January 31st, 2008

Schneider: Clinton running from the past

She’s arguing that she supported the threat of force as a means of avoiding conflict. That’s a complicated case to make – and it still leaves the question: why did she think President Bush had the same judgment she did?

But here’s a new angle she hasn’t used before in these debates: that she would never have contemplated an invasion of Iraq. It’s another way of trying to draw a distinction between her views and the president’s. She’s running from the past.

–CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Tony

Wolf's attempt to bait Hillary is an example of poor journalism. Asking her if she was being naive was totally unprofessional and not something I would expect from a reporter as experienced as he is.

January 31, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  2. evelyn

seems like all the bloggers are correct, Bill you are definitely an Obam supporter. Once again he is dodging the question and going on and on and on and on.

January 31, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  3. mglatt

So Far, Obama had one almost good shot with Iraq. Anything else????

January 31, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  4. L. Rainer

Clinton Obama Ticket; Obama CLinton Ticket; Obama that was a GREAT answer!!!

January 31, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  5. Al

I am a NYS Hispanic voting for a PRESDENT FOR US ALL!! Please America VOTE for Barack Obama!! POSITIVE change is here with him.

January 31, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  6. Mike

Go Hillary!!!!!!!!!! The "cackle" is back!!!!!

January 31, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  7. Chuck Sweatt

running from the past ... what? Can we look at the future? Experience can move us forward. Could you know everything, every detail?

January 31, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  8. K8top

I think it is unfair on question of judgment to say he would not have voted for the resolution when he did not have the opportunity or the same responsibility that she had to her constituents.

January 31, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  9. RC Lewis

I am a democrat from the south and I was for the war at the time. President Bush put Collin Powell on the TV and Mr. Powell reported that Iraq had WMD's. At the time we as a country were still in shock from 911 and wanted some type of vengance for the over 4000 lives lost on that horrible day in September. So i can understand her voteat the time. Haven't we all made a decision and come to regret it later. She was doing what she thought was correct at the time.

January 31, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  10. Allen

Stop supporting Obama. Everyone can clearly see that CNN including you are supporting Obama. Do you mind showing us the bad aspects of Obama? I'm sure his past isn't perfect either. Stop endorsing Obama.

January 31, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  11. Anonymous

hillary clinton will win 2008 election

January 31, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  12. Tom Keith

Hillary continues to show the face of convenience.

January 31, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  13. Mikki

It appears that Bill Schneider just doesn't care a great deal for Hillary. I thought the media was to be mutual. What happened?

January 31, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  14. L. Rainer

I knew she would agree, how could she differ? Now it's We!

January 31, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  15. davismsouthdakota

hill's agreeing with obama ...wow–

January 31, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  16. KJM

How about we come home from Iraq as a winner.

Proud that we helped a country run by tyranny for generations. It is a fledgling country.

The USA was not built by the signing of the Declaration of Independence.....that was the BEGINNING in 1776.

We did not even have a Constitution until 1787! And we had far less people to bring to a consensus!

January 31, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  17. Stamford

CNN, please hire some real journalists. Are you a tabloid or a legitimate news agency?

January 31, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  18. Chris

CNN has gotten to the crux of its agenda....a Clinton/Obama ticket. Make no mistake, this is what CNN wants. That is why the question was asked.

January 31, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  19. Jeremy

Lets please make Obama president.

January 31, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  20. Cathy Hosner

She's running from the past???? Give me a break, Schneider.......stop nit-picking. Just report the facts; end the bias.

January 31, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  21. Barbara

Obama gave one speech in 2002 against the war in Iraq. Then nothing else happened. He even took the speech off of his website. When he went to the senate he voted exactly like Hillary. Now he is trumpeting this ONE SPEECH as his opposition to the war. GIVE ME A BREAK. If this is his example of his great judgment I am supporting Hillary.

January 31, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  22. Percy

I am now confident of who my choice for President of US.... HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON. She is the best prepared to be President. Bush took us to war, not Hillary. Had Hillary been our President she would have followed Osama to the hollows... not to Iraq.

January 31, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  23. Murad GHOLI

I want to ask a question to all the people and the leaders of america that if America lost all the money of the tax payers into wars and so called american diginity, who is going to pay for america while america would have nothing and tax payers will be poor and country will be in lots of debts and lossess???

January 31, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  24. EJSoto

This debate has been the decisive factor for me between Sen. Clinton and Sen. Obama. Never before has it been clearer for me than I can trust Sen. Obama to make the best decision under pressure. I cannot say the same for Sen. Clinton, nonetheless I believe it is not a matter of ostracizing one of the two but rather finding the one candidate that holds the most promise. I have stopped caring for experience, I am now definitively concerned most about my presidential pick's ability to decide correctly on the issues present and pending.

January 31, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  25. Pat. O

For a self proclaimed the more experienced candidate on day one, she seem to agree with everything Obama said

January 31, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |