January 29th, 2008

Clinton thanks Floridians, promises to get delegates seated

Watch Sen. Hillary Clinton thanks supporters in Florida Tuesday night.

Watch Sen. Hillary Clinton thanks supporters in Florida Tuesday night.

(CNN) – Hillary Clinton held a victory rally in Davie, Florida Tuesday night - even though the Democratic National Committee has stripped Florida of all of its delegates to the nominating convention, and no Democratic presidential candidate campaigned in the state.

“I could not come here to ask in person for your votes, but I am here to thank you for your votes today,” Clinton told her supporters. The New York senator also promised the crowd that she would do everything she could to get Florida’s delegation seated at the Democratic convention.

Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton said Tuesday night that Clinton was “trying to assign meaning to a contest that awards zero delegates” after her recent loss to Obama in South Carolina. “Sen. Obama is disappointed that Florida will have no role in selecting delegates for the Democratic nominee, but looks forward to competing and winning in Florida during the general election,” he said.

–CNN Associate Producer Martina Stewart

Filed under: Florida • Hillary Clinton
  1. CB

Florida is populated by semi-retarded and senile people. Their votes generally should not count, considering their electoral mismanagement, sloth and general stupidity in 2000 caused the last 7 years of misery for our country.

... although I am glad Hillary won the state.

Maybe their votes should count a little. Maybe each Floridiot should get 3/5ths of a vote... or maybe they should have to take a literacy test before they vote. That seems fair.

January 30, 2008 02:59 am at 2:59 am |
  2. Ryan in Phoenix

If the state had delegates would it be a "meaningful victory?!" Since when do delegates matter? its what the people want that matters not some stupid thing like delegates.. To say that this didn't matter in the least because of the fact there were no delegates at stake shows me just what obama and his supporters are about.. not much. If obama had won.. would you be claiming victory?! yes... yes you would. So dont be hypocrites about this and give credit where it's due. To Hillary for winning Florida and for the people of Florida for voting.

So Obama people say they want change... what kinda change? Do you even know? Are you so swept up by a slogan and so mindless? Lol i pitty you people who are so lured by someones charisma that you cant see what really matters is not how good of an orator someone is.. or how much charisma they have.. and the fact that hes a "man and can do it better". Women you really need to rally around Hillary... and make history and get the first woman into the White House.

You people have a complete double standard of Hillary.. would you expect Romney or McCain or Obama to show their "soft femenine side"? yet you expect it of her... this is politics not Miss America.. This person is going to lead THE FREE WORLD not a student counsel.

January 30, 2008 03:04 am at 3:04 am |
  3. Patty, somewhere

To Hirokan who wrote:
    I, however, still think the best thing for America is a nomination for Obama. HRC is just another politician. Obama is an American.

Excuse me for taking offence to your comment, but that is ridiculous. Just remember your candidate is promising the identical mantra George Bush did 8 years ago. Because he is being compraed to MLK and JFK sdoesn't mean there is much behind his lofty speeches. Sorry, but my opinion of being a President doesn't include someone who thinks after just being elected to the Senate decides he is ready to take over, or whose wife says that there will be no more tries at the presidency if he fails this one. If he is "American" as you say, and the second MLK, I don't remember MLK giving up after he failed once or any other American giving up. Please, have your dream, but I will stick to experience and someone who has proven she can get the job done right from the beginning of her career years and years ago. The USoesn't need nother 8 years of believing in Bush's promises of change, bipartisanship and working across the aisle.

January 30, 2008 03:04 am at 3:04 am |
  4. Peter (NY)

McCain wins, Obama is the last person to represent Democract. He will never win! Get real, Obamanites! Obama lacks resume and is campaigning based on popular themes and marketing gimmicks. Get real peeps! Not too late to nominate proper Democractic nominee.

January 30, 2008 03:06 am at 3:06 am |
  5. GB

I don't blame people from Michigan and Florida for being mad that their votes don't count. They should blame their state party for moving the primary. The candidates agreed not to campaign in those states and that the vote there should not count. This is a perfect example of how desperate Hillary Clinton is to win. She would sell her own mother down the river if she thought it would get her elected. Just like her supporting the war. She doesn't do what's right.. she does what's POPULAR at the time. I can't believe that people don't see through this. Do we really want to continue to have a divided country??? Obama will bring people together. Nominating Hillary Clinton will revive and unite the Republican Party.. not to mention all the independents and Democrats (like myself) who will not vote for her. I'd vote fore McCain before I'd vote for Hillary because, even though i disagree with him on some issues, he will do what he believes is right and best for the country.

Republicans know that nominating Hillary will be the best thing to happen to them.. why can't Democrats figure that out????

January 30, 2008 03:12 am at 3:12 am |
  6. Jackie

Hillary, we are with you! jackie.

January 30, 2008 03:12 am at 3:12 am |
  7. Philip

Hillary is thinking of the voters NOT the delegates.

Yes the DNC cut off its nose to spite its face.

And all you Puppetmaster (Ted) and puppet (Barack) lovers, don't be in such a snit. If you had confidence in your two candidates, you wouldn't be whining so much.

Oh I forgot, you're following your leaders, whine when things don't go your way.

Question: Do puppets cry real tears?

–p

January 30, 2008 03:17 am at 3:17 am |
  8. GB

Jay,

No one is saying those votes don't matter. The facts are that Hillary doesn't want to play within the rules. The candidates agreed not to campaign there are knew the votes would not count. Obama and Edwards supporters knew their votes wouldn't count, so how can you say the vote is accurate at all? All the other candidates respected the rules but Hillary. This is just like the voting issue in Nevada. She was fine with it when she thought it favored her. WHen it didn't she opposed it. She is grasping at straws to find something positive from the beat down in South Caroline and endorsements of people like Caroline and Ted Kennedy, etc. etc.

January 30, 2008 03:19 am at 3:19 am |
  9. Brian Metzger

Hillary won based solely on name recognition. All of the states where the public has actually had a chance to know the candidates have gone to Obama. Hillary is about 'us vs. them', Obama is about bringing together our country, something we need desperately after 2 divisive Bush terms. I hope the country gets a chance to know Obama because I am confident they will recognize that he is better for America, as well as a more electable candidate. Hillary is the Democratic parties insider choice – Obama is what American needs as a whole.

January 30, 2008 03:23 am at 3:23 am |
  10. Mike R

Everyone should read Tom's points. I think he has a very good perspective and advice although a curious place to leave it. There are a good many other and better blogs where his comments would receive their due.

I can feel the tide turning, and I think that Tom and others like him will be redeemed and will be able to hold their heads up after this election, even if they can't vote for the half-white and half-black man. It's curious to me. If he is half and half, why can't he be called a white man as well as a black man. Does he have to choose one over the other, does he have to accept our choice for him?

I can only relate a little bit as I remember the hurt inflicted on me as a child. I live in a sunny locale, and I tan quite easily. My skin is almost always brown although I'm 100% caucasian. I was derided and abused emotionally as only school children can for the color of my skin. ONe day I was a Mexican, the next a black person or a product of my mother's infidelilty with either a mexican or black person. Imagine. How does a 7 year old deal with that.

No matter how ridiculous it was, it still hurt. From this perspective I can only begin to imagine how Barack Obama must feel after the comments that Hill Bill have made. I give him tremendous credit for at least publicly blowing the whole chapter off. We all must move on.

Alexa, you are a genius. The same thought struck me tonight when I saw Hillary, who had made such great effort to go to Florida to congratulate her campaign workers, taking in all the glitz and glory of this "victory", televised of course.

Hillary was on the first plane out of town in South Carolina, without any fanfare or a word of thanks to her campaigners there. I wonder how her SC staff feels now. Probably Used, Abused and very confused. They thought this was the candidate that felt so much for us. It turns out that is only cynical politics for her, she is cold-hearted and calculating. I almost feel sorry for Bill now but I know what he is too.
    I think we all do, unless we missed 1998-2000.

Yes, I have to agree with the poster that noted that Floridians are getting hoodwinked. This is all about power and greed for her and Bill, there is no other explanation.

The Republicans can win easily against Hillary if McCain wins, most likely. I think many Democrats will have that figured out by next Tuesday. So, let's let Hillary
    enjoy her "victory", she may have a very bad Wednesday next week. And, America a very good one.

January 30, 2008 03:26 am at 3:26 am |
  11. blindman

Jay, I am a Obama supporter and believe that if he had won Fl. he would not have tried to change the decision of the DNC. I am also glad that Clinton won in Fl. it makes for a better race for the nomination. I always seem to see so much hate in these entries and come to the conclusion that most of the comment are not coming from christian people. For if I am not mistaken the christian belief is one of love and tolerance and not hate. So like I have been told since I was a child, if you can't say something nice about the situation don't say anything at all.

January 30, 2008 03:31 am at 3:31 am |
  12. Pam

I think the BIG Billary upset wil come when/if she makes it to November and beats out Obama.

Watch the numbers of (D) voters cut in half AT LEAST!!

I'm for Obama but like so many others out there, if it comes down to Billary and McKain, I'll go (R)

Clintons.....no morals, no integrity, and no respect for the White House!!

January 30, 2008 03:33 am at 3:33 am |
  13. vicky

Hillary magically won Michigan in the same way that Chairman Mao won in Communist China , by being the only name on the ballot. Hillary shamelessly declared victory in Michigan and used this to build momentum, she is doing the same thing again in Florida.

The words of Chairman Mao should be the tag line of the Clinton Campaign. "A lie told a thousand times becomes the truth."

The would-be Empress and her husband have no clothes.

January 30, 2008 03:35 am at 3:35 am |
  14. Doreen IA

Hillary, is for Hillary. Tell me this, why is it that she left SC when she had 27% of the votes that counted and she couldn't give a thank you speech to the South Carolinians, but she runs off to Nashville- and then go to Florida, to gain a victory speech that doesn't count, what's up with this picture you guys, give me a break!

OBAMA 08

January 30, 2008 03:38 am at 3:38 am |
  15. creswell

if mccain wins the republican nomination, it is over b/c he will get the independent vote which was not allowed to vote today in FL. thus, this is an important win for him b/c he proved that he can win among republicans only. also, a theme is emerging on some of the black logs that a growing percentage will vote for him as well. he is a proven leader and he tells the truth. if the republicans get 20% of the black conservative vote which they do each election, mccain can get another 5-15% of the black vote, the conservative latino vote, traditional conservative voters and the southern moderate white vote, billary is toast. the black vote is a loyal base in the dem party but it seems that the post civil rights generation is sick of the race-baiting and is beginning to look at alternative candidates. Again, billary is toast. she is a divider and just examine her record. when are people going to investigate the records of the candidates? i am sick of reading sites that cannot provide any evidence (i.e., policy) regarding why his/her candidate. u cannot win an election w/o carrying at least one southern state-remember 2000 and 2004. the dems are in trouble. who will be her running mate? there are at least two southern govs. that are democrats(males) and if she does pick one of them, it does not mean he can carry his state. in north carolina, they vote a split ticket all the time (i.e., gov. dem. and vote rep. in the national election). her tactics are dividing the party (trying to count FL & MI, Bill, plus the snub). they are really missing the big picture. they will not have the numbers to win. amazing!

January 30, 2008 03:38 am at 3:38 am |
  16. vicky

Democracy is not Dynasty
    Wake up America! This is a fact:
    George H. Bush -Vice President: 1981-1989
    George H. Bush – President: 1989 – 1993
    William J. Clinton – President: 1993 – 2001
    George W. Bush – President: 2001-2009
    Hillary R. Clinton – ?President: 2009 – 2017
    *32 years of the same two families holding the executive office of the United States of America.
    *28 years of the same two families serving as President of the United States of America.
    *This is undemocratic and circumventing our constitution's term limits.
    *End the dynasty now. Vote in your primary or caucus to restore democracy!

January 30, 2008 03:40 am at 3:40 am |
  17. Andrew

Young Liberal, you clearly don't understand what is at stake in an election. An election is not about your feelings for a person. It is about issues like health care, jobs, Iraq, education, civil liberties, gender and racial equality. Whoever the Democratic nominee is Democrats should support. The reason we have parties is so that the people of that party can hold their nominees accountable to carry out an agenda on their behalf. It is ultimately the agenda, not the politicians, that matter.

It is fine to disagree about who is the best person to carry out that agenda, but once a nominee is decided on you should vote the party not the person. To vote out of spite would be to turn your back on the progressive agenda you presumably hold. If you don't believe strongly enough in that agenda to vote the party, you ought to question your support for Obama in the first place. In the end, he would have to carry out the party platform pretty much the same way Hillary would have to. Otherwise, he would quickly lose the support of his party, and he would lose his power, become ineffective and wouldn't be reelected.

January 30, 2008 03:51 am at 3:51 am |