January 29th, 2008

Clinton thanks Floridians, promises to get delegates seated

Watch Sen. Hillary Clinton thanks supporters in Florida Tuesday night.

Watch Sen. Hillary Clinton thanks supporters in Florida Tuesday night.

(CNN) – Hillary Clinton held a victory rally in Davie, Florida Tuesday night - even though the Democratic National Committee has stripped Florida of all of its delegates to the nominating convention, and no Democratic presidential candidate campaigned in the state.

“I could not come here to ask in person for your votes, but I am here to thank you for your votes today,” Clinton told her supporters. The New York senator also promised the crowd that she would do everything she could to get Florida’s delegation seated at the Democratic convention.

Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton said Tuesday night that Clinton was “trying to assign meaning to a contest that awards zero delegates” after her recent loss to Obama in South Carolina. “Sen. Obama is disappointed that Florida will have no role in selecting delegates for the Democratic nominee, but looks forward to competing and winning in Florida during the general election,” he said.

–CNN Associate Producer Martina Stewart

Filed under: Florida • Hillary Clinton
  1. Chris

That's it Dems...

After reading your messages and how you treat EACH OTHER I know I better support someone who can win... God I hope Bloomberg or another Indie runs.

This all of y'alls fault...You're driving a wedge in your own party and you a have pretty much driven me and most of my fellow indies away. You are even driving away repubs that would have voted for you. So enjoy your selves in this primary. If your candidate wins, stand up and clap, party, and run naked through the streets....

Fact is, you'll lose in November and the sickest part of it is you'll have done it to your selv es. Freakin political genocide with you people.... You better unite and stop alienating each other before it too late, if it's not too late already.

P.S. Some of you Hill supporters are starting to really sound racist, so be careful how hard you trumpet you candidate.

January 30, 2008 02:14 am at 2:14 am |
  2. joycejewel

I would rather Latinos have some type insurance to protect other innocent citizens who have insurance. Face the facts everybody this is a real problem. There are a lot of immigration issues out there that must be solved! However, why are Latinos voting for Hillary Clinton who is out to hurt them? Hillary has declared not to give Latinos as much as a Identification Card. Everyone is looking at Latino people and wonder what is wrong with them? Do they not understand that Hillary has flip-flopped on issues against them? Why is the Latino leadership leading these people down the wrong road having them back Hillary who is against them? Barack Obama on National TV was the one who backed them!

January 30, 2008 02:17 am at 2:17 am |
  3. Johnny Peace

Clinton you also won in Michigan, why did you travel to Michigan to make a speech after the election?

Or did you just woke up? If you are so concern about the thousands of Floridans who voted as you put it, it means you are not concern about the Michigans, right?

Or you think the electorate are not in touch with what is happening? We know your deceits, your divisiveness, your unwillingness to play by the rules; your desire to change the rules mid way into the game. This has nothing to do with the voters or your desire to seat the delegates, this is the Clintons at their manipulative heights, thinking they can outsmart the Americans once again.

If you wins the party's nomination, know for a fact that you will loose the general election and you would be the one that gave away the whitehouse to the Repubulicans for another four years.

January 30, 2008 02:18 am at 2:18 am |
  4. Eddie

Yay! Hillary won in Florida inspite or all of the hype being raised by the media over Ted Kennedy endorsing Obama. Guess it didn't work in Florida. How interesting too that the Obama campaign now seeks to downplay the results in Florida. Somehow I don't think they would be saying that if they won Florida. Guess the only important primaries are the ones that Obama wins according to them.

January 30, 2008 02:19 am at 2:19 am |
  5. Stephen

If Clinton wins the nomination I will become a republican and vote for Mcain even though i had been a Democrat all my life. It is time for CHANGE, we need a new vision and Obama is the only candidate who can unite the nation.

January 30, 2008 02:23 am at 2:23 am |
  6. Randal, Birmingham, AL

How can you ignore the democratic votes of about 2 million people in Florida??? This is disenfrenchising our fellow citizens. One work – Tragic!!!

January 30, 2008 02:24 am at 2:24 am |
  7. Eddie

If McCain and Clinton are the Presidential candidates, Hillary will win easily. McCain keeps promoting the war in Iraq and has even said that the US troops could remain there for 100 years! Meanwhile something like 75% of Americans are now against the war and want the troops home. Hillary is also the better debater being very prepared with facts and figures and would definitely defeat McCain in any debate. Also McCain has said that he does not know very much about the economy and he is 71 years old and looks it.

January 30, 2008 02:26 am at 2:26 am |
  8. Randal, Birmingham, AL

One word – Tragic!!!

January 30, 2008 02:27 am at 2:27 am |
  9. Derek Steinbeck

here we come again, playing politics by the Obama camp whenever it suits them, but crying foul when the Clinton camap plays politics to defend themselves! It's clear that more than half of all the voters in Florida have voted for Hillary Clinton. An overwhelming triumpf ! The question is , do her votes count, or have these hypocrates forgotten that Al Gore missed out on being our president because a recount was denied. We live in a democracy and if the Democratic Convention comes along the voices of Florida will be heard!
    But as I predicted Obama's luck is over, now Super-Tuesday will show his fans that it's all over, Hillary will win big and nobody can stop her. She is a candidate who will do a superb job when she is president and so she will......

Derek Steinbeck

January 30, 2008 02:28 am at 2:28 am |
  10. ruben ruiz

I see that Mr. Obama is starting to show his TRUE colors, by not reaching out to shake Mrs. Clintons hand and turn his back to her should show what kind of man he is. Please don't give me that BS that (I turned around to speak to someone else) and didn't see her. Well Mr. Kennedy at least you could have told Mr. O to turn around and shake hands with the next President. I will never vote for another Kennedy nor my family.

January 30, 2008 02:31 am at 2:31 am |
  11. ruben ruiz

January 30, 2008 02:31 am at 2:31 am |
  12. David English

What's funny is that Bill Clinton compared Obama to Jessie Jackson after he won NC. Talk about minimizing a win.

January 30, 2008 02:32 am at 2:32 am |
  13. Another Steve

The Democratic party rules are just that. Rules. Why have them if they aren't enforced. Hillary is pandering to Florida and Michigan voters to get the delegates as she still plays the win at all costs. Congrates Hillary for the zero delegate win of what I expect is an aweful lot of retired voters who think your just the greatest.

January 30, 2008 02:37 am at 2:37 am |
  14. Col. Keith Knox, Milwaukee, WI

She said "If she won the nomination" she would get all the delegates seated... not that they'd play any sort of meaningful role in the primary – not some hot-rod fantasy of 1972 convention riot with delegates getting slammed by violence-happy cops

January 30, 2008 02:37 am at 2:37 am |
  15. Jeremy

Did anyone notice how well it played out for Rudi, I think this is exatly why every state and all press is good press. Now all week you will hear about Mcain as the front runner and how many supporters in Florida are for Hillary

January 30, 2008 02:38 am at 2:38 am |
  16. iyke

Desperate that is the word,i don't know what they forgot in the white house that they want to go back and collect,I think we should all rise up against them or it will be to late,America is a democracy and not a dynasty like most of the Arab world,no more clinton's again we have people better that can rule and bring smile to our faces once more.The clinton's should take a break now and maybe come back later.

January 30, 2008 02:41 am at 2:41 am |
  17. Tony

Because the United States of America gives me the right to vote. When I cast that vote it should be counted. “WHY” am I being punished by the state of Florida by not giving my canidate that I voted for and that won the Florida primary the delegates that they should have received? This is wrong and I want answers.

January 30, 2008 02:42 am at 2:42 am |
  18. michelle in Des Moines

I just wish people would look at what she is doing. If you were playing a game of basketball with some one and you he threw a couple of practice balls for warm up, while you tied your shoes. then at the end of the game counted those balls. would you ever play with him again.

Billary brings out the worst in people, Obama brings out the best. My father had to eat a hat the other day. He had always said that the day he agreed with Ted Kennedy on anything he would eat his hat. After Ted's speach he got it out and started chewing.

Democrats can't win without the Independent and cross over votes, Hillary can't get them. Obama can and so can McCain. Think to me either is acceptable, I would never vote for Billary.

January 30, 2008 02:49 am at 2:49 am |
  19. observer

Wow, Hillary got 300,000 votes more than Obama, and she got 156,000 more than McCain. Who says she can't beat McCain? She did that without campaigning there and McCain did campaign in Fla. Obama's supporters don't pay alot of attention to politics or they would know Hillary, Obama, or Edwards did not campaign in Fla. They all, everyone of them held fundraisers there. Wake up and listen if you are going to pretend to know what is going on.

January 30, 2008 02:49 am at 2:49 am |
  20. Marty Pacino

Anyone who thinks that 1.2 million voters should be disenfranchised is a moron.

January 30, 2008 02:50 am at 2:50 am |
  21. Anthony

the panel tonight is wrong about Hillary's win not mattering. Lou Dobb's was the only one close to being right. It doesnt matter if the Democrats could not actively participate, democratic voters in both Michigan and Florida are interested and have watched these campaigns on a national scale from day to day from Iowa to Florida. A large percentage of these voters have already made up their minds for their vote, so when they still went to the polls to cast a Democratic vote in these 2 states, they were exercising their choice. Just because they didn't watch these candidates make appearances in their respective states, doesnt mean they have been turned out and uneducated about their favorite candidate. I live in Texas where there hasn't been much activity, but most people have already made up their minds, whether Republican or Democrat. If Hillary won the majority of the votes for Democrats, then she has a legitimate right to say she won in Florida and Michigan. Those states do count in the general election.

January 30, 2008 02:52 am at 2:52 am |
  22. sandra longley

my my my , what a group of sore losers and cry babys, and to think there was a time when i considered supporting Mr. Obama. If thease comments are coming from his largest group of supporters, the young, i guess i can understand. HOWEVER you might want to reread your posting and give some serious thought to abandoning the democratic party immediately, you don't belong here if you are so childish as to give your vote to a republican party intent on destroying our country. Someone needs a timeout......

January 30, 2008 02:53 am at 2:53 am |
  23. Prayu

Love that Hillary supporter holding the sign upside down.

January 30, 2008 02:53 am at 2:53 am |
  24. Jamie

As a young Democrat, I am appalled at HRC tactics. I too believe she will not win against McCain in the run for the White House if she were to win the nomination. Obama has inspired me and I truly believe he has inspired the nation. If she does get the nomination, I am going to have to think long and hard about crossing to the other side...which I so badly do not want to do. As a woman, it is sad to me that the one candidate we have had in this race will not be getting my vote. For me, Obama is the only man for the job. Without him, McCain is looking like an alternate option. Truth be told on Febuary 5th. Obama 08!

January 30, 2008 02:54 am at 2:54 am |
  25. Wayne Messer Orange Park, FL

First off,

I do not care about an inane rule that says when you can vote. Why should I as a voter be penalized for something I cannot control? Whatever pinhead decided to move the primary up is irrelevant.

I voted and I want it to count. I get tired of hearing how any state is the deciding factor without letting I believe all fifty states have a say.

I have never regarded Iowa or any state that votes before me more anymore significant than the rest of the United States.

DNC get a clue. I resent that any party feels they can control the outcome of a democratic society because someone voted before it was deemed their time.

How inane is that. Remember 2000!!!!!! And how by letting Supreme Court justices pick (as illegal and unconstitutional as it gets) we get a war criminal that has alienated us from the rest of the world by starting a preemptive strike on a solvent government regardless of your opinions of them and, yes by the way still had nothing to do with 9/11.

It is time the voters are allowed to decide. I resent super delegates since all I see is that these elections have come down to just parties deciding the outcome or another branch of a government that was established for checks and balances not deciding the fate of our nation by stacking the deck in favor of one party over the next.

Anyone that allows a state to be excluded should be dissolved and reconstructed to go back to what is supposed to happen. We the people decide not a party whose self-interest is to control us.

January 30, 2008 02:57 am at 2:57 am |