January 28th, 2008

Kennedy endorses Obama: 'I feel change in the air'

Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.
Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Edward Kennedy backed Sen. Barack Obama for president Monday, saying: "It is time again for a new generation of leadership."

"It is time now for Barack Obama," the Massachusetts senator and brother of the late President Kennedy added.

He stood with Obama, his son Rep. Patrick Kennedy and his niece, Caroline Kennedy before a screaming capacity crowd of students at American University in Washington, DC.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Ted Kennedy
  1. Tailgator

OBAMA/REZKO 08!!!

January 28, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  2. B

it was just asked, "will it matter to young Obama supporters that the Kennedys endorsed him?". I think yes, because thanks to years of the idealization of the Kennedy legacy - whose name always seems to be accompanied by "dynasty" or "Camelot" –albeit deserved, anything connected to them will get an automatic image boost. Especially to young people who will probably only recall JFK the movie and the "man to the moon"/"ask not" speeches snippits that are constantly out there. Marketing at its finest. Here's the catch, just like some of the best advertising out there, the most effective messages are the true ones. So maybe Obama can lead change and inspire hope. Maybe.

January 28, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  3. Joe

Does the general public really care who the Kennedys or anyone else endorses? It doesn't change my vote.

January 28, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  4. Vince Los Angeles, CA

why are you blocking my posts CNN?

January 28, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  5. Yolanda Diaz

No one is going to change my vote for Hillary

January 28, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  6. chris, chicago, illinois

the most powerful and influential name in american politics has endorsed barack obama and not hillary clinton. an endorsement that hillary sought vigorously, once it was clear ted kennedy wasn't going to stay neutral, as the clintons tried to persuade him to do. i saw a small news piece today that had hillary saying that endorsements don't matter, delegates do, now that he (kennedy) has endorsed someone else. fox and the grapes perhaps? if in fact endorsements don't matter, i challenge hillary to personally turn down any and all future endorsements, and to unaccept the ones she already has. because endorsements don't matter...

January 28, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  7. Ready for Change

Tsk, tsk...for all of you who support Hillary, and don't think that this is a tremendous turn of events: think again.

The supporters of HRC would be doing the macarena (and so would HRC) right now if the shoe was on the other foot. I guarantee you if Ted said tomorrow that he made a public mistake and asked the Clinton camp to let him endorse them, they would be tripping all over themselves.

So what is Gore gonna do...I think I know...I think all of the Obama supporters know.

What's funny about all this, from the posts that I have read, HRC supporters are tearing Obama down more than Obama supporters tearing down Hillary. Like candidate (and co candidate), like supporters, I suppose.

Go Obama!

January 28, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  8. Anne

I hope that the young people are smart enough not to vote for Obama. For positive change for America, young people and all Americans should vote for Mike Huckabee, the only Presidential candidate supporting the FairTax. Wake up young people, don't be fooled by the cheap rhetoric of Obama and I'm a minority.

January 28, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  9. Chris from Indy

I still can't quite figure all the buzz about Obama. What the media isn't reporting is that the Kennedy family is actually split on who to support. At least 3 other Kennedy's are supporting HRC. Why isn't that being played up? Also, the media has mentioned Toni Morrison supporting Obama, but hasn't mentioned a thing about Maya Angelou supporting Hillary. Why isn't that being discussed?

Like I've said before, if Obama gets the nod for the Democrats, it will make a vote for John McCain all the more enticing.

Go HRC!!!

January 28, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  10. John in Columbus, OH

If the Clinton strategy is correct, it doesn't say much for the Mexican vote in the West. Apparently, the Clintons are hoping to take advantage of this possibly racist support, which is utterly despicable. For this reason alone, the Clinton's need to be put out of commission, and the Party needs to examine the Big Tent. We'll see. I hope the Mexicans are not as the Clintons would have us believe.

January 28, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  11. Pabaru Yackabuchi

It's all about survival of the Democratic Party. Eveyone knows if Hillary becomes the President she will ripped apart by the Republicans for every and all decisions she makes. If Obama is elected eveytime he is criticized the Democrats will cite racial bigotry thus cementing the view that Republicans are the party of bigoted, obese, rich white men.

January 28, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  12. Dennis

For someone who bases his campaign on "change" and against the Washington establishment, it seems to me both hipocrital and inconsistent in his message to be so happy to get the endorsment of Ted Kennedy. Kennedy represents more than anyone the political "old" establishment that Obama rejects.

January 28, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  13. Stan Harhut, Anchorage, Alaska

I watched in dismay and disgust the rage in Ted Kennedy's voice on his endorsement of OBAMA. I met Ted Kennedy in Nome, Alaska, April, 1960. As I organized a fund raiser for JFK. Ted Kennedy was there for the committed delegate votes of Mike Walsh and I to the Democractic National Convention in Los Angeles, CA, 1960. Mike Walsh, Ted Kennedy and I had deep discussions on the does and donts of politics. Ted Kennedy from those discussions is a hypocrite as Ted has committed the mortal sin of politics. This day, Ted will remember as a day of his " Last Hurrah", as head the party, only endorse after the rank and file Democrarts have chosen. Ted, Shame on you. If, only Mike Walsh and I could go back in time,we would not have committed our votes. In politics,as you said, your word is golden.Ted Kennedy, this day, you have crippled and split the Democractic Party. Ted, you have given ample reason to the Replublican Party. As I recall your political philosophy, this was your "Last Hurrah". Ted, speak softly and not in rage as you are the loser in the long run. God Bless.....Stan Harhut, Anchorage, Alaska

January 28, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  14. shaun

Regaurdless of what anti obama supporters have to say, it's a huge advantage to have the kennedys supporting you. There name is like gold in the democratic party, and to think otherwise is purposlly neglecting to believe the facts. To hear ted speak about obama just reinterates what's already known about this great leader, but to have it spoken so powerfully, and elegantly makes it that much better. I love the fact that ted paid his respects to the other candidates as well. This shows that he indwells the same spirit of unity barack has. It shows that he has the best interest of the party in mind, and that regaurdless of whose the nominee, that he will support them, and we should too. In a world where partisanships viewed as strength, and commraderee is seen as weakness, these two champions of hope (kennedy and obama) prove that there is a better america, and if we embrace this vision, we will discover the dream that the forefathers envisioned in the beginning.

wouldn't an obama kennedy ticket be great...

obama 08

January 28, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  15. D.Stull

BY NO MEANS ARE THE CLINTONS A DYNASTY !!!!! How can you even suggest that the Clintons are a dynasty. I hate to hear that kind of analogy coming from CNN News. I hope someone over there will can that ASAP. To compare the Clintons to the Kennedys makes me sick!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 28, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  16. Sis O, IA

The sour grapes exhibited here from the Clinton supporters is simply too much. I have never seen so much negativity and divisiveness and to think it has went from the candidate down to the candidates supporters.

Lighten up people, it is obvious your candidate lost a coveted endorsement. Because Bill Clinton was actively seeking it for his wife. Wow...even that makes me ashamed as a woman to have to write.

Back to the point, we need unity. And this politics of tearing down Obama is not helping your cause. We have the best candidate available to this country in a long time in Barack Obama. JFK's daughter Caroline sees it and so does Ted Kennedy. And the fact that Ted is a friend to the Kennedys and decided to choose Barack Obama based on leadership over his Clinton friendship tells you alot.

It means that Ted Kennedy see a bright future for this country in Barack Obama. And that alone means a lot to me. It confirms OBAMA '08. YES WE CAN!

January 28, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  17. Ray

Hooray for Ted Kennedy's endorsement – it shows that a lifelong Democrat, well entrenched in the party, is prepared to endorse Obama. This should make some of the "superdelegates" think about which way they want to go.

Also, no one needs to be scared of HRC being a divisive figure in the White House – because there is no way she can win the presidency. Her disapproval rating has been consistently too high. If she gets the nomination, the GOP will win. These are the numbers, folks, and you don't have to like them, but they do tell the story. A "Super Tuesday" vote for HRC is a vote for the GOP.

January 28, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  18. Masters Candidate

CNN, why will your journalist's not write a full article about this?

#########################################################
    Members of the Kennedy clan are split in the race. Former Maryland Lt. Gov. Kathleen Kennedy Townsend issued a statement Sunday stating her support for Clinton.

"I respect Caroline and Teddy's decision, but I have made a different choice," she said. "While I admire Sen. Obama greatly, I have known Hillary Clinton for over 25 years and have seen firsthand how she gets results. As a woman, leader and person of deep convictions, I believe Hillary Clinton would make the best possible choice for president."

She added that her brother Bobby and sister Kerry are also backing Clinton.
    ############################################################

Why are you only pointing out Obama's endorsements? Three Kennedy's are endorsing Hillary Clinton compared to only two Kennedy's endorsing Obama. The writers of CNN are so against the Clinton campaign! Clinton is going to get the nomination, period! She has so many super delegates backing her. America is damaged write now. We do not need an inspirational speaker. We need a candidate who can fix this country and that candidate will be Hillary Clinton.

January 28, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  19. Washington Democrat

Julie was right on the mark regarding comparisons btwn Obama and JFK- the only thing similar is their eloquence. JFK had far more experience.

For Obama, it is often said that his "judgment" is more important than experience. Would someone please give me some specific examples of his judgment? I don't believe something just because some tells me it is so (in a beautiful voice or not). Also, please tell me specifically how Obama will unite America and work with Republicans? Seems he's had little experience -and again I'm not going to buy it just because someone tells me it's going to happen…

What do we really know about Obama? I sincerely hope that the media will be more thorough in their reporting before the primaries are over…

January 28, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  20. GiveMeABreakInTexas

I know this is going to be in moderation for days but here goes anyway!

Thank you Caroline Kennedy. Thank you Ted Kennedy. America spoke in South Carolina and America will continue to speak for change.

January 28, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  21. Viktoriya

Why there is no BIG article on Former Maryland Lt. Gov. Kathleen Kennedy Townsend endorsed Hillary? Or it is not good news for Obama? Obama can make show out of anything.
    She added that her brother Bobby and sister Kerry were also backing Clinton.
    I guess by logic of Obama supporters, it is
    Blow to Obama Face
    Obama greatest nightmare

January 28, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  22. whoffman

Ted Kennedy's support will do more harm than good. He is bitter because Hillary has discredited his Leave No Children Behind Program and is retaliating. I will pay no attention to Ted Kennedy and continue my support for Hillary.

January 28, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  23. pixel

I give a rats behind and the Kennedys are more important than you think.

January 28, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  24. Independent Voter

If Obama somehow manages to win the DEM nomination (he probably won't though) all of his supporters will be crying come November, when another Republican is elected president. No matter what you all think, Obama will NEVER win the general election.

January 28, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  25. DONAT JOCE

AS I SAID THE WAVE OF CHANGE IS COMING. ALL CINICISM SHOULD EMBRACE IT. AS PLATO SAID ITS FOR THE COMMON GOOD.

OBAMA 08