama haters here. The guy has something going for him.
    No one is hating John Edwards
    I love Hillary and she has my vote for now (still undecided). However if anyone thinks she can "unite" the country, whatever that means, think again! Don't know who to vote for yet, but if you want to see someone 52% of the country might support at some point during his/her presidency look elsewhere.
    Im not sold on Hillary because I am thinking of November.

January 28, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  25. Hunter

I am disappointed that CNN has never seen fit to post a single blog I have posted that was critcle of Obama or in the case of my more recent submission Ted Kennedy. It is difficult to believe that my submissions always fall within the group of unposted comments based on volume.

January 28, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |