January 30th, 2008

Schneider: Huckabee makes a great case

This is one of the better answers for why a governor should become president I’ve ever heard - a very compelling and eloquent answer. This is how he scores points in debates - in this case, a well-spoken defense of federalism, a very deep Republican theme.

He simply speaks in terms people relate to. He makes sense.

Related: Watch Mike Huckabee and Ron Paul debate the Iraq war

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Ed

Wish we could hear more from Huckabee. Whether you agree with his policies or not, he's definiately the most likable and effective debater. Shame on CNN for not giving more time to him.

January 30, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  2. GRACE, SUN CITY CENTER, FL

SURE.... HE MAKES SENSE.... AND WOMEN HAVE IMMACULATE CONCEPTIONS.
    DUH!! AND GOD JUST APPEARED OUT OF NOWHERE... SOMEHOW WITH
    THE POWERS OF MIRACLES.... AND THE WORLD IS FLAT.

January 30, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  3. Mike

But lots of governors govern like crap. See also Gray Davis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Roy Romer, Michael Dukakis, Jim Thompson, and Mike Huckabee.

January 30, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  4. deborah holland

I could support the Huckster, if he could get straight on Iraq. Why do these candidates keep telling us that there is honor in a war based on greed?

January 30, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  5. Russs

I thought this was a very eloquent response which elevated both he and Romney, I believe Huckabee framed the Idea of leadership in a way that didnt serve McCain well. His demeanor tonight was the best it has been in any debate. There was no question which emphasized his negatives but he was right.... he was basically marginalized by CNN

January 30, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  6. Roddy Reta

Schneider for Huckabee's VP!

January 30, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  7. Roy

This is the exact reason that the media needs to include him as a viable canidate. He is well spoken and has the morality that the other canidates lack.

January 30, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  8. Jan

Huckabee has my vote and I am a Democrat !!! All I can remember of the last 8 years is George Bush's smirk and McCain looked like a jerk up there. And, Romney was close behind. McCain has nothing going for him if all he can fall back on is his service record. Frankly, I'd be scared to death to have him as a Commander in Chief.

January 30, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  9. BJ

This is what I'm amazed that more people aren't seeing. Whether you agree with Huckabee on every issue or not, as a communicator he is head and shoulders above all other candidates, Democrat or Republican.

January 30, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  10. Mike Allen

I just finished watching the Republican debate. You would have to be an idiot not to see that Huckabee dominated this debate. Huckabee was given half the time but said twice as much with substance. While Flip Romney and McCain sniped at each other, Huckabee outlined the issues clearly and honestly.

January 30, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  11. David De Trolio

I agree with the poster who noted he did not get enough airtime. CNN did not do this, the bickering between McCain and Romney did.

January 30, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  12. Pierre

Ian,
    Why don't you go watch American Idol or something else.

January 30, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  13. Kevin

I WISH I COULD HAVE MORE FROM HUCKABEE!!! THEY SPENT WAY TO MUCH TIME ON MCCAIN AND ROMNEY!

January 30, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  14. April

Huckabee has a talent for spinning off of original ideas from Mitt Romney!

January 30, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  15. Ann

Ron Paul for President, Mike Huckabee for Vice President. Let's do it America. It will be the best thing for Americans and the world.

January 30, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  16. Kyra

I agree with Kirsten from Virginia on how they were avoiding asking the other two candidates questions.

Instead of creating some celebrity type scandal, there should have been more questions directed towards Ron Paul and Mike Huckabee. It seems that when Ron was about to be asked a question, Romney made sure to continue talking and was not told, "We have to hurry and get to this question" like Ron was when he was going to answer a question that was obviously answered by the three other candidates.

Also, I don't see how this question was exactly a productive answer for the race:

"What do you see when you look into the eyes of Russian president Vladimir Putin?"

January 30, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  17. RP

blah, blah, blah...when people are allowed to speak they have good answers. Ron Paul was jobbed by your crummy network.

January 30, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  18. Brad

I think that it is a travesty that both Huck and Paul were basically shut out of this debate. CNN just made it nearly impossible for the viewer to get a real sense of their postions. It is sad to say that in a debate dominated buy the "media" darlings half of the issues were ignored. WHile I do not agree with many of the things that Huck has said in the past debates I still want to hear something from him to further formulate my opinion.
    I am tired of the 2 front runners getting all the face time and spewing forth callous lies about the situation in Iraq before the war. Please allow us to hear from canidates not basing their platform on an agenda based on fear.
    Let Huck and Paul be heard.

January 30, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  19. Ann Darling

It is very clear to me now why most of the debates have rules. This was a horrible representation of the whole process of debate. Two of the candidates were allowed to ramble on and on about their policies while attacking each other, while the other two candidates were basically ignored. Just how does that fit into a "democratic" process? I will never watch another CNN debate.

January 30, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  20. Rob

It was a good answer, but Governor's don't deal with foreign policy. Four of the last five Presidents have been Governors, and they all have had difficulty with foreign policy. They all had difficult times with understanding how Congress worked and how to get their programs through Congress. The only President we have had who knew how to get legislation through Congress in the last fifty years was Lyndon Johnson who was the master legislator, but he failed at foreign policy. No President can accomplish the programs they promise without working with Congress. Congress is very different from a state legislature because the interests across the country are much more diverse than the interests within a state.

January 30, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  21. Rick

It's official. I won't watch CNN anymore. Your reporting is biased and small. Anderson Cooper is a lightweight who not only couldn't phrase a question in proper English, he wasn't prepared. Terrible and I demand better. "Would Ronald Reagan endorse you? Way to go Anderson... get back in the sandbox.

Rick
    Port Orange, Fl.

January 30, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  22. Kate

I hope CNN will show Huckabee equally in the "post-game show" at least. He definitely deserves equal time.

January 30, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  23. kathy

He wanted a federal law to outlaw smoking. He wants a federal law to ban abortion, rather than letting the states decide Bill, is that what federalism means to you? The media needs to stop with the Huckabee brown-nosing.

January 30, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  24. scott

Huckabee has a good head on his shoulders. Got the short end of the stick in the debate. The Biblical model is to serve others and treat others as you would like to be treated. I think we would do well to follow those thoughts.

January 30, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  25. Liz

Huckabee is the most like Reagan than any other candidate in the debate. He won this debate hands down. Romney looked scared. McCain had a great interpretation of Romney's statements on Time Tables - he did say he approves of time tables, just not letting the enemy know. But, Huckabee is the best leader for our nation.

January 30, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |