January 28th, 2008

Kennedy endorses Obama: 'I feel change in the air'

Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.
Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Edward Kennedy backed Sen. Barack Obama for president Monday, saying: "It is time again for a new generation of leadership."

"It is time now for Barack Obama," the Massachusetts senator and brother of the late President Kennedy added.

He stood with Obama, his son Rep. Patrick Kennedy and his niece, Caroline Kennedy before a screaming capacity crowd of students at American University in Washington, DC.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Ted Kennedy
  1. Elaine

"Obama is a true leader and Senator Clinton is a manager. Leadership is influence nothing more, nothing less. One can't lead if nobody will follow.." Well said, Patrick. I believe all three candidates are qualified and competent. But I believe Barack Obama has the ability to unite people despite their differences. He’s inspired me to not demonize but to respect other political views. He’s tapped into the idealism of the youth. I am 50 yrs old and I volunteered for the first time in my life and I was working side by side with the most diverse group. He has my support.
    OBAMA 08!

January 28, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  2. Luis

An Obama/Kennedy ticket would have me voting for mccain...

January 28, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  3. terry

This is huge and gets the attention of this Independent again.

I was so turned off by the Clintons crazy attacks and Bill's constant crap that I was not even going to look back at the Dems this time around. HOWEVER, THIS GETS MY ATTENTION!

January 28, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  4. hillabeans

The Pope of Hope and a bottle of scotch,this guy couldnt tie Bobbys shoes.

January 28, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  5. Tanner

Alright? this is my question to Obama: Whatever happened to No status quo? Enough of this Old politics or old, same system in White House? How come this Kennedy's endorsement is such a big deal for you? Bottomline line is, you will do everything to win & do not be a hypocrite! Your real color is showing. Am very disappointed...

I am now leaning towards HILLARY! At least she is honest and firm with her stand. She has the machinery to win it and I hope she wins!

January 28, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  6. Anne

Politicians like Ted Kennedy have squandered our wealth with their tax and spend policies, yet Obama actively sought his endorsement. It is obvious Obama doesn't want change. Obama won't get my vote.

January 28, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  7. Jerome

PEOPLE (CLINTON SUPPORTERS) IS TRYING SO HARD TO DOWN PLAY THE KENNEDY ENDORSEMENTS. THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE... THEY KNOW IN THEIR HEART... THE MOMENT THEY HEARD TED KENNEDY- THE POLAR BEAR OF POLITICS WAS ENDORESING OBAMA THAT THIS WAS SOMETHING INSPIRING
    "CHANGE" CAME TO MIND AND THE CLINTON SUPPOTERS PANICED.

January 28, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  8. Alnetra in the A

HRC continue pushing your agenda. You have my vote in ATL.

January 28, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  9. RW

If Barack is supposedly the candidate of change, why is he accepting an endorsement from the crustiest, oldest, most entrenched Washington insider there is?

One of Barack's ads says we can't fix our problems until we "fix Washington." Well, ole Teddy would be a good place to start.

Bottom line, Barack's stance on the issues isn't significantly different from the other candidates. So the only decision factors are: is he likable? and is he competent to do the job? I'll give him an A on the first question but 2 years of work in the Senate isn't enough data to judge the second question. I wouldn't hire a rookie to be CEO of a large corporation and I certainly wouldn't hire a rookie to run the country.

Sorry, but it's just a practical way of looking at it.

January 28, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  10. Mike

What kind of Change Obama hope? change in positive or negative ways? I just search on wikipedia about Michelle Obama, and surprisingly, she work for Wallmart – then what is the different with Hillary. May be change from White house to Black house.

January 28, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  11. MC- Atlanta,GA

I think that Teddy did what was right- Obama was the candidate most in line with Kennedy's policies.

Obama is a great guy.

January 28, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  12. Sue

The Kennedy endorsement will not mean much. Consider the sourse!

January 28, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  13. observer

Ted Kennedy would rather die than see a woman as President. Go Hillary .

January 28, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  14. Sue

The Kennedy endorsement will not mean much. Consider the sourse! He has been in the senate too long. I think 8 years in the Senate is enought and that should be changed accordingly!

January 28, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  15. Murry

Thank you Ted Kennedy!
    I'm a woman and I'm voting for the better person in the race, Barack Obama!
    Vote Obama 08

January 28, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  16. Matrix

Today endorsement of Barak Obama by Ted Kennedy is like King Author knighting Robinhood.

This is BIG!!

Obama in 08

January 28, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  17. Mike j.

Ted Kennedy needs to let everyone know why he went with Obama.Like becouse he is a man not a woman and becouse Edwards isnt even close in the polls and becouse it is to his bennifit when he is up for re-election.Come on people vote for a doer (Hillary Clinton) not a talker like Obama.Talk is cheap.What we seen with this endorsement was a bunch of talkers talking.Ted Kennedy is giving the white house to the republicans dont let this happen.Vote Hilly Clinton and it wont.

Go Hillary 08

January 28, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  18. Dee Ward Mena, AR

Yes, TED, you feel change in the air and it's the hot air coming from obamas mouth. If you think obama is another JFK then you didn't know your brother as well as the American public did. There is nothing about him that is like JFK and I am not talking about his color. I wouldn't care of a President was black,white, purple or green if he were qualified. A vote shouldn't be cast just because someone is black or a woman , it should be cast because the candidate is qualified to lead this country in the opposite direction then the bush administration has done for 7 years. Someone that is respected all over the world like the Clintons are. Someone who has talked about the issues on the campaign trail. Not someone that just says "we need change" we can do it" Needs to get rid of the old Washington insiders. Evidently obama hasn't taken a look at you TED, you certainly are an OLD WASHINGTON INSIDER. Do you want obama because you think you can tell him what to do and you know you can't do that with Hillary Clinton. She will work with everyone but she will stand her ground when necessary. You think your endorsement will move mountains but in a few days it will be forgotten and Hillary will be the candidate for the Democratic party and will win the White House. If obama is the nominee, then plan on 8 more years of republicans as they will tear him to bits. Congratulations on your DUMB endorsement.

January 28, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  19. James Brown ( Independent )

Obama has a much better chance then Clinton in the General Election. Kennedy's made a very smart choice.

Reason to love America again

OBAMA 08

January 28, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  20. Tom Wittmann

I find is absurd to say that anybody with long performance in Washington in a not
    executive position is bad, even more absurd it is to refuse endorsals and the pinnacle of absurdity is that by accepting an endorsement, the candidate embraces the PAST policy of the endorser, old or young.

It seems that many of the comments are writtenwithout thinking. only out if anger,

January 28, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  21. Geri

Wow! An endorsement from the Kennedy's. Why did they wait till after Obama's win in South Carolina to endorse him??? Why didn't they do it from the start??? People were comparing him to Bobby Kennedy but look at who's kids endorsed Clinton! I guess people who discuss Bill Clintons past need to take a long, hard look at Ted Kennedy and what he's done in his past. He is no role model or then again maybe he will be for Obama who can't say or do anything for himself. I admired John Kennedy but he wasn't a saint either. The news media has been so biased that its pathetic. Another thing that is pathetic is Obama running as an African American....he's biracial and disclaims his mothers heritage to get the votes of the African Americans. I"ve been a die hard Democrat all my life, casting my first vote for John Kennedy but I will NOT cast a vote for a racist and bigot like Obama. Get real CNN...be fair to all the candidates. Your air time and praise for the "fluff" is ridiculous.

January 28, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  22. Julia

Let me get this straight - Obama says he's the agent of change and nothing like those tired old "establishment" candidates, cough, Clintons. And now he's cozying up to the KENNEDYS????!!!!!! Hahahahahahahaha! He doesn't consider the 50-year Kennedy dynasty to be "establishment?" In most of America, they're a huge joke and caricature. (Oh, and the Kennedy men make Bill Clinton look like a celibate.)

Whatever. If I were Hillary or Edwards, I'd be DELIGHTED not to get the endorsement of no-pants Ted. And if Obama had any shred of honesty, he would have quietly told Teddy not to bother.

The media is sure impressed, though. I'm wondering if Wolf Blitzer and company are getting tired of journalism and are gunning for jobs in an Obama administration. Sure seems like it. Only Lou Dobbs remains objective.

January 28, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  23. Hector

I've admired the Kennedys for all my life. I feel that Ted and Caroline have betrayed JFK by endorsing obama. If anybody deserves their endorsent is John Edwards, he is the one that has the ideas that JFK had.

Edwards '08

January 28, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  24. glen

So Ted Kennedy endorsed Obama........wonder what this will cost us. If Obama gets elected, maybe the Immigration bill is not dead. By the way, O don't go 'swimmin' with the Big K.

January 28, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |