January 31st, 2008

Schneider: Clinton running from the past

She’s arguing that she supported the threat of force as a means of avoiding conflict. That’s a complicated case to make – and it still leaves the question: why did she think President Bush had the same judgment she did?

But here’s a new angle she hasn’t used before in these debates: that she would never have contemplated an invasion of Iraq. It’s another way of trying to draw a distinction between her views and the president’s. She’s running from the past.

–CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Pat. O

Clearly, Hillary now cannot justify her support for the war. She did it then to ride along with the then rising popularity of Bush in the polls. It shows that she will do or say anything to get ahead. On this issue it is clear she is running away from her past

2. magie

I respectfully disagree. I was against the war, but when I see Hillay, despite the fact that I did not agree with her then, I think deeply she understands the implication, and I do believe that she has faced and acted upon it. Her record in the senate demonstrates this point. People who thoughtfully learn from the past, they do not run from the past.

3. Michael Farrah

This simply proves her inability of making a right decision. It shows she may not have a proper judgment. I believe she is week pretending to be strong. She is indecisive and is pretending that she makes proper decisions.

4. Sandee

This is more like fixing it after the fact. She on one hand said she has more experience and in the next sentence she says looking back I would do it differently. I did not know all the facts. I thought Bush meant something else. Come on people. We are not that slow.......

5. simone

EXPERIENCE HILLARY. I guess experience doesn't mean judgment. JUDGMENT V. EXPERIENCE

6. mazmo

Why are neither Clinton or Obama bringing up the point that fighting Terrorism is not a military issue but rather a Police issue. John Kerry made this point quite well in the 2004 election.

7. Steve

She has a lot of past to run from.

8. Traci

She should stopping trying to SPIN everything.

Just say she blew it!

9. BNS

Your bias is showing!

10. colleen

barack the cashbah

11. Zach G.

Wolf, that question was poor. You don't throw out your neutrality and enter in to accusing the candidate. You're the moderator not the judge.

Between Wolf tonight and AC last night, I've seen some of the absolutely worst debate moderation that I've seen on a national stage.

12. angela

In full disclosure I must state that I could not support senator clinton because of issues of integrity and character .

However for the first time as I listened to both she and barack it suddenly dawned on me that she is out of her depth.

This experience case that she has been trying to make for the past few months have finally had the spotlight shone on it and there is nothing there – it's really just a mirage.

I really feel better now because I now am fully confident that my selection of Barack Obama is the right choice on all fronts.

13. Jhon Estes

O Bama is right, the Commander in Chief needs to be right the first time

14. Erin

I agree that Clinton is skirting a lot of her questions with rhetoric and no clear answers... sounds a lot like the "politics" we are used to... what happen to change??

15. Samuel T. From Arlington, VA

I think Clinton looks weak talking about the war. She fumbles!!! She talked JEBER JABER when asked about the war in Iraq.

16. Paul

Senator Clinton voted for the Iraq invasion, which did two nasty things: skirted around the whole Constitutional notion of Congress explicitly declaring war, and, imho, further strengthening the power of the Executive branch, which has reached scary proportions to date.

Senator Obama wins this one, I think, in his opposition from the get-go.

17. Esther

Why was Clinton not able to make a judgement about George Bush and the Neo-Conservatives fantasies about Iraq? She bought into their view of the Middle East by authorizing the invasion. Now she is shifting the blame to Bush. She should have known and seen who he was and what he was up to! That's the judgement issue.

18. wynn

she can run but not hide from this issue

19. Joseph de Maistre

Of course she is. The questions is whether it will work.

20. thirsty1102@yahoo.com

True.... never heard that argument before. She lost me when she had to clear the record... then never cleared the record.

Interesting that "neive" was the exact thing I was thinking when Wolf asked if she had been neive to give Bush the power!!!

January 31, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  21. Ravi

Yes..I agree...She is just repeating the obama's answers !!!

January 31, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  22. Ray

I guess this is a Obama site now.

January 31, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  23. Lorraine

Bill............do try your hardest to keep your opinions to yourself. We're not interested in knowing what they are.

January 31, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  24. tom

Why doesn't anyone ask them why they failed to act as leaders when they both waitied till the outcome was determined before voting on war funding?

January 31, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  25. Betty

No she is not running from the issue as you state. I think as she has said she

was misled. As for Barack I think he is a great candidate but he needs more experience and I would lik to see her the President and him the Vice-President,
    let him get some experience and we will have a democrat running our country
    for the next sixteen years.

January 31, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |