January 31st, 2008

Schneider: A convenient civility for Clinton

ALT TEXT

Schneider: Clinton is vulnerable on the issue of Iraq. (Photo Credit: Getty Images)

It took more than an hour for Iraq to make a real appearance, other than Obama’s brief mention earlier. Once again, Clinton is pointing out their similarities – but this time, it’s a necessity. She’s vulnerable here.

Among Democrats, Obama always wins on this issue. His position is clearer, and he has far less baggage.

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Rich

Hillary has performed in a stellar way the entire evening. Entire, that is, until Iraq came up. As she started her response to the first question on this subject, for some time, she was unable to make eye contact with anyone. She couldn't look at the questioner. She couldn't look at the audience. This is one of her weakest subjects.

January 31, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  2. Tory

Hilary is doing well with this - I believe her –even if I don't like her

January 31, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  3. Tarelton

His consistency on this issue speaks to his character. He does not succumb to political pressure. He takes a stand for what he believes is good for the country and will only change his stance after he researches and gains additional clarity. He then communicates such change. He does not waffle based on popularity or political pressure.

January 31, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  4. gary barbour

Forget the war. People are tired of it. The conservative talk shows today could not stop talking about 'Supreme Court Appointments' that come with this election. Potentially 3 of them, commanding the majority of the Court. Is there a question in here for Wolfe??

January 31, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  5. By Rees Hundt

Its is clear to me coming in as a Hillary supporter who I will vote for. I was blown away by Borack Obama..He looks so much presidential. Hillary looks like she is so much in pain, I dont get it. O well I made my choice, hillary lost my vote.

January 31, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  6. Charlie

Is she incapable of saying 'I made a mistake"?

January 31, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  7. WOW

She is tapp dancing around the Iraq questions really, really, bad. Obama can sit back and just look great when the war comes up. He thought about it first before he voted to go to war. Smart thinking Senator Obama!

January 31, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  8. Scott

Obama lacks realistic experience about foreign policy enough so to fully understand the position he is taking.

Ask Obama what he'll do when one of his "makes people feel good" ideas is rebuffed by lawmakers. What will he do then??

January 31, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  9. Sandy

How can Hillary contend with her "tainted" political past ,so carefully executed by President Bill Clinton, to clear her vision and lens for the future?

January 31, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  10. RONALD COLEMAN

OBAMA NAIL IT RIGHT ON THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 31, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  11. LeGrand P. Salvant

Regardless of their position on Iraq, it is a lost cause. Bush has started a war that was lost before it began. I would not vote for anybody based on that you are going to move out of Iraq right away. It is a scorny issue.

January 31, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  12. Clinton Debate

is it me or do most of the questions tend to go to Clinton? CNN I would like to hear from Senator Ohama from time to time.

January 31, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  13. Patrick

Once again, political correctness is Clinton's leaning post. Leaders take a stand and suffer the consequences.

January 31, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  14. Ben

Plus her past votes about Iraq and the war don't help her either.

January 31, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  15. Tim

far less baggage? because he don't have and baggage to take. Which means less capable to carry on the responsibility. shame on him, shame on you, Bill Schneider.

January 31, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  16. Edgar Wesche

Wrong, Bill. Both have a reasonable, practical and intelligent approach which is not different in any measurable way.

January 31, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  17. Edmund Muskie

I think Hillary should be the Secretary of State instead of the Pres.

January 31, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  18. caryn appel

Barak is being run over by Hillary...she is putting him in the vice presidential slot...she has changed her strategy from attack to friendship agreement...and where oh where is Bill...did she leave him at home?

January 31, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  19. Heidi

I'm very impressed with this debate so far!!! Much better than the republicans going after each other. I was and Edwards supporter so I now have to make a choice and this debate is very helpful.

Do we dare have a Obama/Clinton or Clinton/Obama ticket?

Heidi in Connecticut

January 31, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  20. hawkeye0202

Again Hillary does not answer the specific question re her voting on Iraq.Her answers sound like campaign stump speeches.

January 31, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  21. Ryan Von Rembow

She was definitely dancing around the finite withdrawal date question. I've been stuck in training command for almost two years, I hope they don't withdrawal before I get a chance to get over there and help out!

January 31, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  22. Tracy

Can someone please send Wolf Blitzer a message to quit baiting the candidates to snipe at each other. They are conducting themselves in a dignified manor and he keeps trying to get them to name call

January 31, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  23. eboughey

I disagree that she's vulnerable. What is her vulnerability? That she has "baggage"?

I believe she has a more truthful answer. How do you give a definite timetable when there are so many issues surrounding it? It's going to be complicated and I believe Hillary Clinton is in a much better position to extract our troops and protect them at the same time.

January 31, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |