January 30th, 2008

Sources: Schwarzenegger in talks to endorse McCain

ALT TEXT

Schwarzenegger is in talks to endorse McCain, sources say. (Photo Credit: Getty Images)

SIMI VALLEY, California (CNN) - Two Republican sources familiar with the conversations tell CNN California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger is in discussions about endorsing John McCain's presidential bid.

Two Georgia Republican senators, Saxby Chambliss and Johnny Issacson, also have committed to endorse McCain. That announcement will come in the next 48 hours, according to two GOP sources involved in the planning.

As for the California governor, one of the sources said, "you can safely describe the conversations as progressing and productive."

The second source described the endorsement as "more than expected" and said the conversations were aimed at arranging a Thursday announcement. "Yes, that is the plan," this source said.

Separately, a campaign source described McCain's fund-raising as "beginning to flow more rapidly" in the wake of his Florida victory, reporting the campaign would raise more than $1 million at events in California scheduled around Wednesday's CNN Republican debate.

UPDATE: In an interview on The Situation Room, Schwarzenegger seemed to indicate he would not endorse a candidate before California's February 5 primary.

"I've always said that I would stay out of the whole thing of endorsing anybody until our primaries are over, so I think that's exactly what I'm going to do," he said.

Pressed by CNN's Wolf Blitzer if it was right to assume he would not endorse before February 5, Schwarzenegger said, "Well, no, I just say that at this point I have nothing to announce, and so I'm sorry to say - I know you want to get the information and get the scoop, and CNN should have the first scoop on something like that, as is of course clear to me, but I have nothing really to announce today."

– CNN Chief National Correspondent John King

Filed under: Arnold Schwarzenegger • John McCain
  1. faboo

Oh yes, I can only hope that our tone deaf and ineffective governator sinks McCain't with an endorsement. Please oh please let Arnie do one thing right for once.

January 30, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  2. NickNas

...........as long as you amend the constitution so I can get a shot ole buddy...(wink wink)

January 30, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  3. Travis, Spokane, WA

one RHINO endorsing another RHINO

January 30, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  4. Margarita

the terminator is not in good shape in California soo it matters little who he endorses. All of the issues that we recalled Davis for are back and multipled. Healthcare just went down in flames and he has been impotent with turning the ecomomy around.

He also has said that we need to five illegals amnesty soo much for the terminator who will shortly be terminated himself... there is a ground roots effort to recall him as well...

from one cadaver to another. they deserve themselves.

January 30, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  5. Texas Tea

SWartsTheNagger will just establish himself as another Southern White Supremacist supporter...

am so disappointed in Florida. And Republicans in general. I guess the Republican Party has died and been “born again” (eh, Huck?)… as the Neo-Lieberal Partyquais Francais of Southern AmeriKKKa. Sad. Truly lame.

I didn’t think we as a party were so blindly stupid as to fall for McHucKKKainuhBee’s bald faced slander and lies about Fred Thompson and Mitt Romney. I at one time would have supported whichever candidate got my party’s nomination against the Demoncrap Party in November. After seeing the sliming oozing venomous underhanded traitorous treachery undertaken by the loving-couple/tag-team of McKain and HicCabee I am left just feeling sickened. Once I used to support McCain (I always knew Hickuhbee was a liar), but now I can’t stomach the sight of him or even the sound of his angry bigoted lying voice. I remember when REPUBLICAN Senator Larry Craig (HETEROSEXUAL by the way, and a CHRISTIAN, FAITHFULLY MARRIED, HETEROSEXUAL at that) of VERY conservative western Idaho fell victim to a Liberal cop’s set-up in a bathroom when he was taking a DUMP for Christ’s sake in an airport restroom. He was NOT GUILTY, and has always proclaimed his inocence. There was never any proof offered up by the Liberal cop. Larry Craig was crucified by ALL the leftist press and the leftist Demoncrap Party. The ONLY “Republican” JOINING IN ON THE HATEFEST??? Yup. The LIEberal, John MCCAIN. McCain has always had a burning hatred in his heart for Mormons. Larry Craig was/is a Mormon, just like Mitt Romney is. Convenient??? Hardly. Remember the anti-Mormon Christmas card routine put out bu McHuckUhCainuhBee et al??? Yup. The two bigots had common “enemies”…Mormons, and Conservative Republicans. McHuckuhKainUhBee is a hard core Leftist Cooperative effort to destroy the Republican Party from within. Clinton/Huckabee/Arkansas/Illegals/Higher Taxes/Graft/Corruption/McCain/Huckabee/Clinton famliy friends and political allies.

GOOD Westerners, Idahoans, Mormons, Conservative Republicans, Christians, and HONEST people all over CONSERVATIVE, WESTERN, AMERICA are SICKENED by the dishnest, repugnant, two-faced, backstabbing, slight-of-hand, and INTENSELY bigoted campaigning undertaken by the McHuckKkainuhBee TAG TEAM

To make a long story short…If my only choice for my Republican vote in November is any combination of MuckHainuhBee I will either just stay home or go to the polls and place my vote regarding local issues and write in Mickey Mouse for President. I am that disgusted with the MuckCainUhBuckUhBee odd-couple.

January 30, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  6. Jones

Stop Nader !! Eight years of bush disaster is enough !! Cannot afford another republican mess !!

January 30, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  7. Carl

The California budget is billions in debt. Ahhhnold is not too popular right now.

January 30, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  8. Mike Allen

On the Glen Beck radio show this morning, Glen came un hinged over his buddy Flip Romney losing in Florida. He called Mc Cain an SOB and cursed several times while whining like a baby. Glen has complained in the past why anyone would question his Christian Faith as a Mormon. After this mornings ugly scene on his radio program I think lots of people will question his Christian Faith and not because he is Mormon.

January 30, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  9. johnunger

It really doesn't matter who endorses John McCain. If he wins the nomination, the democrats will have an overwhelming victory in November.

January 30, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  10. Kim Lee

LOL Hey Texas Tea. I think you have been drinking Mushroom Tea and Hallucinating. Larry Craig is Gay and people have known it for years. I do not care if he is married and claims to be Christian (Mormon). He is Gay and is a hypocrite for Gay bashing while being Gay himself. Liberal Cop is an Oxymoron. A Cop busted a Gay guy for perverted acts in a restroom period. If Craig was innocent he would have fought it from the git go instead of trying to keep it quiet. You say you will vote for Mickey Mouse if Romney's not the candidate. If the two faced Flip Flopper Romney who promised to bring all the Auto Factory jobs back to Michigan ( more shroom tea ) gets the nomination then I will vote Mickey Mouse. So.... Mickey gets one vote either way.

January 30, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  11. TnVet

Mike, what about peckerhead beck shutting down that Bronze Star Vietnam vet decorated by Goldwater the other night? I would love to see them go at it, but candybeck ain't showing up for no fight. Like oxycontin Limburger ,juice freaks shy away from a real fight. How is it these strong supporters of our military always found some hole to crawl into when ,like mittyboy, it would have really shown the type fighters they really ain't.

January 30, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  12. Pat M

I used have respect for Schwarzenegger – not any more.

I think it's time for these endorsing sway voters nerds to get another hobby. Preferably one that has a bit of dignity.

Endorsement from High Profile Americans do nothing to sway voters. If you need an example, Oprah should suffice.

Go back to running California Arnie that's enough to keep you busy without any extracuriccular activities.

January 30, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  13. luggar

All endorsements for McCain are welcomed.Hillary and Obama have gotten their share.Let the Games begin.2×2 until summer and then we peons will have our say.Spend that rebate on what your hearts desire!! if we get it?

January 30, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  14. Cat, Costa Mesa, CA

How disapointing. Govenor, California can do better than McCain! But no matter how you vote, mine stays with Romney!

January 30, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  15. Bradley Schaubs, Greeley, CO

Don't do it, Gov. Schwarzenegger! Either endorse a Democrat, or don't endorse anybody!

January 30, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  16. Mark, Louisiana

I can NEVER vote for LIBERAL McCAIN.

It's hard to think of Obama or Hillary as president, but I can't vote for a liberal like McCain.

Mitt: keep going, we're behind your conservative stances 100%.

January 30, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  17. GLid

It's Johnny Isakson, not Isaacson

January 30, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  18. Ryan, GA

Mike Allen,

Baptist are the biggest bunch of hypocritical foul mouths there are. Don't start calling someone not Christian because they cussed. If you do that you'll have to go and put the entire Baptist Church on your list.

January 30, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  19. GLid

It's Johnny Isakson, not Isaacson.

January 30, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  20. JC Naples FL

I am a staunch republican who will be voting democrat if McCain is the nominee. McCain as our candidate almost insures that the dems take the WH. McCain is a liar America. What is it that I am missing????

January 30, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  21. California

Schwarzennegger, McCain....basically names in lights on Hollywood Hills.
    Anyone who has lived in California understands Schwarzneggers pandering to Democrats is similar to McCains. They could be: Twins. Since 2004, Schwarzennegger has done nothing after losinig propositions and then pandering to Democrats. Schwarznegger is a good actor, here's to big names that do nothing for the country.

January 30, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  22. Alophonso

I agree 100% with Kim Lee. Texas Tea has been drinking the wrong kind of tea, and sounds like they even may be a Mormon. When are we going to drop this "Religion" question about Huckabee? Don't you hear the man when he says that he has spent more time as a Governor than a preacher?.....or do you think he lied about that too? McCain IS NOT going to win this election without the
    South, and the win in SC is not a good indicator. Wait until Super Tuesday, then put your Vote where your mouth is!

January 30, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  23. Laurinda

Well now, Arnold is endorsing John McCain that ought to sew it up. One fool endorsing another fool. Arnold should have stayed in movies,he was much better at that then being a governor. The way both of them talk it makes you feel like yanking the words right out of their mouths. Marble Mouth and The Geritol Man!

January 30, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  24. Matt

Texas Tea,

I do hope you realize that any credibility you may have had is completely shot with your juvenile name-calling.

January 30, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |