January 30th, 2008

Schneider: McCain uses Reagan against Romney

ALT TEXT

Ronald Reagan cast a long shadow over Wednesday night's debate. (Photo Credit: AP)

That was a good answer on Reagan’s legacy – he used it to introduce a very sly and effective reminder of Romney’s shifting positions.

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. henry james

Remember excitable school yard fights attracting attention and attendance? Sadly CNN succumbs to the politics of titillation to corner a view of an excitable spectacle while those offering mature, broad minded contributions are minimized. No wonder John Edwards, Huckabee, and Paul feel the media is not paying attention to issues… it’s obviously more interested in simplified soap opera theatrics.

January 30, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  2. Ron

Actually, it was kind of a strange statement that Reagan always stayed the course when you consider Reagan was Democrat who changed parties to become a Republican. Everybody changes, the important thing is where you end up.

January 30, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  3. greg goodman

The U.S. electorate will not elect elect a Republican to the U.S. presidency even if She/He were God. Ronald Reagan knew he was not God, no matter how much some of his countrymen/women and media tried/try to make him into such.

January 30, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  4. Adriane

I am sick and tired of the moderators skewing the direction of the debate. Governor Romney has made valid arguments about his ability to steer the US economy in the right direction. Giving McCain another, and yet another chance to defend his archaic position is unfair and unjust to the other candidates. IF CNN has decided who has the Republican nomination, keep it to yourselves and let the rest of us decide based on the merit of the conversation.

Signed,
    a democrat interested in REAL discussion,
    Adriane

January 30, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  5. Jon

Romney has not shifted positions he has just become more conservative. I dare anyone tell me that they have never changed their mind on something. People grow and change and that is what Romney has done. If you can say you have never changed then you are a liar. McCain has flip flopped on dozens of issues over the years and no one says a word. Huckabee is a real nice guy but take a look at his record and compare it to what he says now. The only candidate that can beat Obama or Hillary is Mitt Romney.

January 30, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  6. Kandee, Wisconsin

Romney shouldn't have started anything but I can't blame him becuase McCain was underhanded and was dealing with symantics. PLEASE! Get your Facts straight. McCain is not who I want running the White house with his More Liberal views and his Horrible temper. If it's McCain or Clinton I'm not going To vote!

January 30, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  7. Josh

Oh. I just realized that this isn't even a real forum for voicing opinions. Thanks, Big Media!

Duh.

January 30, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  8. Keith T

Romney stated he wished he could have been in the armed forces. Why was he not?? Unless he was unfit to serve, WHY?

January 30, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  9. Taosred

Why is it when a liberal becomes more liberal that is great and not flip flopping?Remember when Al Gore from TN ran for the Democratic nomination the first time? Now go forward to the Gore Bush race? This was not the same Al Gore, but the press never said a word about what happened to the moderate Al Gore from TN.

January 30, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  10. VALINTINO CROSS

I am so grateful that I lived a life of two terms with President Reagan I think that all the candidates are paper dolls compared to such a great leader. It was like having Abraham Lincoln back from the dead. I think the debate was fitting to have at the Reagan Library to remind the American people where they are in relation to the times of Reagan. It made people more aware of Ronald Reagan’s legacy and what true leadership is meant to be and what should be cherished. If there were any leaders in tonight’s debate was Huckabee at the end he defined the entire evening by putting everything in perspective. All the candidates are looking after there own self benefit, Reagan truly loved this country I don’t see that in any candidate but Huckabee. And that is truly what is needed. God Bless Ronald Reagan and God eternally preserve the United States of America. Thank You for Everything… Sincerely, Valintino Cross

January 30, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  11. Josh

As a Democrat, the only Republican candidate I fear in the general election (and then only barely) is Mitt Romney. McCain has image problems, Huckabee is too easily painted as a religious zealot (though I don't think he is), and Paul, well, not worth mentioning.

Romney looks Presidential and that goes a long way with an aunt of mine. How many out there are like her? A lot, I'm afraid.

January 30, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  12. annette

Arnold/Terminator lost my support! I will turn the channel when he comes on. Has anyone noticed that McCain cannot answer any questions without throwing in his "I'm a war hero" speech?

I will not vote if McCain become the nominee.

January 30, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  13. Michigan Mike

During the Michigan primary, I voted for McCain. I had been a long supporter due to McCain's past efforts in D.C. However, having been more engaged with the entire process since the Michigan primary, I observed in tonight's debate and through the various comments that perhaps a person's past actions is Not the best guarantee of their future actions. Instead, I suggest that one should put more weight in character and position statements to select the next leader of the free world.

Tonight, I was genuinely impressed with Huckabee. I suggest that the Super Tuesday primary voters take a close look at this unlikely candidate. IF he eventually loses out to McCain or Romney, he would make a great VP.

January 30, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  14. Dusacre

For the first time I felt very bad for Romney. He is fighting a losing battle. It is too bad that he will not be the nominee.

January 30, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  15. Chris, Toledo, OH

"John McCain, and radical American extremism, will remain the biggest threat of the twenty-first century."
    -Ronald Reagan

January 30, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  16. C. Marie

McCain as an independent I was leaning toward voting for you in '00. But you sho looked smug tonight. You got a long way to the nomination and tonight I think you made it longer. You did not seem to be able to shoot straight tonight.

January 30, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  17. Bill B.

Romney handled himself very well against The smirking Mr. McCain. we all know that John McCain was a hero, and has been a senator for many years, and would put himself first for the country, etc, etc-But so would they all-All this proved once again was that MCCain was and is for the war in Iraq , and took the hard hawkish approach and has lucked out-But is wrong on immigration, which he does not like to talk about- see him dance to-night ! And he's obviously unsure on the broader economy issues. Huckabee took advantage of his shorter time on camera with some homey remarks, which made me wonder if he is a part-democrat. Romney sounded pretty capable overall, and looked presidential, which is not mandatory, but doesn't hurt. He has a strong list of accomplishments, and I think he helped himself at McCain's expense. But will it be enough to tighten the Feb. 5 races- with Huckabee splitting voted in many of the States, it is doubtful

January 30, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  18. Bob, Sanford, NC

It's a shame that John McCain is no better politician than he is. He can only speak of the Iraq war and has be out of the military and out of touch with the people of the USA way too long. The only thing he has going for him is that Fox News will cry a river the size of the Amazon if he doesn't get the nomination. Well Shawn Hannity eat your heart out because you and you network are supporting a loser.

January 30, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  19. Dan, Phoenix, AZ

McCain is a pathetic old man. How many times will he lie about taxes, immigration and Romney's support of the war. McCain is a Washington insider who is wrong on basically every issue.

He's dirty, surly and particularly stupid.

No Amnesty. The party needs to unite around Romney!

January 30, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  20. Dan Fiske

Why does the candidacy fear Ron Paul?

January 30, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  21. NickNas

Now that it has become close I made SURE I sat and watched this debate. I will preface this with the fact that I am an Obama supporter but not a get on the train recent one though.

I had to see McCain and Romney for myself and guess what......Both of them played it too slick for me...they are clearly from the same cloth as Hillary. It was funny when McCain was asked the same question THREE times and after giving a LOOOONG dodging non answer the first two times he was asked so that means NO? and he DODGES AGAIN!!! All he says is " I can go through the whole long explanation again if you want me too" If This is the Best the Republican party has to offer we are in trouble.

McCain IS Old fashioned Politics. He isn't even a good liar..he stumbles over his words and is so repetitive. The most IRRITATING thing he does CONSTANTLY uses that FAKE and Codecending Half laugh and " My Friend " Line all he time whe he talk to people like they are Idiots ( Just like Bush). I am SURE the puppetmasters who have been running Bush for the last 7 years are FULLY prepared to slip their hand in the back of McCains shirt as soon as Bush is out of office.

January 30, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  22. ham d

even though Ron Paul got less time, he clearly won the debate and again shows why he should be President.

January 30, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  23. Tyler

Romney was most definitely the most presidential I think. He was very straight forward.

January 30, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  24. ANTI CLINTONS

Dusacre, don't feel bad aboyut Romnry, he did good, insane McCain didn't, it isn't over.

Romney!

January 30, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  25. Monte

It really is disgusting that CNN has made an obvious attempt to select the next president for the American people!
    Please try to be more objective with the Democratic debate tomorrow night. Don't let Obama filabuster.

January 30, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |