January 28th, 2008

Kennedy endorses Obama: 'I feel change in the air'

Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.
Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Edward Kennedy backed Sen. Barack Obama for president Monday, saying: "It is time again for a new generation of leadership."

"It is time now for Barack Obama," the Massachusetts senator and brother of the late President Kennedy added.

He stood with Obama, his son Rep. Patrick Kennedy and his niece, Caroline Kennedy before a screaming capacity crowd of students at American University in Washington, DC.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Ted Kennedy
  1. Jack

If Obama thinks his most liberal friends like Ted kennedy, John Kerry are going to put him to White House, he is dreaming. Remember how Kerry got ripped apart in 2004 because his ultra liberal views were rejected by the american people?

January 28, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  2. StopwatchingCNN, Rochester, NY

Nothing against Kennedy ad Obama, but where was the article that showed Hillary getting the endorsments of NY Times, Gov. Ed Rendell(PA), and the farm workers Union in Calfornia? None of these endorsments got one sentence from CNN, MSNBC or Fox news. Just wondering, how biased is the media going to be for Obama? Pretty obvious, the media hates Hillary and loves Obama and McCain.

Where is the article telling Democrats that Obama is running ads in Florida in violation of the agreement with the DNC?

Where is the article that Obama fundraiser, Resko, just got arrested this morning?

Just looking for one negative article on Obama and McCain. Just one.

We all know if Hillary was running the ads in Florida, it would be front page news.

We all know if Resko was Hillary's fundraiser, there would be 50 articles about Resko. Remember Norman Hsu?

January 28, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  3. Chris

Go Obama! I've always thought he was as inspirational as JFK or MLK!

I hope this is the nail in Clinton's campaign-coffin. I, as well as many others, have been appalled at the Rovian tactics employed by the Clinton campaign in recent weeks.

January 28, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  4. Tom, Michigan

What a great news. I hope more senior democrats will come out and endorse Obama before the Super Duper Tuesday primary !!!!!!.

Yes the change is in the air

January 28, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  5. diane

I am for Hillay, as well as my mother; Hillary has our votes in NJ; and I REALLY don' t care for endorsements; especially the one from Ted Kennedy. I will make up my mind, and I don't feel Obama is talking to me; I do feel he is a great speech writer, but not a President; as far as change, the senate and Congress make the changes. Bye for now, and thanks for the opportunity.

January 28, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  6. andy

Thats all good and well but I would really really hope that the media along with Sen Kennedy to STOP speaking for the Latino community !! We have chosen who we would like to support and you continue to say that Latinos will do what you think we are suppose to do! well its not at all that way ! Let us speak for are self's and I wish the whites and blacks would stop saying what we will do! You are not Latino! and we will continue to support Hillary Clinton and for those who keep saying the latinos will do this and that ! Ask us instead of talking on national TV and saying this is what I think the Latino community will do ! you sound like The Latino dose not count in this country and that it black and whites who this country belongs to ! How offensive you are to the Latino community!

January 28, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  7. Tyler in Raleigh

I like the part where he slapped the Clintons indirectly on statements of fear, race and inexperience... as well as claiming Obama was not consistent on Iraq.

How many people does this make that have called the Clintons out now?

I still do not like the Kennedys or support their views.... but seems like a right call on that one.

January 28, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  8. JB Boston MA

Ding Dong the wicked witch is dead!!!!!!

Add Patrick, Caroline and Toni. What does all this say. . . .NO ONE WANTS HILLARY OR BILL.

January 28, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  9. Captain

I feel it too Senator Kennedy. I feel it too. The time of the old politics that Senator Hillary Clinton represents is coming to an end. the time for change has come. Thank you Ted for your support!!!!

Obama 08!!!

January 28, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  10. James, Berkeley, CA

Boo-ya!

January 28, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  11. liz

First Kerry endorses him, Now Ted Kennedy. Kerry lost his bid for President, Ted Kennedy is remembered for leaving his secretary to drown...Does he really want the endorsements???

January 28, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  12. mike

All the Kennedy endorsements prove is Obama is an agent of divisive left wing elitist polotics. Rank and file Democrats get about as excited about the Kennedys as they did about John Kerry. Obamas willingness to jump in bed with the Kennedy dynasty really shows that his "change speech" is nothing but hollow rhetoric. It is time to restore the Democratic Party to it's rigthful place, as the voice of America, and not the voice of the far left special intrests. Hillary 08'

January 28, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  13. Stretchy

I really wish I could have been there, this is my college, my home, but I am in Japan right now...

Obama appeals to people my age like no other candidate in recent memory has, and I wish I could have seen the most important living member of the Kennedy family endorsing him at AU.

January 28, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  14. John

This is a big endorsement, this just might give Obama a big shift for his campaign.

January 28, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  15. Angel

I am wondering if our young generation is depressed or having some psychological problem.
    HOPE, CHANGE all these philosophical words are used to boost the morale.
    Smart, confident people do not need those word , they are Action people.

I can understand that for John Kerry or Ted Kennedy, the console is only in those words (as there is not going to be any Action from them at that age). But our young generation should believe in ACTION not in the words (and only words no action) from Preachers like Obama.

January 28, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  16. happy88

i am so happy

January 28, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  17. Amy

More important was Caroline's endorsement of Obama.

What I wouldn't give to hear Hillary right now. Hope everyone is stepping aside of the daggers shooting from her lying eyes :D.

January 28, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  18. Karen

Oh good grief, Obama is talking about his dad again.. Let's hope he gets it right this time... I wonder if he'll mention that his dad came here on an educationa program started by Kennedy? This should be interesting.... did it take a president to get it done or not?

Let's hope he gets his history correct this time...Barack Obama was born in 1961 because his father got to go to school in 1960, due to a program approved of by "President Kennedy", in response to Selma, which happened in 1965? Oops.

January 28, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  19. Stephen- Independent

Well done Ted! Finally we have someone to unite this nation. We have enough problems to solve instead of fighting one another! Hillary keeps talking about fighting Republicans. Where are the positive results of the fighting? Well, we do not need fighting because we are getting worse with the fighting. Let us try another trick and that is working together to get things done!!! If we can work together in our businesses to make profit, why cann't we work together in our national capital to solve some of the problems we face as a nation?

January 28, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  20. Tega

I believe in change

January 28, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  21. JB

Eric, vote your vote in LA and stop dictating whom other should vote for.

January 28, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  22. dave

I liked Obama a lot more before Ted Kennedy got behind him.

January 28, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  23. Kurt, Chicago

I think Ted had enough with Bill.

January 28, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  24. Alex

Obama should run from this endorsement. How is someone advocating change can be proud of this endorsement. Kennedy is the status quo, it can't get any more traditional than that. Couple that with Rezko arrest today, it may not be such a great day for Obama after all.

January 28, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  25. Daniel

Go Obama! Way to go in SC!

January 28, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |