January 30th, 2008

Schneider: Unfocused, but interesting answer from Romney

It’s not clear exactly what Romney’s talking about – but there’s an interesting idea somewhere in here. It’s the most intellectually interesting answer I’ve heard this evening: that there are four strategic visions in the world: Russia, China, Al Qaeda and the United States. I’m not sure I understand it, but it’s worth thinking about.

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Chris Riggs

Romney has a vision and is able to communicate that.

January 30, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  2. BigMowma

I would like Romney to address the fact that Mormons think they have a right to search death records and "baptize by proxy" dead people into the Mormon faith....Talk about an invasion of privacy!!

January 30, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  3. Tom

Bill, maybe you just admitted you are not intellectually prepared for analysis of Mr. Romney's words. Perhaps I should send in an application. What do people see (intellectually) in McCain other than his long career of political nothing and a 50 year old war record

January 30, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  4. Mike

It is, but there's actually six: he forgot South America and Europe. (Australia tends to go more with the UK than anyone else.)

January 30, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  5. Lamont

I find it disappointing that Rommney and McCain are receiving a majority of the time during the debate. Huckabee and Paul are being short shrifted. The polls may suggest that Huckabee and Paul have no hope of winning but that does not mean they have nothing important to say – especially in contrast to the front runners. I would rather that Ron Paul and Mike Huckabee have not been invited to the debate rather than seeing them snubbed the way they are tonight. In the spirit of a real debate, America deserves better than simply hearing the opinions of the front runners.

January 30, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  6. Scott

An interesting point - A great book to read is "Clash of Civilizations"

January 30, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  7. Alan Fisher

Re: Romney's 4 world visions. Fine and dandy – but does anyone know what the vision of the United States is? Surely not spreading democracy – as we support very undemocratic regimes – such as Saudi Arabia – to the extent of stationing troops there to protect this regime against any group at home that might want to introduce democracy.

January 30, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  8. Nylor

I certainly hope that tomorrow night that we get straight answers from both candidates. I'm really disappointed that there's no followup in asking for straight answers. Very unusual moderation tonight.

January 30, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  9. Brad

Romney is doing the only thing that he knows how to do. Something that he learned from the Bush campaign in 04 and also something that is echoed by McCain. It is a platform based on fear. Neither care that the fear is unfounded but they hope that fear will pervade logical thinking and make people vote for them.
    How many times can they invoke fear before people start to realize that it just is not there.

January 30, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  10. Michael

Nevermind the EU, India, the OPEC nations, the UN, or the many other strategic visions out there. That just confuses too many people.

January 30, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  11. alex newton

McCain is ready to be Secretary of Defense but not the President!!!!!!!

January 30, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  12. Rafa

Mr. Schneider:

I am life-long Dem and do support a leading Dem. But, regardless, I feel that if we shut down the Ron Pauls of the world the quality of our political debate suffers.

I truly believe that AC is doing CNN a disservice by being so biased against Ron Paul. If you study the tape of tonight's debate you will find that he was not very fair to him.

You are a political commentator of the highest gravitas – why doesn't CNN have you moderate the debates?

Between the non-sense of Lou Dobbs and this obvious bias against non-leading candidates I'm seriously considering moving on to MSNBC.

Please talk some sense to the nattering talking heads!

January 30, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  13. Avis

I'd sure like to see the media give ALL candidates equal time. Romney and McCain were given the most time and all they did was speak negatively about each other and argue. People are fed up with this type of nonsense. As far as I am concerned Ron Paul is the one who won this debate as he spoke straight to the issues, that is when he was allowed to speak with Mike Huckabee coming in second as winner.

January 30, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  14. Michael

Civil? Can it be said that any serious candidate for President be percieved as civil in this highly contentious election. What truly csn be said of this debate is that Romney and McCain are sparing for the uber-conservative. Romney wins hands-down in my opinion; however, how realistic is pseudo-conservatism in America today!

January 30, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  15. bg

that's the best point I've heard yet from Danielle. There is a very fine between being pro surge and being pro war in general. He seems to be more the latter. That's a scary thought to have somebody who's as deeply inbedded in the thought of war in general, not just doing what it takes to protect our nation. He goes a step further. He's an angree man with what seems to be an angree and dangerous agenda.

January 30, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  16. Brandon

Most intellectually interesting answer *if* you choose to ignore the most intellectual candidate, much like has been done in the debate. The greatest threat to our nation is not foreign; it is the disastrous monetary policies which we have embraced at home. Our fiscal irresponsibility threatens to cause our economy to collapse on itself, and only the call to return to traditional, constitutional principles like those proposed by Congressman Paul are able to permanently remedy the situation.

January 30, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  17. bg

that's the best point I've heard yet from Danielle. There is a very fine between being pro surge and being pro war in general. He seems to be more the latter. That's a scary thought to have somebody who's as deeply inbedded in the thought of war in general, not just doing what it takes to protect our nation. He goes a step further. He's an angry man with what seems to be an angry and dangerous agenda.

January 30, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  18. Russs

I believe that Romneys response framed the world briefly to create a context for his point. that point being that our efforts to promote the philosophy we hold is paramount as it rubs up against the others...(three of which he mentioned) I find the previous comments by Huckabee treading on patriotism with religion. I have not felt that is the case from Romney.

January 30, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  19. David Harris

My problem with the debates is that the ones controling them seam to be unable to keep all of the canidates included in the discussions. I am very undecidede and I would really like to here from all of the canidates on all of the issues, not just McCane and Romeny and I really do not appreicate the CNN teams inability to allow all of the canidates to atate their views and what seams to be a never ending attempt to create something worthy of headlines between who they consider to be the front runners. Maybe the front runners are being decided not so much because of the poles but because of the CNN teams inability to control the debate and allow all of the canidates to voice their views on all of the questions?

January 30, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  20. Mike

I would rather have a man for President that is against going to war without an approval from Congress.

January 30, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  21. Ron

Not?
    Yes, Clinton Scams Millions $$$$$$$

Open your PC front page.

In the web search bar type in, " Clinton Donors Overlap " Press Search.

Read the 10 Minute “New York Times” article.

Bill Clinton”
    How to Scam, Con and Steal and get away with it legally.

Thanks, Ringneck11

January 30, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  22. chuck

Hey, Rafa, did you say the same thing when Ralph Nader crashed your party?

January 30, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  23. Jose Mora

Point #1: It is an OUTRAGE that CNN is allowed to insult the intelligence of the American people with this blatant censorship of Ron Paul.

Point #2: It is an OUTRAGE that CNN is allowed to insult the intelligence of the American people with this blatant censorship of Ron Paul.

This is off the charts. We DEMAND a clock and equal time for each candidate. This is the kind of disenfranchisement that makes people blood boil.

Is this Belarus?

Is this Uzbekistan?

Is this Venezuela?

Is this Turkmenistan?

HELLOOOOO!!!!! There are FOUR candidates present not TWO. Thats FOUR -- F-O-U-R. CNN has lost all credibility.

January 30, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  24. ward hicken

I think your bias shows. Your views are exposed by your comment and your not an objective person, your opinions have so much slant to them.

January 30, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  25. David Harris

I'm having a real problem with that constant smirk on the face of John McCain. I'm also getting tired of the "prisoner of war" and the "I fought for my country" statenents. Being in the military and being a prisoner of war are commendable and I for one appreicate his service to this great country. However I looking for the new preisident that this country so desperately needs, and being veteran or POW does not make someone a great president. Funny, I don't seam to remember Jack Kennady ever once run his ordeal up the flag pole.

January 30, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |