January 29th, 2008

Clinton thanks Floridians, promises to get delegates seated

Watch Sen. Hillary Clinton thanks supporters in Florida Tuesday night.

Watch Sen. Hillary Clinton thanks supporters in Florida Tuesday night.

(CNN) – Hillary Clinton held a victory rally in Davie, Florida Tuesday night - even though the Democratic National Committee has stripped Florida of all of its delegates to the nominating convention, and no Democratic presidential candidate campaigned in the state.

“I could not come here to ask in person for your votes, but I am here to thank you for your votes today,” Clinton told her supporters. The New York senator also promised the crowd that she would do everything she could to get Florida’s delegation seated at the Democratic convention.

Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton said Tuesday night that Clinton was “trying to assign meaning to a contest that awards zero delegates” after her recent loss to Obama in South Carolina. “Sen. Obama is disappointed that Florida will have no role in selecting delegates for the Democratic nominee, but looks forward to competing and winning in Florida during the general election,” he said.

–CNN Associate Producer Martina Stewart

Filed under: Florida • Hillary Clinton
  1. Christian, Tampa FL

I see controversy brewing at the convention... Way to go, Florida, again!

January 30, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  2. AtlantaVoter

________snip____________

Frank, San Diego January 29, 2008 11:05 pm ET

I hope that those in the Obama campaign will join Senator Clinton's effort to seat the delegates eventually chosen in Florida. No democrat should celebrate, or seek to profit from, the disenfranchisement of any voter.

Nor should any Democrat ever brag about having received more delegates while losing the popular vote. Those self-serving attitudes are core values in the Republican Party, but not ours

________snip____________

What Frank in San Diego said 🙂

Also - the DNC's control of the primaries is archaic and needs to go. Iowa and New Hampshire need to get over themselves and the rest of need to put the brakes on the bandwagon effect and think for ourselves. In fact, why not just throw out the delegates and honor the popular vote. After all, aren't we "the people", as in of, by and for?

Hillary Clinton 2008

Election Reform Now!

January 30, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  3. stacy

Say what you will but there were 900,000 people that took the effort to get out their front doors, get in their cars and go vote for Hillary, this certainly shows the dedication to her and the belief that she can "make the change" we all need.
    Delegates or not in Florida, that is a huge number of followers.

January 30, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  4. pd

Hillary supporters keep posting, keep blogging, keep emailing the networks. Let's make them start to be remotely fair to Hillary!! There are obviously many of us out there that have not been hear enough because all the pundits want to crown Obama the Democratic leader. How do we know this, to describe 1.5 million Florida Democratic votes as meaningless is crazy and everyone knows it! Keep posting, blogging, emailing, phoning, whatever we have to do to get our message out! I for one would like to have a Democrat in the Whitehouse in 2009 and there is no way Obama is going to be able to do it. All the polls that show him up are hype!! If everyone thinks the "Clinton Machine" is tough, you haven't seen nothing yet, until the Republicans get going. They have done it for years against the Clintons; and yes, they have the scars to show it, but they have managed to keep winning!! Hillary 08

January 30, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  5. Andy

the votes in florida should have a meaning. THEY ARE VOTES DONE BY THE AMERICAN PEOPLE to ignore those would be to abolish the democracy this land was founded on.

January 30, 2008 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  6. A voter

Another pointless win, with no delegates, against no competition. Good job senator Clinton. Another story well spun.

January 30, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  7. Taylor

I'm an Edwards supporter, but I think people are making Hillary's win seem like less than it is. Yes, a lot of her votes were absentee ballots, but they also said that many of the last minute deciders voted for Clinton. If Obama had received this much of the vote, his supporters would be shouting it from the rooftops, as would I if it had been Edwards. Regardless of who won, I think it's only fair that the delegates from Florida and Michigan be counted. Why should these votes not count?

January 30, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  8. Joss

I live in Florida and am disappointed that our democratic delgates wont be counted at the national convention. However, apparently Florida did break the rules and as such needs to deal with the consequences.

What people should be looking at as really unfair is the absentee ballots and early voting in Florida. Approx 1 million people voted in absentee voting before yesterday – over 400,000 voted democratic according to the news which didnt release if they were for Obama, Clinton or Edwards. In any event it is my understand that all those million votes arent even counted unless there is a tie. Which makes no sense to me because let's say for arguments sake that all of them were for Obama.. he would have won.. or that all were for Edwards, he would have placed second.

To me as a Florida voter that is by far a much larger issue.

January 30, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  9. Chris

I am voting for Obama if he wins.

If the Clintons win I am voting for McCain.

I am tired of political deception with a big smile...

January 30, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  10. tess

watch obama run back to big mama oprah to give him a boost. would any of you obamians bet against that? he got the media, big name endorsements, etc. guess what ? hillary will win-like she did in new york. --obama is so saintly maybe he should run for pope instead.

January 30, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  11. Caroline

The Clinton campaign basically held a faux victory party that, it hoped, would erase memories of Obama's actual victory Saturday night in South Carolina's Democratic primary. What a political stunt. Who are they kidding?

January 30, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  12. Patrick

The democratic party (I am a democrat), I used to be an independent but switched when Bill ran for President, but if the party doesn't seat these delegates in Michigan and Florida, I will vote Republican – just to spite the party that bites the hand that feeds it. What is the matter with the DNC? They are looking about as efficient as Congress! I am a Hillary supporter not an Obama supporter; however that being said, if Obama wins the nomination, I'll vote Dem., unless the delegates from Florida and Michigan are not seated at the convention in Denver, then I'll vote McCain – sorry but I think many independent/democrates will do the same, if not for that reason, maybe for the fact that Obama really hasn't been on the world stage long enough to be effective. But what do I know, I just have one vote.

January 30, 2008 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  13. Betty, Florida

I'm an American. I'm a registered voter. I voted in Florida's primary. How dare you tell me my vote doesn't matter! If it doesn't, then give me back my taxes!

January 30, 2008 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  14. D-MT

At least Hillary appears to care about the states and people in them and not just the delegates she can rack up. Obama is really starting to show his colors and I don't like what I see. He seems really arrogant and aloof to fellow running mates and to individual states that "don't matter" if they can't give him delegates. It's just sad, he would be another person in the big Whitehouse treating the people like we don't matter. He speaks well, but at the end of the day what he says are just words. Actions speak much louder than words, and actions in an election should be watched very closely on someone who has such a short rack record in our government.

January 30, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  15. Doris

California Lady. Are you using honest and Obama in the same sentence. Give us all a break. The guy is a liar. We all seen it. He is arrogant. He isn't humble. He is fake. The more he is on TV the more laughable he gets. By the way does he have an image consultant? I don't think so. Florida has spoken. By the way can someone please do a survey to see if Edward Kennedys endorsement of Obama will influence anyone. Nope. Kennedy may be a good salesperson but you gotta have the right product. Clinton 08

January 30, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  16. Democratic Florida Voter

Your negative voices are so LOUD. Florida voted for Hillary Clinton. Accept it. This is America. Vote for who you want to vote for but it is presumptuous to tell me why I voted. It is simple.
    I voted for Hillary Clinton because I want her to be the President of the United States as do approximately 50% of the Democrats in Florida. That means that she won. (I also have the unmitigated gall to like Obama but I voted for Hillary.) I knew exactly what the Democratic Committee had decreed regarding delegates and came out and voted anyway.
    Your blind (and vicious) negativity only makes me work harder for her. I use the outrageous comments to motive others on her behalf. Today I'll ask a few friends to read these comments. I am certain that thanks to your comments, I will convert another two or three to my cause.

Thank you, please keep it going. America loves an underdog under attack. I for one, really appreciate your efforts. I certain that I can count on you.

January 30, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  17. Jersey_Blues

I love how the Clinton supporters cant answer the question.

What expereince does she have? She was a first lady so what? She was not allowed to sit in security mettings and failed the health care system back then she will do it now.

She is also a dirty lieing POS. She said as well as the other democratic canadtes that they would not campagin in FL, Well guess what Hillary did that.

This women will and should be eaten up by John McCain.

I am a dmocract and if she wins I am going with Mack.

January 30, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  18. Citizen

All Obama Lovers,

Hillary is next president and a good one!!!

January 30, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  19. Nadira, Toronto

All the OBAMAbillies are out to do a number on Hillary!, well she is tough
    and can handle it unlike your cry baby candidate OBAMA.
    Hillary went to Florida to thank over a million voter who took the time away from their work to vote for her.

January 30, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  20. Bukky

"I have to chime in here with the lot who point out that she agreed not to campaign in this state. Now that she won the competition because there was none, she wants to have the delegates seated so we can hand the election to her. Talk about doing anything to win an election." <- I concur...

Florida did not matter to her in the least UNTIL she lost so badly in South Carolina.

Obama did not campaign in FL because EVERY DEMOCRAT including Hillary agreed not to. She went back on her agreement because she is thus far loosing.

January 30, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  21. NObama

I never new that my vote only mattered if the candidate campaigned in my state! I understand that the delegates are an issue but don’t think that Obama should send his flying monkey (John Kerry) to belittle me for voting. It’s just another example of the growing list of Obama blunders/snubs/lies. By the way Obama staffers, look at the number of voters in Florida vs South Carolina and I think you will see that Americans are really speaking out in the Florida results and it scares you.

January 30, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  22. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I don't understand why anyone would be surprised about what Hillary plans to do, and that is to split the democratic party. She will accomplish this and the republicans will win the White House.

January 30, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  23. NObama

Of course the media will downplay this. Bottom line, Florida is much more representative of the US than South Carolina. When Obama won S. Carolina, they would have made you think he had won the moon. Hillary wins Florida (a much more critical state) and everyone is jumping to downplay it. Sure, there are no delegates, but this election is about PEOPLE, not the “score” (as Obama put it tonight). The Obama camp has been spinning this hard, but the press won’t admit it. Instead, they can’t stop talking about Clinton spinning this???? Are you kidding me?? This coverage makes me sick to my stomach. The reporters are so out of touch.

January 30, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  24. BaselinePunk

Seat FL and people up here in MI will get down right upset. Nice to see that Hillary cares more about seating FL delegates, than MI.

Why should I be surprised that our Democratic party leaders, Debbie Dingle and Mark Brewer, were the "masterminds" behind jumping our primary ahead and are huge Rodham-Clinton supporters? Why should I be surprised that our governor, Jenny Granholm, is "just so excited to get the first women into the White House" and is a huge Rodham-Clinton supporter (btw - did I mention that there was a story in the Detroit Free Press just yesterday on how Jenny could go Federal if Rodham-Clinton gets elected?).

Dean must uphold the punishment on both states for breaking the rules. The fact is that if all of the Democrats were actively running in both states, the outcome could have been very different. The "uncommitted" vote here in Michigan was 40%; that's a fair amount of votes that could have counted for other candidates. Now that those votes are uncommitted, they very well could go to Hillary if the MI delegation is seated. My, figure that. People who voted "uncommitted" because they didn't want to vote for Hillary, could actually in the end, have those "uncommitted" delegates be counted as Rodham-Clinton delegates. In addition, if people could have voted for who they really wanted to, Hillary might not have gotten the vote total she did. Good job, Dingle, Brewer and Granholm - you serve you master well.

If Dean agrees to seating either or both MI, or FL, I will be voting third party. Rules are rules which should not be switched in the middle of a game, let alone in an election. As exampled above, too many variables are in play. Also, Hillary forgets to tell FL Democrat voters that she agreed to BOYCOTT them, only to try and play advocate when the situation would benefit her. Real nice.

This country is in some serious trouble if Rodham-Clinton gets in the White House.

January 30, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  25. Pen

Please restrict Jonathan in Chicago from blogging. If I wanted to read a book, I would buy one. Seriosly that was the longest and dumbest blog I've read in a long time.

January 30, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |