January 28th, 2008

Kennedy endorses Obama: 'I feel change in the air'

Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.
Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Edward Kennedy backed Sen. Barack Obama for president Monday, saying: "It is time again for a new generation of leadership."

"It is time now for Barack Obama," the Massachusetts senator and brother of the late President Kennedy added.

He stood with Obama, his son Rep. Patrick Kennedy and his niece, Caroline Kennedy before a screaming capacity crowd of students at American University in Washington, DC.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Ted Kennedy
  1. Katie

Wake up Obama supporters! The reason REPUBLICANS WANT OBAMA TO WIN THE PRIMARIES is because they know he's the only one they're SURE TO BEAT in the general election. That's exactly the sentiment I'm getting from my Republican 'rich' friends.

January 29, 2008 02:33 am at 2:33 am |
  2. J.C.T.

I HAVE NOT SEE INSPIRED TED KENNEDY
    EVERY NOVEMBER 22 IN 36 YEARS
    THAT I LIVE IN THE UNITED STATES..
    BUT,I SEE THE THE INSPIRATION TO CELEBRATE AND HONOR TO MARTIN LUTHER KING EVERY JANUARY?

I ASK ALWAYS MYSELF VERY SAD?
    WHY NO BODY IN AMERICA CELEBRATE THE BIRTHDAY OF THE MARTIR OF THE DEMOCRACY "J.F.K. "?

January 29, 2008 02:42 am at 2:42 am |
  3. for Hillary

CNN is completely biased. None of my comments (supporting Hillary, of course, and pointing out Obama's weakness, of course) showed up on the site. CNN wants Obama to win, it is no secret. However, I believe that Americans won't be fooled by biased new media. Obama offers inspring speeches, not real actions. Ask people in IL, what has that guy done?

January 29, 2008 02:51 am at 2:51 am |
  4. walter redd

The American voters are the most powerful people in the world.In recent years they have lost the respect of most of the world and are no longer considerd fair and truthful.Time has again come to show the world what a great leader can do.Thinking race will only go to confirm that they are narrow minded,small thinking loudmouth who do not have the heart to lead anyone,talk less of the FREE world.Be the LEADERS that you were meant to be by doing the RIGHT THING.Show the WORLD.

January 29, 2008 03:03 am at 3:03 am |
  5. K. David

Obama has the energy to rally us – the Americans together to clean up the mess. He embraces JFK and other prominent American leaders including Bill Clinton. This is a quality in a leader by itself. That means he can work with others to bring the needed change. I urge people who feel inspired by Obama's message to vote their conscience. America needs you NOW than ever before.

January 29, 2008 03:26 am at 3:26 am |
  6. Frank

Last 20 years of American Presidency:

1989 – 1993 – BUSH
    1994 – 2000 – CLINTON
    2000 – 2008 – BUSH
    2009 – 2017 – CLINTON? why?

Is America ready for change? If so, why people are choosing another Clinton? Why people are even thinking about Clintons...it's basically going against the morals and fundamentals of this great nation!

Obama 2008!

January 29, 2008 03:30 am at 3:30 am |
  7. gerd.vilardi

It was Beauthifull to say the least, I for one remember the Kennedy era and was for the best one Robert all the way, anfortionally we newer had the chance to enjoy this time and wath Robert would have done for us, the USA and yes the World.
    But now we have the same chance again with Obama and all the dreams are there again, yesterday was the Future in our hands, we all should unite as one and not be afraid to dream of a better tomorow for all of us. Lets not have History take it away from us again and unite as one schield and let the seed grow in a beauthifull flower,
    we can doit and with Obama it will hapen and America will be the beacon for all again,it may be our last chance dont waste it.

January 29, 2008 03:39 am at 3:39 am |
  8. Ken

Maybe Ted Kennedy thinks that if might have a chance as VP?? Who really cares who he endorses? Obama does not have the skills, talent, knowledge or experience to be a President, or at lease not enough for me to vote for him!

I will support Hillary Clinton as our next President and one that can start making things happen on the very first day.

Anyone who supports Obama, are the ones that would follow the Pied Piper! Really not a very good idea!

Wake Up America, do we want to see our soldiers in Kenya in 2009?

January 29, 2008 04:09 am at 4:09 am |
  9. shane

Obama brags about how he didn't initially support the Iraq war. Even though we now know that the intelligence regarding WMDs & Sadaam's supposed support of terrorism was flawed and manipulated. I would question why he didn't support pre-emptive military force especially in the post 9/11 atmosphere of the time. Was his decision an act of naivete or indicative of someone who lacks the strength to defend his nation. Hmmm, strong leadership, you say ?

As far as commenting on Kennedy's endorsment, why would Obama want the support of a womanizing, drug injesting, alcoholic, Washington insider ? Is this another example of his poor judgement or his desperation to win at all costs. Hmmm, is this change, you say.

Give Hillary her shot, with Bill at her side, how can you lose.

January 29, 2008 05:13 am at 5:13 am |
  10. marc from Indiana

Wayne, Greenville TX January 28, 2008 4:23 pm ET

Robert SS. January 28, 2008 1:25 pm ET

Welcome to Obama Country!!!!!!

I support Barack. And I'm a Republican.

Then you're one of the few intelligent people in the GOP. If you ever get lonely, there's room for everybody in the Democratic tent.

Intelligence? Intelligence? in the Democratic tent? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahha,, oh, man, ROFLMAO

January 29, 2008 05:30 am at 5:30 am |
  11. amazed

Bottom line about this endorsement......Ted can control Obama as President and the "Kennedys" will have a say again. Kerry will be the VP and this country will go to hell. Its all about holding the power and Ted has a better opportunity to have control with Obama. Politics as usual!!! Change is in the air??? Come on...you want change...?....Gimmie a break...with the Kennedys involved there won't be any change...wait I'm wrong on that one,,,,there will be change...Ted gets a say if Obama wins. He didn't have much say when President Clinton held the office..now did he. First Kerry, then Caroline, and now Ted...uh huh...the writing is on the wall. I'll be the first to say this now that I've made up my miind "ANYONE BUT OBAMA"! Thank you Ted for helping me make this historic descision.

January 29, 2008 05:30 am at 5:30 am |
  12. joe, oregon

Obama is from now on gonna go around the country saying "change" and it is only he can change and he deserves to be President. The bunch of hot air I ever heard

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
    JFK.

January 29, 2008 05:31 am at 5:31 am |
  13. rudy T

What Change is he talking about? Ask yourself....really.

January 29, 2008 06:08 am at 6:08 am |
  14. Mike, OR

Vindictive old fool! Would sell our country out, put a greenhorn in the White House for political payback.

January 29, 2008 06:17 am at 6:17 am |
  15. rudy W

Clioton: I am better that Hussien Obama
    Hussien Obama: I am better. Change, Change!
    Edwards: I am pretty, vote me!

Whatever guys!

Mc Cain/Romney/Huckabee is the way to go.

January 29, 2008 06:18 am at 6:18 am |
  16. John ny, ny

kennedy's sold JFK's memory to short to loser like Obama

January 29, 2008 06:20 am at 6:20 am |
  17. Michael, North Carolina

This is a great endorsement for Sen. Obama he has the heart and soul that will unite the nation. People want to hate each other, and point out the negatives about each other. We need to understand that the Clintons had their chance to unite country and to bring about change to the American people. But Former Pres. Bill Clinton had his mind ON UNITING WITH OTHER WOMEN WHO WERE NOT HIS WIFE. I believe the American people are smarter than that. To go between this Bush, Clinton, Bush Clinton is absurb. This is a country of 300 million people, and I feel that a fresh face such as Sen. Obama would do the nation JUSTICE. To see that the American dream is possible for all Americans not just a few. Sen. Obama is HONEST and also the great thing about Sen. Obama is that he WILL NOT SAY ANYTHING TO GET A VOTE, unlike Sen. Clinton. This is what the Clintons are doing ,and I think they need to stop, because in the long run it is going to hurt the Democratic Party.

January 29, 2008 06:25 am at 6:25 am |
  18. TJS

I think he sees weakness and someone he can get to go his way on issues is all this shows. There will be no change with all these senators moving up. Get real people, how can you say you want change and still keep the same people in power of any type. The only real change is when we clean house, senators, president and all. How can they say change, they just want to change where they sit. This is not change for America, just change in their money. the only real change is to note vote them back in period.

January 29, 2008 07:00 am at 7:00 am |
  19. MB, Louisiana

TAMower:

"And how does a vindictive, politically motivated endorsement from the most entrenched "establishment" family in American politics benefit a candidate who is running an "outsider" campaign in hopes of changing the very things that have kept the Kennedys in power? Makes no sense and is the definition of the word "oxymoron," stress the moron. Has it occurred to no one that Washington power brokers such as Kennedy and Kerry might, just might, look at the young, naive and inexperienced Obama and see a ripe opportunity for controlling the President they might make him into?"

This is exactly what I see happening. They've decided to coronate this man because he will owe them and they will be his puppet master. They want to control the Presidency from the shadows. Who do you think Obama will run to for advice? This needs serious consideration.

January 29, 2008 07:05 am at 7:05 am |
  20. Dem

elena,

Nobody said Obama is JFK. Obama touch many people as JFK did and JFK daughter (Caroline) is a witness of that.

I am 28 and I get goosebumps when he gives speech.

January 29, 2008 07:46 am at 7:46 am |
  21. Attacks by the Establishment on Ron Paul Continue

Obama / Farrakhan ticket most likely!

Ron Paul would pick someone all of America could proud of who would bring us together not divide and cause riots in the streets!

January 29, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  22. d

Young students don't now much... they are so spoiled. Get everything from their parents. They don't know how the real world is !!

January 29, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  23. Cindy

I'm not impress as to whom backs our canidates. I love Oprah but that does not change my vote and I've never been a Kennedy fan.
    Sorry to say all canidates will say what ever it takes to get a vote even when they know they can't make that change or never plan to in the first place...
    Sometimes I think they all "sad bunch"

January 29, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  24. Doug

The Kennedy endorsement regardless of some of the opinions expressed by some posters, still carries a lot of weight in political circles. I for one, will not vote for Hillary Clinton, and I strongly believe that those who are voting for her are really casting a vote for Bill plain & simple. I have yet to see anyone and I mean ANYONE, who is supporting HIllary, state what her EXPERIENCE IS ! To me, being first lady doesn't count as experience. So can any HRC supporter list something from her 30 years of being "Around" politics as experience? What office did she hold before being the senator of NY? What is really being said is not "Experience" it's "Connections". Also, I'm not voting for another Clinton because I don't believe that the Whitehouse, should be the personal Time Share of the Bush & Clinton families; that's where the "Change" comes into play for me. Hillary is business and politics as usual; a finger to the wind flip-flopper for example:

Hillary was for Drivers Licenses for illegal aliens (Flip)
    Hillary is against Drivers Licenses for illegals (Flop)

Hillary was and voted for the war in Iraq (Flip)
    Hillary is against the war in Iraq (Flop)

Hillary voted for the new bankruptcy law (Flip)
    Hillary is now against her vote for the change in bankruptcy law (Flop

No more Clintons, their time has come and gone; and I refuse to listen to the chorus telling me to "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

January 29, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  25. joe

FACT:

OBAMA IS CHAIRMAN OF SENATE FOREIGN RELATIONS SUBCOMMITTE ON EUROPE

AND HAS NOT VISITED THE REGION AND

HE HAS NOT HELD A SINGLE POLICY ORIENTED HEARING SINCE CHAIRMAN

HE IS ALL TALK FOLKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 29, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |