January 29th, 2008

Clinton thanks Floridians, promises to get delegates seated

Watch Sen. Hillary Clinton thanks supporters in Florida Tuesday night.

Watch Sen. Hillary Clinton thanks supporters in Florida Tuesday night.

(CNN) – Hillary Clinton held a victory rally in Davie, Florida Tuesday night - even though the Democratic National Committee has stripped Florida of all of its delegates to the nominating convention, and no Democratic presidential candidate campaigned in the state.

“I could not come here to ask in person for your votes, but I am here to thank you for your votes today,” Clinton told her supporters. The New York senator also promised the crowd that she would do everything she could to get Florida’s delegation seated at the Democratic convention.

Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton said Tuesday night that Clinton was “trying to assign meaning to a contest that awards zero delegates” after her recent loss to Obama in South Carolina. “Sen. Obama is disappointed that Florida will have no role in selecting delegates for the Democratic nominee, but looks forward to competing and winning in Florida during the general election,” he said.

–CNN Associate Producer Martina Stewart

Filed under: Florida • Hillary Clinton
  1. S.

Only a complete dummy would think that Florida matters. This is just Clinton spin and underhanded tactics.

January 29, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  2. IA. Democrat

'Clinton thanks Floridians, promises to get delegates seated'

This will never happen.

January 29, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  3. Benjamin

Obama supporters should look up the rules before saying Hillary didn't follow them. She broke nothing.

She also said she get the Florida delegates seated IF she was the nominee. Not she will get the seated period. Nice cherrypicking there CNN!!

Obama supporters are only happy their aren't any delegates at this point, and it's sick to throw that in the face of the 1.8 million voters in Florida. According to the foundations of America, their votes SHOULD count.

January 29, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  4. Murry

What Hillary is doing shows everyone how underhanded she is.
    Why didn't she speak up sooner instead of at the last minute?
    And, why is she trying to change the rules after the contest is over?
    Now she's trying to turn Floridians against the DNC?
    I hope that more Democratic party leaders take a good look at her despicable behavior and decide to support Obama. I'm willing to bet that no one wants to work for someone with such low morals.

I'm a woman and I'm for Barack Obama!
    Obama 08!

January 29, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  5. david

She can have my vote,I promise,if she can explain why her and Billy thought it nescasary t take things from the Whitehouse that did'nt belong to them.OH PLEASE OH PLEASE QUIT!!!

January 29, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  6. Alexa

Hillary has struck... Fools Gold. After Florida maybe she'll get a chance to fly back to South Carolina and finally thank the supporters there who worked on her campaign.

January 29, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  7. Amy in Iowa

Florida has become a spin race for Hillary. The Clintons have gotten desperate. Hillary is even saying that Obama snubbed her. How sad. Hillary why did you snub the voters in South Carolina???

January 29, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  8. befmed

For all the negative press Hillary has gotten leading up to the Florida Democratic non-primary, it is worth noting that she got more votes than any other candidate in either party.

January 29, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  9. Amy R.

I feel nauseous. Hillary has the audacity to publically state that Obama snubbed her. As a female, I have lost all respect for Hillary at her latest underhanded tactic. She is back to playing the victim again. Get out the tissues.

January 29, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  10. Tomg

I think all the delegates in each state should be allowed to go to the convention and vote the way their respective states VOTERS want. This is going to be another year of Florida not being able to get anything right and another botched election... THE People of the US should be heard. wether or not the DNC decided they were not going to count them. Who decided that the votes don't count. Shouldn't that be left for the people to vote and for the other senators and news organizations to stay in the back ground worry about the economy and us highlights and let the presidential canidates have to work like they did back in old days when every vote did count. Not only the votes that are chose.

January 29, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  11. lara

you are avoiding the fact that obama is NOT getting the white vote
    he is also NOT getting the hispanic vote

deal with it

January 29, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  12. Ben

Go Hillary Go!

January 29, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  13. Chuck, Miami Fl

Concerned Voter
    I agree 100%.

January 29, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  14. Grace, Overland Park, Kansas

"she is going to end up winning over 1,000,000 votes and will end the evening with more votes than the Republican winner John McCain. She did all that without even campaigning."

um, i'm sorry but the last time i checked Floridians have access to tv and internet. surely they heard the fuss she was making over seating their delegates. that type of pandering works well with plenty of voters, especially if those voters perfectly fit her demographic appeal – i.e. over 65 and hispanic. also, in case you don't remember the name "clinton" is a pretty familiar one (especially for the older people) and obama might have been too much of a change for the majority of them.

this win isn't that significant. she went in with a big lead, she comes out with a big lead. however, in SC she went in with a big lead (more than 20%) and came out with a big defeat. that represented a more than 40% turnaround. that's huge. the numbers in iowa, NH and nevada were similar (obama had gained some momentum in NH, but the her emotional moment did wonders for her). so basically what i'm saying is that when obama campaigns, things happen. as people become more familiar with him, they realize that this is the change they need and they don't have to fall back into the past just because it is more familiar.

January 29, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  15. Nik

Hillary is a fine candidate, but no way in hell can she win a general election against McCain. NO REPUBLICANS AND FEW INDEPENDENTS WILL VOTE FOR HILLARY. Obama is the only democrat that has a chance in a general election and exit poles say he has a very good chance at that. I do not support the surge. I do not want 4-8 more years in a war that cannot be won. I don't want more republicans on the supreme court.

For the good of the country please, please, please vote for Obama.

January 29, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  16. Dolce

I am not sure if everyone forgot but Hilary was campaigning in Florida last week, before voting in S.C. She is paying dirty, very dirty. Actually her behaving reminds me on Bush' against McCain.
    I am Obama supporter but I wouldn't mind Edward's either. I am very against Hilary and if she would be the presidential candidate I would give my vote to Republicans for sure. I do not see worse politics then hers actually.

January 29, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  17. R K Portland OR

I just heard Wolf Blitzer say on CNN that Hillary has declared herself the victor in the FL Dem primaries. I dont think it is just Hillary... It has been CNN that CNN has been using the "victory" word and thus help propagate the underhanded, desperate tactics of the Clinton campaign.

Some othe rcable channels didnt declare her a victor and just stuck to the facts that she won the most votes , but the fact remains that there are no delegates at stake here even though she is desperately trying to spin this into a momentum gathering event..

January 29, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  18. David S., Chicago, IL

Go ahead Hillary and steal the election, you'll see this long-time Democrat vote for Mickey Mouse!

Now John Edwards I would vote for as my second pick. But, the best leader and our best candidate is Barack...he has his ideas and they ARE substantive – open your eyes – he is inspiring and will bring new leadership to the Country – I WAS IN SOUTH CAROLINA – I met many people in the campaign – this movement is for real!

Let the best candidate win...

For me, it's Obama in '08

January 29, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  19. Amy R.

No delegates Hillary. And no dice. Why try to break the rules? This is proof that you can't keep your word. Stop the lies Hillary.

January 29, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  20. dawn -- Gaithersburg, MD.

Her leading rivals, South Carolina primary winner Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. John Edwards, did not campaign in Florida. They opted to concentrate on next week's "Super Tuesday" contests in states such as New York, California, Missouri and Georgia.

How misleading: as you acknowledge above, Sen. Clinton didn't campaign in Florida any more than her rivals did. (Fundraising was explicitly allowed in the campaigning ban.) And she didn't "trumpet," her win as the story on the main page declares; she graciously thanked the people of Florida for their vote of confidence.

January 29, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  21. Matt

Obama came out after the results and said that Floridians had "no idea" what the candidates were about since they didn't campaign there.

How insulting.

This insinuates that those in Florida don't read the paper, don't watch the debates, and don't watch news reports.

Shame on you, Obama, for labeling Floridians as completely uneducated.

January 29, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  22. observer

Congratulations Hillary. 900,000 people inFla. approve of you. And the people of Fla count to true Americans. Wow, you routed Obama by about 300,000 votes. Huge!

January 29, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  23. David

I think some people don't understand these "florida" ads Barack was showing. They were national ads, put into national TV airtime, which is not decided by each local station. So, yes, they did appear in FL, but only because that's part of our nation.

January 29, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  24. Nick, Austin TX

Concerned Voter- of course she got all those votes when nobody campaigned. Do you remember how far she was ahead in every state before this thing started? She was ahead by a huge margin in Iowa and both Obama and Edwards closed the gap and beat her. She started out ahead in every state because she is the highly well known Senator and wife of a President who everyone knew was going to eventually run as soon as she took her senate seat. I'm for Edwards as well but I don't see how she deserves any credit for this since she was the presumptive nominee to begin with.

January 29, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  25. Tyran

Concerned Voter, I disagree. If Obama had won Florida, I would still think it is a non-issue because no one from the Democratic party campaigned there. I might have gotten a chuckle out of it all since Hillary had already planned to fly there and give an acceptance speech. But beyond that, I do not think it would have matter at all because he would still walk away with the same amount of delegates he walked into the night with.

I happen to like John Edwards, but I think it is shortsighted to argue that Obama has no substance. Obama has plenty of substance and is very clear about what direction he would like to lead this country. Obama has consistently outlined his agenda for all those who have listened. For emphasis, how many times have we heard Obama talk about what he would do in terms of education and insuring that more Americans are able to affordably send their kids to college. I have not heard the other two candidates talk about education nearly as much. Edwards has talked about ending poverty but has not specifically spoken about the ways in which education can be used to help in that cause. How many times I have heard Barack outline his plans for the economy or how he would work hard to insure that senior citizens are able to live comfortably in their retirement years without having to do things like pay into social security beyond the age they start receiving it. Let's face it, Barack is a man that can do more than inspire people with eloquent speeches. He has the capability and character of getting the job done.

January 29, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |