January 30th, 2008

Schneider: Huckabee makes a great case

This is one of the better answers for why a governor should become president I’ve ever heard - a very compelling and eloquent answer. This is how he scores points in debates - in this case, a well-spoken defense of federalism, a very deep Republican theme.

He simply speaks in terms people relate to. He makes sense.

Related: Watch Mike Huckabee and Ron Paul debate the Iraq war

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. gary rogers

he did not get his fair amount of time but i beleave he is the only one to tell the truth and no one has anything bad to say about him when everyone elce is tring to get thire story strate, i beleve he is the one for me and if he dose not meke it i am going to change my party because them others are just going to bring us down even more

January 30, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  2. Jason Hubsch

Huckabee KILLED in this debate. Very little airtime but every answer was spot-on and the best of the answers for that round. How are more people not behind him? And what's with the lack of airtime for him and Paul?

January 30, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  3. Joy

I was perplexed as to why the discussion following the debate by Anderson Cooper and others failed to give adequate credit to Huckabee for his performance in the debate. I'm a democrat, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but to me, Huckabee stole the show and is surely the only one on that stage who could compete with Reagan in terms of his ability to communicate.

Romney and McCain appeared tonight to be engaged in more of a catfight than a televised debate. It was awkward. Above all, it was a wasted opportunity for both of them.

Huckabee came off as presidential–effortlessly communicating how his experience as a governor qualifies him to be in this race and the White House.

January 30, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  4. Nicole

I love Huckabee. What is sad to me is that these things often become a popularity contest. With McCain and Romney getting most of the spotlite in the debate I fear people will shy away from Huckabee and go with who they think will "win".

January 30, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  5. Jan Kozelka

CNN truly disappoints me. They totally centered on McCain & Romney. After awhile it actually sickened me. I wondered when we would be able to hear from the other candidates. No surprise who CNN endorsed. If they are going to narrate a debate, at least be fair about it. This is definetly not fair to the viewers or the candidates. I thought Huckabee was by far the best. I felt he was honest and had a true sense of what this country really needs to get it turned back around.
    My vote is for Huckabee.

January 30, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  6. Mark

Shame on CNN for not controlling the time and questions to be fairly shared by each candidate.

January 30, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  7. sweetjanenc

HUCKABEE........HUCKABEE.........HIS ACTIONS SPEAK TRUTH .......HIS EYES ARE TRUE!!

I AM VOTTING FOR HUCKABEE

January 30, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  8. Cody

Huckabee and Paul are do not act like they are auditioning for a role like McCain and Romney. They speak more of where they stand and do not stray from honesty or hard questions. Media is ruining our country. Let's see if this gets posted

January 30, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  9. CRCM3

CNN, you guys should be ashamed not giving ALL the candidates equal "air time"! Romney and McCain need to grow up and quit arguing like my kids! Makes me wonder what kind of bickering either would do with other world leaders when things are going their way.....Huckabee is the ONLY man that should be elected President! Do you notice how composed he is???

GO HUCK!!!! I'm behind you all the way!!!

January 30, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  10. M Howford

So they let the two yahoos corral the debate and not allow equal time for Huckabee and Paul. Interesting how they can twist the truth and consequences to fit their outlook. And Huckabee took the debate in his three minutes of airtime.

January 30, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  11. Mary-Ellen

Huckabee soared above the rest with his answers. Ron Paul has a unique position that millions of Americans are trying to hear. Didn't you hear them? McCain was boring, dull and repetitive. It was offensive the way the questions were directed to McCain and Romney and back and forth. You successfully left out the two candidates that needed to be heard.

January 30, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  12. Claudia

Barbara, Join me and many other and vote for Huckabee on Tuesday; there IS hope! And tell all your family and friends to do so, too!

January 30, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  13. Tabetha, Jefferson City MO

Go Huckabee Go!!! Missouri is rooting for you!!

January 30, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  14. Nick

HUCKABEE IS THE MAN.

January 30, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  15. Ryan Seelke

I think Justin Flusher needs to re-learn high school civics. Federalism is all about the seperation of federal and state governments. It is a huge proponent of strong state rights, which is a strong republican talking point. It is so sad that so many Americans just dont understand our government, but yet are so sure of themselves..

January 30, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  16. Helen McHolan

So, many of us think Huckabee won the debate. How come I am not seeing any of his remarks on CNN now? That is the problem with the media. They had rather cover the fighting than cover the best man.

January 30, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  17. Mike

I disagree with almost everything Huckabee stands for, but I respect him for clearly saying what he believes. At least I know where HE stands on the issues.

January 30, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  18. Beth

I thought the debate was incredibly one sided and full of subliminal messages. CNN didn't do a good enough job asking relevant questions and treated it like a two man race. I realize CNN tends to favor the left, but this was horrible. Anderson Cooper did a terrible job moderating. His questions didn't reflect enough of what voters truely wanted to know. The questions just gave Mitt Romney and John McCain a platform to have a catfight.

Mike Huckabee had to fight to get acknowledged by Cooper. His answers were straight forward and not full of repetitive and self-centered nonsense, unlike some others. Romney and McCain were too busy talking about themselves and insulting each other and Anderson Cooper gave them every opportunity to ramble on practically ignoring Ron Paul and Mike Huckabee. I was undecided before the debate because of Guiliani's departure. I now will definitely be voting for Mike Huckabee on February 5th.

January 30, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  19. M Howford

Why did Anderson Cooper ask Romney hsi response to every question?

January 30, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  20. Sexy Mamma

I hope to get

JOHN EDWARDS AND HUCKABEE "IN"

January 30, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  21. John William

100% agree with this notion...........

here is my eval for tonights debate:

1. Huckabee
    2. Romney
    3. Paul
    4. McCain (painfull to admit= but being "straight")

p.s. I think the Governor will think twice about his endorsement..........

January 30, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  22. MIKE

YES, that is one thing I did like. States govern the way they see it . They do not need the feferal goverment sticking there nose into there business. If CA was a more strict standard in enviromental control that is their right. The federal goverment sets a standard and if Califoria wants to go above and be on it . So be it. If South Carolina wants to keep their flag, its their right to do so. So be it. If I did like like it then I would not live there but I believe each state has it own rights

January 30, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  23. Ron

I think that CNN owes Ron Paul and Mike Huckabee about 45 minutes air time!

January 30, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  24. waldteufel

Huckabee is a scientifically illiterate yahoo, and he wants a theocracy . . . .so he can tell YOU how to think.

January 30, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  25. Greg Rosenberger

I will vote for the first candidate, Demorat, Republican, or Independent who will address the fundamental issue surrounding our economy and our stature in the world. The national debt is currently $9.2 trillion and growing exponentially.

What we need are far fewer politicians and far more Statesmen.

January 30, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |