January 30th, 2008

Schneider: McCain uses Reagan against Romney

ALT TEXT

Ronald Reagan cast a long shadow over Wednesday night's debate. (Photo Credit: AP)

That was a good answer on Reagan’s legacy – he used it to introduce a very sly and effective reminder of Romney’s shifting positions.

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. drew

For the first time, I realized how bad McCain really is. He is a dirty old man playing childish political tricks. Give me a break. Romney was by far the most understandable and intelligible. Huck also did great. McCain is fighting the losing battle. I hope he goes down quick.

January 30, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  2. Lori

Can't say more than unequivocally, Ronald Regan or my military career makes me the best candidate.
    So, out of all ppl going for the seat of President, no one but McCain is qualified? Hummmm, McCain....arrogance should be another word in your vocab-u-lary...

January 30, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  3. Hyrum

McCain & Obama are like father and son, thinking they know how to run our nation
    and really know nothing...

They ( McCain & Obama )can not answer to any plan they have for the U.S. because they have no plan..

I feel McCain is a old run down foot soldier boy still trying to play army,

O'h ya McCain can build FENCE..( I HOPE ) Maybe he can call in support.

Our great combat leader McCain should of already built a fence.

But If he was the great combat leader he says he is. then he would know he should give it up and go home..

He has never supported the soldiers in Irac. If he has what has he done...????

January 30, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  4. Thomas Richard

McCain appeared to be a mean, old man tonight. Periodically he seemed to lose his train of thought. Is that age related? The other candidates were sharp.

January 30, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  5. C

MCCAin is scary! Everything out of his mouth is WAR and MILITARY. I thought about supporting him if Hillary is the Dem nominee, but I would like to see someone else maybe Romney or Huckabee.

What is the Reagan Revolution and why should I care?

Obama 08

January 30, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  6. deborah holland

CNN proved itself to be sold out to everyone, but "we the people" Anderson Cooper stooped to lying to Ron Paul. I'm done with CNN's Anderson Cooper 360.

January 30, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  7. Brett

Can't anyone see that McCain is really a Democrat. If he wins, then we will have two Democrats running for President. Also, if McCain wins we might as well get ready for another Depression.

January 30, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  8. Derek

AGREE WITH MICHIGAN MIKE!!! I, too, voted for McCain in the Michigan primary ... however ...

If McCain gets the nomination, it will be Bob Dole all over again ... I like him, don't get me wrong. However, it will be a seemingly washed-up person against a young, vibrant, well-spoken Democratic nominee ... whomever that may be!!! Bob Dole vs. Bill Clinton all over again...

January 30, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  9. feralgirl

McCain and Romney were popular in Florida because of the seniors. Not to worry. By November a percentage of those seniors will be dead.

January 30, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  10. tiffany

endorsements? that is BAD NEWS. from a political scientist, endorsments mean bureacratic politics and favors, favors, favors, not what is best for the country. The fact that Romney is using his own money is a GOOD thing. It means he won't be forced to make poor decisions to appease people who supported his campaign.

January 30, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  11. Gail

Huckabee won for sure. Even with so much less time! He shows he can and will fight for us, the people.

January 30, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  12. Tom

It's official. I won't watch CNN anymore. Your reporting is biased and small. Anderson Cooper is a lightweight who not only couldn't phrase a question in proper English, he wasn't prepared. Terrible and I demand better. "Would Ronald Reagan endorse you? Way to go Anderson... get back in the sandbox.

Rick
    Port Orange, Fl.

January 30, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  13. Jacob

Funny. I'm pretty sure I remember Raegan shifting positions before beginning his term.

Good old McCain, trying to sneak every possible way in to try and do some dirty damage to someone is more qualified.

January 30, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  14. GB

I am a republican for Romney. I want someone for President who is ethical and don't appreciate McCains tactics of lying and slick talk. After all, we have had that with the Clintons in office for too long! Vote for change, America!!

January 30, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  15. Susan

McCain constatntly lies about people's quotes and misleads them. He can't stand and defend his record because it's a horrible record.

He was also part of the Keating 5 ( a MAIN member) who almost took out the savings and loan industry, which are usually to help the average citizens of America.

He was let off the hook before people found out his wife's father paid over $400,00.00 to Keating for a strip mall. John "stragiht talk" McCain denied even knowing him. Look all this up on google and find the HUNDREDS of articles on this scandal. For the average american indeed...so I can just get richer!

He lies about Romney's record, he lied about Romney"s tax increases ( check factfinder..they were not increases.)

As an economics major from a small liberal arts college in Michigan, where former President Ford the trustee, I will always vote for either the Democratic or Republican party's best plan for the economy with a proven track record.

Regan, Clinton, and Mitt Romney have taken bad situations and turned them around in the long run. Sometimes, as we learn in Econ 101, to keep the business going, we have to lay off employees. Watch the screen on CNN, and see how many companies are still shedding empoyees. Regan and Clinton were some of the best economic minds to come along. We now have another one, and the press is just letting these lies slide right on by.

Shame on you for unbiased reporting.

January 30, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  16. Proud American

Lauren, while I understand your viewpoint, I respectfully disagree. Huckabee has done plenty of mud-slinging in the previous weeks and months – and he's done it in the name of his "Christian faith." I find that offensive. I have yet to make up my mind on which candidate to choose on Tuesday, but I applaud Romney for calling McCain on his dirty political strategy in bringing out the "timetable" issue only days before a key primary election. If he disagreed so strongly with what Romney said so many months ago, why not say so then? Instead, he waited until Romney was neck and neck with him, with Romney gaining in popularity. Then, he pulled the rug right out from under him. Romney had every right to demand some time to set the record straight.

I've followed the events, candidates, and news coverage of this election very closely for several months. None of the candidates are perfect and they've all done their share of "dirty politics," but after combining what I learned tonight, with everything I've gathered to date on ALL of the candidates, I'm leaning towards Romney. He truly has the most well-rounded qualifications (i.e. business leader, governor, and Olympics Chairman) and seems the most "Presidental" leader of the bunch.

January 30, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  17. Dan Fiske

Deborah Holland, Please elaborate!

January 30, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  18. Chris, Columbia, SC

Reagan was about as much of a dimwhit as Bush is. Why would these guys place so much importance on Reaganess?

January 31, 2008 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  19. Dave C - N.J.

If Reagan would endorse you, I would not vote for you.

January 31, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  20. Mick

I feel badly for Mike Huckabee and Ron Paul. They are left on the outside of the party even though they have some viable contributions. Why? Because it is obvious from the primaries and caucuses thus far that the majority of the people are voting for McCain or Romney.

Why can't John McCain articulate his true positions without bringing up his past service as a war hero, or the radical Islamic terrorists? Why can't McCain present himself as a true leader of the people without presenting false quotes and misrepresenting what Romney actually said? Why can't McCain act like a presidential leader? Why doesn't McCain admit that he has swtiched his position multiple times and "flip-flopped"? Every one of us flip-flop in our opinions of things, especially as our understanding of circumstances changes! Why can't John McCain really unite the Republican conservatives? Because, McCain is hiding like the wizard of Oz under a cloak of secrecy that he really doesn't have any idea how to guide this country unless we are fighting against the radical Islamic jihad.

Romney may have his faults, as does every candidate, but at least he has the proven ability to organize and lead people to accomplish those things that seemed mired in quicksand. I fear for this nation if we don't elect a person with strong moral values, strong family values, and who is willing to forego the presidential salary in order to help this great nation. It's not about the money, it's all about the man. Vote Romney in 2008.

January 31, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  21. Shawn

So, is Bill and CNN going to risk their reputation's upholding McCain like this?

January 31, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  22. Tommo

Brett wrote: January 30, 2008 10:24 pm ET

Hey Brett,in case you did not notice,we are already in a Depression.The Republicans have bankrupted the country the past seven years.We have to be constantly borrowing from Foreigners to keep this country afloat.Maybe 10% of the Military Budget has been spent wisely under Bush.Those idiotic Neo Cons have ruined this great country.Bush has made the citizens of most nations despise America.I`ve visited 20 countries in the past 5 years and know what I`m taking about.Go back down to your hole and stop your inane nonsense.

January 31, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  23. James A. Garfield

I endorse...you guessed it...Mike Huckabee.

January 31, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  24. Linda

Can CNN include a column in their "Election Center 2008" which lays out the past accomplishments of each candidate? I.E. What did they promise when they were governors/senators/etc....and what actually transpired for the American public during their term(s)?

All presidential candidates love to tell the American public what they will do if they were elected president. They were all elected to an office in the past...what exactly did they do in the past...both positive and negative...

Isn't it true that when we apply for a job....we all get judged on our past accomplishments?

January 31, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  25. Jason S.

What's really going to be interesting is seeing how the candidates performance in the debates translates into any votes on Super Tuesday.

Or, at the very least, if it budges McCain's lead in the polls. With 2 consecutive victories (South Caroline & Florida) every pundit in America is crowning McCain as the pre-eminant Nominee for the Republican Party.

With this much momentum, can McCain be knocked off his pedestal?

Conservatives may talk a big game but come November they may have to make a difficult choice between voting for their core values or voting for who can best beat Hilary/Obama.

January 31, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |