January 31st, 2008

Schneider: Not making the choice any easier

Former presidents Bush and Clinton attended the funeral of former Russian president Boris Yeltsin together in 2007.

The question of the past vs. the future keeps raising its head – this time in a question that raises the dynastic concerns in the minds of many Americans: nearly three straight decades of a Bush or a Clinton on the presidential ballot.

Clinton turns the question on its head, repeating a pithy campaign trail formulation that always resonates with Democratic audiences: it takes a Clinton to clean up after a Bush.

The happiest man this evening? Howard Dean. So far tonight, the Democratic party is the big winner. This debate clearly beats last night’s debate. But if you’re trying to use the forum to decide which candidate to support, you might come away more uncertain than ever.

Related: Watch Hillary Clinton take a dig at President Bush

–CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Patti T

I agree tonights debate may make an undecided person even more undecided. I am very pleased with the way both Obama and Hillary are keeping their debate on an even keel, and keeping the arguing out of it.
    Thank you.

January 31, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  2. frank

hillary is dominating a long speech for every question

January 31, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  3. KJM

The only reason this debate is better than last night is because the moderator / questioners are not BAITING the candidates.

January 31, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  4. Tim

I'm Irish watching this across the Atlantic. Hillary tonight has spoken with meaning and has provided substance. I CANNOT BELIEVE so many Americans are swayed just because Obama utters "hope" or "change" or an ironic endorsement from a Presidential dynasty of the past. Obama would make a good President but Hillary would make a great President.

January 31, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  5. Justin McKamey

She stood by her "man" because that's what a wife is supposed to do. She took vowels to support him in his worst of times and best of times. Just because she stood by her husband doesn't make her a weak person, it only empowers her as a woman and a human being.

January 31, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  6. hc

It'd be really nice to hear commentary that gives the perspective of so many women in America – Barack's body language (cocked head and arm on her chair) is increasingly typical of him. Give Hillary a little respect – if Barack were a woman you'd be saying "not bad for such a neophyte!"

January 31, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  7. Scott

Hilllary is not deflecting a thing. It is envigorating to hear her respond to actual questions/issues.

January 31, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  8. FLgirl

what is up with Wolf? Why does he keep telling Obama he is taking swipes at Hillary? It's a debate. Obama is being pretty darn civil. Wolf is acting like her protector for God's sake. She seems to be doing fine both on defense AND offense.

January 31, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  9. Karen

This is strictly a personality debate.
    It's how many people would invite Hillary for dinner vs. how would invite Obama.
    It's who likes Hillarys jewelry vs. Obamas tie.

January 31, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  10. Dan T

I really think that regardless of the person chosen the Democratic candidate will be a harbinger of the changes we need in this country. It's a win win.

January 31, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  11. Sonia

Hillary gives very good answers. Hillary keep up, your are strong, this is what we need.

January 31, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  12. Ken

Who will clean up after Bill?...........................Another Intern?

January 31, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  13. Peggy

Whoa! I want to hear about the issues and what her plans are, keep private lives out of the discussion.

January 31, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  14. RobC

I have been, and will stay an stringent Obama supporter. However, this debate is what I hoped for all along. I think Obama will make a better President, as he is a proven uniter. I will say that Senator Clinton has debated the issues admirably and honarably (tonight...so far). This debate has made me confident that I can vote for the Democratic nominee, no matter who it is.

January 31, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  15. Nancy

Regarding "Kennedy" endorsements, one wonders what Maria Schriver thinks? Hey, Mrs. Terminator– are you with Arnold or Uncle Ted? Just idle curiosity.... Nancy in Minneapolis

January 31, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  16. Frank

I think that Romney had it right: Can you really imagine Bill in the White House with nothing to do. Do we need a two family 28 year royalty? How much different than Singapore, Pakistan etc

January 31, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  17. Patti T

i would be pleased with which ever one is nominated with the other being thier running partner. They would be a force to be reconned with.

January 31, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  18. George

It seems as if they want them to really take shots at each other for the ratings... Hillary is really on her stump speeches tonight.... she is tactially speaking at cali voters.

January 31, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  19. Betty Rose

Joe H-You are right!
    It feels like they have listened to President Bill that the Press needs to be hard on Barak.

January 31, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  20. evelyn

Old vs New Barack cannot use that anymore since the endorsement he received from Ted Kennedy he is the oldest establishment going.
    And Bobby Kennedys children are backing Hillary, wasn't their father more of a civil rights leader then Ted? There is something wrong with this picture.

January 31, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  21. dawn coe

I pretty much gave my vote to Ms. Clinton after the experience question. And for the record she served an entire term more in the senate than he did, didn't she?

January 31, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  22. Democrat

Strongest Ticket will be for them both to be on it. No matter who the VP is. This debate is preparation for that, look how dignified, respectful, and presidential they both are being tonight.!!!

January 31, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  23. Laura Nieto

My name is Laura Nieto, and I am a latina woman and first time voter. I have lived in this country for 40 years. My first seven years I lived in NY and worked in factories and babysitting. Then I joined the Army because I wanted to go to college on the G-IBill. I was sent to Germany and traveled the world almost 25 countries. I became a teacher and now I am ready to vote for the first time in my life. I am ready this time to vote for both of them!
    I think Senator Clinton and Senator Omaba are equally great people to lead the USA.
    I wish the two of them get together and run the country one as a president and the other as a vice-president
    Please send my message. They both have different intelligences therefore they differ in how to deal with issues. Please let them change our USA History for the first time in the history of the USA..

January 31, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  24. Barbara

If she wants to be judged on her own merits she should stop bringing up Bill's accomplishments. Can't have it both ways.

January 31, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  25. 5th Watcher

It takes a Clinton to clean up after a Bush: A clever comment, but I hope it is not WITTS that will cause people to vote one way or another.

January 31, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |