January 29th, 2008

Sources: Giuliani will endorse McCain

(CNN) - Rudy Giuliani will endorse John McCain Wednesday in California, two GOP sources familiar with the discussions told CNN Tuesday.

McCain's campaign manager, Rick Davis, had been in "ongoing discussions" with Rudy Giuliani's campaign about the former New York mayor ending his run and actively endorsing McCain's candidacy, according to a GOP official familiar with talks.

Full story

Filed under: John McCain • Rudy Giuliani
  1. Keith865

Rudy trying to salvage a VP slot?

January 29, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  2. Dinah

Mr. Giuliani is a good man and will do the best for our country. It would be wonderful if he supported Mr. McCain.

January 29, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  3. NickNas

LOL Camp?? More like too few crew. I am not sure he would WANT his help anyway.

January 29, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  4. Biden Backer/Seattle

Nice campaign, mr. 9.11. No, really. lol hard

January 29, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  5. E.Morrison

Great. McCain can get all the Indies to vote for him if the Dems make the mistake of voting Hillary in as the nominee. Yay, those who didn't want another Clinton have a choice!!!

Thanks McCain; you are the Indepedent choice to Hillary Clinton ticket.

January 29, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  6. Jay -- Ft. Lauderdale, FL

God help us!

January 29, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  7. Gavin

I am a Republican and have voted such since I was allowed to vote, and would have done so if I could earlier. The McCain immigration issue is fatal to me, along with restrictions on freedom of speech (campaign finance reform) and other anti-conservative/republican stances. Maverick to me means against the party. If he and Obama win I am going to take a more serious look at Obama, and for the first time in my life I may vote democrat. (Lesser of two evils in this case) My friends who are republicans have said they would pick Hillary over him. I won't go that far, but will give serious consideration to a viable independent candidate. Why vote for your party when your representative could care less about your party's ideals. Maverick is not my party. The media's darling is not mine.

January 29, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  8. shaun

Mccain/Giulliani ticket anyone?

January 29, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  9. Brad Caldwell

McCain Scares me to death and the endorsement by Mayor Guliani confirms my suspicion. The Washington insiders will do whatever it takes to keep Mitt Romney out of the race. They are so worried that an honest outsider is going to get elected and expose what has been going on for years it is really quite amazing. I will vote for Romney. He is the best candidate for America. He can work with both the war and the economy. We will really lose out if this man is not elected president.

January 29, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  10. Geri

Democrat that I am, I have to give it to Giuliani for his up beat concession speech. Defeated but humerous at the same time. God bless him..Obama should take lessons from him.

January 29, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  11. Richard

Who cares who Rudy endorses, does it bring our troops home from iraq? no

Im through with the republican party.

January 29, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  12. Laura-TX

WOW...can you imagine a McCain/Guiliani ticket! What a beautiful dream–I hope it comes true!!!oh yeah! If that happens I'll be their biggest supporter. :):)

McCain/Giuliani '08!

January 29, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  13. mike kaplan

I'm listening to Rudy's concession speech- what a laughable pile of, um, nonsense.
    He's congratulating himself for making such a great contribution to the race, even as he leaves, having not won a single state. Good riddance- g'bye, Rudy.

January 29, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  14. Max

I can see it now...

McCain/Guiliani '08

January 29, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  15. Tyler in Raleigh

McCain with Giuliani as VP.... I could vote for that. Im sure the Republican base would be ready to destroy the party, we can end them and the Democrats all in one year!

Time for some moderates and independents to change the country.

January 29, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  16. Frank

John McCain will win an overwhelming victory in general elections if Obama gets the Democratic nomination since many democrats will win for McCain and not for Obama! If Clinton gets the nomination, that would make a very interesting election that could swing either way!

January 29, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  17. M

Who cares? Now the two RINOs (Republicans in Name Only) will be joined at the hip. If they wernt such war hawks they would be democrats. Hell even the democrats arnt strong against the war. Our two party system has turned into a sad joke with people ignoring principle and instead following polls as gospel.

January 29, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  18. Susan Frishkorn

I wish CNN had not cut off Clinton's talk to her supporters. We have however, been sitting patiently through each one of the Republican speeches.
    We've heard from Republicans for seven years now. May we please focus on some different ideas? Please, CNN?

Susan Frishkorn
    Pensacola, Fl.

January 29, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  19. Boomer

It does not really matter who will be on that ticket.

January 29, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  20. Joe, Florida

I'm not voting Republican, BUT.....

I'm proud of the fact that people saw through Giuliani and realized he is full of hot air. He had no substance, and was running on the 9/11 image; he is an opportunist.

I may not agree with the Republican contenders, but I do not want that the wrong candidates end up on the general election ballot.

The voters is in this country are apparently getting more involved in the political process after all, and that is a very good thing.

January 29, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  21. Anonymous, Somewhere, MI

Nah, there's going to need to be some fence-mending after the primaries. Giuliani is way too much in the McCain camp of the party. McCain is going to need to reach out to some other wing of the party. I'd keep my eyes on Huckabee or possibly even Fred Thompson to shore up support to the right of him.

January 29, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  22. Aditya Adhikari

Well if we have to choose a liberal, I will now vote for a true liberal Democrat in the Coming Nov Elections.

McCain's Win in Florida and him becoming the Nominee is the loss of hope for True Republicans.

January 29, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  23. Kevin Fuller

Does this put him in line for what always might have been his goal: to be a vice presidential?

January 29, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  24. giriraj

no way dude same principals

January 29, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  25. Tom, Cville, VA

"Mccain/Giulliani ticket anyone?" Wow, that would be disgusting!

January 29, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |