January 31st, 2008

Schneider: Clinton running from the past

She’s arguing that she supported the threat of force as a means of avoiding conflict. That’s a complicated case to make – and it still leaves the question: why did she think President Bush had the same judgment she did?

But here’s a new angle she hasn’t used before in these debates: that she would never have contemplated an invasion of Iraq. It’s another way of trying to draw a distinction between her views and the president’s. She’s running from the past.

–CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. paul

hillary scares the hell out of me

January 31, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  2. JohnS

LOVE HILLARY!!! "It took a Clinton to clean up the first Bush and it might take a Clinton to clean up after the second one!" Slam dunk! Hillary is brilliant tonight!

BUT it took the SINS of the Clintons to keep the Republicans in the White House for 8 solid years..

Clearly OBAMA won this DEBATE!!!

January 31, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  3. Paresh

Just saw th debate. Good questions overall. Clearly Obama is making a stronger case as distinguishing himself as THE candidate while Hilary is presenting a more agreeable side. One thing I found completely disturbing about the debate overall is that how representative of America is an audience filled with a 'Who's Who' in Hollywood????

January 31, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  4. Angela

People check this out Obama is the man he is the choice Also Clinton is not the choice right now. People in the middle east do not respond to women Obama will be the man to make change in that area I feel that by Obama being African American will be the man to mend fences in the Middle East and around the world

January 31, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  5. Lou

When she explains the factors that lead to the decision she is then label as "running from her past". Prior to the explaination she was criticised for evading the question. No explanation is good enough as the answer, until she states she was wrong and then I am sure she will be criticised for that answer. It just the senseless waste of time to listen to the pundits.

January 31, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  6. Vermel

Sorry-i'm just so pleased with the responses from both candidates. The question asked was would they consider running together as pres. and vp. At this point I don't know who I'll vote for but I would like wht loser to run as vp. Make sense?

January 31, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  7. Ray

Obama brings me to tears also. Tears from being scared if he wins!!

January 31, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  8. Jeff

Hiliary's signature line has been that she is ready day one. Barack effectively countered it tonight with his statement that it's not about being "ready" on day one, it's about being right. That was his biggest win of the evening, no doubt about it.

January 31, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  9. GW

I think this debate was wonderful. They stayed on message. Now I think it's up to the people to decide which candidate clearly executed their plans, ideas and values. I am a Obama supporter but I think they both did well to keep the Democratic party united.

January 31, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  10. Barb

I love them both!! Obama is my favorite because he is new, fresh and unites. I'm afraid Clinton will cause more polorization from those outside the party.

January 31, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  11. Janet

Hillary does have a past she has to run from. Another reason I'm for Barack.

January 31, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  12. LapisLazuli

Alright, on a superficial note – I have worked in television for three years and was an audio engineer for two – can't your operator bring up Wolf's mic so he can actually play MC on this broadcast? Yeesh. This is what happens when the cable networks with their inexperience take over the job that the big broadcast networks with all their experience do flawlessly and professionally.

January 31, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  13. George

again I must stress how much clinton is on her stump speech and not really not detaling her positions. It sounds like at time she tries then she goes back to the stump speech

January 31, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  14. Raul the Magnificent

She can run but she cannot hide from her lack of judgment!!!

Barack is the man and the one for our country...

BARACK AND ROLL BABY 2008 is here and Jan 2009 is thank God just around the corner..

January 31, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  15. Tia

The topic of the war in Iraq is the weakest point for Hillary Clinton without doubt! The war and more so the ongoing occupation is very complicated and not a black or white answer. To say I never voted for the war does not in any way provide a route to remove our troops, nor does voting "for the war"(a misnomer since it was an authorization for THREAT of force only) does not mean one will keep the troops in Iraq. I think all Democrats and most sane people can agree that getting out troops out is the most important factor in this. There is a level of nuance that does not provide for a simple soundbite. I have little doubt that Clinton understands the finer aspects of policy. I do not doubt that Obama has people that understand them also, but I rarely hear him mention nuances since he tends to speak in large black and white terms. I do not mean black and white in the race sence just a lack of the details that mean EVERYTHING in policy debate.

This was the only point tonight Obama won on during the debate but it was a very strong point for many Democrats.

January 31, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  16. Meir Kroll

Did anyone notice what happend at the end there..... Barack actually straitened his chair after he got up when the debate was over! Unfortunately I can't say the same for hilary... I think that says alot about a person. Especially someone at that epitome of power to still be grounded enough to do something like that. BARACK OBAMA ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!

January 31, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  17. Frances

When will you come out with your official endorsement for Obama, Bill?

January 31, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  18. Patrick of Albany NY

Bill Schneider, you are a spin machine. You would make an excellent washing machine.

January 31, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  19. Doc Bee

Good talking point Bill, judgement is the most fundamental quality a President can have. Its clearly that Hillary's was clouded from her experience from the Clinton wars, which for the most part, were waged using artillary and airstrikes. She didnt think bush would invade and neither did Saddam.

January 31, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  20. Amy

Clinton won the debate.

January 31, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  21. CG in Brooklyn

I'm really disappointed to see this stream of blogs from CNN which seem to be so clearly endorsing one of the candidates rather than providing coverage and analysis.

January 31, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  22. Kevin Ardery

I cannot believe the 2 people asking the questions. What softball questions without any follow-up. The illegal immigration issue is costing African-Americans jobs as well as all Americans. Look at the statistics. The illegal immigration problem is causing hospitals to close and putting a serious tax burden on our schools! It is causing our crime rate to be higher. For Obama to poo-poo this and want drivers license's for illegals because of safety issues? He is pandering and is ill-informed. The African-American youth do not have jobs because their out of wedlock birth rate is 70%! Their dropout rate is over 50% These are facts!
    Have your to liberal idiots asking questions to ask Obama about that. You have to stay in school and get educated! Otherwise no amount of money by the federal government is going to solve the problem. The only thing that solves the problem is personal responsibility.

Sincerely Yours,
    Kevin Ardery

January 31, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  23. Janice

I'm not impressed. Barak is 10 times better candidate than her. He should have cut her more.

January 31, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  24. Jeanette J

Pleeeezzzz Bill, give the negativity a rest. The intelligence of these two people is amazing.

January 31, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  25. Mehrak

Yes stop taking side and do your job ..why you are endorsing Obama .

January 31, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |