January 29th, 2008

Sources: Giuliani will endorse McCain

(CNN) - Rudy Giuliani will endorse John McCain Wednesday in California, two GOP sources familiar with the discussions told CNN Tuesday.

McCain's campaign manager, Rick Davis, had been in "ongoing discussions" with Rudy Giuliani's campaign about the former New York mayor ending his run and actively endorsing McCain's candidacy, according to a GOP official familiar with talks.

Full story

Filed under: John McCain • Rudy Giuliani
  1. Sam Notting

Good luck to that...you would a VP who can add value. Giuliani is of no value since McCain has/is going to pick up everything he was supposed to. Huckabee is playing his cards right...if he can pick up a bunch of states in the South/Mid-West, he will clinch it for sure!

January 29, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  2. Ryan W

If I was McCain I'd say "Thanks but No thanks".

An endorsement from Rudy can only drag him down a point or two in the polls.

January 29, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  3. WBMT

I'm going to be sick...

January 29, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  4. Steven Newman

A McCain/Giulliani ticket would make Hillary and her vp pick look conservative!!!! Rush Limbaugh has to be puking right now!

January 29, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  5. Sandy

Prediction:
    McCain/Guiliani ticket...that mightbeat anything the Dems could offer up...

January 29, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  6. Don

Rudy's trying for the VP, but Huckabee would be a more attractive ticket for Republican Voters. Rudy has no delagates for the convention, so has no real power. He and McCain have been together since 911, they actually like one another. Rudy doesn't want to be left out either. Thats another reason he is going to support the Republicain Presidential Nominee John McCain.

January 29, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  7. los angeles

McCain/Guiliani ticket cannot and will not match against Obama-Clinton / Clinton-Obama ticket.

Democrats 2008

January 29, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  8. Fabian

Endorse McCain? Might as well. Neither of them have seen the constitution in years. Romney is the best leader and actually has a shot at beating the Democrats. I don't think McCain can...he didn't before, and though he's sounding more like a Democrat everyday now, I don't think he can pull a national win. Nobody does. Can Thompson throw his votes to Romney, since he dropped out AFTER many of us had already voted for him in Florida? I'm still pulling for Romney. He's the only true Republican left.

January 29, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  9. Evan

McCain is just a cheap copy of Hillary. I served in the military for 22 years and in combat and earned many awards but McCain does not impress me. I can't find to many differences between him and his captiol hill cronies. I remember the savings and loan scandal ...yeah I know he was exonerated, but like the Senator says he doesn't know much about finance or the economy. Just the kind of guy we need right now.

Romney is just another flip flop'n John Kerry. We were all over John Kerry being for the war before he was against the war. So why I we being hypocritical about Romney and his I was for abortion, gay marriage, and more liberal then T. Kennedy before I was against them and running for president.

My wife is shocked that I have voted straight party Repulican for 27 years and am now probably going to vote (hopefully) for Obama and if not him Hillary.

God Save Us All.

January 29, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  10. Heidi Ann Berg

Whats going on with Huckaberry does he have a chance if he only had more time for people can get to know him,how do they pick a vice persedent is it the person that comes in second.We dressed in the same colors today if you were next to mr we would look like a couple .I went to my sisters and I was watching it there I told her I was going to vote this year I am going to try to get her to vote it would be her first time to mabey my whole family should do it together but I wont inflence them in there vote I'm not going to tell them I'm voting for Edwards on the side and Huckeberry on the other Who is your favorit Anderson or you can't say I understand that for people don't vote just because you voting for them . I wouldn't that would go against me as an independent voter I do not care who indoses any one that does not change my prospective on things if it did then I would of voted for Obama because of Oprahs indorsement well I am back at the library know and am going to head home

January 29, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  11. Scott, Milwaukee, WI

McCain will pick Kay Bailey Hutchinson as his vice-presidential running mate.

January 29, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  12. John, New Orleans, Louisiana

I think McCain/Huckabee might be more compelling. They seem to like each other and it throws a bone to the far right who will have to swallow hard over McCain in the interest of keeping the White House for the GOP. Plus Huckabee's stump and debate skills will provide a lighter touch and allow McCain to be the straight man and come in with the "But seriously folks..." zingers.

Rudy seemed to have caught Fred Thompson Disease – wanted it but did not want to work hard enough to get it.

What a great come back story for McCain – the pundits were trying to bury him last year. Congratulations to him and all his supporters!

I am an Obama backer and McCain worries me the most. I have been quietly hoping the GOP would nominate Romney who would be much easier to beat.

January 29, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  13. Tommy

I see Rudy is trying to get the VP slot! McCain/Giulliani 08 ???

January 29, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  14. Bizre

Giuliani for President? Was that bully really serious? Just get lost from the political scene.

January 29, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  15. Joan Daniel Lillo

Ladies and gentlemen,

Finally we can be certain that MR. RUDY GUILLIANI never was a "Front Runner". Indeed was the clear candidate for the "Media". Well, now the reality is that there is no way to evade RON PAUL this time. Congressman Paul deserves your attention since is the ONLY candidate that when elected as President of United States will respect "The Constitution". Took time but Mr. Paul but you will make history.

People is looking for inspiration? With Obama ok, wait till more people sees and reads Dr. Paul platform.

Joan Daniel

January 29, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  16. wendy

Clinton wins hands down. All the way to democratic convention. It is not a beauty contest as it will be a insult to 2+ million democratic voters in florida.

January 29, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  17. JohnS

Those who are referring to the Obama AD in Florida are truley ignorant!!!!! This is very serious; most of these people are so ignorant it makes some of us SICK!!

The AD is by CNN; this AD is running and has been doing so in almost ALL the big states. I am avid viewer of CNN in TX and have been seeing this AD since SC.

Wake up people; other nations truly and correctly laugh at us in the US because most of us are so uninformed, ignorant.. you name it!!!

When I run into so many dumb ones on university campuses, I think the public might be better off!!! But events like this one, and the cheering for Hillary tells me that some of the people out there are equally ignorant and quite uneducated!!! God Bless us all…

Perhaps the state of Florida should simply stay out of this process, given that they simply DO NOT FOLLOW BASIC, I MEAN BASIC RULES!!!

This will come back to hunt the Democrats as the Republicans will use this so-called win of Hillary against them in the general election:

PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO REGARD FIR LAWS AND RULES OF THIS NATION!!!!

January 29, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  18. Clint

I have seen so many people leave comments stating "It is a shame because Rudy is so respectable." Yep a guy who cheats on his wife and has admitted to using hard drugs is just the man we need in the White House. As if things were not bad enough in Washington. McCain may be dead by the time the primary's are over, and Huckabee is so "I love Christ so vote for me" it makes me sick.

God help this nation if Clinton or Obama are elected.

January 29, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  19. Mark

Mitt and Fred has a nice ring. Sounds American to me. John and Rudy sounds like two old friends, and Mike and Ron, where left in the cold.

January 29, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  20. Independent

One down one to go: Now McCain has basically won the republican nomination; I am waiting for Obama to win the democratic nomination.

Once these two great spirits are the only two left running against each other, whichever one of them lose, America wins.

January 29, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  21. M F

GO McCAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 29, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  22. rw

Rudy made a miscalculation in not campaigning in the earlier caucuses/primaries, but I think after the dirty deed of the NYT, he lost interest in the game. He withstood too much crap from the extreme liberal NYorkers while mayor and was not up to the same. People have no idea the mess Rudy inherited when he became mayor. It was anarchy. He made NYC respectable again.

January 29, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  23. John

I been Republican since I was able to vote I will vote for Obama or Clinton though over McCain he will bring the party down more then Bush did.

January 29, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  24. Stevizal

If this is the future of the Republican party, I want out!

January 29, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  25. Archer

I have voted Republican since 1984, and there is no way in hell that I will ever vote for John McCain. The Democrats will have Two people running this year, 3 if you count the VP on the Dem side, and 4 if Rudy teams up with McIdiot. Has to be a dream come true for all of my Democrat friends.
    See you in 2012!