January 31st, 2008

People meter: undecided Democratic voters weigh in

Voters reacted to Thursday night's debate in real time.
Voters reacted to Thursday night's debate in real time.

(CNN)—Thursday night’s CNN/LATimes/Politico Democratic debate was a historic event not only because the field has narrowed - leaving a choice of an African America or a female Democratic nominee - but because Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton appeared to have called a truce. The two seemed to combine their efforts and threw their punches at the Republican Party.

Immigration, healthcare and the war in Iraq took center stage at the Kodak Theatre. All the while, a group of undecided male and female Democratic voters reacted in real time to the candidates’ responses.

The red line graph represents voter approval or disapproval of their responses as the debate progressed.

Overall, 60 percent of the undecided voters weighing in thought Clinton showed more strength Thursday night than Obama. However, they did feel Obama did best on the topic of Iraq.

People meter: Watch Obama and Clinton battle their healthcare packages

People meter: Watch Obama discuss his plan to curb illegal immigration

People meter: Watch Clinton discuss her Iraq war strategy

People meter: Watch Obama pitch his plan to handle foreign threats

Related: CNN's Erica Hill reports undecided voters had the strongest response over criticism of the Republicans

–CNN's Emily Sherman

1. WIsconsin

I will vote for McCann before another Clinton. You can bet your life Obama and Michelle wont serve with the Clintons, ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 1, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  2. Karen, Jersey City

For those who say Hillary won let me translate that for you.... you WANTED her to win however Obama won hands down!

February 1, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  3. Washington Democrat

Great debate-both did well, but Hillary clearly came out on top. She sure knows her stuff. She'll make a fine president.

February 1, 2008 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  4. carol

Did tou all hear how she explained the 35 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE? Please give me a break.

February 1, 2008 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  5. Greg, Houston

It's hilarious to watch both the parties this year do everything they can think of to lose. Rush and his moronic "conservative" cronies continually bash the only Republican (McCain) who has a snowball's chance in hell of getting a single moderate independant voter. (thank god that they seem to be losing that fight) The Dems seem to want to put the most hated "politician" outside of Bush up there – Hillary. It doesn't matter what she says in a debate, most people don't really care anyway – if she's the nominee it will positively energize the Republican base to defeat her, and half the dems will simply stay home or switch over for McCain. (I almost think that Rush wants to see Hillary win, which may be why he's attacking McCain so hard – nothing pads ol' Rush's wallet like bashing on the Clintons)

I'm an independant, I hate the Bush administration, believe this war was the biggest mistake of policy in our history, and generally lean democratic the last few years. But nothing in this world can ever get me to trust a single, solitary word that comes out of Clinton's mouth. She's an opportunist and a carpetbagger and the biggest poster child for the ME-generation. How anyone can't see right through her is a bigger mystery to me than how Bush got re-elected.

If you're really interested in having a Democratic president, you have to vote for Obama. A vote for Clinton is a vote for McCain – not that I'm particularly saying that's a bad thing, but I think a lot of Dems might disagree.

February 1, 2008 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  6. alexander N Jyrwa

I maybe far away from america but its a nation I admired the most. I have always followed and watch every debate, Hillary is exceptional and she is undoubtedly the Best that America have as of now. She will fair well and and I look forward to her Visit to India as America's First Women President. I am so proud of her.

Keep it up HILLARY. JOB WELL DONE madam President

Alex

Shillong, Meghalaya
    India

February 1, 2008 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  7. Independent

These Clinton fans make me sick

Its unreal how you see her as the best candidate....

Lets go for a CHANGE America and give the guy who obviously has better judgement (which blows her campaigns message of experience).

The Clintons are SHADY!!!!
    And how can you vote for a person who voted (and knew she was voting) to send kids to Iraq to be killed????????

Obama 08'
    For Unity
    For Realistic Issues
    For Belief in our Country

February 1, 2008 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  8. rose, texas

I was a Hillary supporter but after today I am going for Obama. What made me come to that decision is the striking refusal of Hillary to acknowledge a mistake on her vote to go to war. She tried to reason and spin and that really irritated me. Why can she just say I was wrong? It gave me a question; will she be honest with American people if elected president? Will she tell the truth? Will she admit a mistake when she makes one?

On the other hand I saw a different with Obama he was very honest in his answers. He didn’t try pander, but answered the questions very straightforward.

Sorry Hillary but I have shift Camps!

February 1, 2008 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  9. PHILADELPHIAFREEDOM

WOLF BLITZER IS SO INCREDIBLY BIASED. AREN'T THE MODERATORS SUPPOSED TO BE FAIR? I'M A REGULAR CNN WATCHER AND I'VE NOTICED HIS TENDENCY TO MISINTERPRET AND SUMMARIZE WITH A BIASED SLANT IN FAVOR OF CLINTON. TONIGHT, HE AGAIN SHOWED THIS BIAS IN THE WAY THAT HE MISCHARACTERIZED OBAMA'S COMMENTS AS "SWIPES" WHEN OBAMA MERELY CONTRASTED HIS RECORD WITH CLINTONS. BUT HE DID NOT USE THE INFLAMMATORY TERM "SWIPE' WHEN CLINTON CONTRASTED HER RECORD. USING THE TERM "SWIPE" HAS NEGATIVE CONNOTATIONS, THAT IS WHY BLITZER CHOSE TO USE IT DELIBERATELY. BLITZER'S ABILITY TO MODERATE AND/OR REPORT FAIRLY SHOULD BE EXAMINED CLOSELY.

February 1, 2008 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  10. pat

She won the debate. Let me put it to you this way if you need a heart surgen do you go with a resident or do you go with the cheaf of cardiac surgery. He needs more experiance and I dont think that the white house is the place to get that experiance.

February 1, 2008 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  11. Rae Ang

Go Hillary! I so pray that she will be our next President. Mark my word, we will not regret it!!!! She will steer our country into the right direction. She will do it right on day one!!!!

February 1, 2008 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  12. Celine

Obama is a leader. Hillary is a sloganeer. She is a professional politician looking to get back in the White House for self-serving interests.

Obama is more humanistic and caring. He is a leader ready to make change for all of us. America would be making a serious mistake if we lose the chance to elect Obama. He is a leader you can only find once in a generation.

I am going with Obama.

February 1, 2008 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  13. Jeff an Independent

What a laughable question – will they run as the other's VP!?

Of course not. Barack has much better judgement than that. If he asked her, it would kill his chances in the general election. If not, he'd have to live with her!
    If she asked him, she will lose with or without him, and then he's become part of her old machine and his leadership tarnished. Of course not!

February 1, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  14. Kemic

I really do hope and pray that people are pretending to be stupid and aren't really as stupid as they make themselves seem. I hope I make this clear. Obama was against the war. Clinton wasn't. We went to war. Obama voted to fund the troops. THEY WERE AT WAR, IDIOTS!!! Does anyone really suggest he should have voted to withhold funding to our troops? Heaven help us. Take sides without understanding the issues if you must but don't try to cloud the issue for everyone else.

JUDGMENT IS IMPORTANT!!!

OBAMA '08

February 1, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  15. Oscar TX

Go Hillary

Your thoughts and focus on Health Care, Immigration and Education are great ideas. I support

If Obama wins I will go REPUBLICAN .......Go Hillary

February 1, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  16. Atobra, MN

I think Hillary was more presidential and more confident than Obama. And i think She will be the very best president of the two of them.

February 1, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  17. JohnArk

Great job by Hillary. She and Obama both made outstanding points. I'm not here to point out who picked on who. It was just very nice to see them both answering the questions that most of us want answers to.

Hillary 08 or Obama 08. I'm a true Democrat and will Vote for one or the other....I will NOT vote Republican, like some of you fake Democrats have stated you would do.

They both proved tonight that either would be great Presidential material. I hope the rest of you feel the same way.

Johnathan
    Little Rock, AR

February 1, 2008 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  18. John

serving as first lady does not constitute experience for President, sorry it just doesnt. Perhaps its enough to be president of some social action group, but not for the position of the most powerful person in the world. Let's be real people, the only policy work she did was health care and that failed miserably. Otherwise she was making photo ops with world leaders while holding some flowers. Experience? Please

February 1, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  19. Mr Genius

I watched the debate, and I feel Obama, is not the Man, He can't stand on his own two feet when it comes to debates, He's gotta Learn to lead not follow, Alot of Blacks in our town is voting for him only due to his color, WRONG, I want experince, I VOTE FOR HILLARY, If she can't do it No one can HILLARY HILLARY YEAHHHHHHHH HILLARY

February 1, 2008 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  20. MARYLOU JONES

HILLARY CLINTON, NEXT PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES! WOW! SHE WAS RIGHT ON TONIGHT! OBAMA IS JUST NOT READY YET. GO HILLARY!

February 1, 2008 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  21. Bacusla

I HAVE JUST LEFT AN OBAMA'08 GIG IN NORTHERN CALI & I WISH EVERYONE HERE COULD HAVE BEEN THERE. THERE IS A GREAT WIND OF GENERATIONAL CHANGE BLOWING IN OUR POLITY & NO AMOUNT OF PANDERING OR SPIN CAN SLOW THIS WAVE. AS YOU GO TO BED, START THE PROCESS OF RENEWING YOUR MIND TO RECEIVE A YOUNGER GENERATION INTO THE WHITE HOUSE.

February 1, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  22. Asians in Chicago for Obama

Asians in chicago support Obama. Please folks disregard the first ignorant writer. He doesn't speak for Asian Americans, and doen't seen to understand American politics.President Obama has been honest and straight forward from day one. He is smart and focus. Hillary and Bill lie for political purposes. Hillary collects money from Washington lobbyists, and flip flops on several issues.

Asian–Americans for Obama 08.!!!!

February 1, 2008 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  23. DW

Other than the questions on healthcare and economics Hillary Clinton did not answer any questions. Sure she did a lot of talking, all around the question. She was totally evasive on the vast majority of the questions that were directly addressed to her. She was quick to responded to the answer that Obama gave to his questions but could not answer her own. She talked around practically ever question, much like our current president does. How anyone can say Hillary won the debate truly needs to go back and watch it again or read the transcript.

February 1, 2008 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  24. Jennifer, California

Hillary is an unelectable candidate. She's made too many enemies, and even the Democratic party is fiercely divided about Hillary. There is just too much baggage. I'm not saying that's fair, it just is what it is.

If you vote for Hillary on Tuesday, and she comes out as the democratic candidate, it will mean another four years minimum of this same craziness, as John McCain will be our next President.

Are democrats honestly ready for four more GOP years? Four more years of kids getting killed in Iraq? Four more years of spending trillions of dollars? Throwing good money after bad? Meanwhile, there would be no improved healthcare, minimul improved adherance to the constitution, and the VP he chooses has moderately good odds of slipping into the presidency? The gridlock alone will become an institution!

Please think this vote through to the end. Okay, you like Hillary. I understand why, and agree with you on many points. But whether we agree, or I like my candidate more than yours is irrelevent.

Please Hillary fans, we can't take this risk. If Obama makes huge misteps, we can oust the man in four years, but if Hillary becomes the Dem candidate, then you KNOW what President McCain will do. She can't win... PERIOD. Even Hillary herself will not address this issue with a substantive answer (regarding her polarity)

Are you REALLY, TRULY willing to let that happen? Another GOP President? You are willing to take that risk? Really?

Please look at the big picture, I beg you. We ARE ready for a woman President, but Hillary Clinton is not that woman.

Barack can win, he is electable, and if he goofs, we can fix the mistake and you get a HUGE "I told you so." But if you are wrong... we can't fix that and may lose this one opportunity to actually BE the greatest nation on earth once again.

February 1, 2008 03:54 am at 3:54 am |
  25. Marie

Those two are too scarey for words. Our nation will certainly be in peril. The illegals will rule and the Islamo fascists will rule the Middle East as soon as they know the timetable. Where is the question on their pro-abortion stance? After all, our founding fathers held that "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" were the number one issues. It will be a sad day indeed if either Hillary or Obama become President. Just as I cried when Bill Clinton came into office, I will be very sad if either Hillary or Obama are elected to office. It will probably be another dirty tricks campaign as the primaries seem to be.

February 1, 2008 03:55 am at 3:55 am |