January 28th, 2008

Kennedy endorses Obama: 'I feel change in the air'

Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.
Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Edward Kennedy backed Sen. Barack Obama for president Monday, saying: "It is time again for a new generation of leadership."

"It is time now for Barack Obama," the Massachusetts senator and brother of the late President Kennedy added.

He stood with Obama, his son Rep. Patrick Kennedy and his niece, Caroline Kennedy before a screaming capacity crowd of students at American University in Washington, DC.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Ted Kennedy
  1. carol

JFK – Vietnam War

Bush – Iraq, Afghanistan, ?

January 28, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  2. Robert M. Reidy N.Y.

The key to all of this is that Hillary is losing ground within her own political party
    and that my friends is what PRIMARIES are all about !

Hillary is losing ground in N.Y. California and New Jersey. That much I do know.
    Bye – Bye Hillary !

January 28, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  3. Anonymous

AMERICANS, WE NEED TO CHANGE OUR NEGATIVES TOUGHTS INTO POSITIVE. BELIEVE IN OUR FUTURE AND IT WILL HAPPENS. LAST TIME I CHECK PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS SKEPTICS ABOUT NOUVEAUTES HOWEVER IT ALWAYS END UP THE RIGHT WAY.

AMEN

FARNZT

January 28, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  4. Becca

don't you realize how dishonest obama is when he pretends that his hands are clean and that he is any different from any other politician? that's what his whole campaign is based on and it's all a lie. you people are so blind and gullible. if you're going to overlook someone's dishonesty, you might as well go with the experienced candidate who will actually do something.

one word: rezko. look it up.

January 28, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  5. Carrie

Huge endorsement!

Obama 08

January 28, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  6. Robert Bell

Wow, the Hillbots are P.O.'ed about this one.

How will they spin this? Kennedy doesn't matter, Iowa doesn't matter. South Carolina doesn't matter. Black folks don't matter.

Denial is a powerful force!

January 28, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  7. Marlene Domke

I'm 67 and have always liked Ted Kennedy. I can't understand why he would endorse Obama when Hillary endorses National Health Care that Kennedy has been pushing for years. I will be voting for Hillary.

January 28, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  8. BCNU

Many on here wrote about rats leaving a sinking ship during the host of Republican resignations the last few months (Tony Snow, Trent Lott, Karl Rove, etc.). Now we have a sign from the left side of the aisle with all of the rats leaving the sinking Clinton ship.

The true believers (HillPraisers) will never change their minds, but those without clouded judgment are beginning to see the light and leave the Clinton camp in droves. Better late than never that you see the real Clintons. They are like wolves in the throes of death, lashing out at anything that moves before gasping their last breath and not caring who or what they take with them.

Keenedy, Kerry, Leahy, Duval Patrick, and a host of others that are well established Democrats are opting for a better choice. Most of the hangers on are not power brokers in the party, though they are titleholders. These senior officials endorsing Obama have one thing in common, their power base is well shored and they don't owe or need the Clintons for anything. Those who stand on their own two feet and are comfortable in their own skin are saying "later..." to Hill and Bill. I suggest the majority of the voting population do the same.

January 28, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  9. Ray

I love the Black kids behind Ted Kennedy who are not paying attention to him and on their cell phones. Looks like they care soooooooo much about Ted!

January 28, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  10. DONAT JOCE

OBAMA 08,

BILL CLINTON NEEDS TO UNDERSTAND THAT HIS TIME HAS PAST. NOW ITS OBAMA TIME. THE WAVE OF CHANGES IS APPROCHING VERY FAST AND STEADY. I APPLAUD THE KENEDYS FOR ENDORSING OBAMA, THAT WILL HELP HIM WITH THE LATINOS AND WHITE THEN, EVEN SOME DEFACTO BLACK FROM THE CLINTON CAMP.

OBAMA 08

January 28, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  11. Kathy

If the Boss (Bruce Springsteen, ultra cool) couldn't rock the vote for John Kerry, I will be surprised if the Kennedy endorsement will have much of an impact for Barack Obama. Candidates are evealuated on their record not by celebrity endorsements.

January 28, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  12. Becky

Change is the key word here.....Senator Ted Kennedy...saying the time for change is here.......Does that mean that Sen Kennedy will not be running for reelection??? Change is such a relative word.....a woman President would definitely be a change a GOOD change....and another good change would be for Kerry....Kennedy...and Leahy to back up their change word and NOT run for RE -ELECTION!!!! GO HILLARY!!!!

January 28, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  13. Yamaka

If Obama gets the nomination, against the wishes of the vast majority of the Americans (by manipulating delegates of MI and FL), he will lose the Election in the Fall 08.

For sure.

January 28, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  14. Becky

Thank you to the RFK part of the Kennedy family that is not getting any press for endorsing Hillary Clinton!!!

January 28, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  15. Washington Democrat

Julie was right on the mark regarding comparisons btwn Obama and JFK- the only thing similar is their eloquence. JFK had far more experience.

For Obama, it is often said that his "judgment" is more important than experience. Would someone please give me some specific examples of his judgment? I don't believe something just because some tells me it is so (in a beautiful voice or not). Also, please tell me specifically how Obama will unite America and work with Republicans? Seems he's had little experience -and again I'm not going to buy it just because someone tells me it's going to happen...

What do we really know about Obama? I sincerely hope that the media will be more thorough in their reporting before the primaries are over...

January 28, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  16. Texas for Hillary!

I'm not reading nor resonding to this ticker anymore. None of my comments have been posted. And they sure weren't near as nasty as some I've seen. But then again I'm not an Obama suppertor. People complain about CNN pratically endorsing Obama, etc., etc.,etc., but they still come back to this thing. Not me. I'm finished. It goes to show how one sided CNN and MSNBC are. Their commentators all sound alike and are absolutely not professional. Their headlines entice the uproar. How i the world can anyone believe the news media anymore? They should be glad Bill Clinton has given them something to report on. Joe S and Chris Matthews and Anderson should move to Fox News. Especially Joe. He is a conservative republican who does nothing but stump for Obama on his show and doesn't let anyone else talk. I'm sick of it. I have more intelligence than this–their sleazy reporting doesn't sway me. And they have the nerve to talk about Bill Clinton!

January 28, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  17. Tailgator

Big Deal... Kathleen, Bobby and sister Kerry, Kennedy, Robert F. Kennedys kids are all endorsing Clinton. Yes, the ones not involved in all the scandals throughout the years.

January 28, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  18. California voter

The caption to the photo doesn't seem to fit the image of Senator Kennedy. I feel a change in the air! Hard to imagine.

Politicians, and yes Senator Kennedy is a politician, as is Senator Obama, rarely do something for nothing.

January 28, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  19. Viktoriya

Why is nobody excited that Former Maryland Lt. Gov. Kathleen Kennedy Townsend endorsed Hillary? Or it is not good news for Obama?
    "While I admire Sen. Obama greatly, I have known Hillary Clinton for over 25 years and have seen firsthand how she gets results. As a woman, leader and person of deep convictions, I believe Hillary Clinton would make the best possible choice for president."
    She added that her brother Bobby and sister Kerry were also backing Clinton.

January 28, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  20. Jim in CT

I met Bobby Kennedy when he made a campaign stop at my school in upstate New York in 1968. His vision for the future, and his tireless efforts and dedication to create a better word for all inspired me greatly. It's a shame that Ted Kennedy never had the drive, determination or vision to inspire us like his brother. Like Obama, Ted wanted to become president based solely on his celebrity and oratory, rather than on meaningful experience and accomplishments. We don't need a coronation by Ted and Caroline Kennedy, but an electorate that makes a careful, realistic and objective consideration of each candidates experience, accomplishments and ability to create the changes needed to achieve our shared vision.

January 28, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  21. Juan, NC

If Dc picked Obama, I am not going to vote.A lot of my friends are not going to vote for DC.

January 28, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  22. jp/michigan

Obama can have all the endorsement he wants. The bottom line is ,beyond all the rhetoric , it doesn't change Obama he still has a poor voting record, lacks true legislative experience and his platform which is standard liberal democratic fare. Check out the depth of his plan and you will find that they are of the sitting around-the-table-talking-it-out -variety. I don't think we need therapy as much as we need action. We elected an inexperienced politician to the presidency before in 2000 and look as though–partly because he is a charming orator–we are about to do it again.

January 28, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  23. Judge

Excuse me, but this is a HUGE endorsement for OBAMA.
    And I think Caroline is saxy!!

January 28, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  24. Jose Card - Independent

The Clintons like to paint Obama as a black president, but this is the trick the Clintons set up against Obama after Iowa.

Had Obama been a black president, he would not have inspired the mostly white Iowa population.

I am very impressed by Senator Kennedy this time.
    Good job!

January 28, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  25. Mano

I am a proud Canadian, But I have been following Mr. Obama's Campaign and Although I now Mr. Obama may not see my support for him. But I sent him an email supporting him for what he stands for. Here is my email to Mr. Obama:

Dear Mr. Obama:

I am not an American Citizen, I am a proud Canadian and a good neighbor. I have been following your campaign and I must say a free country like the United States needs a change. I don't see any other candidates who are suitable for that responsible job as the leader of the free world as you. You have convinced me that you are believe in change. I have more respect for you when you did not bash Bill Clinton when he took personal attack on you. I am very much inspired by your speeches and what you stand for. I am strongly believe you will be the next Dr. King or JFK. I would donate if I can for your campaign but I am just a poor student. But you have mine and many other young Canadians support. We hope you become the next president of the United States. You will have our vote only if we can vote for you. I truly wish this message personally gets delivered to you. But you have our moral support. The Canadians will be watching this elections and they will be rooting for you Mr. Obama.

Good luck and My God Bless you.

Mano.