January 30th, 2008

The Gipper Ticker

WASHINGTON (CNN) –In Wednesday’s Republican presidential debate, there was a sense of Ronald Reagan in the air, and it wasn’t just because of Air Force One in the background. Place four Republican candidates on stage in Ronald Reagan’s library, and the former president’s name is bound to come up at least once or twice. In Mitt Romney’s case, he referenced the former president nineteen times.

The Ticker kept track of how many times each candidate mentioned Reagan’s name:

Mike Huckabee: 7

Mitt Romney: 19

John McCain: 8

Ron Paul: 3

- CNN's Alex Spanos

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. D Jenkins

I haven't been counting just the anme Ronald Reagan, but John McCain has been dropping names all evening.

January 30, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  2. john pantangelo

I ccan't believe the american people can vote for McCain when he said he new nothing of economics. We are in an economic crunch and these idiots are backing a person who won't help this country economically, i give up?

January 30, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  3. talmis

Romney is worst than Reagan!
    Romney is the ultimate flip flopper. Reagan was genuine and unique in all the ways imaginable even when he was wrong, he stood for his convictions and ideas.
    Romney voted to boost stem cell research and supported it before he was elected as governor and then he shut the door to the researchers as soon as he got seated in power... ..ASK THE MIT SCIENTIST ABOUT IT !!

He will do whatever is needed to get elected...if he wins the republican nominations with the argument that he is the conservative alternative of the republican party I am pretty sure he will change that immediately to get votes for the general election...he will say that he is moderate and a uniter....

Good looking, a lot of blurb, and whatever it takes to get elected...

January 30, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  4. Chris

This country is falling apart and your question such as What do you see when you look into Putins eyes. Give me a break. This is not a debate about issues it is an arguement between Romney and McCain. How fair is this debate? Ron Paul (when asked a question. which is far and few between) is the only one making any sense.

Chris

January 30, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  5. Kathy Wolfe

I do not feel CNN has been fair in letting all candidates speak during the many debates. Ron Paul is the only candidate that speaks the truth and for some reason, that is not allowed. Instead, you let Romney and McCain argue about a war that is illegal and everyone knows by now it was based on lies. Why would anyone want another war monger president? I also cannot believe how MCCain and Romney completely disrespect Ron Paul and try to make him out like he's crazy. They sit there and smirk everytime Ron Speaks. That's what deceivers do though, they ridicule and make the truth look silly.
    This is unbelievable and I'm very dissapointed with your coverage. It seems to me that the media has pretty much tried to determine who our next president should be. That is not your role, you should be fair to all candidates. It's the same thing on the Democratic side. The media picked two and the rest of them just don't seem to matter. This is not a democracy.

January 30, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  6. Bonnie

Sick of hearing questions being asked of Romney and McCain. Want to hear more of what Ron Paul has to say. Ignorant and unfair to spend time only of some. Ron Paul has hit the nail on the head everytime he has been asked a question, what a shame more time wasn't spent on Paul and Huckabee. It's time to bring America home....

January 30, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  7. Marc

Who was counting on this last question?

January 30, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  8. Brad

I honestly believe that 2 of the 3 canidates are infatuated with Reagan. Romney sounds as if he has a man crush on Reagan.

January 30, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  9. Chris

How about giving Ron Paul more than three opportunities to speak or just allowed a one word rebuttal.

I'm leaning more toward Paul & huckabee simply out of spite.

I'm starting to think after reading more & more of these blogs that Americans are getting tired of these types of corrupt practces.

Straighten up!

January 30, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  10. KCS

I agree with Joy, This race is not over and everyone deserved the right to speak an equal amount of time. i blame the interviewers! They know better!

January 30, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  11. Mike

I agree with Schneider above. I believe Ron Paul has some good points. We have all seen our Constitutional rights fading fast.....IF HE COULD SPEAK and get a word in edge-wise. This election is gonna make me sick I can see it now.

January 30, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  12. Chris

Wasn't Romney running for senate / or house as a candidate "more liberal" than Kennedy while Reagan was president (or shortly after)?

January 30, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  13. Kim

McCain is immature, has a short temper and lacks a certain amount of intellegence. This is a lousy quality in a chief excecutive... I think he is doing a good job schmoozing. I hope the American people can see through this. Romney would be an exciting, intelligent, and inspiring leader.

January 30, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  14. jen m

That was a DEBATE?
    I thought it was a Romney, Romney, Romney.
    Thanks for nothing.

Plus, why did you let McCain and Romney continue so long with that childish rant on he said he said.
    You Did!
    Did NOT!
    You Did!
    Did NOT!

Like babies.

January 30, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  15. Mike

Now that I see what they just did to Ron Paul...I changed my mind ...I am voting for Ron Paul. I'm not letting the media tell me who to vote for ....I feel like I am having Romney & McCain shoved down my throat!

January 30, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  16. John

Reagan Turrets?
    How many times can you say it?
    He was not a hero to a lot of us.

Three out of four guys fighting to say they will keep us in a war 65% of us DO NOT WANT.

Only Ron Paul is worth listening to.

Sad he did not get more air time.

John

January 30, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  17. John

Thinking about it more...Hope Obama will reach out to Ron Paul, there is a role for him in an administration of big ideas and people who actually think.

John

January 30, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  18. David Peters

They really need to show the time given to each of the candidates on the screen. That way we would all see how badly Ron Paul and to a lesser extent Mike Huckabee was shortened. Come on CNN... what was the point of having them on the panel if you weren't going to be fair?

January 30, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  19. David Peters

January 30, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  20. Ron

Not?
    Yes, Clinton Scams Millions $$$$$$$

Open your PC front page.

In the web search bar type in, " Clinton Donors Overlap " Press Search.

Read the 10 Minute “New York Times” article.

Bill Clinton”
    How to Scam, Con and Steal and get away with it legally.

Thanks, Ringneck11

January 30, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  21. Casey

Is anyone else sick of hearing "Reagan Reagan Reagan"? Maybe I'm too young (25) to appreciate all that "Reagan" had to offer during his presidency, but honestly I don't want to hear historical references repeatedly in a debate. I am not trying to demean Reagan in any way, but I want to hear less about him and more actual debate on the issues. Instead, we're left with candidates throwing out Reagan references and bickering over who said what and when, and very little actual 'debate'.

January 30, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  22. Sally

I agree with so many of you! Ron Paul deserves a chance to speak! The same for Huckabee. Paul has been ignored in all the debates. You would think that McCain and Romney are the only ones on the stage. As long as they haven't dropped out of the race, they need to be heard.

January 30, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  23. mr.fair tax

god bless reagen, rest in peace!

January 30, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  24. V

Ron Paul does not have to pander by mentioning Reagan's name. He follows much of Reagan's philosophy and was one of only 4 in congress who actually endorsed Reagan. The only reason the others have to mention Reagan so much is the same reason they have to hire "image makers". They have to sell themselves as something they are not.

January 30, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  25. OBAMA4EVER

The GOP pool of candidates is just deplorable...i mean cmon these people actually support the failed policies of the Bush Admin (aside from Ron Paul)...if any of these people get in the white house i might just have to move to Guam; however cliched that may sound.

January 30, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |