January 30th, 2008

Carter praises Obama

Carter lavished praise on Barack Obama.
Carter lavished praise on Barack Obama.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - One former president has long assumed a very outspoken role in the presidential race. Now another is speaking up.

Jimmy Carter says he's not formally endorsing any candidate, but in an interview with the Wall Street Journal, the former president lavished praise on Barack Obama, calling his campaign "extraordinary"

"Obama's campaign has been extraordinary and titillating for me and my family," Carter told the newspaper in an interview published in its Wednesday edition. According to the paper, Carter was particularly praiseworthy of the Illinois senator's rhetorical skills, comparing them to those of Martin Luther King, Jr.

Carter also said Obama "will be almost automatically a healing factor in the animosity now that exists, that relates to our country and its government."

Carter, a onetime governor of Georgia and one of only two Democrats to win the White House in the last forty years, also said he thinks Obama's candidacy could put several southern states in play in a general election match up.

Carter also commented on the recent criticism surrounding Bill Clinton, following that former president's comments on the campaign trail that some have viewed as racially divisive. Carter said Clinton personally called him to explain the remarks.

"He doesn't call me often, but the fact that he called me this morning and spent a long time explaining his position indicates that it's troublesome to them, the adverse reaction," he said.

"I told him I hoped it would die down. - the charged atmosphere concerning the race issue," Carter continued. "And I think it will."

– CNN Producer Alexander Mooney

1. blackman

LOOK!!!! OBAMA IS QUALIFIED TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!

(US CITIZEN BORN & US SENATE ELECTED)!!!!!

NO EASY FEAT FOR ANY HUMAN BEING OK!!!!

WHITE AMERICA!!!! THE "MATH EQUATION HAS CHANGED"!!!!

90% OF "THE WORLD POPULATION", IS PEOPLE OF COLOR!!!!

BLACK,BROWN,HISPANIC & ASIAN........

AMERICA'S WHITE BIRTHRATE IS IN DECLINE ALONG WITH EUROPE'S!!!!

THIS IS AMERICA'S "OPPOURTUNITY", TO PRESENT ONE OF IT'S "BRIGHTEST SONS", WHO HAS ANCESTRY FROM BLACKS, WHITES & ASIANS TO THE WORLD!!!! AS A BEACON OF "HOPE & FREEDOM" TO THE REST OF THE WORLD!!!

IMAGINE OBAMA GOING TO AFRICA, LATIN AMERICA & ASIA & IN A DIPLOMATIC WAY "EXPORTING OUR AMERICAN IDEALS FOR THE BETTERMENT FOR THEM & US!!!!!

RESULTS: LESS HATRED/TERRORISM OF AMERICANS & OUR WAY OF LIFE.....
    NEW LONG TERM RELATIONSHIPS BASED ON MUTUAL PROGRESS FOR HUMANITY!!!!

PERSONALLY, I "STILL THINK A LOT OF OPPOSITION TO OBAMA BY SOME AMERICANS IS BASED ON BIGOTRY"!!!!!

I KNOW YOU CAN CRITICISE OBAMA BASED ON HIS RECORD!!!!
    THAT IS FAIR GAME!!!!

BUT I ALSO KNOW AMERICA'S 400 YEAR HISTORY OF SO CALLED WHITE SUPREMACY & THAT "MENTALITY", STILL EXIST IN SOME AMERICANS HEART ALL ACROSS THE COUNTRY!!!

BUT I LIKE MANY AMERICANS OF "ALL RACES ARE HOPEFUL", FOR "CHANGE"!!!

NO DRAMA WITH OBAMA IN 2008!!!!

January 30, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  2. MJinOHIO

Hillary showed what she is made of in Florida. Regardless of what Obama supporters type, Hillary got almost 1 million votes. That is HUGE! Hillary will get more support from Edwards voters. Obama is not getting this Demcrats vote. I would vote republican before I vote for Obama!

January 30, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  3. SH

Everyone vote for MCCAIN, jump on his bandwagon! Another 100 years at WAR in IRAQ won't be so bad as long its our children and not us that have to pay for it!!

OBAMA/EDWARDS 2008

January 30, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  4. Mark

If Jimmy likes Obama that is another reason not to consider him!!!

January 30, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  5. AM

I am not American but I really like Jimmy Carter, then and now. He made a huge difference in the world but unfortunately it was not as appreciated in the US. Keep on going JC. Post-Iowa, the Clinton's embarked on a scorched earth policy, burning their hard-earned social capital, that's unfortunate. Oh where have you gone JFK – growing up as a kid, America epitomized goodness.

January 30, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  6. AJ, IL

EVERYONE NEEDS TO CHILL OUT! Take a second to take in a deep breath, and exhale. There is no candidate experienced enough to be president. All this talk about Hillary being READY TO LEAD on DAY ONE is bogus. All this stuff about Hillary having excellent plans is overzealous, and all this hoopla about Hillary being the best chance to win the White House is unbelievable. One Bill Clinton is ready to lead on day one but he is not running for president. Two Hillary is not all-knowing. All the plans you see coming from Hillary are from advisers and staffers. Hillary has no economics or technical or business degrees. And thirdly, Hillary is not the best chance to win. She is the best chance for the Republican to rally around McCain or Romney. Republican conservatives are already disenchanted with there candidate choices, but a Hillary nomination could be used easily to rally the troops around, say a McCain in order to stop "Queen" Hillary. Even though McCain is one-dimensional (i.e. military, military & military) he does attract some Independents while Hillary appeals mostly to the Democratic base. Obama is America's best choice.

Obama in 08!

January 30, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  7. suzi roe

I wouldn't call it a feather in your cap if Jimmy Carter is praising you, since he is anti-semetic according to the book he wrote.

January 30, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  8. Melodi

Barack Obama all the way!!!!!!!

January 30, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  9. Seam, Philly PA

Amazing that Obama gets high praise from many current and former leaders. I don't see Hillary getting such praise. She's simply just an ordinary politician (the usual).

January 30, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  10. Open a History Book

I wonder why the most well known Democrats are all supporting Obama? I think it's because some Democrats know that HIllary Clinton in the whitehouse will completely ruin the Democratic Party.

By the way, Hillary had her shot at healthcare when she was first lady. The plan was an abysmal failure and it wasted millions and millions of taxpayer dollars.

Also, Bill Clinton denied our troops armor protection during the Black Hawk Down incident in Somalia. I won't bring up how he lied to the entire country on national TV.........while under oath.

January 30, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  11. HILL YESSSS

Soon all YOU OBAMA SUPPORTERS wil have to face the fact that Obamas going to lose and you will have to come on Hillary side...

Start NOW!

And get use to it.

January 30, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  12. Divine

MAY GOD CONTINUE TO BLESS AMERICA. It was a pleasant suprise to me
    as an African to note that in U.S.A. the color of your skin is secondry.In Austria
    where I live,may the good Lord God have mercy should you be a black man.
    Black people are being treated with contempt and scorn here.Inside the underground train you will be treated as a leper because people would not take a seat near you.
    I can go on and on! GOD BLESS AMERICA(amen).

January 30, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  13. Robert

I am a die hard democrat, but if Hillary wins, I will vote republican because, Hillary reminds me of "W" way to much.

Go Obama

January 30, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  14. michael

Obama is crooked and a slick politician. Obama takes money from special interest groups and then says he will work to fight them in Washington. I'll make a bet that if he wins the nomination the democrats lose yet another chance to be in the White House. Obama is just too liberal to lead the entire nation.

January 30, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  15. Sharon Walker

Dear Friends:

Where is my comment! predjudice are you!\

The marvelous Carter has disappointed the public!
    Obama is not all the good people of the USA or the African American.
    They would not sell or invest in beer or get kick backs.
    Carter owes the Clintons an appology!
    Freedom of speech. With respects ex President Jimmy Carter you served this nation well. Thank you for the service you have given this nation.

But you have chosen a crook who deals with beer and kick backs.
    Never before in the history of the USA has a Senior person and President represenatative as well as a member of a free democratic society disappointed and humiliated the woman of the USA.

God help this nation! Lincolns freedom gave the right to vote to all men and woman are still fighting. Carter has spit in the face of American Woman and womans rights. We have woman and men in the military and private sector of all colors, race, gender, age and regligion.

Amen.

January 30, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  16. Jackie

I don't think the media is bias at all. we have, well had three outstanding candidates participating in this race. John's voice wasn't loud enough and he didn't stomp hard enough to pump people up to vote for him. He is a good. Now Hillary, she has a powerful voice and she knows how to get people to vote for with her 35 years of experience. Obama may not have that 35 years of experience, but I don't know what other candidate that had that amount of experience before becoming our president. But I believe that Obama can unite, heal and put a better face on America where people around the world would like us again because right now there many countries around the world that don't like us and I believe Obama can change the way they view America. I remember Bill Clinton brought up the fact that Jesse Jackson won S.C. be cause of the number of African- Americans there but Jesse also the some things that our Presidents could not do. for instance during president Reagan years in the White House there was a pilot stuck in Syria, Jesse went over there and that pilot was released his name Lt. Robert Goodman and what 22 hostages in Cuba that was also released because of Jesse Jackson. During President Clinton years 3 POWS was also held hostage in Belgrade and again Jesse went over there and had them released. My point is it may take some one like BARACK OBAMA to heal America and also bring peace around the world so we the pepole of America don't have to fear other countries wanting to harm us.

Now do you think Hillary with all her years of experience can do that? I don't think so.

I am for Barack Obama because I believe he can do amazing things for our country as well as improve our relationship with others countries.

I also agree with former President Carter and Sen. Kennedy

January 30, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  17. NObama No Way

CLINTON FOR PRESIDENT!

January 30, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  18. Sharon, Orlando

I couldn't agree with Lynne and Monte more. We are not using our brains – just going with what makes us feel good! I am surprised that we are so low on self-esteem. At this time ,we don't need someone with rhetorical gifts or a titillating campaign as president we need someone with the proven experience, knowledge and brilliance to get the job done both at home and abroad. Hillary is the only one who has the proven capability.

January 30, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  19. Glenn in Victoria

Glad to see it Jimmy, but where the heck are you at anyway..... Obama's 'no right of return for Palestinians' would have, I would have thought, put you right off, which is
    where I put your comments on Israel...a write off.

January 30, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  20. Bob

Does CNN have Jimmy Carter on a lifetime retainer? Whether online or TV, you keep parading this incompetent egomaniac like he actually has something relevant to say. Perhaps most of your followers weren't born before 1980, or have never picked up a history book, but Carter will be permanently enshrined as one of the 5 poorest Presidents this country has ever endured. Domestic economic, and foreign, policies were disastrous – a world-wide joke. Does no one remember day-long gas lines, 20% mortgages, destruction of our military strength at the height of the Cold War, American hostages in Iran for 15 months. Even mild-mannered Gerald Ford said the guy was an idiot! It's nice that he's hammering nails for Habitat for Humanity, and teaching Sunday school at the peanut farm, but please stop putting this moron on "expert commentary" panels!

January 30, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  21. Mike

People please read the full article. My only advice is stay informed yourself and do not rely on CNN to do so.

January 30, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  22. Joe Williams

Thank you President Jimmy Carter for your endorsement. Edwards drops out wow. Edwards is rather was a fine candidate, his presence will be missed however, i agree he did the right thing by dropping out. I only hope that he that he endorses the candidate whose views and ideals most closely mirror his, BARACK OBAMA. The real change that he represents is what this country really needs......Obama is the real thing...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Vote OBAMA 08' !........................................................

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic" – John F. Kennedy

January 30, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  23. Reed

Mary-

Obama...not O'bama.

although he's a lot like JFK, he isn't Irish.

January 30, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  24. Timstigator

Jimmuh Cahtuh...

What can I say? My father-in-law thinks he was the greatest president. He also believes in everything the ACLU does.

I know I felt so PROUD to be an AMERICAN when he was prez. Our hostages in Iran spent 444 days of PRIDE over there as guests of Achmeindijihad and fellow terrorists.

I also miss those days of inflation and high interest rates. Thanks, Jimmuh!

January 30, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  25. Terry

Wake up America...Do you really think Bill Clinton will be content with being "First Lady". The choice is obvious!

January 30, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |