January 30th, 2008

Limbaugh: Conservative base has 'fractured'

(CNN) - Calling it his "non-concession speech," talk-radio host Rush Limbaugh launched a fresh round of attacks Wednesday on newly-minted GOP frontrunner John McCain - the latest indication the Arizona senator is likely to witness a backlash from some conservative quarters as he seeks to wrap up his party's nomination.

Limbaugh, a longtime conservative critic of McCain, said the senator's rise is largely the result of "uninspiring" candidates, and a "fractured" party base.

Full story

– CNN Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: John McCain • Rush Limbaugh
  1. Jen, Boston MA

Rush,

Where have you been all these years of the GOP "bombing and killing peoples" around the world and "snooping on its own people" at home, all in your name? Were those completely condusive to your conservative "principles and ideals"?

Just because all the killing and bombing is not translating into dollars in your pocket you so believed it would, you're turning on the party, now.... Boo Hoo Hoo................

January 30, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  2. doyle warren

they all will come over to whom ever is the nomimie

January 30, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  3. Ld

I listened to Hannity today. He did a complete 180 on Mccain. He admitted that he was wrong on several points and that McCain was ahead of the curve. He talked about modernizing the Republican party.... I figured he and Limbaugh got the same talking points.. but I guess not. The whole show was very odd..

January 30, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  4. Jane White

You still don't get it, do you Rush? McCain succeeds because he's bipartisan and refuses to participate in the Sunni-Shiite partisan bashing game. Unlike the rest of the right, he doesn't believe that women should be barefoot and pregnant. Speaking of which, anyone who worries that McCain will croak in office should witness his feisty, 95-year old Mom.

January 30, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  5. Bill

John McCain is insane. He lost his mind in that prison camp 35 years ago. Can America elect TWO insane presidents in a row?

January 30, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  6. TJ

Rush who?

January 30, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  7. jfn

I think Rush Limbaugh is doing some major drugs.

January 30, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  8. Billy

Reading these comments makes me want to say that so many know so little about so much. Rush is right. Let McCain or Obama ruin this country in the next four years so we can elect a real conservative in 2012.

January 30, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  9. John

I do hope the Republican party unites behind whoever wins the nomination. None of the conservative candidates could be as bad as a "redistribute the wealth" socialist Democrat. I vote with two things in mind - the Constitution and my bank account. I'll vote for the candidate that threatens them LEAST.

I'm not rich (about $45K per year), but I worked for my college degree, and I work for my paycheck. My company gives me good health insurance ... because I worked for my college degree and I work for my paycheck.

I am not inclined to accept any socialist crap.

January 30, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  10. Al

I'm a proud small government, pro strength, pro life Conservative Republican for McCain. If there is a fracture among conservatives, Rush & pals should look in the mirror. Maybe conservatives would be less divided today if Rush, Sean, etc would engage in rational, intellectually honest debates over issues like immigration, instead of angry tirades and calling good conservatives who disagree with them "liberals."

January 30, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  11. John

Why are you giving this puppet validation by bringing him up again. In the future, please don't ever bring his opinions and hateful rubbish back up again.

January 30, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  12. Hubert

McCain a candidate of the establishment? Who does Limbaugh think (or pretend to think) the establishment is?

January 30, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  13. Tom Wittmann

Rush

If the ultraconservatives (remark the "ultra") as you want a party following your ideas, this party never would win an election. It seems that you have not thought
    at that ???

Neither, given the US biparty system, it would get a meaningful % of the congress.

What you are trying, i.e. trying to impose to the GOP the opinion of a extreme minority, is equivalent what the Ultraleft did for many years to the UK-Labour Party, which was on the best way to become irrelevant. But when TONY Blair told them: "accept the line of the majority of the party, or you can go to vote Conservative", suddenly all changed.

By the way: If Ronald Reagan, a real Conservative without the "ultra". had to
    choose between you and Mc Cain, the latter will be the winner without any doubt !!

(TOM "Manny")

January 30, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  14. Walt, Belton, TX

Rush Limbaugh! Haven't heard that name in a long time. Didn't he used to be important? Now he's just an extreme right wing flunkie recovering from whatever he used to smoke or drink or whatever. Go kiss Romney's ring and just lighten up, Rush. You are no longer significant.

January 30, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  15. Steve TX

I've voted Republican in every election...I'm 34...Rush's comments are exactly what's WRONG with the party. Too stuck in their waysand like to win outright rather than compromise!! Quit being ULTRA conservative in everything and look at the specific issues 1 by 1. The GOP will lose the younger generation if it sticks to ridiculous far right policy that benefits business while pissing on the environment. Quit being Wall Street Republicans and vote CONSERVATIVE...not FAR RIGHT!!! A true conservative would tell the adolescent WALL STREET whiners that they don't DESERVE a rate cut (like they think they do) and the country does NOT need a stimulous package...it needs to learn CONSERVATISM and controll its SPENDING on CREDIT!!! We do not deserve ANYTHING we want just because we think we do. How much of this rebate money will be spent on foreign goods??? Who does that stimulate...?!?! Lunacy!!

January 30, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  16. Terri

Fractured base... hmm... very much like the republicans have left our country. If they are truly fractured.. then I say ding dong the witch is dead.

January 30, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  17. Cookie

I so look forward to wiping the smirks off of Limbaugh, Hannity, and O'Reilly's faces. Whatever the outcome now, at long last it looks like there will be a choice between smart candidates – McCain, Clinton, and Obama are all smart, smart people. Bush was a smart dumb person but John Kerry, sadly, was a dumb smart person. And will someone please smack that ego-maniac Ralph Nader upside his head?!

January 30, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  18. Joe

Tell the Rush to quit being the second worst enemy of the Republican Party right behind Hillary Clinton. He is out of touch with the basic idea of republicanism and is caught up in his own private party.

January 30, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  19. bullmoose

Amen, Paul!

It's time the Republicans returned to being the party of Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt, and for that matter, Barry Goldwater. Goldwater warned us to beware the religious right.

Of course, I'm sure many of these neo-cons today would consider Lincoln and TR liberals disguised as Republicans.

January 30, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  20. J Retter

Who cares what a drug addict radio host says about anything?

January 30, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  21. Amy, Kazoo

People still listen to this blowhard?

January 30, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  22. Cephas

Dave from Oregon,

Dude I lived in Europe for the last 10 years. You don't have a clue what you're talking about. Both Western and Eastern Europe is in serious trouble. There Governments largely run on the brink of bankruptcy. Most of there economies are on a knifes edge too. Do you want 51% taxes (atleast)? The taxes are so high in Germany right now that they have to artifically force wages higher up – an addiction they will pay for eventually. Every major European country of which I'm aware is trying to find a way to dump their social medical programs. Not only can they not afford it but the service SUCKS! I know a Brit who has been waiting for years for an ankle surgery. I could go on and on about the UK and the Continent. America should never ever use Europe as an example. NEVER for ANYTHING!

And believe it or not I can still say I loved living there for as long as I did, but boy did it open my eyes.

January 30, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  23. mike

Hey, Rush should run as a Third Party candidate....maybe he'll win.

January 30, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  24. Scott

I am a Conservative. I do not look to this pathetic man to tell me who to vote for. If you want to know the measure of a man and determine if someone is "inspiring", then you simply have to look at their personal life. Thrice divorced, drug addiction, etc... Is Rush a conservative?? If you say yes, then based upon what?

January 30, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  25. James

Why does CNN report what this openly racist and prejudiced radio host has to say? Shame on CNN!

January 30, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |