January 28th, 2008

Kennedy endorses Obama: 'I feel change in the air'

Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.
Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Edward Kennedy backed Sen. Barack Obama for president Monday, saying: "It is time again for a new generation of leadership."

"It is time now for Barack Obama," the Massachusetts senator and brother of the late President Kennedy added.

He stood with Obama, his son Rep. Patrick Kennedy and his niece, Caroline Kennedy before a screaming capacity crowd of students at American University in Washington, DC.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Ted Kennedy
  1. Yoli

Latinos are the next big voting block in this country. We will put Hillary over the top as she is a more centrist candidate. If the democratic party continues to ignore the latinos they will move to the Republican party. Hillary wants to give the Latino community an equal voice, however, there are those in the "establishment" that are threatened by this. Watch Florida tomorrow and California next week!

January 28, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  2. karen

i guess ted kennedy and obama are similar in their youthful indiscretions...ahm ahm, but of course if we mention any of that we will get shot down like the BET founder, Johnson. So we have to stand by and see the press mollycoddle their little darling. not ask the tough questions. We will see whom he will whine to when the republicans start looking into his drug adventure. Oh yeah..poor soul, he was lost, trying to find his voice. I am sure the baised bozos at cnn will not let this stand.

all you obama supporters will say i am a bitter HRC supporter – but i beg to differ. Just a CA woman horrified as the way the press plays favorites and is biased in its reporting. Note that I didnt say a word about caroline kennedy, who really has been very upstanding, surprising for one of the current kennedys.

January 28, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  3. Pramod

It shows how much Kennedy hates Clintons for taking away kennedy family control of Democratic party this decade or he just hate to see the women president.

January 28, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  4. go

Obama/Pelosi '08

January 28, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  5. Nel

I was disappointed with senator Obama this morning, when I heard on the news that Senator Kennedy endorsing his campaign. What a shame, after rigorous campaign of change in the, now he has the Oldies rallying around him.

I guess his message of change is just a blanket message.

January 28, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  6. kelly

new change right Ted, Hillary and Obama no change .same old song and dance

January 29, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  7. Dorothy Kaller

Who is more of the old boy politic's than Ted Kennedy. This country needs a level headed knowhow women at the helm to straighten out the mess that men like him have made it.

January 29, 2008 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  8. Tim Calhoun '08, Moreno Valley, CA

elena said:

"I remember John F. Kennedy And Obama, you're no John F. Kennedy!"

Funny how JFK's brother and daughter disagree with you.

I think their word trumps yours.

Obama/Edwards '08.

January 29, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  9. Dr. Anne Russell

I'm just as sick of Ted Kennedy as I am of Bill Clinton. Both of these egotistical men have been unrepentant womanizers who have humiliated their wives. (I very much like Caroline Kennedy, however, and am sorry she had a womanizing father who humiliated her mother.) Bill Clinton should shut his mouth, get off the podium, go home, and allow Hillary to run her own show. She shoots herself in the foot by indulging his need for the limelight, and by attacking Obama when she should save her ammunition for the Republicans. As a lifelong Democrat, I very much want a woman President, but I get more excited about Obama than I do about having the Clinton duo back again.

January 29, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  10. PST

I find it amazing how endorsements sway people from their own thought process and a deep analysis of the candidates and the issues. It is like grade school mentality of who is more popular or more liked because some one says so. Have the courage to look beyond all the media influence and truly look into the candidates and where they stand on the issues and forget who is supporting who. It does strike a cord that if a candidate is representing "change" then perhaps they should not accept and endorement from someone does not authentically represent change and who is relying on past imprints that do not seem to apply to this country's current situation and needs.

January 29, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  11. Leah DiMarco, TX

Obama / Sebelius '08
    That winning ticket will cover everyone: black, white, male, female, younger, older, liberal, conservative!

I can barely wait until inauguration day!

January 29, 2008 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  12. karen

unbelievable.......i ask some tough questions, and cnn censors them. i dont see censorship of tough questions about hilary. you guys -cnn- are so biased against hilary. just keep in mind your previous darlings didnt win and this one wont either. hilary 08.

January 29, 2008 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  13. Kate

Isn't that funny. The Obama supporters keep saying they're sick of the political dynasties (Bush father & son, Clintons) and yet they're celebrating getting Ted Kennedy's endorsement who is of course part of the Kennedy dynasty and also part of the "status quo" that the Obama campaign keeps complaining about. What a double standard!

I'll take experience over rhetoric anytime. Why should I trust a candidate who doesn't have much to show for other than give a good speech?

January 29, 2008 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  14. SB

I was against the Bill when he was harsh on media. But I see back, he was true. Obama was really spinning the media. He had to win SC. He who started the fight in that debate. I like Obama, Now I wash he should loose. Hillary should show this media , what she is made up off. I watch all the CNN and MSNBC political talks. But now i started hating them. They are much into Obama.

Obama always says we should end decade long worst white house game. But Bill was good for the country. Then economy was good. He should realize this. Please god, Obama should loose ..... at least to show this media.

I think media is playing dirty politics.

January 29, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  15. Stan Harhut, Anchorage, Alaska

Ted Kennedy, you are correct, I feel change the air-–the wrong change. a crippled and split Democractic Party..Ted Kennedy this your "LAST HURRAH" as party head.

January 29, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  16. Jon, Los Angeles

Thank you, Ted! You are a real Statesman. Until last 2 weeks I was Clinton supporter but his racial strategy turned me off. The Clintons are dangerous for the Democratic Party
    Obama is the choice now!,

January 29, 2008 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  17. J. Hanson

What credibility do the Kennedy's really have? Anyone is dellusional if they think "Ted Kennedy's" support is a good thing. Come on....consider the source everyone.

January 29, 2008 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  18. mary

Why don't you print my pro-Hillary comments?

January 29, 2008 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  19. Kim, Los Angeles, CA

CNN, why are you so biased toward Obama? Every time I make a comment critical of Obama, it awaits moderation forever. I would like to ask you the following:
    1. Why does your headline on CNN.com say McCain ahead in California on the CNN home page? On the political ticker, buried away from the home page, it says
    McCain and Hillary lead in California.

2. You headline some of the Kennedys endorsing Obama.
    Why don't you headline the other Kennedys endorsing. HILLARY?

3. You headline Morrison endorses Obama.
    Where is the headline that says Maya Angelou is supporting Hillar?

CNN, please do not become like Fox. Stop trying to push Obama, just report the story, please.

January 29, 2008 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  20. Kim, Los Angeles, CA

CNN, this is a note for your webmaster or people designing your site.

The comments on your site should be the LAST ONE RECEIVED AT THE TOP.

Almost every other site (AOL, blogs, etc) puts the last comment up on top.

It is very hard to be current on your comment site, because you have to scrol lway down at the bottom to read the last comment.

Last comment should be first

January 29, 2008 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  21. Ann

Absolutely shameful abuse of his position and his obvious resentments from the past.

Kennedy needs to apologize to all voters for that ridiculous coronation of Obama.

It was offensive beyond anything I've ever seen.

Senator Kennedy, the last time I looked, the voters are the decision makers here. Not you.

January 29, 2008 01:40 am at 1:40 am |
  22. Charles, San Antonio, Texas

The backing of Obama by members of JFK’s family is clearly an attempt to get more Hispanic’s in Obama’s camp. I’m Hispanic, and it has no influence my opinion of Obama’s lack of any real substance. Pretty speeches does not a president make. And, with all due respect for JFK, he was unable to get the needed support for his programs. It took the less inspiring, but stronger political force of LBJ, to get legislation for civil rights, Medicare and “War on Poverty”.
    As for Ted Kennedy, I think it’s just personal. He didn’t like the fact that Bill didn’t bend to his commands. Bill may be crazy like a fox or just plain crazy. I don’t know. But, for me, it’s not about Bill or endorsees Obama can mustard. It’s what’s best for our nation. It may not be the end of the world if Obama becomes president. But, I think we’ll watch his pretty dream die a slow death as it gets bogged down in a Republican swamp. And we’ll wonder how we could have been so stupid to elect another loser, that was so obviously unqualified for the job.

January 29, 2008 01:58 am at 1:58 am |
  23. Vito

Read Time Magazine – Obama's Varied Record

Available for free online.

January 29, 2008 02:16 am at 2:16 am |
  24. angela

I wonder what Mr Obama will have to pay for this endorsement?? Nothing is free in Washington as he will quickly find out if he get the nomination = and as he is finding out, the American people will be the ones to suffer the most. what a shame.
    Obama is a fortune cookie. To vague and no substance – a naive politician in the making.

January 29, 2008 02:22 am at 2:22 am |
  25. Jen, Anaheim, CA

America, WAKE UP!! Elect the next president based on issues, NOT rhetorics and endorsements from irrelevant relics of the past. The Kennedys represent the "old boys network." Yes, I do feel change in the air...a woman president to clean up the mess those old boys created!

Barack won't stand a chance against McCain.

Hillary 08 all the way!!!

January 29, 2008 02:26 am at 2:26 am |