January 28th, 2008

Kennedy endorses Obama: 'I feel change in the air'

Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.
Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Edward Kennedy backed Sen. Barack Obama for president Monday, saying: "It is time again for a new generation of leadership."

"It is time now for Barack Obama," the Massachusetts senator and brother of the late President Kennedy added.

He stood with Obama, his son Rep. Patrick Kennedy and his niece, Caroline Kennedy before a screaming capacity crowd of students at American University in Washington, DC.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Ted Kennedy
  1. Vince, Arizona

WOW!! LOOK AT ALL OF THE CHEAP SHOTS!!!!

I HAVEN'T HEARD THIS MUCH SPIN SINCE HURRICANE KATRINA!!!!!

January 28, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  2. Rick Maryville TN

If you are looking for REAL change, someone who is NOT beholden to Washington insiders or the Chicago political machine, and who set the agenda for the Democratic party for 2008 and going forward...then you must vote for John Edwards.

Edwards 08

January 28, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  3. Think about it

How "Old Washington Politics" can you get? The Kennedy's a respected family and have their place in our history, but I find it odd that a candidate so for "change" and "anti-washington politics" would embrace Ted Kennedy...

January 28, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  4. Mike

To all of you wannabe political experts who think these endorsements mean nothing just goes to show you have no idea about politics. If anyone is blowing hot air it’s Hillary’s delusional plans and ideas. She can talk all she wants about her plans such as Universal Health Care, but unless she has support from congress to accept these ideas they are nothing but fairy tale stories. Obviously without the consensus of her own party and knowing that the Republican Party will not agree or be willing to work with her will constitute four years of wasted tax dollars and a more divided Congress that will continue business as usual. Most of you fail to remember the fact that those so called great days of the nineties were because of a Republican led Congress that allowed Bill Clinton to take credit for the country’s success. Uniting this country starts with having a united front in Congress which isn’t about to tell the people of this country that we will tell you what to do. We have government in our business enough and we don’t need them telling us what we can have or can’t have or what choices are best for us. I for one can make my own choice on which health care plan is best for me, not telling it’s this or nothing and oh by the way you will be fined if you don’t. The last time I checked this was the land of the free, free to decide and make the necessary choices that affect my life.

January 28, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  5. Jim, American in Paris

Who needs Ted Kennedy! 1950, 1960?

Thought Obama was turned off by the "past"!!!

Time for change? Feel something in the air?

When we see this kind of poor judgement and back-turning we sure do feel something in the air:

The Republicans winning the White House!!!

Thanks Ted for dividing the Democrats a little bit more. We'll all remember this later!

January 28, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  6. Susan

I can not believe that anyone thinks that an endorsement from Ted Kennedy means anything to people (especially the Democrats). I have no respect for that man whatsoever. As for the endorsement from this niece Caroline, I believe she referred back to the fact that this is who her father would vote for. She was a child when her father died and could not possibly have know or even understood a thing about politics, so that endorsement is meaningless. It is just a shame that people have not even checked out Obama before endorsing him. Charisma does not make a person a good leader and let us not forget how he conveniently does not cast votes. College students are standing up for him but just check his voting record (the ones he actually did) and surprise – - he voted down any help!

January 28, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  7. California Lady

I would like to introduce you all to the next President of the United States
    President Barack Obama

January 28, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  8. Hillry,NY

I know I don't want Teddy Boy to give me ride home. One minute your having a great time, the next your in water.

January 28, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  9. William

Amen, Amen, Amen!

January 28, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  10. mishte

Like any candidate, Hilarity Clinton cannot be held personally responsible for what every single fringe supporter does or says (but the frequency and vulgarity of them do cause one to wonder, sometimes), but she is absolutely responsible for the statements and actions of her husband.

Clinton should be held accountable for her husband's campaigning. She cannot be excused from this while simultaneously be considered as an adequate leader on any level.

January 28, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  11. Marva Drew

Dear Senator Kennedy,

I would like to thank you and your family for your endorsement of Mr. Obama

God Bless You All,

Marva Drew

January 28, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  12. carol

For all of you who remember , Al Gore won the popular vote so maybe we should draft him now

January 28, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  13. Harold

If I was Obama, I would tell this moron to get off my side.

January 28, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  14. mark

Ted Kennedy's endorsement multiplied 10 times does not matter to me. I STILL GO HILLARY!

January 28, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  15. Evergreen State

How messed up does a liberal have to be to NOT get an endorsement by Ted Kennedy?

At the same time, is this something Obama really needs....or wants?

January 28, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  16. Nathan Scott

I personally have been moved time and time again by what Obama has been saying in his speeches.. I'm glad to see the Kennedy's endorsing him, because in all honesty, he does remind me of a JFK, and I think that is what we need right now...

Obama '08!

January 28, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  17. Correy

Good for you Obama...now you have the support of one of the "Shady Old Democrat Guards" as for the change you espouse, isn't this a contradiction...

I want to know what you are going to change, how you are going to change it and what it is going to cost ...the rhetoric is lovely but I so far there is no meat and potatoes to back it. You need to answer some issue questions or all the endorsements you get won't mean a thing.

January 28, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  18. Carole CA

Enjoy it. Here comes Super Tuesday!

January 28, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  19. James

With friends like Ted Kennedy who needs enemies? Hillary already has the media with all it's news casters, and they have been showing on CNN at 11:00 for the past two nights Right wing bastards planning attacks against her. I think this is terrible. They should be a law against this kind of abuse. Does anybody have a conscience anymore . God help our country it is in bad shape-

January 28, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  20. Paula of Los Angeles

Dont forget that John F. Kennedy's lack of experience lead to the Cuban Missle Crisis and Bay of Pigs. In these troubling terrorist laced times, experience does matter!!!!

January 28, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  21. Lynn - Alhambra, CA

Please tell me then, why, did Hillary and Bill try to stop the endorsement? AND why were they trying to get the endorsement themselves? Come on...get real people, you are just mad that Hillary didn't get it!

Build a bridge and get over it!

January 28, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  22. Brando

YOU FOOLS, Ted Kennedy = Status quo. He's the one who calls the shots in the DEM party. He's NOT saying to Barack "Atta boy", he's saying "I CAN get you the nomination QUICKLY, I.E the SUPERDELEGATES" in exchange for your administration, IT'S ALL BUSSINESS AS USUAL, IT'S THE OLD QUID PRO QUO. You just SOLD your (POLITICAL) soul to the devil. Now, the party OWNS you, Barack, and you OWE them. YOU could've change, once and for all, the (WASHINGTON'S) rules but I guess you were better than that. What a shame, what a shame....INDEED.

January 28, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  23. Mitt Romney

The only people making a big deal out of this is the media. They are hoping it will get people to change their minds and vote for Obama. We republicans certainly dont mind.

All this means for us Republicans is we dont have to deal with the Clinton headaches. Kennedy is doing us a favor.

Go Obama !!!! lol

Romney 08

January 28, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  24. ray, nyc

what happens when obama goes bust. what happens when all the speeches are done. watch the crew that comes into wash with him the chitown crew thats been salivating for years to get into the govt treasury. also idiots lest not forget who balanced the budget last clinton and before him guess and its not reagan.....

January 28, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  25. annoyed voter

I am NOT an Obama hater or a Hillary lover. I am a voter who is annoyed that someone comes up with a catch phrase such as "It's time for a change" and they're given license to avoid straight answers to important policy questions or contradict the public record, and when someone points these inconsistencies out they cry foul saying "It's not fair to use the facts."

January 28, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |