January 29th, 2008

Sources: Giuliani will endorse McCain

(CNN) - Rudy Giuliani will endorse John McCain Wednesday in California, two GOP sources familiar with the discussions told CNN Tuesday.

McCain's campaign manager, Rick Davis, had been in "ongoing discussions" with Rudy Giuliani's campaign about the former New York mayor ending his run and actively endorsing McCain's candidacy, according to a GOP official familiar with talks.

Full story

Filed under: John McCain • Rudy Giuliani
  1. Jackie

You know there`s a problem with the political system.. if McCain comes out on top..

January 30, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  2. Don

Please quit it with the Paul ad...........he was done before he started!

January 30, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  3. Anonymous, Somewhere, MI

"What if McCain, at the youthful age of 71, happens to get ill or kick the bucket after he gets he nomination?"

If he does it early enough, the party will place a replacement candidate on the ballots. Later, he will simply win posthumously and his VP choice will be the president. Believe it or not, the sort of thing you describe has happened before, and they worked out laws for just this sort of thing. In the meantime, McCain, who is only a hair older than Reagan was, is the strongest candidate we can field against what will be a very powerful Democratic candidate. Give me a buzz when Willard Romney a) polls wins over Clinton and Obama or b) decides to stop going by his middle name. My dad taught me never to trust a politician who's first name is an initial (W. Mitt Romney).

January 30, 2008 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  4. j

I think McCain is the only shot the republicans have of getting the presidency. He could very easily beat Clinton or Obama.

January 30, 2008 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  5. Gage

Good riddance, more room for real contenders who need more media attention, like Ron Paul.

January 30, 2008 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  6. Benjamin Glosser

Good riddance. I guess his campaign, based on 9/11 exploitation, didn't work out as planned and actually turned off voters. Compared to all of the Republican candidates, he was by far the worst.

January 30, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  7. Menbi Tegegne

When I was in school I used to have a friend who would not study for quizes, tests, midterms and fail them big time. Then at finals she would study thinking she could still get an A. I used to think she would never make it in the real world. I was wrong. Now I know what people like my friend will end up being – mayors of big cities.

January 30, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  8. Johnny D.

McCain hopefully has the sense to keep the troops in Iraq and to continue to aggressively conduct the War on Terror, there are fewer and fewer individuals in this country who understand the long term stakes and strategy devised by the Neocons, I believe it is very likely McCain does. The success of the Bush administration in this needs to be maintained, and hopefully McCain will be the one for the job. Needless to say McCain if president, like Bush, will immediately find himself in two-front war against two enemies at once: not only the terrorists abroad but also the anti-Neocon liberals and their MSM propaganda machine at home whose success is only all too evident by the comments on these boards.

January 30, 2008 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  9. RTC

I could not be more disappointed with the outcome tonight. And to hear that Rudy is teaming up with McCain...well, say goodbye to the GOP.

January 30, 2008 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  10. BobG

Name me another big city major that would not have done what Rudy did during 911. Now, find me another major on the verge of being run out of his city on the rails if 911 didn't happen. Rudy was a one-trick pony opportunistic that had nothing to offer except he was on the job at the time. Big deal. He offered nothing. His first shot at the top position was his last, and anyone surprised by his withdrawal deserves a president as shallow as Rudy. Luckily, for all of us, he is gone. A footnote. Hey, who was mayor of Chicago during the fire? The mayor of San Francisco during the earthquake? Likewise, who was mayor of NYC during 911? In the future, we'll all look have to look it up to remember.

January 30, 2008 02:38 am at 2:38 am |
  11. Scott

People THINK...Giuliani will not be McCain's running mate. it will be Huckabee. He needs Huckabee to attract the evangelical vote. There's a reason why Huckabee is staying in until Super Tuesday (and I predict through Texas). This is predictable for anyone really paying attention.

Next Hillary will start to complain that the voters in Florida and Michigan have been disenfranchised and will want their delagates restored. This is all so easy to figure out.

That being said...GO McCain!!!!!

January 30, 2008 02:48 am at 2:48 am |
  12. Wil Burns

Ha-ha! "Franticness in the air, if you will?"
    That's John Kerry, all right.

January 30, 2008 02:48 am at 2:48 am |
  13. Jake

While it's nice to see the Republican race taking some shape, in the end I don't think it really matters. As a Republican, I don't think we have a shot at winning the White House in November, regardless of who the Dems nominate. I think the nation is ready for a change, and thanks to GW, that change will likely come in the form of a Democrat winning the White House. I think Bush has done irreparable damage to the GOP and they will likely be paying for it for a long time to come.

January 30, 2008 03:02 am at 3:02 am |
  14. kevin

McCain is going to kick Obama's behind.

I lost all respect for Obama when he made his trial lawyer comment. McCain is much more real. In 2008 it's going to be McCain-Guiliani!!

If Obama really cared about America, he would have become a trial lawyer. What’s so bad about them? They keep the average American safe from irresponsible people and corporations.

January 30, 2008 03:17 am at 3:17 am |
  15. Trevor

Alright. More votes for Ron Paul, the only conservative running for president!

January 30, 2008 03:25 am at 3:25 am |
  16. Lloyd Roberts, Jamaica New York

I just hope that John McCain who I've supported all along does not bring Rudy into his administration, esp. as AG. Rudy missed his time in fascist Germany and the communist Russian dictatorship. He was born to late. John McMcain served his country with honor and needs to keep the independants like me satisfied. His best choice for VP, Chuck Hagel. Unbeatable ticket. Forget Rudy like his own kids have.

January 30, 2008 04:49 am at 4:49 am |
  17. Joseph

If McCain continues and gets the nomination, I won't be voting Dem OR Rep in November. This guy won FL because of endorsements secured by political favors given in the past. It's Washington politics all over again. McCain is like Bush: all he has to sell is fear to get people to rally behind him.

I'll either vote for a third party candidate or write in my wife again. She'd do a much better job than any of these buffoons.

January 30, 2008 05:39 am at 5:39 am |
  18. Renee

Ron Paul got my vote...

No thanks to the media that ignores him, the party that ignores him, and all the sheep that drank the Kool Aid, and voted for whomever the media told them were viable candidates.

Shake all the other candidates up and roll them out, and they are all the same. Only Ron Paul has a solid voting record that speaks for itself.

Ron Paul "08!!!

January 30, 2008 06:23 am at 6:23 am |
  19. JC

If McCain wins, as a conservative I will sit out and not vote in November.

January 30, 2008 07:40 am at 7:40 am |
  20. Anonymous

hillary cliton : president u.s.a. 2008 !

January 30, 2008 08:18 am at 8:18 am |
  21. Reg

This is the first time I have had respect for Mr. Guiliani's beliefs. At least he knows that the best man to "fix" this country is McCain. The White House is not about who has money, who believes in what faith, what color their skin is or whether they are male or female. It's about knowing what to do to make this country what it was and keep it that way. I'm sure McCain won't be reduced to "tears" when emotions run high in the White House.

January 30, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  22. Pat M

McCain and Romney still support Bush, Bush Policies and Republican Ideals….
    McCain will continue the Stay the Course in Iraq…
    Do you want another four years of Bush Rule? DO you want to support the country of Iraq indefinitately?

January 30, 2008 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  23. Adam

To tell you the truth in my opinion John McCain is another Bush,to continue a pointless war,we all have families and friends over in iraq and in afganistan,this part of the world has been in a constant violence for thousands of years,it has become a part of that country, i think that with careful planning U.S troops should be withdrawn and allow the i ragi goverment start making the kinda choices that will help there country suceed,now im no democrat or a republican or a liberal,im none of the above,but we keep hearing about all of these ideas from thse candidates,and we all know that action speaks louder then words,i have yet to see a candidate talk about what really needs to be addressed in this country and that the homeless population in this country,how are we gonna help them? america keeps tring to police the world when we have to many problems here,now im not saying that helping our allies and helping countries that need help,but the main center of our government course should be about the growth in our country,we keep hearing promises lets see action,now all the candidates have positive things to say,and this is a year where a black man or woman could be president,but that facts are until we loose the racial comments women vs man crap we are never gonna see the change our goverment needs... my personal opinion Bill Clinton needs to sit and let his wife run for president,and Obama really should step up to the plate and show what change he can do for our country,i believe Obama is the candidate to lead this country in the kinda change it needs,sorry to say but i dont see Senaator Clinton being the president of this country,thats my opinion, and i dont think she will be able to carry the weight of the responsibility of the presidency,she will fall under pressure,lets see what happens in the coming weeks to come.

January 30, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  24. Eric, MD

VOTER FRAUD IN FLORIDA. POLLSTERS ALLOWED INDEPENDENTS TO REGISTER AS REPUBS AND HELP WIN THE STATE FOR MC-CANE. SMELLS LIKE TYPICAL DNC TO ME.

January 30, 2008 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  25. Joe

It's so obvious now. What's the one way for the Republican primary to get the top story on CNN? Hillary losing her primary.

January 30, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |