January 28th, 2008

Kennedy endorses Obama: 'I feel change in the air'

Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.
Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Edward Kennedy backed Sen. Barack Obama for president Monday, saying: "It is time again for a new generation of leadership."

"It is time now for Barack Obama," the Massachusetts senator and brother of the late President Kennedy added.

He stood with Obama, his son Rep. Patrick Kennedy and his niece, Caroline Kennedy before a screaming capacity crowd of students at American University in Washington, DC.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Ted Kennedy
  1. RICK

OBAMA IS NOTHING LIKE JFK,THE NEXT THING TO JFK WAS BILL CLINTON
    ALMOST EVERYTHING WAS GOOD IN THIS COUNTRY WHILE BILL WAS
    IN OFFICE JUST LIKE IN THE DAYS OF JFK.
    BUSH HAS ALMOST DESTROYED THIS COUNTRY AND MAY WELL DO SO BEFORE HIS TERM IS UP
    I THINK THE ONLY CHANCE TO RETURN THIS COUNTRY TO PROSPERITY IS
    HILLARY CLINTON

January 28, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  2. Ben

Obama – Articulating an image/vision is nothing to making it a reality. Let's put a poet in office because he moves my heart!!

January 28, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  3. joe

I AM A HISPANIC MAN....I WILL VOTE FOR MCCAIN BEFORE OBAMA

I WILL VOTE FOR HILLARY BUT NOT FOR OBAMA....HE IS A GREAT SPEAKER BUT WE MORE THAN THAT BEHIND THAT DESK....SOMEONE WITH EXPERIENCE WHO HAS LESSONS AND KNOWS HOW TO MAKE CHANGE...

OBAMA AS ONLY BEEN IN US SENATE 2 YEAR..,,,,HE IS JUST NOT READY

HISPANIC HERE WILL VOTE HILLARY AND IF NOT, MCCAIN OVER OBAMA

January 28, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  4. joe

I AM A HISPANIC MAN....I WILL VOTE FOR MCCAIN BEFORE OBAMA

OBAMA AS ONLY BEEN IN US SENATE 2 YEAR..,,,,HE IS JUST NOT READY

HISPANIC HERE WILL VOTE HILLARY AND IF NOT, MCCAIN OVER OBAMA

January 28, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  5. cmarfori

I used to admire and respect Ted Kennedy but after his endorsement of Barack Obama, that's al gone.

January 28, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  6. Bob

I do not believe all Republicans are evil or all Democrats right. Frankly as the two parties move to the Right and the Left, I feel left out. With that said, I see several concerns in the upcoming election. The move to push O'bama further to the left by Ted Kennedy , the race and gender issues emerging and The lack of true conservative candidates offered by the Republicans.

I am a democrat, but disappointed with Sen. Kennedy

January 28, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  7. person

I think that trying to compare Obama to JFK is very insulting to JFK. There is no comparison. JFK was someone. Obama? what did he accomplish? JFK had charisma, I always liked him a lot, but Obama does not do it for me.
    voting Hillary, Edwards.

January 28, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  8. Erick

This was reported on comcast news:

"An indicted businessman who poured thousands of dollars into the campaigns of Barack Obama and other politicians was jailed Monday after prosecutors disclosed he received $3.5 million from an Iraqi billionaire while claiming to be broke."

Why isn't CNN covering that news?

January 28, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  9. Elly

I'm proud to be an American again. Obama's the guy. One like him rarely comes along.

I'd love to see a woman as president, and there is no doubt that Hillary Clinton is strong, intelligent, and capable; however, she's no match for Obama when it comes to the ability to inspire and mobilize Americans from all walks of life to unite and make our country better.

Obama '08!

January 28, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  10. Sean McM

Kennedy is an obstructionist....and Obama is delighted to have his endorsement. Obama blows in the wind!!!!!

January 28, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  11. Pat

Hey, media, please be honest...Robert Kennedy Jr. and Kathleen Kennedy endosred Hillary Clinton. Teddy has been trying to redeem himself ever since his shameful behavior at Chappaquidic Island . Some of us remember and don't forget what little character he has. Thanks.

January 28, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  12. hillabeans

The change in the air may be a flutter buster.Ted you may want to check out your shorts.

January 28, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  13. EM

Why is everyone so so agitated with kennedy endorsing Obama? This guy is not stupid, he thought about it for a while now, and whether or not its a good choice he made, he has a right to do it.

OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT!!

January 28, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  14. Black Women in Florida for Hillary

Hillary 2008!!!!!!!!!!!! You go Girl.

January 28, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  15. Steve, NYC, NY

The Kennedys... who are the oldest of the politicians... the status quo, the good old boys, the steadfast stewards... endorsing a candidate promoting Change? Kennedys do NOT change, and I guess Obama is NOT about change either!

January 28, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  16. Rob

Whats Obama supposed to do – say no thanks? Duh... he's a figurehead of the party. Look at all the media play it's getting. It's about beating the Clinton regime now, not the general election yet.

January 28, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  17. LARRY, WEST COVINA CA

IF BARACK OBAMA PROMISES TO CHANGE WASHINGTON INSIDE OUT, THEN WHY ARE ALL THE POLITICAL VETERANS AND WASHINGTON INSIDERS ENDORSING HIM? IS IT NOT THE SAME AS TAKING MONEY FROM WASHINGTON LOBBYIST OR PAC'S? I'M SURE HE'LL OWE THEM JUST AS MANY FAVORS! BARACK OBAMA WILL CHANGE NOTHING!!!!!!!!!! EMPTY PROMISES AND FALSE HOPES!!!!!

**********HILLARY CLINTON FOR PRESIDENT*********

January 28, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  18. Olivia

Shame on Edward, Patrick and Caroline. I bet JFK has just turned over in his grave. Comparing Obama to Kennedy is like comparing a rookie to a king. Doesn't matter. We have our mind set for many reasons. We do not want Obama.

January 28, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  19. Helena

WHOE CARES ABOUT THE KENNEDY'S? HAVE WE FORGOTTEN THE VIET NAM WAR? I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR ANYONLD BEE THAT IS CONNECT4ED TO TED KENNEDY. WHY DOES'N'T HE RUN FOR PRESIDENT? HE IS JUST MAD BECAUSE HE CANNOT CONTROL HILLARY. I BET HE THINKS SHE SHOULD BE HOME IN THE KITCHEN! AND CAROLINE KENNEDY. HER MOTHER WOULD BE ASHAMED OF HER. I AM ASHAMED OF HER.

PLEASE SEND THE KENNEDY'S BACK WHERE THEY BELONG. NO ONE CARES ABOUT THEM. THEY ARE ALL WASHED UP!

LADIES STAND UP FOR HILLARY AND MAKE YOUR VOTE COUNT!

GO HILLARY 08!

January 28, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  20. AdrianTurner

I cant belive what Obama did to Hillary when she went to shake Ted's hand He turned his head I am 25 year old male and I just thought it was rude.

January 28, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  21. a human being

AJ –
    if someone has different opinion than you is uneducated?
    hmmmm..........I wonder, where is the tolerance and freedom then?

January 28, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  22. Mary

Gosh, I see so many of you folks from CA supporting Hillary. Is there something in the air out there? I feel so sorry for you all, you have been sucked into the Clinton Machine.
    Go Obama!

January 28, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  23. lmd

These career politicians have just totally destroyed this country. Let's be serious about a real change and vote them all out of office.

January 28, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  24. Max C

To the Obama supporters, just look how he played his own brand of dirty politics by challenging all his rivals' petitions for state senate (13th district here in IL) until, he got to run against...Nobody. That's right. He eliminated his competition knocking them off the ballot the good ol' fashioned Chicago way...the windy politics ways. The Chicago Tribune has the entire report. The national darling is no different than any other politico when you bother to look. He is pretty crafty despite all the hope and change rhetoric. At the very least, in terms of how to deal with rivals, he is VERY experienced.

January 28, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  25. Ekinneh from Boston

It appears the Clinton campaign does not seem to get it. Many have tried but no one seems to have succeeded in explaining how a former president who was supposed to be a global statesman transformed himself into a political hatchet-man and Precint captain. If this act of political miscalculation is not a great blunder and error in judgment on President Clinton's part, then one wonders what else is.

January 28, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |