January 29th, 2008

Clinton thanks Floridians, promises to get delegates seated

Watch Sen. Hillary Clinton thanks supporters in Florida Tuesday night.

Watch Sen. Hillary Clinton thanks supporters in Florida Tuesday night.

(CNN) – Hillary Clinton held a victory rally in Davie, Florida Tuesday night - even though the Democratic National Committee has stripped Florida of all of its delegates to the nominating convention, and no Democratic presidential candidate campaigned in the state.

“I could not come here to ask in person for your votes, but I am here to thank you for your votes today,” Clinton told her supporters. The New York senator also promised the crowd that she would do everything she could to get Florida’s delegation seated at the Democratic convention.

Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton said Tuesday night that Clinton was “trying to assign meaning to a contest that awards zero delegates” after her recent loss to Obama in South Carolina. “Sen. Obama is disappointed that Florida will have no role in selecting delegates for the Democratic nominee, but looks forward to competing and winning in Florida during the general election,” he said.

–CNN Associate Producer Martina Stewart

Filed under: Florida • Hillary Clinton
  1. Jay

Not one Barack supporter answered my question so far, so I will ask it again.

Two words for the Obama supporters: Sour Grapes.
    One question Barack fans. If Barack had won by the same margin, would you still feel the 1.5 million voters in Florida didn't matter?

I guess Like Mr. Obama, you just choose to ignore anything Hillary..lol

January 29, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  2. Carolinian

I congraduate Hillary Clinton on her victory... I agree with the concerned Voter that posted before me. The Obama supporters are trying to sweep Hillary Flordia win under the rug... I'm from SC and I voted for Hillary in the primary and I will do the same in November... I am so excited about this victory going into Super Tuesday next week.

Hillary '08

January 29, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  3. friendly

I agree with your thorough analysis, Jonathan in Chicago! Everybody has to play fairly – nobody can change the rules in the middle or at the end of the election!! – it is not fair in any simple game – here we are talking about election of a democratic nominee for the president of the USA!! If HRC is so concerned about the voters in Florida – why she did not say anything about it before – when DNC set the rules last year?!

January 29, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  4. MJ

Of course Hillary won FL with no campaigning from the other two candidates. She has been a national household name for close to 20 years...ONLY because of Bill!

Any HRC supporter knows that if more people become familiar with Barack Obama or John Edward, Hillary's boat will sink like a lead weight!.

January 29, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  5. indie

I'm not uninformed, but I'm still impressed. I want a president who will scratch and claw if she represents me. That some how impresses me. I'm mean what else are you going to do as a candidate? Run around and wave banners of "CHANGE."

January 29, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  6. Tom Wittmann

It is really outrageous that the Clintons are asking the DNC to allow the Michigan(where she ran unoposed) and now the Florida delegates to vote in the convention, and even more so if the DNC accepts this request.

This will force OBAMA to go to court and independent of the result, would without
    doubt create a climate in and outside the Democratic party which would lead to
    its defeat later.

If the valid DNC decisions to penalize States is just or not, is out of discusion.
    Fact is that all three Dem candiadtes had accepted it and therefore pledged not to
    campaign there.

January 29, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  7. Bruno

no delegates for you Hillary

January 29, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  8. Ray

Guess what..Obama lost a race that the people of Florida thought meant something. So it does mean something!!

January 29, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  9. Aida D. Spradlin

Tell me what is the problem with political coverage that does not see that Senator Clinton, without campaigning got over 800,000 votes...... more than any Republican including McCain.

Is CNN truly the most trusted unbiased network...one wonders......

January 29, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  10. Didi Miesen

I know you won't run my comments. That's fine. Just wanted to share my disgust with the best political team on television.

I used to respect CNN because I believed CNN upheld the highest journalist standards. That is no longer the case, of course and this viewer is one of many who will turn CNN off permanently after the elections. Until then I will hold my nose and watch only to work on countering your slander and manipulations you all really think, the viewers aren't aware of. How arrogant, ignorant and crude.

I predict: CNN will soon be a laughing stock world wide. you can censor all you like. Fair is fair I suppose because your viewers are censoring you faster and faster.

January 29, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  11. mommyof3inGA

I was going to post a lengthy blog comment, but then read yours, Jonathon in Chicago. Upon reading your very eloquent breakdown......all I can say is "AMEN"!

- And I was once a Clinton supporter. She's really turned me off.

January 29, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  12. Indydemrep

America, evaluate the exit polls carefully. Non of the young vote that is usually for Obama came out. The group between 19 and 30 came out in very low percentages. If Obama had been in working in the state the young vote would have come out for him. Listen we don't have time on our hands like the retires that voted for Mrs. Clinton, if our votes are not going to count for something, we'll spend our working on something more important.

Just stating the facts.

IDR

January 29, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  13. Steve, Chappaqua, N.Y.

I tried for a second time to watch this speech she gave, and I still can't get through it. She is screaming with that grating voice of hers, I find it really hard to listen to what she's saying. I know it sounds like I'm bashing her, but play the clip and see for yourself, she's brutal. I thought she was much better one on one with Blitzer later on.

January 29, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  14. Brian

Cmon CNN this is totally biased coverage in favor of Obama. How can Hillary "promise" to get the Florida delegates seated? This is "fear mongering." I have seen other posts lately suggesting your coverage is becoming biased; please be fair...

January 29, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  15. Keystone gal

OK ... firstly, I'm a republican, secondly, I never cared for the Clintons, thirdly .... I have a fully functioning brain ...

This is what I know ...
    The DNC spanked Florida because it wanted to have its voice heard in the primaries. The Rebulicans rebuked this change, but fell far short of taking away all delegates.

Even though the dem candidates agreed to not actively seek votes, one dem did through the form of TV ads, yet he failed to garner as many votes as Hillary - who played by the rules.

Hillary is asking that the delegates be seated following the selection of the candidates, which is the least that can be done.

Look ... I think McCain and Romney can both take Obama ... as the man is a happy, upbeat, motivational man, but he is weak on information. I think Hillary is the dems only real chance.

It makes no logical sense what the dems did to MI and FL, but boy oh boy, I'm glad you did it because my taxes won't go up for the next 9 years with a republican in the white house again.

Keep on thinking with emotion ... please ... the pocketbook you'll be saving will be mine!

January 29, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  16. Michael

Doesn't really matter what the Democratic National Convention says.... the voice of the people SHOULD NEVER be discounted. They should have found another way of penalizing Florida & Michigan. To take away their VOICE in the process is both unconstitutional and wrong.

I am from Tampa, Florida.....and my vote should count REGARDLESS of anything else.

January 29, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  17. Michael Arnaud-Glen Burnie, Maryland

All this noise about Florida and Michigan not haveing delegates at the convention just proves one thing. The parties and electoral college need to be removed from the election process. Then and only then will EVERY state have a voice then only the votes counted in the general election will matter, instead of all this campagining for delegates hype. But then again, why would the parties want the PEOPLE to actually pick their President. Yeah, there's a radical idea.

January 29, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  18. Leah DiMarco, TX

I wish everyone would get their facts straight.

Senator Obama's NATIONAL ad was not against the rules.
    The DNC approved it.
    You can not run a NATIONAL ad and omit ONE state.
    Billary could have spent the money and did the same thing.

Also it was not a HUGE win for Billary.
    There were NO delegates to win.
    Obama 0 – Edwards 0 – Clinton 0 – Kucinich 0

I believe if it were a REAL race in Florida the results would have been much different and many other people other than the people concerned about the property tax issue would have came out in droves to vote and be heard. When intelligent people know that their vote will not count because there are no delegates to win they are more apt to stay home!

January 29, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  19. H.ROSS

Wow was that a message from white America ?

January 29, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  20. Hiroken

This is a big win for HRC–delegates or no, tactics used irrelevant, congratulations to her!

I, however, still think the best thing for America is a nomination for Obama. HRC is just another politician. Obama is an American.

~

January 29, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  21. Tyran

I think the truly sad and unfortunate thing about all of this is that Hillary was not willing to stay the course in South Carolina and thank her supporters who worked tirelessly to campaign for her in the state as well as get out to vote in the SC primary. Yet, she is willing to go to a state where she did not campaign to thank supporters. That's hypocritical, disingenuous and another sign of just who the Clinton campaign for the White House is all about–Hillary!

I promise that if Hillary wins the Democratic nomination, she will not win in the general election. Republicans wil not let her win. As Roland Martin pointed out tonight, as much as the Republicans have an aversion to John McCain, they would rallly around him in order to beat Hillary. All of a sudden, Republicans who have grown disenchanted wtih the party would get out to vote against Hillary. And, sadly, I would vote against her even though I desperately want to see an end to a Republican-run White House. I cannot be supportive, however, of Hillary's divisive and me-first tactics that evince to me that she does not care about the American people. I almost cannot stand to see the sight of the woman and believe that she would ruin the great chance that we Democrats have to win the Presidency and begin to heal this nation.

I pray to God that come Super Tuesday, Democractic Americans are smart enough to vote for Barack Obama! If not, at least vote for John Edwards. Otherwise, I will begin my campaign amongst fellow Democrats to either vote independent, or, worse, Republican in order to thwart Hillary's efforts. That is a promise!

January 29, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  22. Nancy

Again, I think Obama is SOOOOOOOOOOOO hypocritical. He does exactly what the Clintons do and then he plays all sanctimonious and victimy. I have always voted for Democrats, but I'm not sure I could vote for him because I think he is not genuine – I think his manipulation by using values and high principles while being so dishonest stinks. He is far more dangerous than Hilary, and I hope those of you who have been duped by him will wake up.

CNN, your support for Obama is very noticeable. Even your headline, "Hilary Trumpets...." is a slap at her. I can't imagine you'd say that Obama Trumpets a win! No, your word for SC was "rout." It seems to me that some media, e.g., CNN, and some old-style politicians are getting back at Bill Clinton by "trumpeting" Obama. Yuk – talk about old-style politics! Obama = old-style cronyism and say anything to get elected. Hillary = not perfect but far better than the Obama.

January 29, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  23. June Edwards

I've been listening to CNN all evening and all I've heard is Hillary bashing. No one has mentioned that she got more votes than McCain or anyone!! Her voters came out fully knowing that their vote won't count. That is GREAT support!!!

January 29, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  24. Independent Observer

Is anyone else concerned that Clinton and Obama are being presented by the news media as the only viable Democrats?

No matter how tainted Edwards is by the Dems failed '04 bid, he's still a better candidate and statesman then either of the two front-runners.

Give Edwards the airtime that the Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee are getting and then maybe we'll have a good shot at getting a real candidate.

On the bright side, this IS America, after all, and the Dems should know that there's no way to attract Republicans with a woman or a black guy (a sad and ugly truth). If nothing else, he's the white guy who's not Hillary.

January 29, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  25. Brian

Just like Hillary left South Carolina and campaigned elsewhere because she knew she was going to lose SC, Obama abandoned FL because he knew there was no way he was going to win there. Obama did not lose Florida because he didn't campaign there, Obama lost Florida because he couldn't win there. Check all the voting statistics if you seriously doubt that, if you've been watching this campaign closely you'll know they favor Hillary bigtime. And this is why Obama is downplaying Florida and saying it doesn't matter now. Too bad for all the Floridians who didn't want to change their primary date but are being disenfranchised now.

January 29, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |