January 30th, 2008

People meter: undecided voters weigh in

CNN

Watch voters weigh in on the most heated moments of the debate.

(CNN) – The four remaining Republican presidential candidates got down to the heart of the issues in Wednesday night’s CNN/LATimes/Politico debate moderated by Anderson Cooper.

A dozen undecided male and female Republican voters weighed in on the candidates' responses as the debate progressed.

The red line graph across the screen represents voter’s approval or disapproval of the candidates’ responses.

People meter: Watch Romney and McCain argue their conservative records

People meter: Watch the candidates compare themselves to Ronald Reagan

–CNN's Emily Sherman

1. Brian

CNN should be embraced, as should all republicans, as well as, our country! This was the worst political debate ever! This was nothing more than the McCain-Romney Bickering Show. Seems to me that Ron Paul was the only Candidate that brought up and wanted to discuss anything that related to the will of the American People. What is CNN and BIG MEDIA so afraid of? The will of the American People? Maybe they should be. The Stock Market is volatile right now. How well would their stocks do if every angry American decided to boycott them for not holding respectable debates? How about discussing the issues for once? How about equal talking time for each Candidate? Is this too much to ask? You have to ask yourself... Are the big media corporations trying to sway my opinion? If so, for what reason? Would it have anything to do with the fact that these media outlets are owned by the same corporations that profit off of war? The same corporations that are making billions in profits while the rest of us are watching the economy decline, and negatively affect our wallets?

Thanks CNN for opening my eyes!

I don't think Romney, McCain, or Huckabee could out shine Ron Paul in a one on one debate. He’s also the only republican that could win by a huge landslide against either democrat.

January 30, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  2. Clayton

Wow no mention of Ron Paul. I am so shocked.

The communist news network strikes again!

Prepare for the boycott.

January 30, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  3. Luke

Thank you CNN for your equal and unbiased coverage of all the candidates….
    You can be partially to blame for the demise of this country. So much for giving anyone a equal say. Is no winner in these debates. The american people deserve better and should get to hear everyones voice to form their own opinion. Save this country from more of this CR@P save our freedom and vote for RON PAUL! I would demand more coverage of anyone who sets fund raising records places second in multiple states and receives more money as donations from the troops than anyone. I SUPPORT THE TROOPS I SUPPORT RON PAUL!

January 30, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  4. KATHLEEN

I think the republican party better wake up and take a look at McCain – he can't focus on a direct question – he will be a disaster vs. the likes of Hillary or Obama in a debate...

January 30, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  5. Florida Voter

The only endorsement I care about is Huckabee's endoresement from God. Why is Fox and CNN both avoiding Huckabee? Florida got it wrong earlier this week, don't be the next state to make the same mistake. Neither McCain or Romney are presidential, McCain is a babbling baboon bordering a heart attack and a tooth that needs to be pulled, while HUCKABEE is the TRUE REPUBLICAN! Republicans, show the liberal media who want McCain to win, that we will not stand for their biased coverage and views, and go vote for Huckabee. McCain is for gay marriage, he will raise taxes, he supports the effort to combat the non-existent global warming while China is experiencing global freezing, and he opposes drilling oil in our desolate areas so we can become less dependent on foreign oil. Huckabee offers a flat fair tax of 23% versus the current 33%, opposes gay marriage, does not support to stupid global warming crap, and he will drill oil in desolate areas to help reduce our gas prices. VOTE HUCKABEE!!!!

Give me a break regarding Ron Paul ... I admire him for sticking it out, but he is out of his league and looks rather foolish up there, even when he opens his mouth.

January 30, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  6. jen

doesn't the first paragraph say four candidates? maybe i blinked but i only see two

January 30, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  7. Matt

I too think Ron Paul deserves a closer look. I think he has some sound ideas that harken back to the principles under which this country was founded. He appears to understand fiscal policy better than any of the candidates and what our country needs long term. I think it's time we got back to running the country constitutionally with a view for the future rather than the right now.

January 30, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  8. Stewart Henstock

I agree with Brians views except that the only candidate that answered the questions directly was Huckabee.He was the only candidate that gave reason to vote for him.

As for the debate it was a joke and blatantly biased against Ron Paul and Huckabee.

The questions were meaningless and asked by parrots.

The only good question came from Anderson Cooper directed at Romney ,"are you running for Governor or President".

I'm still waiting for the answer.

January 30, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  9. Pete

Awesome... Looks like Romney won hands down on the "People Meter"

I hope the Republicans get behind the true conservative – let the liberals endorse McCain all they want... they can have him. I want someone who doesn't come off as 'despicable' or 'surly' as McCain has been described. He's too full of himself.

January 30, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  10. EllenB4Hillary

Brian...I like your idea!! Believe me...Hillary would LOVE to run against Ron Paul! A huge landslide?? Where has the support been thus far? Come on...the voters have spoken already. He has been on every ballot. Where you get landslide out of all this is a mystery.

January 30, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  11. Della

I agree wholeheartedly and think boycotting the major networks is the best idea I've heard in a long time. Let's do it. Ron Paul is the only candidate that is listening to the American people and has been for many years. He has never switched his stand on any of the constitutional issues. He is man of principle and will not deviate from his faith in America and the American people. Let's put him in office and test and see that he is a good man, worthy to lead this great country.

January 30, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  12. Erwin

The candidate that won the debate tonight was Mike Huckabee. I was an undecided voter until tonight. Seeing McCain and Romney debate seemed liked watching children argue. Who cares that the buzzword was timetable? I wish that CNN would stop trying to select the Republican candidate by focusing purely on McCain and Romney.

Tonight, while those 2 bickered, Huckabee stood out. As a Reagan Republican, I am planning on supporting Huckabee.

January 30, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  13. Michael

Brian, I had to read that first sentence a few times. Consider looking at a dictionary.

January 30, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  14. Heidijo

They should be afraid of the the American People. We are waking up! We are discovering that they are all in bed together....media, government, federal reserve...and they are not for the sovereignty of this once great nation! This debate made me almost throw up and now I need a drink.

January 30, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  15. The American Audience

Ron Paul seemed to be the only candidate who wanted to have a debate and CNN shut him out. We are sick of CNN. The most boring, mind-numbing news network.

January 30, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  16. TNundecided

It seems the media wants to characterize Ron Paul supporters as loony or weird, but the truth is, I'm undecided and I think this guy really makes sense! Why in the world is the media so biased against this guy?? He is the only one I hear making straightforward proposals on the economy.

Ron Paul is the only one I heard tonight that didn't give me a "sleezy politician" feel.

January 30, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  17. T, Anderson

The debate started out as a rumble of two guys, but I could not be more impressed by Gov. Huckabee! He is really intune not only with the people and the issues our country is facing today, but also with the correct respect that should be offered to all. Gov. Huckabee, you have my vote!

January 30, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  18. Heather in ND

RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Need I say more?

January 30, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  19. Derick Trammell

I too believe this was a poorly managed debate and the questions too one side to McCain and Romney.

None of the candidates with the exception of Huckabee gave a good answer for stimulating the economy, his was the best. Think like that and plans that produce jobs here in America and improve our infrastructure would really make some serious improvements and strengthen our financial belt here in America.

Pitting Romney and McCain against each other question after question robed us of really good time to evaluate the candidates. Even if Ron Paul has the poorest chance to win, he deserves, and we deserve to hear every possible reason we should consider him as a candidate. Who knows what tomorrow brings, he could be the only candidate left if unfortunate events occur or the other candidates have some issue that suddenly makes them unsuitable to finish the race, or be elected.

January 30, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  20. ann

Question for Senator McCain,

I feel that by getting all the endorsements from Christ, Diaz-Balart, Ros-Lehiten,
    Schwartzenager , etc. its Washington politics as usual. They endorse you, when you get elected you owe them.

Is it funny that McCain has all these well known names endorseing him while others just have no well know people behind them and owe no one anything.

It seems John McCain is practicing his Washington ways even before elected.
    He is going to these people and telling them , stand by me and I will take care of you when I am elected--and of course, these above politicians come on board because they know this is the way the game is played in Washington.

These above endorsements along with his sensible policy make me vote for Romney.

I never thought in my lifetime I would agree with Rush Limbaugh. Romney has my vote.

January 30, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  21. Frinop

This debate was a disgrace to the democratic system. It is a disservice to the American people and our democratic process when the candidates, chosen by the people, are not each given fair time in a debate. I have lost a tremendous amount of respect for CNN by the way this debate was handled. Mike Huckabee and Ron Paul were the only one talking about the issues. McCain and Romney talk about themselves. Me me me me me, look at me. Those two need to go.

January 30, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  22. Karen

The frontrunners remind me of contestants on the Jerry Springer show, not that I ever watched that.. but have seen clips.

January 30, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  23. Sam

Does McCain have Alzheimers? Seems he can't remember the past when presented the facts!

January 30, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  24. Real Issue

Will CNN please pay the $9 Trillion debt so we can listen to more Romney-McCain. Otherwise, when the country defaults none of us will be able to afford cable. Was there one candidate that addressed the issue? No CNN was VERY careful not to talk about the coming reccession. Good Job!

January 30, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  25. Amy

Brian, I love Ron Paul as well! Just try to remember that the big business corporations that own CNN, FOX, and MSNBC also contributed to the Nazis and aligned with terrorists when the profits were on their sides. Vote for Paul, and pray he wins the nomination. The only way we can ever take back our own country is to put these criminal politicians in prison, and release the petty drug dealers and honester (is that a word?) citizens back to their own lives!

Viva Ron Paul!