January 28th, 2008

Kennedy endorses Obama: 'I feel change in the air'

Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.
Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Edward Kennedy backed Sen. Barack Obama for president Monday, saying: "It is time again for a new generation of leadership."

"It is time now for Barack Obama," the Massachusetts senator and brother of the late President Kennedy added.

He stood with Obama, his son Rep. Patrick Kennedy and his niece, Caroline Kennedy before a screaming capacity crowd of students at American University in Washington, DC.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Ted Kennedy
  1. Lonny

I don't know why my comments never get posted? But, I will try a simple one!

Obama is great and will unite us all!

January 28, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  2. jess

Claire,

Look at the picture with Rezko and the Clintons. Look where they got some over their campaign money from. If you follow your logic, then you can't vote for Clinton either.

January 28, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  3. AZHill08

I keep hearing how it's supposed to help him with Latinos, but if you think I'm voting for a black man you've got another thing coming.

January 28, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  4. JJ ATL

WHAT WE ARE SEEING HERE IS THE BUILDING OF A STRONG COALITION OF ALL AMERICANS CRAVING FOR CHANGE- AMERICA NEEDS CHANGE, AND THAT IS NOT JUST PLAIN RETHORIC. THERE IS A REASON WHY THE KENNEDYS DO NOT SUPPORT THE CLINTONS. THEY KNOW THEM, AND AS MUCH AS THE KENNEDYS WANT DEMOCRAT TO WIN TEY DO NOT WANT TO THE RISK TO GO BACK TO THE CLINTON YEAR WITH ITS CORONARY OF SCANDALS , THEY KNOW THAT THE CLINTONS BACK IN THE WHITE HOUSE ARE A GREATER EVIL THAN LOOSING THE WH TO THE REPUBLICANS. HOWEVER TED KENNEDY, A WISE MAN WHO KNOWS THE POLITICAL MACHINE CAN MAKE OBAMA A WINNER-
    NOW WE HAVE A SERIOUS RACE, AND TODAY MORE THAN EVER OBAMA HAS A REAL SHOT AT WINNING THE PRESIDENCY

January 28, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  5. annoyed voter

Kennedy's announcement overshadows announcement that Obama's ex-buddy, client etc. is indicted.
    Coincidence? I think NOT!

January 28, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  6. Gary in West Hollywood

Well, I thought Obama is pro-change and not for old politics? Guess what, he is a hypocrite, he will do everything for his welfare! His true colors shows, John Kerry and the Kennedy's? They belong to the old political party? Well?

This is the reason why I am voting for HILLARY. At least, she is real and firm with her positions! GO HILLARY!

January 28, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  7. margaret scott

Obama is the only hope for the future and those of our children and grandchildren and I'm proud of Sen. kennedy and Carolyn to have the insight to give thier support to Obama. MS

January 28, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  8. eva

Here it is: Obama's new slogan: PAST VS DEEP PAST !!!!!
    Good Luck America, we are really mowing forward, our future is brighter then ever with the Kennedy's Dynasty help!!!. How hypocritical.

Hillary Clinton 08

January 28, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  9. Deborah Tytler

I never seem to leave awaiting moderation.....does that mean CNN doesn't think I'm moderate enough to be posted? Or is it just because Obama scares me. Why does he scare me, he is an inspirational speaker with no power to back up his promises because he is still a "trainee" in Washington and I don't have time for him to get on the job training. Being a great public speaker doesn't mean he will be a great president. What really worries me is that if he gets the nomination we will have another Republican president that we can ill afford because their solution is always cut taxes on the rich and don't worry about balancing the budget cause the poor will get stuck paying the bill eventually.

January 28, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  10. Helen Carroll

I was extremely annoyed to hear your CNN Sr. Political Analyst, Gloria Borger, today refer to Bill Clinton, not once, but twice, as "the President" in regards to Sen. Kennedy calling Mr. Clinton to express his anger over "racial polarization". George Bush is our current "President" regardless of what opinions people may have about him. Bill Clinton is a past President! So often, I hear on CNN and other networks, President Bush being referred to as "Mr. Bush" and not "President Bush". As someone who watches all three major cable news networks in order to hear all sides of a story, I must say that there is no hiding the truth when it comes to CNN's political leanings.

January 28, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  11. Liam

Bill and Hillary tried very hard to get Senator Kennedy's endorsement, so they clearly believe that it means something.

Deal with it, but of course that would require that the Clintonites deal with the truth, a concept that is alien to them.

January 28, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  12. jp/michigan

THE GODFATHER OF POLITICS HAS SPOKEN Why even have an election, just take Obama and sit him in the oval office with pen in hand. The democratic congress will push their bills and all he has to do is sign them. There differently is a price to pay for that endorsement. He who has no experience doesn't need any experience for those who endorse will make the decisions.

January 28, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  13. KimSC

Thank you Ted Kennedy for endorsing Obama!

GO HILLARY

January 28, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  14. Janel, St. Paul, MN

To Tom, from Paris:

Thank you for your thoughtful message. You reinforce my strong belief that, when elected, President Obama will represent us well throughout the world through his leadership, intellect and integrity.

As for the Kennedy endorsement, it is meaningful for me. Admittedly, he carries some baggage from his younger days, but as a senator I've admired his tenacity in carrying on his two brother's legacy to make life better for all Americans, regardless of age, gender, race. And I was deeply touched by Caroline Kennedy's endorsement. She is one who has shied away from the spotlight. That she was compelled to step forward to endorse Senator Obama is a wonderful tribute to him and to her father, as well.

January 28, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  15. Richard Owen

Based on the events of the last couple of weeks, Hillary Clinton will never earn my vote. I am a lifetime Democrat but I would cross the line to republican or independent if she is the candidate. Hillary and Bill have a history of lying and unehtical behavior that I was willing to overlook. However, their behavior in South Carolina clearly proves that these lapses are not individual and isolated incidents and cannot be dismissed. They deliberatly played the race card, knowingly made false statements, and once again proved that character and ethics matter. We cannot reward this behavior-no matter what!

January 28, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  16. MB, Louisiana

John, my messages supporting Hillary also are always in moderation. Convenient isn't it? I've got one that been here since 2:30 today. Still in moderation.

January 28, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  17. Natalie

Attacking Ted Kennedy personally will not change the fact that his endorsement (and Caroline and Patrick's) of Barack is HUGE!!!

Stop swallowing the bitter pills and embrace the fact it's now the past vs the future!!

January 28, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  18. David

these Hillary supporters are mindless mob. they have no brian. why kennedy shoult shut up? do you guys have some respect for a the most respectable political family in our country?

January 28, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  19. Leah DiMarco, TX

All of the news media should say FORMER President Clinton or EX-President Clinton when referring to Bill.

I believe the press might be using the term 'President Clinton' to subliminally brain wash the American people!

The only one at the moment that should be called President is Bush and that will only be until inauguration day.

Obama '08

January 28, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  20. Ann

Obama doesn't want change. If he did he wouldn't be actively looking for endorsements from the likes of Ted Kennedy and John Kerry who are old Washington establishment who have caused major problems for the average American with their tax and spend philosopy Just because Obama, Kennedy, and Kerry attended so-called ivy league schools they think they're better than most Americans and can treat this country like their personal kingdom. This country belongs to the American people and not to a few elitist. Wake up America and don't be swayed by the empty rhetoric of Obama AND I'M A MINORITY! Vote for Mike Huckabee, the only FairTax candidate who will provide positive change for all Americans!

HUCKABEE 08!

January 28, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  21. John

Obama got the Kennedy bump just like the Terminator!

January 28, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  22. James Brown ( Independent )

It really is a great day for America , and this endorsement will surely fuel the shift to Obama.

Barack Obama will be our next President.

JFK must be up there looking down on his Daughter , Brother , and the cousin with pride and a smile.

God Bless America

January 28, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  23. Nikole

If you are STILL unsure about Obama's policies and experience please visit
    barackobama.com

And can someone please explain Hillary's superior experience over the other candidates?

January 28, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  24. Eddy

The Kennedys should get out of politics altogether, thats the change in the air America needs.

yes. indeed

January 28, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  25. Amy, Kazoo

I have listened to Obama speak and while I give him credit for speaking well in public, I have yet to be filled with this great sense of hope and wonder that everyone is describing. My own mother switched parties to back him, I am a devout democrat, but I just have yet to be inspired by this man. To me, he just speaks a different type of pandering and I think he preys on the naive and young, talking about having a vision, but coming up short on how exactly he'll achieve that once in office. For me, a vision is just not enough. I need someone who can execute that vision, someone who will show up day after day, giving 110% all the time.

January 28, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |