January 30th, 2008

Schneider: McCain uses Reagan against Romney

ALT TEXT

Ronald Reagan cast a long shadow over Wednesday night's debate. (Photo Credit: AP)

That was a good answer on Reagan’s legacy – he used it to introduce a very sly and effective reminder of Romney’s shifting positions.

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Jim

Bill we all know that you media people want McCain so that he can get his compromising butt handed to him by the ruthless Clintons. There is a reason why Bill Clinton wants to face McCain: he knows that he will be easily defeated.

We all see through your ridiculous bias Mr.Schneider.

January 30, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  2. Jorshy

Hey Lori - I'd like to add the word "particularly" to McCaines inability to articulate. He really needs to choose words he can pronounce. MAN! And we make fun of Bush?

January 30, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  3. Rob C

McCain is a liar. I hope February 5th voters see him the cheap DC politician that he is.

January 30, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  4. Brian

McCain's positions have "changed" on a dime for no rhyme or reason other that political expediency. If he was principled he would stand by McCain-Kennedy. If he is "correct" now and was "wrong" back then, his judgment should be seriously questioned.

January 30, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  5. Jared C.- Korea

Romney- You are the most qualified candidate. You have the experience, the leadership, and the morals we need to lead us.

We support you overseas! You are the man.

Go Romney 2008!

January 30, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  6. Lauren

I agree with Katharine! A man of few words proves to be VERY wise. I think Gov. Schwarzenegger is regretting having agreed to endorsing McCain - due to his nods and agreements throughout (the very few) comments by Huckabee and his conversation after the debate with Huckabee.

January 30, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  7. Kate Bloche

McCain should retire!!!

January 30, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  8. BMAC

Schneider, I am a Ron Paul supporter, and I couldn't give two CNN poll points what you say about any of the others, but you are coming off pretty biased. You really love bashing McCain. "More Puzzling Answers from McCain?" Is that fair? I guess you really want Romney to win. Funny, with a name like Schneider, I wouldn't figure you for a Mormon. You should treat McRomnabee equally. All three are weak. Ron Paul is the answer. You never even mention that he was there. Do "Edit...search" on your pages and Paul doesn't even show up! And you wonder why the college kids think there is a Ron Paul burying media conspiracy? Knock it off. Do your job as a journalist and report on all four candidates.

January 30, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  9. george k.

What really is starting to sicken me is all the 'Endorsements' McCain is piping on about- this just proves his insider status and that more of the same will be in store. America is at risk of stagnating folks – we cannot have more of the same. We need someone who has not spent their life in politics in the same circles. We need someone with real world experience and not just military experience. I am getting really tired of McCain's 'War Hero and "Look who just endoresed me" stance. Lets get someone in with real world ideas – Romney 08. Also – if you want a republican in the WHitehouse – it will never happen if McCain is up against Obama – he will not be able to compete.

January 30, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  10. zepbeck

Because McCaine has much to explain when it comes to his brand of coservitism

January 30, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  11. V

Yeah McCain really made a strong case saying Reagan would respect how John never flip flops on issues. Uh, does that include immigration senator?

January 30, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  12. Dan Fiske

It's interesting as the subjects get deeper, the other candidates quote and take sides with Ron Paul.
    Dan

January 30, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  13. charlotte

Was Ronald Reagan running for re-election? A Reagan love fest.

January 30, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  14. Brian

Didn't Reagan Flip on abortion prior to running for President similar to Romney? I'm pretty sure he did.

Does McCain think we are idiots??

January 30, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  15. linda

Get rid of Anderson Cooper. He did not handle this debate in a fair manner. He only concentrated with McCain and Romney. I am not surprised why Huckabee complained three times that he and Ron Paul were not given equal time to voice their opinion on other questions. This is not the way the debate should be handled. If Anderson wants to concentrate on McCain and Romney then they should not invite Huckabee and Ron Paul. These two guys deserve to be heard.

I believe that CNN did not handle this debate well. Anderson Cooper should not be given the chance to officiate the future debates.

The one who won the debate was Huckabee. He was very presidential in his thoughts on issues, ie. abortion, Iraq and the last question on Reagan's endorsement. He was the only one that makes sense by answerting that "he is endorsing Reagain on his beliefs and principles.

January 30, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  16. John Walker

How about the fact Reagan has supported Paul before and believed in the gold standard! Who was laughing at Paul in the last debate about that?

January 30, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  17. AJ

I feel that it was despicable the way you allowed the moderators to exclude half of the panel. If you just wanted McCain and Romney you should have had two debates. One for them and one for Huckabee and Paul.

January 30, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  18. zepbeck

McCaine is a RINO and eveyone knows it

January 30, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  19. greg

Rommey won the first 3 quarters and Huckabee the last quarter. Paul makes the most sense. McCain looked horrible. Being a prisioner of war does not make him the best candidate.

January 30, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  20. Whaddafxup

I just wasted the 90 minutes of my life watching this pitifull excuse for a debate.

I understand it's natural for debates to focus on the 'main' candidates, but this was just despicable. What kind of debate focuses 95% of the time on only two of the candidates? God forbid they talk about IMPORTANT things. But nope. I sat there watching the two 'main' candidates bickering over who said what?

Newsflash: We The People, don't care.

Show us all of the candidates views, the way you guys sidelined Huckabee and Ron Paul was just sad.

If this debate did anything to 'change my opinion' it was that I'm never wasting my time watching CNN debates again.

January 30, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  21. skyy

speaking of whose hand near the missile button.......i hope the general public who viewed this debate noticed what a hot head romney appears to be. talk about 'hot head'

January 30, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  22. Anonymous

McCain is really hurting himself. People are starting to see the real agenda behind his coments. I truly believe he may be going senile. In addition to that...there is a very fine between being pro surge and being pro war in general. He seems to be more the latter. That's a scary thought to have somebody who's as deeply inbedded in the thought of war in general, not just doing what it takes to protect our nation. He goes a step further. He's an angry man with what seems to be an angry and dangerous agenda.

January 30, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  23. Todd

Shame on you CNN! This whole debate is a sham as well as this so-called 'blog.' From what I can tell, you are doing everything you can to marginalize Ron Paul. If this is true (which it most certainly is), then are you are guilty of trying to directly persuade public opinion. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is not the role of the media. I am disgusted at the very prospect...

January 30, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  24. Phillip

Yes it was sly, but you know what is more outrageous?

This so-called debate was hardly a debate.

The "debate" was trivialized by questions meant to bait an onstage version of the Romney-McCain feud. For the love of God, when will a debate actually be a debate on substantive issues? CNN's handling of the whole process was an insult to us Americans who want to hear a discussin of the issues, of policy, you know, things that actually matter about a president. I applaud Ron Paul for pointing out the silliness of the argument between Romeny and McCain over technicalities.

To CNN I say stop trivializing the debates and creating front-runners for us. Do us all a favor and actually focus on the issues, not on petty meaningless arguments. Let us hear all the candidates speak with equal time. I was really looking forward to hearing all the candidates weigh in on the issues in turn, but that clearly is not as interesting now is it? God forbid, we might actually start to have a real conversation about politics.

January 30, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  25. Curtis

Romney's hypocrisy is appalling.

January 30, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |