January 28th, 2008

Rep. Meek: listen to what Hillary's saying

(CNN) – Florida congressman Kendrick Meek said Monday that Bill Clinton’s words along the campaign trail have been taken out of context.

“The president’s not trying to make news,” Meek told CNN’s Kiran Chetry.  “The real issue is the reporting of what the president is actually saying.”  Adding, the focus needs to go back to Hillary Clinton’s message.

Meek, who is also chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, faced controversy surrounding last year’s CBC conference after he and Chairwoman Carolyn Kilpatrick (D-Michigan) invited Hillary Clinton to speak at the annual event. Clinton was the only presidential candidate to get her own forum, fueling anger that the group’s neutrality was being undermined by its chairmen.

The congressman endorsed Sen. Hillary Clinton for president back in June and was named a senior adviser to her campaign.  He is one of five key endorsements for Senator Clinton in Florida including, Rep. Corrine Brown, Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Rep. Alcee Hastings and Sen. Bill Nelson, who announced his support Monday.

Florida’s primary is Tuesday, January 29th.

Related: Watch the entire interview with CNN’s Kiran Chetry.

– CNN’s Emily Sherman

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • President Clinton
  1. Bar

It's true-people only listen to what the media reports, which are cut, edited and taken out of context. Funny, when I was in journalism school, we were taught that a journalists' job is to report accurately, the facts. So, when ANY comment or event is not reported in its' entirety, it is not factual. So, since you do not meet the definition of journalists, what do you call yourselves?

January 28, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  2. Donna F

I agree.....so much ado has been made of nothing.....I have a hard time getting to hear or read about issues......if Barrack is not running as a black..then leave it out of the news......as it is he is now taking advantage for his own campaign and making it a black issue.....

January 28, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  3. Mitt Romney

I am loving this.

First off. You disallow Michigan and Florida to have a say in picking your candidate. This hurts Clinton. Helps Obama.

Second of all, ignoring Michigan and Florida is going to hand those states over to us in November. They are going to be rightly very angry about it.

Im loving it. Mitt Romney is going to win Florida and take the nomination.

Romney 08

The democratic hits keep right on coming . What a political party. Lol.

January 28, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  4. Marilyn

of course you have to add a negative spin on this story huh.

January 28, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  5. Farrell, Houston, Tx

No, Meek, you need to listen to your words vs. what millions of Americans heard and understood. Don't let me take it out of context to think you're saying "we are all stupid".

January 28, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  6. Mitty

Kendrick Meek, who cares about what you think about Bill & Hillary. Bill said just want he meant to say. I have no respect for the Clintons anymore, even though I voted for Bill Clinton twice. If Hillary should win the primary, your constituents will not be voting for her. Your Constituents in Miami-Dade and Broward counties are Pro -Hillary. We are very disappointed in you and it will show at your re-election.

January 28, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  7. California

Oh, it just never ends with CNN. I swear, the network bosses' heads would explode if someone ever said something positive about Clinton.

January 28, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  8. Karen

Quick, go to MSNBC.... they're talking about Obama..... Hurry, hurry, hurry....

January 28, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  9. Mara

I notice that this story is buried at the bottom and no one has bothered to comment on it, so I will. I understand what Congressman Meek is saying. I've seen many comments such as Mrs. Clinton's MLK comment, the "fairy tale" comment, the Jessica Yellin incident, James Clyburn's first interview with Wolf Blitzer and President Clinton's Jesse Jackson comment either sliced and diced and edited down or taken in a direction that the speaker obviously didn't intend. And the same can be said of Obama's Reagan comment. When you hear the whole story, you get a very different take on each of these things. I'd like to make my decision in this election based on the real story, not what the media decides to tell me.

January 28, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  10. andy

It seems as Mr. Meek is not alone as to what we see and hear! Im a latino and like I keep saying in California and now it seems even in Florida that what the clintons are saying and doing is not at all about race but about who can win this election in november and who's ideas would best help the nation! I can honestly say there are some of us who see the truth and not blinded by what is told to us from the media or from the radio and I do believe that some not all but some of the civil rights people have also played into it maybe for there own benefit and not for the what is good for the country! I respect you Mr. Meek even if you where not a support Hillary at least you speak truth!

January 28, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  11. E G

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Finally some other then me listens to what is said by Hillary and Bill rather then what the CNN bias media says.After the Iowa race Obama's wife said "no blacks there" so who called attention to his color? I can't believe the back stabbing being done to a woman who has worked so hard for the people in need.- red,yellow,black or white.

January 28, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  12. Mirta

Finally someone who makes sense. What he says is true and needs to be repeated.

He is right...LISTEN to what is being said, not how it is being reported.

January 28, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  13. Rodney Dallas, TX

I am listening to what is being said and by whom. Bill Clinton is running for his third term. Let's end the family dynasties. I am not afraid of the "clinton machine" like the democratic politicians. Quit eating off the Clinton Gravy train. Vote for a change!!!!

FIRED UP!!! READY TO GO!!!!
    OBAMA 08!!!!!!!!!!

January 28, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  14. Enufs Enuf

Quote: "The real issue is the reporting of what the president is actually saying.” Adding, the focus needs to go back to Hillary Clinton’s message.

My thoughts completely. After reading Comment after Comment, I know I am not the only viewer who is disgusted with the way the media is reporting (?) this election. Jon Stewart gets it better than anyone. He shows the actual footage and the news media always paints a totally different slant. Are the Cable News Networks ever going to read what we viewers are saying? Are they so hungry for sensationism that they actually will risk harming the American public? Please just report – don't edit or give us your opinion. It ain't worth much.

January 28, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  15. kathryn

Not to mention the ultimate disrespect for a former First Lady and current Stateswoman and a former President of the USA, I believe everyone should boycott CNN and MSNBC after this is all over and hold those arrogant, biased newscasters accountable for their vile comments and use of the airwaves to persuade public opinions.

January 28, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  16. don

I've watched CNN for years and it is clear that it as an entity is engaged in an intentional undermining of Hilary Clinton as a candidate. At least Fox makes no illusions of balanced reporting. What BS!

January 28, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  17. Dee Williams

Bill does need to back off. It is ok to support someone but he & she acts like he is running.for office & is very sarcastic at times. As for Hillary, she acts more like George Bush at times in how she acts & the things she says. She can't control herself &f they really messed up playing the race card. We do not need them as president. Our country would suffer.

January 28, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  18. NickNas

NUFF SAID!! ALL Credibilty GONE!! Talking up your Boss... didn't we used to call that Brown noseing? C'mon people ....have you EVER heard of the phrase " Consider the source"??

January 28, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  19. N

Well thanks for setting Americans straight.

January 28, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  20. Mitt Romney

Not a chance.

CNN is doing an excellent job. Keep up the good work CNN.

Go obama go !!!!

Romney 08

January 28, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  21. Helen

i am so sick of all the media hype about obama,today i got a break i turned them all off,i will search the internet for my news ,but still hard to get away from obama.

January 28, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  22. CHERYL

TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!TWISTED ALL AROUND IS MORE LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!! BILL IS SPEAKING OUT OF FRUSTRATION AT THE MEDIAS COVERAGE OF HIS WIFE. ARE THERE THAT MANY PEOPLE OUT THERE PREJUDICED AGAINST A WOMAN? WHERE DID THEY COME FROM? A WOMAN!!!! HILLARY IS STRONG AND SHE CAN TAKE IT BUT SHE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO!!!!!!! I PRAY THAT PEOPLE LISTEN AND MAKE DECISIONS BASED ON FACTS AND NOT MEDIA HYPE. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN FOR HILLARY SHE IS VERY INTELLIGENT AND A LEADER. GO HILLARY 2008.

January 28, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  23. angelina_ MN

No matter how they want to cover it, up...........we all personally hear it....
    everyone interprets it as they see it fit, can or are able to do so..how can millions of Americans not listen to what is being said...............

here we go, we Americans must be blind, deaf, and oh yes, also biased by race and gender................

we can not think for ourselves unless the BILLARYS do the thinking for ourselves..

January 28, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  24. gene

CNN is not alone. MSNBC is doing the same. You can't believe a word being said by either of these stations. Their bias is shameless. If its not Cafferty foaming at the mouth, its Chris Matthews, on and on and on with Clinton hatred. You can even feel it in their words. I know they think we are all brain dead and they can spoon feed us their garbage, but most of us know better.

January 28, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  25. george

I agree that CNN is too biased when it comes to reporting Clinton and Obama. It seems that the ad Obama paid to broadcast on CNN really paid off.

Who can tell me which news channel is better and more fair? I will switch to that channel and never come back. I lost my respect for CNN completely.

January 28, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |