January 28th, 2008

Kennedy endorses Obama: 'I feel change in the air'

Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.
Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Edward Kennedy backed Sen. Barack Obama for president Monday, saying: "It is time again for a new generation of leadership."

"It is time now for Barack Obama," the Massachusetts senator and brother of the late President Kennedy added.

He stood with Obama, his son Rep. Patrick Kennedy and his niece, Caroline Kennedy before a screaming capacity crowd of students at American University in Washington, DC.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Ted Kennedy
  1. Ronald, NY

I'm so happy to see all the Obama haters talk about him.

ha ha ha ha

January 28, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  2. CLINTON FOR PRESIDENT

Rezko was arrested today – didn't see HILLARY'S name in the article anywhere. But I sure read OBUMMER's name multiple times!

I love all these chants Obombers have – like you can't remember anything important, so you just chant simple stuff like, "Fired up – ready to go – yes we can."

How about, "HEALTH CARE FOR EVERYONE!" or "END THE WAR IN IRAQ!" or "STOP ADJUSTABLE RATE MORTGAGES!" or "UNIVERSAL PRE-K!"

CLINTON FOR PRESIDENT

January 28, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  3. scriptora

I find it fascinating that all the Hillary supporters are belittling the Kennedys' endorsements. Sour grapes comes right to mind. Do you not know that Hillary and Edwards have both been begging for Ted Kennedy's endorsement? Do you not know what goes on in your own candidate's campaign? So far as speaking for the Latino/a vote, wait a minute. Not all Latinas are Hillary supporters by a LONG shot.

January 28, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  4. allen

Just because a far-left Liberal endorses obama does not make him a far left wing liberal. it amazes me how all these people are bashing Obama because he wants to bring change and he is tired of politics that only divide this country. I would vote for him for that reason alone. He may be an idealist, but we have spent the last decade under people that wanted the status quo and it has not made America safer or more united. all we do is agrue over who is right and who is wrong instead of compromising. i am sick of all the bickering with nothing to show for it. let's just try to work together. i wish you people would get it... people are inspired because they are sick of divisive politics! i want a president, democrat or republican that is going to do what's right for the country and not what's right for their base and their contributers! Obama is the only one speaking that language! So rather TED or john kerry endorsed him or not, i would vote for him over Clinton (whom i love) anyday!

January 28, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  5. David, Gilbert Arizona

You democrats are pretty funny. If Kennedy had endorsed Hillary all the Hillary fans would be Yipping and Yaying just like the Obama fans are doing now. It is very transparent but it sure is funny to watch.

By the way, if you're voting for Hillary just because she's a woman you're not very bright. That's just like voting for George Bush because he has religion or voting for Obama for no other reason than the color of his skin. None of those things matter when it comes to making decisions about the economy, fixing immigration, or addressing the failed "No Child Left Behind" program. Being a woman does not automatically give a person some special insight to those issues. Neither does being a person of color or a person with strong religious beliefs. I'm not electing a nurse maid. I'm electing a president.

As a republican I can say your best democrat hopeful is Edwards but you guys nominate whoever you want. If you choose Hillary you should be full aware that she gets no cross over votes from republicans. Republicans do not like her and for very real reasons, such as her unfunded health care program. We simply can't afford her liberal agenda especially in our current economy. Obama fairs better than Hillary but Edwards does the best over all. It is mind boggling to watch Edwards fall to the way side as you guys squabble over mundane issues like gender and race. I thought we, as a nation, were better than that.

Hope you all enjoy having another republican as president. I sure will.

January 28, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  6. JACKIE SINIUS

EXPERIENCE, PLEASE. I'VE HEARD THIS SO MUCH THAT IT MAKES ME SICK. I SEE OUR COUNTRY BEING RUN NOW BY SOMEONE WHO RAN THE GOV. OF TEXAS. HE DID A LOUSY JOB AS GOV. HERE IN TEXAS. I'M ORGINALLY FROM NEW YORK. HE DID NOTHING FOR THE ECONOMY HERE AT ALL. HE GOT VOTED IN FOR 8 YEARS. ANYONE ELSE CAN'T MESS UP OR DIVIDE THIS COUNTRY ANYMORE THAN WHAT IT IS. RICH GETTING RICHER, POOR GETTING POORER. I KNOW, I JUST GOT LAYED OFF, NOW ON UNEMPLOYMENT. WE NEED A NEW WASHINGTON.

January 28, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  7. stacy

Terrible tragedy that John Kennedy is not alive or the race/gender thing would not
    even be on the menu.

January 28, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  8. Territo

Endorsements don’t make much of a difference for the most part but with the race as tight as it is every little bit helps. The main significance of these government positioned endorsements is that it shows that the Democratic Party, which was largely for Clinton at the beginning of her campaign, is starting to lean towards Obama since she is no longer a sure win.

January 28, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  9. Charlie Murphy

It's amazing that we the current generation cannot see "history" in the maknig as it is being made. Instead, we talk down at and tear down obviously good intentions of others. Most of the people commenting this article are democrats and – truth be told – would (or Should) be happy with any of the candidates over Romney or McCain. Yet, what Barack Obama says about 'getting hung up with the politics of the past preventing us from moving forward' is a true statement. The comments in this dialogue are enough proof of that statement that instead of uniting around three solid candidates, we are in fact trying to destroy the views of others by mocking and beating down each others words.

I am a black american and would support Hillary if she wins. I don't believe that her actions have been justified in terms of how she has managed her campaign. However, I believe that her intentions for the country would be honorable, even if she ruffled a few feathers and reflected a less than her best self along the way. I think given time she would realize the mistakes she made in her campaign tore democrats apart, and like always (e.g. vote on Iraq, NAFTA, etc.) apologize – and truly mean it. Really, I think she is sorry for those votes and deserves to be let off the hook.

The basic problem I have is, that while we can make mistakes and apologize, and truly mean it, and should be exalted and given forgiveness. We should note that in the position of President, we often cannot afford to make mistakes the first time, because there is often NO second chance. When I saw Barack Obama's speech after voting against the war in Iraq and his ability to forsee what the results of the war would be, I realized that he had the insight necessary to avoid making those critical errors of judgement that could destroy our country.

We have already seen what it is like to have a leader that lacks judgement. In my opinion we cannot afford to take the risk on Hillary. Obama's judgement has been sound and now testified to by Senator Kennedy. For anyone to take pot shots at Ted Kennedy who has given away most of his years to helping others gain freedoms and equality is further evidence that our country desperately needs a president like Barack Obama.

I hope that these words do not fall on deaf ears. I also hope that those who read understand that I respect them as much as I would my brothers and sisters.

January 28, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  10. Chris

If anyone on the blog really think Hilary Clinton will bring about change for this country you are only kidding yourselves. Just like Bush scared America into a second term with the threat of terrorism, Clinton will continue to divide the houses of government and nothing will get accomplished. Look at how she and her husband are running her campaign. They will say anything to get elected.

What is wrong with wanting something different and hoping for change. There are only two qualifications for you to be president in this country. A natural citizen and being 35 or older. You do not ever have to hold public office in order to run for the White house. With that being said Ms. Clinton sold called experience is highly over-rated. Ask the New Yorkers that are being priced out of the neighborhoods they have been living in all their lives so BIG development can put condos only the rich can afford. I don't see her saving people homes and trying to keep neighborhoods in tact for the state that she represent.

She is running off the so-called success of her husband and thus she and her husband are getting a rude awakening it time for change in Washington and the good old business as usual in Washington is not benefitting EVERYONE in AMERICA.

OBAMA 08

January 28, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  11. Travis MS

Who cares about endorsements....is anyone voting for Obama, Hillary, or Edwards because a Kennedy said so? Even if you make a bad choice at least make it your own choice and not someone elses. Sen. Kenny's opininon means nothing to me. Obama is a great person but should not be compared to JFK.

January 28, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  12. Janelle

The media is so biased. I really don't know what is going on. I thought that the media is supposed to be neutral. When Hillary gets endorsements, it is usually on the second page and now Kenneday is supporting Obama, it is on the front page. I think that the media is playing politics and obama is using it. He is a smart politician in which he acts like he is not playing politics and not doing fingerpointing. But in many ways, he is. Shame on you, OBAMA!

January 28, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  13. AJ

I support Obama and my vote is final. No one can change my vote and I will not be changing my vote. All of you are entitled to your opinion no matter how ignorant it is. I did not know so many uneducated people were on these blogs until I read some of these comments.

January 28, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  14. From Illinois

43 male presidents who ruled this country already. Can anyone really say that we have reached the peak of realizing the American Dream or is it turning the other way around? Sorry to say, but if Obama wins the nomination (because people "feel good" about it), I am skipping the ballots. Day one for him as president will probably be changing of wallpapers in the White House.

January 28, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  15. Chris

I think that the majority of the people who have wrote on this wall are "Natural Born Haters". Everyone should be happy that change is on the way and this dis-honest government system is heading out of the way!!! I am so sick of hearing negative things about our country & society ( even though it is true). Everyone needs to but Jesus into their life (that statement is for the world) and Obama needs to be elected as our President of the United States!!!! GO OBAMA!!!! PEOPLE WILL ALWAYS HATE BUT KNOW THAT GOD IS GREAT AND HE WILL SEE US THROUGH!!!! CHANGE IN ON THE WAY!!!! HALLELUJAH!!!

January 28, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  16. Greg

It does not matter what a Kennedy says. They are part of the old school problem in the government. A Kennedy has been there since the dawn of time. Look at the mess we are in now. They just want to secure there life style.

January 28, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  17. Tony

Shame on you CNN is all I got to say. I used to watch CNN every day believing this is the best place for news around the world. You may be able to make OBAMA elected, but you lost all your credibility. I will cancel CNN channel.

January 28, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  18. jon

Oh yeah... I sure would want a washed up hasbeen of a political hack supporting me. We need a change??? After 30 years of being in your position you are saying we need a change? Where was the change 20 years ago? I love the Kennedys but come on....... Teddy's time has come and gone and his influence is not what his brothers were. I am not sure I would want the Kennedy curse following me around Obama. The fact is .. having a person like Ted Kennedy endorse me for office would be sucide. He needs to go cover up more of his family messes than put his mouth out there for us to read. And Caroline.......... where were all the endorsements from these last few years? Oh... that's right... you brother was the one who knew what he was talking about. Now, I do miss his opinion and his style. Democrates and Republicans alike do not have to worry by having Teddy endorse someone.

January 28, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  19. J

Kennedy said he has always planned to "support the candidate who inspires me, who inspires all of us, who can lift our vision and summon our hopes and renew our belief that our country's best days are still to come."
    Well, the only thing that has inspired Ted Kennedy for the last twenty years is Jack Daniel's. So I take his advice with a grain of salt.

January 28, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  20. SB

You folks are missing the forest for the trees, Ted Kennedy's endorsement means nothing, it's Caroline people. Caroline Kennedy is a true american treasure and for her to come out and support Obama is huge...

January 28, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  21. Paul

Bobby, Martin, and John are looking down from heaven and God is pleased. The american people are chooseing peace over war and love over hate. The american people are chooseing hope over fear. The american people in Barack Obama have something to vote for instead of something to vote against. Thank you Teddy, Caroline and Patrick!!!!

January 28, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  22. lkj

my head says Hillary but my heart says Obama??

January 28, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  23. J. McKinney SW MO

This country needs a lot more than pretty speeches about HOPE and CHANGE. We need someone who is able to make these changes a reality. Obama isn't talking about how he will be able to make these changes. He talks about bringing disagreeing factors together, but he doesn't say how he will do it.
    My two old tomcats fight a lot, and I HOPE I can CHANGE them but so far I haven't had any luck. And while I try to bring them together peacefully, it is a lot easier talking about it than getting it done.
    It won't be easy, but I think Hillary is much more ready to actually ACCOMPLISH something for our country than Obama.

January 28, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  24. Robin Wagner from ct

Everyone thinks Hill has this . But no watch and wait . This is not over until this summer . Barack will take this and with it , In the summer . OHIO yet not voted on Feb 5th . The rest will vote March and April .
    Not over for Barack Hill And Ahhhh Bill people .

January 28, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  25. Dan, TX

Yeah who cares what the Kennedy's and Clinton's think. It's time for a change.

Obama has the most detailed policy proposals of any candidate. If you don't know what they are, it's because you don't care enough to look for them and are willing to vote as an uninformed voter. Shame on anyone who doesn't go to the Obama and Clinton web sites to compare them on the issues and compare them on who they are.

I did. Obama won me over.

January 28, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |