January 28th, 2008

Kennedy endorses Obama: 'I feel change in the air'

Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.
Ted Kennedy formally endorsed Obama Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Edward Kennedy backed Sen. Barack Obama for president Monday, saying: "It is time again for a new generation of leadership."

"It is time now for Barack Obama," the Massachusetts senator and brother of the late President Kennedy added.

He stood with Obama, his son Rep. Patrick Kennedy and his niece, Caroline Kennedy before a screaming capacity crowd of students at American University in Washington, DC.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Ted Kennedy
  1. angelo

this longtime moderate democrat, for one ,will not be voting for obama, because of the kennedy endorsement .talk about divisive?they have been living LARGE off of jacks and bobbys legacy for generations now.imagine ted talking about integrity and responsibility.

January 28, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  2. Leah

A new day has dawned in American history.

Obama '08

January 28, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  3. girrlgil, sanfrancisco

A very emotional moment for America. Thank you the kennedy's.

January 28, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  4. adel

Obama is my choice...Adel

January 28, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  5. Matthew

Dear CNN,

While this IS newsworthy, I must challenge you to consider another, more interesting angle to this story. ALL of RFK's children are supporting HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON. They've been active SINCE IOWA. Now, why don't you fairly mention this truth, too? The Kennedys, like many in the Democratic party, are torn between these two candidates.

On a side, note, however, Hillary continues to enjoy DOUBLE digit leads in almost ALL of the February 5th states. I really think it's time the media do their part to scrutinize Mr. Obama's record for a while, too!

January 28, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  6. OffKey

Let me get this straight: Obama the new guy for new change endorsed by the last old guard of old liberalism – Kennedy!? Old hot air meets young hot air. Two empty windbags. I must congratulate the democrats for guaranteeing that a republican shall win! No wonder we're so messed up as a country. Now if only the republicans could get a candidate with both brain and heart and leave the holier then thou attitude at home!

January 28, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  7. Magaly

"Its time for a woman. Men have screwed up usa for the last 200 years.. now its time for a woman to fix things."

Amen!!!!

January 28, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  8. E. C., Houston, Texas

Kennedy better go slow with his endorsement of Obama. There may be more people like the Developer just arrested who have been supported through Political Influence by Obama.

January 28, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  9. Basquale

Great moment! Hope it's going to be remembered for years, that this was the day billary started to fall! Falseness will never succed in this world. Bye Bye Billary!

January 28, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  10. Ron, TX

Would you Clinton fans like some cheese with that whine?

Obama has received endorsements from governors in red states, governors in blue states, senators in white states, black states, and latino states. Obama has received endorsements from women politicians as well as men politicians. He has received liberal endorsements and conservative endorsements.

It's time America is one again. It's time we give up the politics of hate and division and slander, and embrace politics for the people, by the people.

January 28, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  11. Monte Brown, New York, NY

Sounds Good, but where's the BEEF?

January 28, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  12. Dan, NJ

This came despite a personal appeal from Bill Clinton. What Democrats are seeing, and HRC supporters need to take note of, is that Obama has demonstrated an ability to reach across party lines. Not only does he have the best chance of winning a general but also has the most to offer Democrats up and down the ticket... HRC cannot bring this and, everything else aside, would not be the best candidate for the party.

January 28, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  13. Larry

Jessica @ 1:26 EST

Nice of you to vote intelligently. Voting on race or sex is ignorant. And to say you are voting for Hillary because you are sick of the politics as usual in Washington is even funnier. Hillary is politics as usual in Washington, she even said so herself! Man or woman, it does not matter, just as black vs. white does not matter. Get informed first, then base your vote on the facts, not the gentials of the candidate.

Oh, and I am republican, not an Obama supporter. My guy said he wouldnt run, and I wish he would reconsider...Newt!!!!!

January 28, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  14. Bernard

Today I experienced an AMAZING moment in HISTORY, today I cried...Thank You Obama, Thank You Sen. Kennedy.

January 28, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  15. Sarah L, Fayetteville, AR

Even if you don't support Senator Obama, why can't you at least respect the endorsement and the sentiment behind it? What does it help to diminish every success of Senator Obama?

January 28, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  16. chris

Hillary is the clear best choice. Let's not forget all of her wonderful endorsements including half of the Kennedy family.

January 28, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  17. Ro

An endorsement is just an endorsement. However, the dirty smear and attack campaign by Hillary Clinton was repugnant. I don't want those antics representing me and I won't support it with my vote. My primary vote for Super Tuesday goes to Sen. Obama. This nation needs a higher road and Clinton mud won't cut it or garner respect from any quarter, domestic or foreign.

January 28, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  18. Daniel

Can some one please explain the change? I'll I see is a difference in skin color and experience.

No one asks Obama hard questions. He feels picked on, poor guy.

January 28, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  19. Fred

he endorsed gore and kerry who both lost. this is great news for HRC...

January 28, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  20. Chandra Jacob

I am a republican. But will vote for Obama if he wins primary

January 28, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  21. Amy in Iowa

Ted Kennedy's endorsement has me in tears. Obama's campaign is not just a campaign, it is really a movement. We American's are at a great moment where we will unite and take our country to greater heights. I am so moved to see and hear the Kennedy's speak on television today.

When Ted Kennedy makes the judgement that Barack Obama is the one, which I felt all along, you can not help but listen to Ted. I am ROCK SOLID now in my support for Barack Obama in '08. Hillary can not deliver because too many people are against her. And we can not afford 4 years of gridlock from a Hillary presidency of fighting republicans. We need to move forward with Obama and turh the page. .OBAMA WILL GET THE JOB DONE FOR ALL OF US!!!

YES WE CAN!!!

January 28, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  22. Sherry Blake

I am excited of the possibility of someone running this country that can inspire all Americans to work together as one regardless of color or creed. I am suddely proud again to be an American. Obama has inspired me as did JFK to ask myself what can I do for my country not what my country can do for me.

January 28, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  23. Jeff;South Carolina

It is hypocritical and wrong to vote for someone just because she is a woman. I hope you realize how silly you sound for making it obvious you don't have a clue about using proper judgement in picking and voting for a candidate. Perhaps you should find out about the issues that matter to you and see where all the candidates stand on these issues before making a judgement like oh well she is woman so I will vote for her. If your candidate can stand on the issues that matter to you and can distinguish themselves as someone you can trust and believe in its probably the right person to vote for. I'd like to see more people take this course of action and vote in a way that is justified than throwing there support behind someone for reasons that are ludicrous and unjustified.

January 28, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  24. Ashley

And Edward is not that. In reply to eric.And then Jessica, you saying that Obama will say anything to get vote summarizes one thing ,your inability to discern the truth from lies.Who started the race issue Hillary.Who represented and sat on the board of Wal-mart Hillary.While Obama was on teh streets of Chicago fighting for the poor.So forget that your women empowerment cause i am one and will NEVER EVER VOTE FOR A CLINTON.Pls do not confuse others with your rabble rousing.I have more than 50 friends who i have convinced to vote for a Republican if Hillary wins the nomination.

January 28, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  25. Ben Albuquerque New Mexico

I believe Obama is our next President.

January 28, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |