January 30th, 2008

Schneider: Romney makes a sale on health care

Romney’s giving a pretty interesting conservative explanation of a health care plan that otherwise makes conservatives nervous. As he explains, it forces people to pay their own way - which they get.

- CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. martie

fine....so those who can pay their own way, and what happens to those who CANNOT pay their own way Senator!!!!

January 30, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  2. john s.

I'm a Federalist like McCain. If Gov. Arnold throws his support to the McCain campaign, how will that effect his position on illegal immigration?

January 30, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  3. Mike

Gee, is there a doctor in the house? Oh, yeah, Ron Paul is, why not ask someone who actually knows somehting about health care and health insurance?

January 30, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  4. john s.

Willard "Mitt" Romney might be an accomplished businessman, but his ideas are inplausable on a national basis. They sound great (just like a good business plan), but because we live in an environment controlled by self interests governed by greedy pigs in DC, his plans could never be executed.

January 30, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  5. Daniel

To: Martie

What happens is you have more money to give health care to those who actually need it. Make sense to you now? LOL think before you speak.

January 30, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  6. Kate

Romney was disingenuous – the people who can afford health insurance will not get "free" care at an emergency room–they will be charged and sent to collection if they don't pay.

January 30, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  7. Dave T.

john s-

You don't think there are greedy pigs in business? You don't think Romney's run into this as a governor? He was brought in to take care of business in one of the greediest scandalized sporting events... I think he'd manage. It would be a refreshing change to have someone who actually cared instead of pandering to the pigs.

January 30, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  8. Adam

I thought Romney explained health care very well. He was trying to prevent free loaders from having tax payers pay for someone elses health care. If people can not afford the insurance, there are still government programs that protect them as well.

January 30, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  9. Daniel

Kate-

True but there will be very few of those people because people who NEED state insurance because of their low income will be able to have it and those who CAN buy insurance will or will be forced to pay for their visits which is the way it should be. I'm a person for example who NEEDS state insurance because I had a liver transplant and my medications are 3k+ a month. I know if there is less people getting FREE visits and FREE state insurance who don't need it then those of us who do need it will have better care. At the same time if I could pay for my meds/visits I would oh ya and at the end of each year I have an evaluation that costs 20k. If you get insurance and can pay for it YOU SHOULD. Try getting me on an insurance company that will take care of my needs.

January 30, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  10. Jon

Martie: He said he wants to make health care more affordable, so more can get it. Frankly, I don't want to have to subsidize those who profess being unable to afford health care, but have the money for HD TVs, 2 cars and 400K homes...

January 30, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  11. Marti, San Diego CA

Thank you, Bill. Once again Romney demonstrates how powerfully he was able to integrate his deep knowledge of business with Conservative values of belief in free market solutions and individual responsibility.

Wake up Republicans! This is a major reason why Romney can beat the Democrats in November. Their biggest "new idea" is healthcare. Where they talk and speculate and hope, Romney has already done it. He takes this issue away and leaves them with nothing to talk about except how bad Bush is. Guess what? Bush isn't running and Romney wasn't part of the mess in Washington over the last eight years- McCain was and he hasn't a clue about economics or healthcare. I've never even heard him utter the words healthcare.

January 31, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |