January 29th, 2008

Clinton thanks Floridians, promises to get delegates seated

Watch Sen. Hillary Clinton thanks supporters in Florida Tuesday night.

Watch Sen. Hillary Clinton thanks supporters in Florida Tuesday night.

(CNN) – Hillary Clinton held a victory rally in Davie, Florida Tuesday night - even though the Democratic National Committee has stripped Florida of all of its delegates to the nominating convention, and no Democratic presidential candidate campaigned in the state.

“I could not come here to ask in person for your votes, but I am here to thank you for your votes today,” Clinton told her supporters. The New York senator also promised the crowd that she would do everything she could to get Florida’s delegation seated at the Democratic convention.

Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton said Tuesday night that Clinton was “trying to assign meaning to a contest that awards zero delegates” after her recent loss to Obama in South Carolina. “Sen. Obama is disappointed that Florida will have no role in selecting delegates for the Democratic nominee, but looks forward to competing and winning in Florida during the general election,” he said.

–CNN Associate Producer Martina Stewart

Filed under: Florida • Hillary Clinton
  1. BM

I don't know who the real Clintons are.?

January 30, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  2. RF, NJ

The whole primary system is unfair and broken. All 50 states should hold a primary on the same day.

January 30, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  3. JPS

Denial of representation to not sit the delegates. Florida and Michigan should count!

Hillary in 08

January 30, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  4. Trece

I do not think there is hate for either candidates, I think people are so wrapped up in winning the battle things get out of hand. I think our country is in such bad shape , the last thing we need is hatred. Obama can do the job. GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!

January 30, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  5. ATexanForAUnitedAmerica

Won? You call a race where no one campaigned against you a win? What a fair tale.

Look again pricess, Barack wasn't THAT far behind you and he held true to his word not to campaign there. And don't you Clinton bloggers bring up that "ad" again. It was a national ad and does not in any way break any campaign rules for Florida.

So, let's see what happens in a real campaign on Super Tuesday. Everyone whose state is a part of that event has a chance to go out and vote. I doubt that Bill's current "nice guy" routine will erase his actions over the last few weeks.
    It hasn't been that long back.

January 30, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  6. A voter

Clinton is a complete moron. No one campaigned there but her, there are no delegates. Now she wants to go against the agreed rules and seat their delegates, because she won a contest against no competitors.

She is such a slezy joke. She'll never get my vote for th general election. i'll vote for Mccain instead.

January 30, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  7. Chris, Jacksonville

Umm, Hillary.....I hate to break this to you but you "won" exactly SQUAT!

Nobody campained here in FL. You cannot "win" if there is no competition.

As much as I cannot trust or for that matter, stomach the Republicans, it is cheap garbage like this that keeps me from joining the Dems.

Just pathetic all-around.

This Independent says:

Vote: None of the Above '08!

January 30, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  8. voter

I don't understand why Florida votes didn't count for the Democrats? Why the Democrat Committee stripped the deligates? Not sure why. Hillary not getting any deligates in Florida but when November comes, she should get the real vote during election right?

Obama should not mock Hilliary as Beauty Contest in Florida...what a JERK!

January 30, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  9. David

Look, I agree that no state should be left out of the process. BUT states like Florida and Michigan knew precisely what was going to happen if they front-loaded their elections. The Democratic Party made no secret of that. But they decided to do it anyway, daring the Party to keep their words. And they did.

They broke the rules of the game, so they should rightfully suffer the consequences.

Hillary should not receive any delegates from Michigan or Florida, because it was already agreed upon by ALL the Dem candidates that there would be no delegates. And neither should Obama, frankly. In fact, had Obama won Michigan or Florida, I don't think he would have wanted the delegates from there either.

I used to be a huge admirer of the Clintons, especially Hillary. But after seeing the kind of tactics they are willing to use to win, I will sooner burn my ballot before I vote for Hillary.

January 30, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  10. cobra

Hitlary has no integrity and will do anything to win. The country does not need another shot of Clintoons.

January 30, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  11. Ocean

Go Vegeterian – THANK YOU. I have been pleading to them but no one will listen.

January 30, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  12. kelly s.

Bottom line: Republicans are looking for change, too, and have dismal field in the GOP to vote for. They will NOT vote for Hillary, this is crucial. I am an independent, but a former Repub myself. I am also a veteran and a wife and mother. I strongly support Obama, he is real and the only hope. Go OBAMA!!!

January 30, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  13. Katy

If you want to live in the past with job continuing to move oversea and move backward while the rest of the world (especially China) move forward, vote for the Clintons (plural).

If you want to live for present & future (caring for next generation, your children, your grandchildren, etc) and move forward with the rest of the world (catching up with China) then vote for the best candidate, regardless which party.

My 2 cents and I am an Independent & a grandmother.

January 30, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  14. Russ C, Seattle, Wa

This leaves me cold!

Democrats in Florida have every right to cast their ballots and the party frankly has short changed the Party, tha candidates and the Nation. That said, I am not impressed with Clinton for spinning this.

CNN is complicate in the fraud and have fixated on anything but substantive issues. The best political team on TV? Well the most sold on themselves I think.

January 30, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  15. Mike

If nobody enforces the rules, then what is to stop any state from voting whenever they want to, regardless of what the DNC says?

I live in PA, which is a huge state with alot of people, and I'm sick of voting last and having no say in these elections – while much smaller states like Iowa vote first and determine the direction of the campaigns and who drops out or stays, long before I even get to vote!!

How about if my state thumbed its nose at the DNC and just decided to move its date up and vote whenever it wanted to? Would that be fair? I'd say yes, because I'd like to have some say, too. But there are rules. So why should Florida be allowed to do it and get away with it, but nobody else?

The Florida votes don't count – period. That was agreed to by all parties involved, including Clinton and Obama. Don't blame either campaign – blame the powers that be in Florida, who decided to move up their primary anyway, even after being told their votes would not count if they did.

Hillary – no FL delegates for you.

January 30, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  16. politicaltiger

To Newra,

Read Time Magazine's article – Obama's Varied Record. it talks about his experience, position on issues, and the accomplishments that made him famous. it will open your eyes.

January 30, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  17. Elizabeth

The Obama ad did not violate the rules. If it did, then John Edwards and Hill did as well because they have had ads on the FOX, CNN, MSNBC in the last few months. There was no Florida airtime bought.

If Hillary was truly concerned for the rights of Florida voters, she would have filed a lawsuit a few months ago. There could have been a decision and then all the contenders and all the voters of Florida would have known that their vote did count or didn't count. The DNC made it very clear that the votes would not count and not just the contenders but the voters reacted.

I congratulate Obama and Edwards for being adults and following the rules!

January 30, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  18. politicaltiger

I'm from Michigan, and it is plainly obvious what Hillary is doing. She wants an unfair advantage in the nomination. We didn't have a chance to vote for Obama in michigan, just uncommited, and Florida did not have an opportuniy to get to know the delegates up close.

But I have a suprise for her, i will vote fo republican in she becomes the niminee, and that is no9t just talk. Think what you want.

I'll never cast a vote for a slime ball with no ethical sense. Is that what you want in office? Obama 2008, otherwise i'll vote for mccain.

January 30, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  19. bryan, san francisco, CA

the difference between barack obama and hillary clinton:

obama: "i hope the voters are smart enough to vote for me"

clinton: "i hope the voters are stupid enough to vote for me"

it's very simple...barack obama relies on people being smart enough to look at the facts. hillary clinton relies on the stupidity and ignorance of the average american voter.

will america be smart enough in 7 days?

January 30, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  20. obama 08

She clearly violated the rules that she and the Democratic Party agreed to pretending to want to "give Floridians their voice". Apparently the rules don't apply to the Clintons. Where was she last Sat. night in Columbia, SC when she left town without even acknowledging her supporters there...she was already on her way to Tenn. I certainly hope that the people of Fla. and the rest of the country are smart enough to see through the disgusting antics of the Clintons.

January 30, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  21. Dick Pittenger

Although no Democrats were supposed to campaign in Florida, Hillary made 4 fundraising visits to the State, and when she showed up before the polls were closed in the panhandle of Florida, I saw all kinds of Hillary banners and signs, so I suspect she was campaigning just by showing up in a much-publicized future trip to the State after Election Day. She also publicly called for Florida delegates to count, although she supposedly had signed the agreement to avoid the State.

January 30, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  22. Sue

I am a lifelong Democrat and I have been extremely disappointed in CNN 's biased reporting in favor of Obama. It's CNN's job to report on the electoral process, not to try and influence it's outcome. You are no better than Fox News.

January 30, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  23. BM

Bottom line: Hillary will not be a strong enough leader for this country. Plus, she will bring with her too much baggage which equals animosity.

January 30, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  24. Tonya in Houston

If Hillary wins the Democratic nomination, John McCain is getting my vote in the general election and I have NEVER voted republican before. I respect John McCain and I respect what he stands for (and won't stand for) but I can not say the same for Hillary Clinton. I've only recently (since the beginning of her candidacy for president) felt this way...I've seen a different side of her and her husband and it's ugly, kniving, and underhanded.

January 30, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  25. Michael

Politics is a dog eat dog game. Are people that blind and ignorant to the fact that the majority of politicians talk a lot of crap. Its about convienceing you to vote for them. Obama just seems like he is full of hot air. He snapped back at Hilliary, if he wants to prove that he is above the mud slinging than be a man and just not respond. Come on he even turn his back towards her. He is like a used car salesman that would say anthing to get you to buy a car.

Stop bashing Hilliary because she is a woman. There are so many women that are positive role models and this country needs one. We have had enough men try to run this country and left us disappointed. Its time for a change.

January 30, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |