January 31st, 2008

Schneider: health care takes center stage

Obama is very clever, to mention Ted Kennedy early in the evening – and follow that reference with a reminder of his bi-partisan credentials. This is a very important point: no major policy initiative in the United States can be passed without bi-partisan consensus. That’s the way our system was designed, and he understands that.

Meanwhile, Clinton is seizing universal health care as her issue – saying, in a very subtle way: I’m for universal health care, and he’s not. This is a core Democratic issue

She also takes a much more conciliatory view of insurance companies – we have to work with them instead of fighting them. That may not be a view that resonates with Edwards supporters.

Related: Watch the candidates debate health care

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Casey

If you have the two of them trying to tackle problems America will become great again!

January 31, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  2. agron

Great job Hillary you rock...2–0 for Clinton...

January 31, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  3. Kim

Bill – I don't think Obama mentioning Ted Kennedy is going to mean anything in the health care debate. It is Hillary's strong policy and is very popular among with her among voters.

January 31, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  4. Ed

They're both very good. I just feel like Obama is the future and Hillary is the past.

January 31, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  5. Evan

I loved how Obama mentoined IL in his response was very smart since he brought people in IL together...

January 31, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  6. Geri

Can you not wait for the debate to get over to start bashing Clinton & praising Obama???? What bias!!!

January 31, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  7. Austin

Dear CNN,

Can we see fair coverage tonight? And not an OBVIOUS endorsement of Barack Obama?

Sincerely,

An ardent supporter of the formerly unbiased CNN.

January 31, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  8. keith Pike

Something is happening here, at the end did i hear them both agree on computer part

January 31, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  9. Murry

Obama has a broader view than Hillary. He sees the big picture. He sees the people behind the issues. Hillary just throws a bunch of numbers at us.

January 31, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  10. Edison

I don´t understand...isn´t both opinions the same thing? They both offer insurance coverage to everybody but in different aproaches.

January 31, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  11. Canada

I think Obama 's plans works!

January 31, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  12. Dan, TX

Barack is right. People have to have some level of personal responsibility. For God's sake, do we have to feed people for them so we can be sure they have a good diet?

Who doesn't want health insurance? Anyone here who does not want health insurance for their family?

January 31, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  13. evelyn

Hillary health plac is more comprehensible and will be offered to everyone. Barack doesn't seem to care about those who do not want to buy into it, so it will still be up to those of us who have Health ins to still pay for those who do not. Wa

January 31, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  14. Edo Roshi

I'm for completely socialized health care. Anything else just won't work. Cuba and France can teach us more about health care than any of the presidential candidates.

January 31, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  15. Andrew

Health care is obviously very important as is a stronger economy but what about all of the irresponsible spending and the four generations plus of a growing welfare population. Creating jobs is great but what is no one wants to work?

January 31, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  16. crews2me

I'm uncomfortable with the Clinton mandate on health care and believe choice does matter.

January 31, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  17. renita

I have read Hillary health care program and I think it is well thought out and planed for people that do not have health care or my have health care and can't afford it. Hillary is not Bill let make that clear and give her a chance just like we are giving Obama. She must be judge on her own merit.

January 31, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  18. Sharen Wolke

I agree with Barack Obama. People have a level of personal responsibility for health care, however, the majority of the individuals that are without health care insurance have to make a decision of necessity. Do I pay for my food or do I pay for my medication.

As a registered nurse I have seen the tragedies of our poor health care system.
    The insurance companies and Pharmaceutical's are controlling our health care. Why do we pay twice as much for the same medication in America vs in Canada when the medication is made in Europe?

Sharen, IL