January 30th, 2008

Schneider: The night's big winner: Huckabee

Huckabee, I think, stood out in this debate as the one who made sense, talked as ordinary people do, and rose above politics. They may have scored. He connected. And that’s a problem for Romney, who would like to become the alternative to John McCain among conservatives who oppose the Arizona senator. But he has very tough competition from Huckabee, who’s forcing people to re-think his run at a time when he was supposed to be out of the game.

But this has always been the way he’s worked: Romney uses money to stay competitive. Huckabee has debates.

Full story

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Mark

Exactly, Ron Paul means nothing to any news station. You also failed to mention the 1000+ Supporters outside as well for Ron Paul. Another sad story from CNN

January 31, 2008 03:24 am at 3:24 am |
  2. Fred, TN

The establishment is afraid of Ron Paul. Freedom is a powerful message.

January 31, 2008 07:58 am at 7:58 am |
  3. Trannon

Who cares about Ron Paul?

He ain't going anywhere, people.

January 31, 2008 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  4. Eric

It looks like the CNN moderators let the Ron Paul crazies thread jack this topic.

January 31, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  5. Bryan N

Guys.. Face it.. Ron Paul gets little air time because he is out of it. He has no chance and is only up there for his 15 minutes of fame.

January 31, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  6. Tom F,

I saw the poll someplace on the net and it said when I saw it that RON PAUL had only 77 percent of the vote. That is why he is not mentioned in the post debate articles. No one likes him and he has no chance to win.

John Mc Cain had 4,9% of the vote and that's why he is electable.

This must be a golf match.

January 31, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  7. gary

Ron Paul, given no time to answer ,wont the debate hands down.
    Huckabee has started appropriating some of Dr. Pauls ideas to score points.
    Both McCain and Romney are scary war mongers.

January 31, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  8. Jessica

I thought there were 4 candidates left. Way to, once again, forget Ron Paul. Ron Paul is the only person who knows what he's talking about. He's the only one who's consistant. He's been a politician a long time. He has very good ideas, and I think if he were allowed more time to speak in these debates, more people would understand what he is all about. Dave: Why is he not qualified to serve as president?

January 31, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  9. Pete

This was the first republican debate I've watched, and I was pretty disappointed that Ron Paul kept getting shafted on airtime. I didn't really know anything about the guy except that he seems to have an intensely loyal following; honestly I thought he was just some nut job who got people riled up. He changed my mind tonight. Watching the debate, he only got about 5 minutes (or less) of time to talk, but made more sense in that short time than any of the other candidates. At one point Anderson went down the line asking all the candidates the same question. He cut off Ron Paul halfway through his first sentence! then proceeded to let the other candidates explain their positions. Horribly biased coverage.

I know a vote for Paul is probably a waste since he doesn't poll higher than 10% anywhere, but I think I'll do it anyway just so I can live with my vote.

January 31, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  10. Kristen

It is alarming how biased these debates were. What shocked me most was Anderson Cooper, and how he repeatedly cut off Ron Paul. I used to love Anderson, but now I see him for what he is....a puppet of CNN. And CNN is working their hardest to shut out Ron Paul. This is a DEMOCRACY, and we should have the choice to pick who WE think is right for the job as president! How can we choose wisely when not everyone has a chance to tell us why they would be right for the job?

Ron Paul deserves more airtime. He is a worthy opponent to Huckabee, Mc Cain and Romney. GIVE EVERYONE EQUAL AIRTIME!

I could do without the bickering between Mc Cain and Romney, half of which didn't even make sense!!! Anderson, why didn't you cut THEM off?

January 31, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  11. Harve A

If you had Ron Paul in a one-man debate you would televise 90 mins of silence? Give me a break

January 31, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  12. Johnson Blah

Huckabee supports having the Confederate flag flying in South Carolina. He also supports changing the constitution to fit the bible. I don't know about you but about 70% of Americans would disagree with one of those 2 things.

January 31, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  13. Elizabeth McDonald

Media may think it is a 2 man race, but I am behind Huckabee even more now! The people will decide. Go Huckabee!!!

January 31, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  14. Khwaty

Dr. Ron Paul was the one who made sense last night. He speaks the sentiments of the American people, he was right on the money.

January 31, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  15. Christine

Huckabee won the debate. It is not as the media is portraying – a two man race.
    Huckabee is a contender.

January 31, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  16. James A. Garfield

Wow! I'm now voting for Huckabee. Forget about McCain.

January 31, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  17. Dominic

Ron Paul is not a serious candidate, use your head.

January 31, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  18. DOC- ROCHESTER, MN

JUST HOW MANY PEOPLE WERE SURPRISED THAT RON PAUL AND HUCKABEE WERE PRETTY MUCH KEPT OUT OF THE DEBATE LAST NIGHT?
    NOT ME ! WHEN RON PAUL IS LEFT TO GO AGAINST MCCAIN, WILL HE GET MORE TIME ? PROBABLY NOT. HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL BE UPSET WHEN DR. PAUL RUNS AS AN INDEPENDANT, PULLS VOTES AWAY FROM THE MEDIA DARLING , MCCAIN, AND HILLARY OR OBAMA WINS THE PRESIDENCY ?
    SCARY THOUGHT ! ALL BECAUSE THE POWERS THAT BE WON'T GIVE EQUAL TIME TO THE ONLY CONSERVATIVE RUNNING . THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS THE BEST INTERESTS OF AMERICA, RON PAUL !
    KEEP UP THE FIGHT!!!!

January 31, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  19. patrick

CNN's coverage of the debate was very poor, and they should be ashamed of themselves. Why didn't they just give McCain and Romney a sandbox to play in??

While my favor goes to Paul over Huck, I was very disappointed by the amount of time both of them received. It is sad to see the lack of objectivity and true journalistic spirit in CNN today. Please allow the other canidates to speak!!

January 31, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  20. Troy Sheppard

CNN Debate? It was more like a school yard scuffle!

“Mitty” and “Johnny” sure know how to get attention in the school yard (media)!

I can hear FOX, Rush, and Clear Channel standing around saying, “Punch Him Mitty”… “Hold him down Mitty boy”! Them CNN, ABC, CBS, and Ted Kennedy say, “Kick him back Johnny”… “Knock his lights out Little John”! How childish you all are!

Governor Mike Huckabee and Representative Ron Paul were the only civil MEN in the CNN debate. And, WOW, what a close by Governor Huckabee! I hope and pray the American people will look through the school yard tactics put on by the Media and their school boys and take a fresh look that the real men in the debate.

If you want school boys, vote for Mitty or Johnny. If you want a Wise, Dignified, Articulate, Conservative, Reagan-like President then the clear choice is Governor Mike Huckabee.

January 31, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  21. Pete

This was the first republican debate I've watched, and I was pretty disappointed that Ron Paul kept getting shafted on airtime. I didn't really know anything about the guy except that he seems to have an intensely loyal following; honestly I thought he was just some nut job who got people riled up. He changed my mind tonight. Watching the debate, he only got about 5 minutes (or less) of time to talk, but made more sense in that short time than any of the other candidates. At one point Anderson went down the line asking all the candidates the same question. He cut off Ron Paul halfway through his first sentence! then proceeded to let the other candidates explain their positions. Then all the debate "analysis" completely ignores him. Horribly biased coverage.

January 31, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  22. Samantha

Susie C if you can be that easily swayed by a Republican who only panders to voters you were never a Democrat in the first place. Check out his discrepancies when he was governor of Arkansas. Huckabee is no different than the rest of the bunch, he just hides it better.

January 31, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  23. Joyce

Yes, Mike Huckabee is the ONLY one out there who is really talking any sense regarding how a leader responds to the tough issues that are facing this nation.

The "Mc-Mitt Show" last evening was anything but a debate. The powers that run the networks are still trying to control the people and spoon feed them with the man who "they" want in the White House – the man that the "money brokers" know they can control and purchase. Are "We the People" going to stand for that?

NO, we are not.

We want and deserve a righteous man – one who as the good of the people in mind. Gove Huckabee is a proven Leader so let's get out there and vote Mike Huckabee as the next leader of this still "free world" while we have the opportunity.

Mike Huckabee has NOT changed his stand. He is a humble man filled with wisdom, common sense, good judgment and most of all Self-control. Leadership. Integrity – MIKE HUCKABEE!

He's our man for the White House! MIKE HUKABEE 4 PRESIDENT!

Bowden's in Florida

January 31, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  24. Canton 4 Huckabee

Huckabee was the clear winner of the debate. I agree that Ron Paul would make a excellent choice for VP. Oh by the way to answer the question, Yes Huckabee can and in fact has walked the walk. Took a state that had a deficit and turned it into a huge surplus. Was the first Govenor in his state to have tax cuts, education in his state rose dramatically, employment numbers were good, he valued life. He is the clear choice for president, not the bitter old man, not the snake oil salesmen, and Ron Paul just does not have enough "name recognition" to be relevant. Sadly that is what politics is about, a popularity contest. But Huckabee is the one that could help to change all that. Go Huck!

January 31, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  25. Greg

Ron Paul may not win but he will get my vote....Surely not McCain the war monger

January 31, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |